Just ordered Sleepez 10000....
Dec 15, 2007 12:44 PM
Ok, I bit the bullet and ordered the SleepEZ 10000 and returned the Costco Comfortluxe.

I am a bit nervous about ordering a mattress without having tried it!  :)  However, what I really liked was Shawn even suggested I spend LESS and buy the 8500 model because "you just don't use more than 5.6/6" of foam." He said that until the mid-80s all the latex mattresses were just 6", but since then people think more is better. I ended up choosing the 10000 because of bed sheet fiting, Shawn said that sheets can be a bit of a pain to get for the thinner mattresses nowadays (Sheets are made for huge beds now)

So despite my nervousness on buying something sight unseen, I just keep telling myself all the wonderful reviews I have read here about the service level with Sleepez means it should be ok! :) (i hope :) ).
This message was modified Dec 15, 2007 by novahelp
Re: Just ordered Sleepez 10000....
Reply #84 Feb 18, 2008 10:14 AM
cloud9 wrote:
I was the one who suggested unzipping the mattress cover. It gives you more slack and allows the foam to conform to your body without the trampoline effect of the cover interfering. Here's another combination you can try:

Medum / soft/ x-firm.

I found this configuration to be the most comfortable. The medium on the top will feel much softer with the soft layer beneath it than it will with another medium underneath.

Sounds like you've just experienced one of the negative characteristics of Talalay latex--that old sinking feeling. Your ice analogy was perfect. That's exactly it. Your hips go down and your shoulders stay up. I found this produced a horrible amount of upper back fatigue. The only work-around for that was an extremely firm configuration that made me sore all over, so I was never able to make the mattress comfortable for me, but it sounds like you're getting there.

What's frustrating is that I am so close!  I just find that at my hip bone the foam compresses a touch too much and it gets hard there (or compresses enough that I can feel the floor at that spot). Otherwise, the foam is PERFECT. Grrrrr I can't take it anymore! :)

I tried lots of combos for the foam, and the end result, the wool cover is just not comfortable for me.  It hurts my butt when I lay on my back, and hurts my hip when I lay on my side.
This message was modified Feb 18, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #85 Feb 20, 2008 2:16 PM
Novahelp,
Sounds like you are "just about there" with your matress adjustments.

It can be rather hetic with all the mattress latex combinations trying to get that middle ground between comfort & support but it will all be worth it in the end.

Also-
I PMed you about your mattress cover too.

Jeff
Reply #86 Feb 20, 2008 6:56 PM
JCturboT wrote:
Novahelp,
Sounds like you are "just about there" with your matress adjustments.

It can be rather hetic with all the mattress latex combinations trying to get that middle ground between comfort & support but it will all be worth it in the end.

Also-
I PMed you about your mattress cover too.

Jeff

Actually, it is not working out. I am going to be returning the whole thing. 

After trying now both latex and memory foam I think the problem I am having with the latex bed kit (which was also the same problem I had with a Costco memory foam bed I tried), that when I make the bed soft enough for me, my hips compress the softer foam layers so much that the foam essentially becomes hard at my hips.  Therefore, I need to use the firmer layers (i.e. medium-firm-xfirm) so the foam is strong enough to hold me without compressing; the problem is that then this combination is too firm for me. 

That is what I have learned about foam. It is not a very flexible bed material. You have to get pretty much EXACTLY the foam density and ILD for your body, or it just won't work.  Spring mattresses IMHO while not as potentially comfortable, have greater ranges where people can find them comfortable.   Just my $0.02 after about 4 months of non-stop mattress foam building research and trying. :(
This message was modified Feb 20, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #87 Feb 20, 2008 8:57 PM
Novahelp,
Sorry to hear that-

Did you talk to Shawn @ SleepEZ for the cost of a return charge?

Jeff
Reply #88 Feb 20, 2008 9:06 PM
JCturboT wrote:
Novahelp,
Sorry to hear that-

Did you talk to Shawn @ SleepEZ for the cost of a return charge?

Jeff

Nope not yet. It should be a 15% restocking fee + shipping back.

This experiment is going to be a $400 mistake.
Reply #89 Feb 20, 2008 10:28 PM
That is why I went with FloBeds.com knowing that if I decided Latex was not for me it would not cost me anything but shipping the bed back with no restocking fee. I also knew I could watch the website and email Dave when the price went down. I got a few mark downs making my bed no more than if I bought it ast SleepEZ but with the peace of mind in knowing I could get a full refund if I needed to send it back.  I do like having a latex bed despite the work in getting it right since I wake up with no allergies and I sleep better.

But I am sorry Novahelp that your SleepEZ Latex bed did not work out for you.  But I really think if you had a more comforming zipped up cover like my bed came with and a topper that was soft and not more than 2" over a firm foundation, you would like your latex bed.  I could not sleep on Latex without my 1" soft topper since I like the other layers under me very firm and I like a tiny bit of cushion.  I also love my zippped up mattress cover that has a little give in it.

This message was modified Feb 20, 2008 by Lynn2006
Reply #90 Feb 20, 2008 10:40 PM
Or you can have a mattress like mine which is both coils and latex and some HR PU foam thrown in. I feel I truly got the best of both worlds with the ability to change what's inside if need be. I'm sorry your all-latex kit didn't work out. I don't think I would feel good without some type of coil system, as well as latex and whatever materials feel good on my body.

Good luck finding that perfect mattress!

novahelp wrote:
Actually, it is not working out. I am going to be returning the whole thing.  <BR><BR>After trying now both latex and memory foam I think the problem I am having with the latex bed kit (which was also the same problem I had with a Costco memory foam bed I tried), that when I make the bed soft enough for me, my hips compress the softer foam layers so much that the foam essentially becomes hard at my hips.  Therefore, I need to use the firmer layers (i.e. medium-firm-xfirm) so the foam is strong enough to hold me without compressing; the problem is that then this combination is too firm for me.  <BR><BR><BR>That is what I have learned about foam. It is not a very flexible bed material. You have to get pretty much EXACTLY the foam density and ILD for your body, or it just won't work.  Spring mattresses IMHO while not as potentially comfortable, have greater ranges where people can find them comfortable.   Just my $0.02 after about 4 months of non-stop mattress foam building research and trying. :(
Reply #91 Feb 20, 2008 10:45 PM
Lynn2006 wrote:
That is why I went with FloBeds.com knowing that if I decided Latex was not for me it would not cost me anything but shipping the bed back with no restocking fee. I also knew I could watch the website and email Dave when the price went down. I got a few mark downs making my bed no more than if I bought it ast SleepEZ but with the peace of mind in knowing I could get a full refund if I needed to send it back.  I do like having a latex bed despite the work in getting it right since I wake up with no allergies and I sleep better.

But I am sorry Novahelp that your SleepEZ Latex bed did not work out for you.  But I really think if you had a more comforming zipped up cover like my bed came with and a topper that was soft and not more than 2" over a firm foundation, you would like your latex bed.  I could not sleep on Latex without my 1" soft topper since I like the other layers under me very firm and I like a tiny bit of cushion.  I also love my zippped up mattress cover that has a little give in it.

You may be right, but honestly i am just sick of all this work. These kits, and foam beds in general, are just a lot of work as evidenced by the many many threads seen here of people trying to get foams to work well for them.

Oh and I am using a terrycloth cover, not sure how  much more conforming a cover one could get... but that's what tempurpedic uses as well...

At some point you just have to cut your losses. I mean what am I supposed to do , go buy a zippered case, then buy another layer of foam in hopes of making this work? Then what, if that doesn't work i am out even more money... at some point, you just take a loss. It was a gamble that I thought would work out for me, but it just didn't. I hope this crazy long thread describing my experience ultimately helps a few other people out there to help them understand the process that MIGHT take place when you attempt a kit purchase.  You have to understand, this is the THIRD FOAM mattress type i have tried -- I tried a Costco Novaform memory foam, tried to build a cheaperpedic, and now latex.  They all failed. 

My 10 yr old Sams club mattress was great for the first 8 years, was $300, and never caused me this much physical pain and mental aggrevation :)

I will contact Sleepez in the next couple of days and find out how the heck do I possibly repackage all this stuff into the 3 original boxes... my god, it's going to be awful!  I have to go to Costco and order a decent spring mattress. At least with Costco.com you get free shipping on both the delivery and the return if you don't like it. Risk free trial I say!
Reply #92 Feb 20, 2008 10:51 PM
Novahelp, my friend, Dennis loves Costco also.  Good luck with your new bed.  Let us know what bed you chose from Costco and how it works out for you. My other friend LOVES Kingsdown and she has a bad back but likes a little softness over a firm bed.  You may want to try that brand out also.
Reply #93 Feb 20, 2008 10:53 PM
BeddyBye wrote:
Or you can have a mattress like mine which is both coils and latex and some HR PU foam thrown in. I feel I truly got the best of both worlds with the ability to change what's inside if need be. I'm sorry your all-latex kit didn't work out. I don't think I would feel good without some type of coil system, as well as latex and whatever materials feel good on my body.

Good luck finding that perfect mattress!

I think you are correct. I now believe I am a spring bed person and will need to throw on a nice topper to get the best of both worlds.

What if I keep the SOFT layer from Sleepez as a topper, is that too soft for a spring mattress topper?

Recent Posts