Sleep Science Ara Foam Mattress at Costco
Feb 7, 2009 1:41 AM
I couldn't find much information online about this mattress, but since it was from Costco I decided to give it a shot. I figured I'd give a little review of it so far since no one seems to have purchased one so far.

The mattress is currently on sale for $1099 (queen size, normal price $1399) including foundation.

These are the specs from Costco:
  • 13” pillow top mattress fits the dimensions of your bed
  • Limited Warranty: 20 years
  • Cover is bamboo fabric consisting of three layers.  This fabric is 300g/m2, the percentage of bamboo is 40%, nylon is 40%, polyester is 20%.
  • Cover top layer: 100% bamboo fabric
  • Middle layer: 100% nylon
  • Bottom layer: 100% polyester. 
  • Micro-suede cover sides are 100% polyester
  • Mattress core top layer: 3 inches 5-lb visco foam, 11-13 IFD
  • Second layer: 3-5/8 inches 5-lb visco foam, 11-13 IFD
  • Third layer: ½ inch air barrier
  • Fourth Layer: The Wedge Patented Edge Support System
  • Base layer: 6” Air Channel Base, dual density, dual IFD, relief cut urethane core
  • Queen mattress dimensions:
    60” W x 80” D x 13” H
    Weight: 196 lbs.

This is my first all foam mattress (previous was a "S" spring bed with a 3" foam topper) and so far (three nights) it has been fantastic. I'm a big guy (280lbs 5' 9") and really haven't had any problems sinking into all that foam (side and stomach sleeper), although it is a little harder getting in and out of the bed!

The mattress seems high quality and feels similar to the Temper-Pedic I tried. So far it doesn't sleep too hot for me.

Avoid the matching foundation. It comes fully assembled and is made of steel with plastic panels for support. While it works, I'm concerned about the cheap plastic support panels. For the price (about $200 extra for the matching set) I feel you can do better buying a foundation locally.

Delivery consisted of two large boxes, one for the mattress and one with the pre-assembled foundation. The manufacture date on my mattress was November 2008.

Assembly was easy, although the mattress alone weighs in at 132 pounds! After removing the plastic it only took about 30 minutes for it to fully decompress. Thankfully, the mattress is sealed in the zipper cover at the factory before packing! I thought I was going to have to install the cover myself! They make a big deal about the cover being made of "bamboo" fabric but it seemed just like a nice and soft cloth cover to me. You need to make sure that the cover doesn't get soiled or the bed warranty is voided!

Darren
This message was modified Feb 7, 2009 by dkcs

Recent Posts