Just ordered Sleepez 10000....
Dec 15, 2007 12:44 PM
Ok, I bit the bullet and ordered the SleepEZ 10000 and returned the Costco Comfortluxe.

I am a bit nervous about ordering a mattress without having tried it!  :)  However, what I really liked was Shawn even suggested I spend LESS and buy the 8500 model because "you just don't use more than 5.6/6" of foam." He said that until the mid-80s all the latex mattresses were just 6", but since then people think more is better. I ended up choosing the 10000 because of bed sheet fiting, Shawn said that sheets can be a bit of a pain to get for the thinner mattresses nowadays (Sheets are made for huge beds now)

So despite my nervousness on buying something sight unseen, I just keep telling myself all the wonderful reviews I have read here about the service level with Sleepez means it should be ok! :) (i hope :) ).
This message was modified Dec 15, 2007 by novahelp
Re: Just ordered Sleepez 10000....
Reply #1 Dec 15, 2007 1:19 PM
Novahelp Good luck with your new purchase. Please let us know how you like your new bed and the latex kit when it arrives.  I think it is better to go with the thicker mattress so you have more latex combination choices.  I feel you will be happy.
Reply #2 Dec 15, 2007 2:02 PM
Thanks! I hope so!! Will definitely report back.

BTW, I went with (at Shawn's suggestion) Medium-Firm-Xfirm
Reply #3 Dec 15, 2007 6:49 PM
What are the ILD's for those combination Latex Cores Novahelp? I am just curious since I know Sleepies ILD are different from FloBeds ILD's for what they name the core. For instance, I have one one side of my bed a 1.5" soft non-convoluted topper over a 44 ILD (SUPER FIRM per FloBeds) over a 36 ILD (Extra Firm FloBeds calls this) over a 36 ILD.  On my other side of the bed. I have the same topper over a 36 ILD that averages out to over 37 ILD over a 44 ILD that averages out to over a 45 ILD over a 36 ILD over a solid pine slat box with organic cotton sides over 10" legs.  The mattress is incased in a zippered cotton/wool cover (the previous one was organic so I am not sure about this one but it is wonderful) and looks like a real mattress when zipped up.  I think SleepEZ's Extra Firm is 40 ILD. I do wish FloBeds had a 40 ILD latex core but otherwise I am very happy with my Latex Kit from Flobeds.com.

I am sure you will be happy too from your latex kit from SleepEZ.com. Just trry out the different combinations for awhile before making a decison to exchange a latex core.  Also did you get the split cores like I got to give you more latex combinations and to make it easier to move around?

Reply #4 Dec 15, 2007 7:36 PM
Congrats Nova, having gone from memory foam to latex, I think you'll be pleased. 

Be sure to report back.

Reply #5 Dec 15, 2007 8:03 PM
Foam Nerd
I was interested to note that all of the mattresses shown on the Dunlopillo (U.K. manufacturer of latex) website are no more than 8" thick.
Reply #6 Dec 15, 2007 8:49 PM
Lynn2006 wrote:
What are the ILD's for those combination Latex Cores Novahelp? I am just curious since I know Sleepies ILD are different from FloBeds ILD's for what they name the core. For instance, I have one one side of my bed a 1.5" soft non-convoluted topper over a 44 ILD (SUPER FIRM per FloBeds) over a 36 ILD (Extra Firm FloBeds calls this) over a 36 ILD.  On my other side of the bed. I have the same topper over a 36 ILD that averages out to over 37 ILD over a 44 ILD that averages out to over a 45 ILD over a 36 ILD over a solid pine slat box with organic cotton sides over 10" legs.  The mattress is incased in a zippered cotton/wool cover (the previous one was organic so I am not sure about this one but it is wonderful) and looks like a real mattress when zipped up.  I think SleepEZ's Extra Firm is 40 ILD. I do wish FloBeds had a 40 ILD latex core but otherwise I am very happy with my Latex Kit from Flobeds.com.

I am sure you will be happy too from your latex kit from SleepEZ.com. Just trry out the different combinations for awhile before making a decison to exchange a latex core.  Also did you get the split cores like I got to give you more latex combinations and to make it easier to move around?

Yes, i got split cores. Here are the firmness from the web site.

4 Firmness Choices For Each Layer
Soft
22-24 ILD
Medium
30-32 ILD
Firm
38-40 ILD
X Firm
44 ILD
Thank you Novahelp- Re: Just ordered Sleepez 10000....
Reply #7 Dec 16, 2007 12:22 PM
Novahelp thanks for sharing.  I hope you continue to be happy with your SleepEZ bed and your configuration you chose.  It seems you like a firm bed also like I do. 

My configuration (FloBeds) is similar but a little more firm than yours but with a 1.5" soft topper over a 44 ILD over a 36 ILD over a 36 ILD.  I tried the medium firmness (32 ILD at FloBeds) and it was too soft for me but that was before I had a 44 ILD to put under it so maybe I would have loved your configuration also if I had no topper.  But I still think I can not go softer than a 36 ILD in my configuration and I like having a little cushion near my pressure points I found out from my experiences these past several months of trial and error in getting my bed just right. I loved the 1" topper over my 36 ILD over my 44 ILD over a 36 ILD the best but the Overstock topper was flimsy and not holding up well so that is why I went with the 1.5" sturdier topper from FloBeds.  I feel everyone should have at least one 44 ILD in their configuration if they are going with 3 or more layers.  I wanted a 44 ILD but did not order it at first due to it being blended latex and I was trying to stay with all natural latex but I feel the Talalay latex blended does a good job at making the product safe for me since it is not bothering me and I am chemically sensitive. Most of my latex mattress is 100% natural but I have added the two blended 44 ILD latex cores and a soft latex pillow from FloBeds that Dave made less thick for me to accommodate my small size and like for flatter latex pillows.   I know when I had two 36 ILD's over the slat box with no third layer, it was very firm and needed on 44 ILD latex core but the mattress was too thin for my sheets and too low for the height of my new beautiful Iron Headboard.  I also love my 10" legs that allow storage under my bed and are sturdy making the bed feel very solid and make the bed a nice height for me.

This message was modified Dec 16, 2007 by Lynn2006
Reply #8 Dec 16, 2007 3:17 PM
I haven't actually gotten my bed yet :)

I don't really like a firm bed. But because of my size, Shawn strongly suggested I start with that configuration. He said most people find the SOFT layer to be too soft once they try it, and given my size he said to definitely start with Medium-Firm-X-firm.
Reply #9 Dec 16, 2007 6:24 PM
Novahelp, I feel you will be happy with the configuration you chose since lying on the Medium is supportive but very cushiony I found out. I have a slight case of Scoliosis so I do not like sinking into a bed and have always slept on a very firm bed that had no topper so it is surprising to me that a little bit of cushion is actually comfortable with support underneath.
This message was modified Dec 16, 2007 by Lynn2006
Reply #10 Dec 26, 2007 5:43 PM
Just put it together.  Funny thing, the case was too small initially. Called Shawn and before I could finish my question he explained that the case gets stretched by the foam. It did and it is a perfect fit.  Will report back over the next couple nights. Very initial impression, i like this more than memory foam!  another impression, I may want to switch to a softer layer on top...
Reply #11 Dec 26, 2007 7:48 PM
Thanks Nova. 

Personally I prefer a soft, some would say unbearably soft, feel.  I think you will have to find what works best for you.

Reply #12 Dec 27, 2007 4:21 AM
ow!  Yep, given the time I am posting, this mattress is much too hard for me I think...

or, are the years of sleeping on memory foam made latex not good for me?   I had to put the 3" fbm topper on top of the mattress to soften it up.

I am beginning to think this was a mistake the latex foam.  It's just awful.  Please tell me that latex can be much softer than this? :)
This message was modified Dec 27, 2007 by novahelp
Reply #13 Dec 27, 2007 9:08 AM
My first night felt way too firm and that was with 3" 20 ILD, 3" 32 ILD, and 5" 50 IFD PU foam.  The second night was much better.  I added another 2" 32 ILD latex in an attempt to get me further off the PU foam.  Better, but still not soft enough, so I'm adding some 16-18 ILD latex.
Reply #14 Dec 27, 2007 9:30 AM
ericgl wrote:
My first night felt way too firm and that was with 3" 20 ILD, 3" 32 ILD, and 5" 50 IFD PU foam.  The second night was much better.  I added another 2" 32 ILD latex in an attempt to get me further off the PU foam.  Better, but still not soft enough, so I'm adding some 16-18 ILD latex.

I hope I don't have to do all that. I thought by spending  the $$ I wouldn't have to start spending even more on top of it nor create a frankenbed :)
I guess I like a very soft bed that is supportive, which I didn't know before (or realize). I will call Shawn to discuss later today.  OUCH!!!!! 

Currently I have with this with the sleepez 10000 that makes is ok & slightly comfy, but hardly worth $1550 :(

3:" FBM memory foam 15 ILD , 5.5lbs topper
2.8 Latex medium 30-32 ILD
2.8 Latex firm  38-40 ILD
2.8 Latex x-firm 44 ILD
This message was modified Dec 27, 2007 by novahelp
Reply #15 Dec 27, 2007 7:01 PM
I would check with Shawn about the advisability of trading your extra firm layer for a soft layer.  I find that latex is supportive even when the ILD is low (unlike memory foam).
Reply #16 Dec 27, 2007 10:30 PM
Novahelp, I would ask Shawn to change the bottom two firm and extra firm layers for two medium ILD layers.  I know before I got any 44 ILD's here, my bed was too soft and I was amazed at the difference between a 36 ILD and a 44 ILD. So I would return the 44 ILD and maybe the 38 ILD and get all 32 ILD's in your case.

I like a firm bed so that configuration would be too soft for me.  For myself I am finding the new medium soft (wish it was very soft instead) 1.5" topper is not good for me since it is too firm right next to my body and I have to keep it on a 44 ILD to be somewhat comfortable since over a 36 ILD it is so uncomfortable with too much thickness. If it was very soft (my fault since Dave at FloBeds.com asked me what I wanted and I had no idea what the ILD on my 1" overstock topper was), I would sink in despite being only about 100 lbs and have some cushion but still feel the 36 ILD underneath me with the two 44 ILD's. I am going to go upstairs right now and put my 1" topper back on over the 36 ILD over two 44 ILD's to get to the way I was comfortable before. I just did not like the fact that the overstock 1" topper was falling apart. If this is perfect again for me, I will call Dave to ask him to get me a 1" very soft Talalay Latex Topper since I gave back my 2" Talalay latex topper since it was too soft for me. :)  We have the opposite problem with me liking my beds very firm but with a little cushion. Due to my car accident and hurting my back and neck, Dave said he'd give me more time to try out the topper he was going to send me.  That is great customer service.  MY bed was at first too soft and I needed to do so many latex layers exhanges and I was amazed that I liked my bed so firm. But now I am finding out I like very very soft toppers that are thin.

But I heard Shawn at SleepEz..com gives good customer service also. Find out how many latex layer exchanges you can do. Hopefully Shawn will exchange two of the latex layers for you.

Reply #17 Dec 27, 2007 11:42 PM
After changing the topper, I found out that the 1.5" latex topper is a 22-23 ILD and not too firm but just not as soft as my 17 ILD latex topper. Maybe I needed a 15 ILD or maybe I just need to try the 1" topper tonight and tomorrow try the 1.5" topper over a 44 ILD over a 36ILD over a 44 ILD to see if this will be good since I just tired the 1.5" ILD over the floor and it was so comfortable.  I had my bed so comfortable and perfect before my car accident. Now with 5 herniated disks, I have to reconfigure it a bit. I am glad I at least can do this with my zippered cover. If I had a bed that I was stuck with the configuration, I would now be trying different toppers and hoping my bed would be too firm and not too soft since it is easier to soften a bed than make it firmer. 

Novahelp, do you have two sides of the bed or one big latex piece that covers both sides of the bed? If you have the split cores like I do, you could try the soft over a medium over a medium over a firm on your side to see if this would work. I love having split layers allowing me more combinations.

Reply #18 Dec 28, 2007 12:37 AM
Lynn2006 wrote:
Novahelp, I would ask Shawn to change the bottom two firm and extra firm layers for two medium ILD layers.  I know before I got any 44 ILD's here, my bed was too soft and I was amazed at the difference between a 36 ILD and a 44 ILD. So I would return the 44 ILD and maybe the 38 ILD and get all 32 ILD's in your case.

I like a firm bed so that configuration would be too soft for me.  For myself I am finding the new medium soft (wish it was very soft instead) 1.5" topper is not good for me since it is too firm right next to my body and I have to keep it on a 44 ILD to be somewhat comfortable since over a 36 ILD it is so uncomfortable with too much thickness. If it was very soft (my fault since Dave at FloBeds.com asked me what I wanted and I had no idea what the ILD on my 1" overstock topper was), I would sink in despite being only about 100 lbs and have some cushion but still feel the 36 ILD underneath me with the two 44 ILD's. I am going to go upstairs right now and put my 1" topper back on over the 36 ILD over two 44 ILD's to get to the way I was comfortable before. I just did not like the fact that the overstock 1" topper was falling apart. If this is perfect again for me, I will call Dave to ask him to get me a 1" very soft Talalay Latex Topper since I gave back my 2" Talalay latex topper since it was too soft for me. :)  We have the opposite problem with me liking my beds very firm but with a little cushion. Due to my car accident and hurting my back and neck, Dave said he'd give me more time to try out the topper he was going to send me.  That is great customer service.  MY bed was at first too soft and I needed to do so many latex layers exhanges and I was amazed that I liked my bed so firm. But now I am finding out I like very very soft toppers that are thin.

But I heard Shawn at SleepEz..com gives good customer service also. Find out how many latex layer exchanges you can do. Hopefully Shawn will exchange two of the latex layers for you.

Thanks for the thoughts.  The 10,000 unit only has 3 latex layers, the top memory foam layer I added after the awful sleep I got last night. The memory foam makes this bed tolerable while I wait to talk with shawn.  I did call Shawn today, left message and have not yet heard back.
Reply #19 Dec 28, 2007 12:40 AM
Lynn2006 wrote:
After changing the topper, I found out that the 1.5" latex topper is a 22-23 ILD and not too firm but just not as soft as my 17 ILD latex topper. Maybe I needed a 15 ILD or maybe I just need to try the 1" topper tonight and tomorrow try the 1.5" topper over a 44 ILD over a 36ILD over a 44 ILD to see if this will be good since I just tired the 1.5" ILD over the floor and it was so comfortable.  I had my bed so comfortable and perfect before my car accident. Now with 5 herniated disks, I have to reconfigure it a bit. I am glad I at least can do this with my zippered cover. If I had a bed that I was stuck with the configuration, I would now be trying different toppers and hoping my bed would be too firm and not too soft since it is easier to soften a bed than make it firmer. 

Novahelp, do you have two sides of the bed or one big latex piece that covers both sides of the bed? If you have the split cores like I do, you could try the soft over a medium over a medium over a firm on your side to see if this would work. I love having split layers allowing me more combinations.

I have it split sides. I guess I could try:

Medium
Medium
Firm

When I get Shawn to call me back I assume he will send me their split soft 22 ILD layer. Hopefully the soft can make this thing comfortable! :)
Reply #20 Dec 28, 2007 12:59 AM
Ok, this is what I am trying tonight as I don't have a soft layer to use:

Medium
Medium
X-firm

Funny, this is what Jeremy originally suggested too!

After a bit I switched it again to make it as soft as possible:

Medium
Medium
Firm

Phew, fingers crossed!
This message was modified Dec 28, 2007 by novahelp
Reply #21 Dec 28, 2007 2:03 AM
Then if the Medium over Medium over firm feels good, you can make the other side of the bed the same. If it is a little bit too firm, you can request another medium to put underneath so you have no firms.  Please let us know how this works out. I am glad I remembered the split layers so you could see if it would work out.  I must get to bed. 
Reply #22 Dec 28, 2007 7:59 AM
Lynn2006 wrote:
Then if the Medium over Medium over firm feels good, you can make the other side of the bed the same. If it is a little bit too firm, you can request another medium to put underneath so you have no firms.  Please let us know how this works out. I am glad I remembered the split layers so you could see if it would work out.  I must get to bed. 

Thanks I forgot that I could do this type of combination.

Reporting back from a so-so nights sleep.  It doesn't feel good. it is tolerable. :(  Hardly worth the amount of money I spent.

I think I may have figured out part of the problem.  The mattress case/shell is HARD. I am used to sleeping directly on memory foam which gives a soft luxurxious feel. The  mattress case is a wool top that makes it feel to me EXACTLY like a normal mattress with no conforming properties at all.  This wool top doesn't let the latex mold to my body -- it always feels stiff.  It is stiffness as well as the firmness that is the problem.

I think I need some other type of mattress case as well as getting a softer top layer.
Reply #23 Dec 28, 2007 8:14 AM
Reporting back:
I just put back on my 3" memory foam topper,  so I have the following:

3" memory foam
medium latex
medium latex
firm latex

This setup is too soft, however the awful feeling of the stiff wool top is no longer there. I think this is part of the problem!

I hope they have a different shell they can send me as this thing is not good to me at all.
Reply #24 Dec 28, 2007 9:58 AM
Can you describe the mattress cover a bit? There seems to be a lot of discussion about the latex on this board but very little about the mattress covers. Some of the mattress web sites seem to gloss over the details of the covers.

Is the fabric itself stiff? - like it is infused with silica (sand) or something else for fire retardancy reasons? Or is it stiff because it is a tight fit around the latex? The Sleep EZ web site describes a "luxury cotton cover quilted to wool".

Can anyone else comment on the mattress covers for other layered latex mattresses too?
Reply #25 Dec 28, 2007 11:39 AM
"The contribution of the cover deserves far more attention than it gets. Taut, non-stretch covers create a "hammock, or "trampoline" effect, are not enveloping, and can be uncomfortable. Paradoxically, softer latex may feel firmer. The 4 way stretch memory foam type covers are one good solution.
Reply #26 Dec 28, 2007 11:46 AM
I just spoke to Sean. He said he would send:

1) A terry cloth stretch mattress case. He thought this would be a lot softer than the wool one and give me the softer feel I am used to as compared to memory foam.
2) Soft latex layer

All shipped at no charge to me.  

Thus far, service is fantastic.
Reply #27 Dec 28, 2007 11:48 AM
mccldwll wrote:
"The contribution of the cover deserves far more attention than it gets. Taut, non-stretch covers create a "hammock, or "trampoline" effect, are not enveloping, and can be uncomfortable. Paradoxically, softer latex may feel firmer. The 4 way stretch memory foam type covers are one good solution.

That is exactly the problem I get, but couldn't describe it as well as you just did. This cover is not at all "enveloping", which is why I described above as feeling exactly like a normal mattress this latex foam.  :)

I just rotated my foam and with the case open laid down directly on the foam without the mattress closed:

medium
medium
X-firm

Wow, so much nicer when my body is in direct contact with the latex!!!!!  It actually envelopes my body just wonderfully!!!! :)

It is definitely the mattress case and it's resulting stiffness.

I hope the stretch terry cover fixes this, otherwise I may just sleep directly on the foam :)
Reply #28 Dec 28, 2007 7:41 PM
novahelp wrote:
I just spoke to Sean. He said he would send:

1) A terry cloth stretch mattress case. He thought this would be a lot softer than the wool one and give me the softer feel I am used to as compared to memory foam.
2) Soft latex layer

All shipped at no charge to me.  

Thus far, service is fantastic.

Now THAT is customer service! 
Reply #29 Dec 28, 2007 7:59 PM
Novahelp, I am glad I was able to help you reminding you that you have split layers so to at least make one side of your bed the way you want it to be and then work on your other side. 

I am glad SleepEZ is living up to their reputation like I thought they would with their service.

I know FloBeds shipped me so far three toppers at no charge to help me since I loved the bed but did not like the too thick too soft 2" topper that came with the mattress since I did not sink in enough (being only not quite 5 feet tall and not quite 100 lbs) to feel the firmness underneath that I need since I am used to a very firm bed. 

I was also shipped at no charge higher legs to go with my new Iron Headboard and I was overnighted the attachments for the headboard so they would be here when my headboard arrived. I was sent a newer and softer cover when Dave got them in.

So far I have heard mostly all good from FloBeds.com and SleepEZ.com on their family owned businesses giving great customer service.

Novahelp, hang in there and be patient. You will be able to tweak the bed to be comfortable and you will then love it.

I had a wonderful night's sleep with my 1" very soft topper again (over 36 ILD over 44 ILD over 44 ILD)  but I really want to like the 1.5" 22 - 23 ILD topper since it is sturdier and fits my queen bed better so I will try it out again tomorrow with another combination. I still wish I had a 1.5" topper on the top of my shoulders and 1" below my shoulders both in soft since that is how it is most comfortable. But I do love my Latex bed and how I can move latex cores around. I also love the new latex cover Dave sent me a few months ago since it is soft and more comfirming.

Novahelp, Please let us know how the Terry Cloth Cover is since that sounds like the best of both worlds.

Reply #30 Dec 29, 2007 3:08 PM
Lynn2006 wrote:
Novahelp, I am glad I was able to help you reminding you that you have split layers so to at least make one side of your bed the way you want it to be and then work on your other side. 

I am glad SleepEZ is living up to their reputation like I thought they would with their service.

I know FloBeds shipped me so far three toppers at no charge to help me since I loved the bed but did not like the too thick too soft 2" topper that came with the mattress since I did not sink in enough (being only not quite 5 feet tall and not quite 100 lbs) to feel the firmness underneath that I need since I am used to a very firm bed. 

I was also shipped at no charge higher legs to go with my new Iron Headboard and I was overnighted the attachments for the headboard so they would be here when my headboard arrived. I was sent a newer and softer cover when Dave got them in.

So far I have heard mostly all good from FloBeds.com and SleepEZ.com on their family owned businesses giving great customer service.

Novahelp, hang in there and be patient. You will be able to tweak the bed to be comfortable and you will then love it.

I had a wonderful night's sleep with my 1" very soft topper again (over 36 ILD over 44 ILD over 44 ILD)  but I really want to like the 1.5" 22 - 23 ILD topper since it is sturdier and fits my queen bed better so I will try it out again tomorrow with another combination. I still wish I had a 1.5" topper on the top of my shoulders and 1" below my shoulders both in soft since that is how it is most comfortable. But I do love my Latex bed and how I can move latex cores around. I also love the new latex cover Dave sent me a few months ago since it is soft and more comfirming.

Novahelp, Please let us know how the Terry Cloth Cover is since that sounds like the best of both worlds.

I will definitely report back. It will take about 1.5 weeks for the new stuff to arrive.
In the meantime, thankfully, my setup of my old memory foam topper on top of medium medium x-firm is quite comfortable (albeit still a bit softer than I like, and I want to sleep directly on latex and not the mushy memory foam).
Reply #31 Jan 10, 2008 11:02 PM
Got the new layer of soft foam and the terry cloth cover.

Well, the terry cloth cover is IMPOSSIBLE to put over the foam. The problem is the side of the cover are attached to the top and not the bottom, so you can't stuff the layers in. I gave up after about 1hr of trying, and Shawn said he would order me a larger one custom if needed.

I then just put my sheets directly on the foam in this order Soft - Medium - Firm .  MUCH better sleeping directly on the foam!  When I sit on the foam rapidly i kind of feel the ground, but laying and sleeping i can't feel anything but foam.

I may switch the bottom layer to x-firm to provide more support .
Reply #32 Jan 14, 2008 8:15 AM
Well, it gets stranger.

I got the 4th layer.  Tried Soft-Medium-Firm , and just found it was not enough support. I sort of bottom out in it despite the claim you only feel the first two layers.

I slept with all 4 layers last night (soft-medium-firm-xfirm), and it was MUCH better. I felt I had enough support and comfort for the first time.

I guess I need to upgrade to the 13000 unit?  What is weird is everyone says the 10000 should be enough thickness. Maybe it is because I am sleeping directly on the foam (the terry cloth cover is too small to fit so i am just testing with a sheet over the foam layers) the foam is being compressed more than with a proper cover?

Thoughts?
This message was modified Jan 14, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #33 Jan 14, 2008 11:32 AM
Maybe you could try zipping the med, firm and x-firm into the cover and put the soft layer in the terry cover as a topper. You wouldn't have to send things back and forth again and you'd get the benefits of a firm, supportive mattress and the feeling of direct contact with the soft comfy topper.

BTW, SleepEZ sells layers of latex with terry covers as toppers so they could probably send you a topper cover of the correct size if the one you have is too big.
This message was modified Jan 14, 2008 by mattressmom
Reply #34 Jan 14, 2008 3:29 PM
mattressmom wrote:
Maybe you could try zipping the med, firm and x-firm into the cover and put the soft layer in the terry cover as a topper. You wouldn't have to send things back and forth again and you'd get the benefits of a firm, supportive mattress and the feeling of direct contact with the soft comfy topper.

BTW, SleepEZ sells layers of latex with terry covers as toppers so they could probably send you a topper cover of the correct size if the one you have is too big.

Thanks for your response.

I do have a terry cover, but the one they sent just doesn't fit (it's way too snug). Shawn offered to custom order a larger one for me, but I wanted to keep testing the layers.
Let me try med-firm-x-firm again and see if it ok. 

Have to tell you, these layers are VERY hard to move and keep moving.  It is NOT easy and I am a big guy. Not sure how smaller people move these foam layers around!
Reply #35 Jan 18, 2008 7:46 AM
Thus far, I am underwhelmed by the Sleepez bed -- customer service is fantastic though!!.  For 1600 I expected this to be comfortable and far less work.

I now tried for two nights with their original mattress case Soft-Medium-firm.  It's  not comfortable at all with this mattress case and I don't understand why people like it.  YOu can't even tell you're sleeping on latex  foam with their thick wool covering on it, might as well be sleeping on a $300 mattress with all the hamicking this cover does. My hip is also getting sore, so much for the contouring and no pressure points with latex. 

The closest to a 1600 experience I have gotten is without their mattress case and sleeping directly on the foam with a simple sheet cover. Unfortunately, I just can't find a good combination of foam layers with this either.  The soft-Medium-firm is not supportive enough, the soft-medium-firm-xfirm is better but like sleeping on a rubber ball.  Medium-Firm-x-firm is too hard.

I am not sure what to do anymore. 
This message was modified Jan 18, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #36 Jan 18, 2008 12:24 PM
I'm sorry you are having so much trouble with your mattress. I hope it works out for you.
This message was modified Jan 18, 2008 by mattressmom
Reply #37 Jan 18, 2008 6:04 PM
Just spoke to Sean. He suggested I try placing soft on the bottom layer.
So it is

Medium
Firm
Soft

See if that works....
Reply #38 Jan 19, 2008 12:39 AM
Novahelp, I feel you need to keep the layers firmer with a soft topper that is about 1" or 1.5" or 2" to be comfortable so you have a soft cushion next to you but sink in a little bit to a very solid base.
This message was modified Jan 19, 2008 by Lynn2006
Reply #39 Jan 19, 2008 11:59 AM
Actually, I think I am getting there!!!  Sean was RIGHT on.  It was SOO much softer with a soft layer at the very bottom.  It kind of makes sense!  A soft bottom layer is not able to provide a firm base for the upper layers to push against, so they have more give.

I slept well last night. I am FINALLY getting all the stuff I want from latex -- a memory foam experience without all the negatives.

One problem though, which I will call and ask Sean what to do, i am sort of feeling the ground a bit when I move around now. I will report back what he suggest I do with the layers to give me a bit more lift from the ground.  I am VERY happy and excited now!!! :)

I just spoke to Sean, he said to please give it a couple of nights before we do a change again. Likely will do a medium firm medium layering!
It is so nice after all this effort (and layer switching) to finally getting the mattress to where i want it!! :)
This message was modified Jan 19, 2008 by novahelp
Re: Just ordered Sleeperz 10000....
Reply #40 Jan 19, 2008 1:53 PM
Novahelp, Yes it is a lot of work at first and I was ready to give up but it is so worth it when you get the bed to the way you want it with comfort, support and no chemicals near your face.  Please keep us updated. We all like different support systems. 
This message was modified Jan 19, 2008 by Lynn2006
Reply #41 Jan 22, 2008 10:22 PM
Novahelp, I just reread this post an I am wondering if Sean allowed you more than one free exchange?  What combination of Latex did you end up going with. I hope you are liking your latex bed. I know I can never go back to a regular bed where I always woke up with a stuffy nose and moved around too much all night.
Reply #42 Jan 23, 2008 9:02 PM
Lynn2006 wrote:
Novahelp, I just reread this post an I am wondering if Sean allowed you more than one free exchange?  What combination of Latex did you end up going with. I hope you are liking your latex bed. I know I can never go back to a regular bed where I always woke up with a stuffy nose and moved around too much all night.

I am liking the mattress much more. I still have a slight problem with the bottoming out at times. 

As for another exchange, I think Sean will allow me given that my original config was on his recomendation. He asked that I wait a few days of testing this new arrangement before we do another adjustment. 

I still have a problem in that I need some sort of mattress case for the foam as I do not like the one Sleepez uses standard (you cant feel the foam through it IMHO).  They will likely have to order another terrycloth case since the one they sent was not large enough.
Reply #43 Jan 24, 2008 12:57 AM
Novahelp, I am glad you are liking your mattress more. Maybe you need a very firm layer way at the bottom of your latex cores to prevent the bottoming out. That is what I ended up needing to get my right comfort level.  I had to go with a 44 ILD blended from FloBeds and since then have two 44 ILD's under my 36 ILD under my topper. I just like a firm bed. But even if I did not like a firm bed, I think I would want as much support at the bottom core to keep the latex sitting more firmly on the slats.
Reply #44 Jan 31, 2008 7:23 PM
Still really liking the medium-firm-soft combo. Only problem is I bottom out if I move quickly or am not horizontal. going to try moving a layer to see if this will work:

Medium
Firm
Medium
Reply #45 Feb 9, 2008 8:35 AM
Another update. Well the medium-Firm-Medium didn't work.  Felt too hard.

So I tried from top to bottom:

Medium
Firm
Soft
x-firm

It's also too firm.  Just not sure what to do anymore to get this latex bed to work out.  I am about at my wits ends with moving all these layers around.

Maybe I am just not a latex person... Which is not making me very happy. After all the cheerleading in this forum on how great latex is, returning this thing is going to cost me $400.
I am curious, maybe the clue is the endless amount of tweaking people seem to have to do to get these things to work for them.
This message was modified Feb 9, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #46 Feb 9, 2008 9:21 AM
Side sleepers have the most trouble with latex.  Back and stomach sleepers rarely complain.  At least from my memory.
Reply #47 Feb 9, 2008 9:52 AM
MequonJim wrote:
Side sleepers have the most trouble with latex.  Back and stomach sleepers rarely complain.  At least from my memory.

I wish I had seen this before I took this leap.  However, back sleepers can sleep on almost anything. Stomach sleepers only need a very firm surface, seriously, a floor would be fine for stomach sleeper.

Well, will call Sean again today and see what else to do. Seriously, this is just a royal pain in the butt.
My first mattress 10 years ago, walked into Sams club and picked one. It was great for 7 years and $300.
Reply #48 Feb 9, 2008 9:56 AM
novahelp wrote:
<BR><BR>Maybe I am just not a latex person... Which is not making me very happy. After all the cheerleading in this forum on how great latex is, returning this thing is going to cost me $400.<BR>

Stop whining. You were well warned that some people have trouble with latex, and almost everyone has to tweak it to get it to work. There are many posts from people (such as myself) who had to send everything back because standard layups didn't work. There are posts from people who prefer the flobeds return policy. If you ignored those warnings, you only have yourself to blame. And return shipping should be less than $100 Fed Ex ground.

However, first try medium, firm, ex firm, possibly with a polyester fill topper OR soft, firm, ex firm. Make sure cover stretches. 3 layers is plenty. MIght even try medium, firm, w/ a topper.
Reply #49 Feb 9, 2008 10:04 AM
mccldwll wrote:
Stop whining. You were well warned that some people have trouble with latex, and almost everyone has to tweak it to get it to work. There are many posts from people (such as myself) who had to send everything back because standard layups didn't work. There are posts from people who prefer the flobeds return policy. If you ignored those warnings, you only have yourself to blame. And return shipping should be less than $100 Fed Ex ground.

However, first try medium, firm, ex firm, possibly with a polyester fill topper OR soft, firm, ex firm. Make sure cover stretches. 3 layers is plenty. MIght even try medium, firm, w/ a topper.

Uh, what are you smoking? Sleepez charges a 15% restocking fee, no refund on the original $75 shipping charge, and then $75 (at least) to ship all this back adds up to

$348
$75
$100

$523!!!

Otherwise, thanks for your thoughts. I will talk to Sean today and see what he suggests now. 

If I am "whining" it;s cause I havent slept well in 2 months and I am exhausted....
Reply #50 Feb 9, 2008 10:25 AM
Novahelp, what exactly is uncomfortable? As a side sleeper, do you have problems with your hips or shoulders? It might help people here advise you better if they know exactly what is going on.

Best of luck to you. I know you've been working on this for a long time. I hope you are able to find a solution that works.
Reply #51 Feb 9, 2008 10:42 AM
mattressmom wrote:
Novahelp, what exactly is uncomfortable? As a side sleeper, do you have problems with your hips or shoulders? It might help people here advise you better if they know exactly what is going on.

Best of luck to you. I know you've been working on this for a long time. I hope you are able to find a solution that works.

Thank you for your supportive and kind reply.  I really am not trying to be a pest. I am just so disappointed and frustrated after being so excited about splurging a lot of money (well to me anyway) on a luxury item.

I am a side sleeper, and it is my hips are what need a soft support to prevent soreness -- this is why I can't use the Sleepez included mattress case, the wool just hurts my hips.

I think the problem is that I can't get the right combination of soft, firm, non-bouncy, and thick so i don't bottom out in the kit.  The closest I got was Medium-Firm-Soft, but as I said, it was too thin a mattress for my body. 

On top of that, my 2 month trial window is fast approaching and I have to get this figured out before then...
Reply #52 Feb 9, 2008 11:01 AM
What do you have the mattress on? Is is a solid platform?

It might sound counterintuitive, but I wonder if two layers of medium over firm or even medium over medium on a solid platform would work. The solid platform at the bottom would be the extra firm layer. Maybe you have TOO MUCH latex under you.

I'm a side sleeper and found the Dunlop +/- 30 in the top layer to work for everyone in our family of side sleepers - even though we are different sizes. I recently played around with a cheap 1" layer of Talalay doubled over with a thick wool topper on top of the whole thing. (see the Brylane Latex Topper thread) I liked the extra cush for my hips but it didn't work for my husband.

As suggested above, maybe you need a good solid base with a one or two inch topper for your hips to sink into. That's pretty much the SleepEZ 8500 configuration. I wonder if Shawn could send you a layer of soft DUNLOP for your top layer.

You are right, you'll have to work this out soon.
Reply #53 Feb 9, 2008 11:15 AM
mattressmom wrote:
What do you have the mattress on? Is is a solid platform?

It might sound counterintuitive, but I wonder if two layers of medium over firm or even medium over medium on a solid platform would work. The solid platform at the bottom would be the extra firm layer. Maybe you have TOO MUCH latex under you.

I'm a side sleeper and found the Dunlop +/- 30 in the top layer to work for everyone in our family of side sleepers - even though we are different sizes. I recently played around with a cheap 1" layer of Talalay doubled over with a thick wool topper on top of the whole thing. (see the Brylane Latex Topper thread) I liked the extra cush for my hips but it didn't work for my husband.

As suggested above, maybe you need a good solid base with a one or two inch topper for your hips to sink into. That's pretty much the SleepEZ 8500 configuration. I wonder if Shawn could send you a layer of soft DUNLOP for your top layer.

You are right, you'll have to work this out soon.

The layers are actually on the floor. I didn't buy a platform for it yet because I wanted to be sure I would keep it. 

At this point, lol, I have tried so many combination I just can't tell anymore what I like. :)
Reply #54 Feb 9, 2008 11:41 AM
novahelp wrote:
The layers are actually on the floor. I didn't buy a platform for it yet because I wanted to be sure I would keep it.  <BR><BR>At this point, lol, I have tried so many combination I just can't tell anymore what I like. :)

It wouldn't hurt to try two layers for a night or two. It won't cost anything. It always takes my husband two or three nights to get used to a new configuration.

Or maybe this just isn't going to work for you and you'll have to cut your losses and move on. If it's any consolation, this thread helped convince me to go with Dunlop and a non-SleepEZ manufacturer. I didn't like the sound of your problems with the cover. Not much help for you but it did help us.

For the kids we got plain old medium six inch cores of Dunlop latex with simple covers. Much cheaper than the fancier alternatives and seem just as comfortable as our expensive mattress. The Dunlop is denser at the bottom than the top so it is sort layered without all the layers. Much simpler and more straight forward IF it works for you. The Dunlop isn't as wiggly. See the Talalay vs. Dunlop threads.

We used a cheap velour cover from eBay for my son's mattress. Works great. Comes in lots of sizes. Around $30 plus shipping - depending on the size.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ZIPPERED-VELOURCOVER-for-10-QUEEN-MEMORY-FOAM-MATTRESS_W0QQitemZ110220660299QQihZ001QQcategoryZ20479QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Reply #55 Feb 9, 2008 1:58 PM
mattressmom wrote:
It wouldn't hurt to try two layers for a night or two. It won't cost anything. It always takes my husband two or three nights to get used to a new configuration.

Or maybe this just isn't going to work for you and you'll have to cut your losses and move on. If it's any consolation, this thread helped convince me to go with Dunlop and a non-SleepEZ manufacturer. I didn't like the sound of your problems with the cover. Not much help for you but it did help us.

For the kids we got plain old medium six inch cores of Dunlop latex with simple covers. Much cheaper than the fancier alternatives and seem just as comfortable as our expensive mattress. The Dunlop is denser at the bottom than the top so it is sort layered without all the layers. Much simpler and more straight forward IF it works for you. The Dunlop isn't as wiggly. See the Talalay vs. Dunlop threads.

We used a cheap velour cover from eBay for my son's mattress. Works great. Comes in lots of sizes. Around $30 plus shipping - depending on the size.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ZIPPERED-VELOURCOVER-for-10-QUEEN-MEMORY-FOAM-MATTRESS_W0QQitemZ110220660299QQihZ001QQcategoryZ20479QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am going to go back and try an old configuration because I think it was not used to latex yet.

Don't let me being crazy :) dissuade anyone from trying Sleepez, they really are a great company. I am just adjusting I think

Spoke to Sean. I am going to go try an original configuration without their cover and see how it is.

Soft
Medium
Firm

Wish me luck! :)
Reply #56 Feb 9, 2008 2:34 PM
Novahelp, what about trying the Brylane topper we are all ordering? It is only one inch thick and maybe that's all the cushion you need for your hips. It is not so thick that you negate the support of the firmer layers beneath.

I am also a side sleeper and on too firm a surface my hips go numb, but when I tried our 3 inch PU camping foam on top of the firm mattress, while it relieved the pressure points in my hips, itt allowed my spine to sink in too much and I was waking up with lower back pain.

3 inches for your soft layer is too much in my opinion. If you can get your support layers right I think one or two inches of “cush” on top is all you need. Would Sean send you a 2 inch or 1.5 inch soft layer to try instead of the standard 3 inch? When I talked to him, he said he could get a 1.5 inch topper for me if I wanted.

Good luck – I know what it’s like to be exhausted yet dread going to bed at the same time...
Reply #57 Feb 9, 2008 2:36 PM
Novahelp, In my opinion a 2.8 or 3" of soft latex layer is usally too soft and to get the benefits of latex and have firm support and softness on your pressure points and not pushing back against you, I would go with a less thick topper (1" or 1.5" or 2.0") in the firmness you like (it sounds like that is soft) and firmer layers underneath. This is what works best for me and I am very comfortable. I could not sleep on such a thick soft latex core or  a very firm latex core without a soft topper.  I am more comfortable than I was with a conventional mattress.
Reply #58 Feb 9, 2008 4:25 PM
"After all the cheerleading in this forum on how great latex is, returning this thing is going to cost me $400."

The above statement about cheerleading is not true. It also appeared to be an attempt to blame others for your predicament. There is a lot of valuable information on this forum, but it's fairly useless if you don't digest it all it all before acting. $348 restocking? You paid $2300 for a SleepEz mattress?

Moving forward: I returned my 3 memoryfoam.com toppers after 30 days (with no restocking and no charge for original free shipping) when it didn't work. I'm working on creating a zoned mattress, but at the moment have 2 1" cheapo Overstock toppers mated (ILD maybe 20-24), over 3" 36 ILD (actually @33) in hip area, 5" of the soft Overstock for shoulders. Everything over an old, firm, failing coil mattress. It's comfortable. Play around with what you have on hand in your remaining time. Your biggest problem may be, as others have noted, the 3" of soft foam (too thick) OR could be a nonstretch cover.
Reply #59 Feb 9, 2008 6:46 PM
mccldwll wrote:
"After all the cheerleading in this forum on how great latex is, returning this thing is going to cost me $400."

The above statement about cheerleading is not true. It also appeared to be an attempt to blame others for your predicament. There is a lot of valuable information on this forum, but it's fairly useless if you don't digest it all it all before acting. $348 restocking? You paid $2300 for a SleepEz mattress?

Moving forward: I returned my 3 memoryfoam.com toppers after 30 days (with no restocking and no charge for original free shipping) when it didn't work. I'm working on creating a zoned mattress, but at the moment have 2 1" cheapo Overstock toppers mated (ILD maybe 20-24), over 3" 36 ILD (actually @33) in hip area, 5" of the soft Overstock for shoulders. Everything over an old, firm, failing coil mattress. It's comfortable. Play around with what you have on hand in your remaining time. Your biggest problem may be, as others have noted, the 3" of soft foam (too thick) OR could be a nonstretch cover.

Oops math error, blame it on the lack of decent sleep, so it will be 232+74+100 (likely)  = $406
Reply #60 Feb 9, 2008 6:52 PM
Here are my various attempts

Arrangement (top to bottom):
Soft
Medium
Firm
Result:: I like it.  The problem is that when I turn from my side or move around, I bottom out in the thing and my hip or butt hits the ground (ouch!) and i sort of rebound off it...

Arrangement (top to bottom):
Medium
Firm
x-firm
Result: Its too hard.

arrangement (top to bottom):
Soft
Medium
Firm
X-firm
Result:  I feel like I am sleeping on a rubber ball.

Tonight will try the:
soft
medium
x-firm

to see if perhaps my body can deal with it though I still seem to hit the ground a bit.
Reply #61 Feb 9, 2008 10:49 PM
Try :

Medium

Soft

Firm (Bottom)

Also I think as others, that 3" of soft on top is too much. This configuration  may solve that problem.

If it does not, then get a 2" or even 1" soft layer to try on top of a Medium middle and Firm bottom.

Get 2 Brylane latex toppers and try one and two of those instead of the 3" of soft you have on top.

Reply #62 Feb 11, 2008 10:49 AM
novahelp, I wonder if you would feel less like you are on top of a rubber ball if you put your layers back inside the case - and try something like medium/soft or medium/firm and put a one or two inch soft topper on top of the whole thing. The case is an important part of the mattress. It holds the latex together and gives it some oompf and should dampen some of the rubberyness of the latex. IIRC, you had problems with hammocking when you had a soft top layer inside the case. I can't remember if you had tried a medium top layer inside the case. I wonder if the case will stretch a bit over time so you'd sink into a medium layer but still have the structure of the case to provide support. The top of the case should fit tightly over the latex and conform to it - like a thick mattress pad.

If the case doesn't fit tightly and/or doesn't conform to the top of the latex, I wonder if your real problem is with the case and not the latex. The more I think about it, three layers of Talalay latex on the floor without a case - would be pretty jiggly. I wonder if you might get used to the feeling of the wool top of the case if you had the right latex under it - and a bit of soft cush on top of the whole mattress for hip pressure relief.

I did feel a bit of hip pressure on our quilted wool mattress top for a night or two - but it disappeared when I got used to the new mattress and it stretched out a bit. Making the bottom layer slightly less firm by putting the soft side of the bottom layer up made a slight but significant change. (We have Dunlop which has a firm side and a soft side.) That's why I think the firm rather than extra firm on the bottom layer might work better for you.

Besides, you paid for the case - it's a big part of the cost of the mattress. If it doesn't work for you, SleepEZ should be able to work something out with you besides the simple terry cover. FloBeds has several mattress case choices that seem more flexible than the one SleepEZ case.

Best of luck to you....
Re: Just ordered Sleepez 10000....- matress case
Reply #63 Feb 11, 2008 9:38 PM
I love my mattress case that has a little bit of a give and protects the latex and makes my mattress look like a conventional mattress. This is the 2nd case FloBeds sent me and it is just perfect for my Latex bed in my opinion. I like how it has protection on the sides so the zipper will not catch onto the latex like former mattress cover. Dave said he switched supplies to get the better mattress cover and this is what he sells now. It is organic cotton with wool inside and feels good.  I would try the case the mattress came with again also and keep the layers firm with a less thick topper over the layers. 

I slept wonderful last night with putting my 1" topper over my 39 ILD over the 36 ILD (was on top but put it in the middle) over the 44 ILD. I am waiting for the Brylane Topper and then if this combination still works out, I may ask Dave for another 39 or 40 ILD (36 ILD's have ranges and on the side of the natural latex core from Latex International it does give an average and I can definitely feel a difference between the 36 ILD and the 39 ILD.  My back just knows it is firmer. 

I never believed in toppers when I had a conventional mattress but now that I see how they help me sleep better by cushioning my pressure points and I do not move much when I am sleeping, I wish I had a topper over my super firm conventional mattresses all those years before I switched in May 2007 to a latex bed from Flobeds.  I used  to think I was a restless sleeper but now I see I only moved from side to side all night to get off the pressure points. I always could only sleep on a very firm mattress and this is the case now also but now I like a tiny bit of cushion on top.

I also used to wake up with a snuffed nose and allergies and many times I coughed all night but now I wake up feeling great and do not cough as I sleep since I have no allergies to my mostly natural latex bed and pillows (two of my latex cores are a Talalay Blend).  I had to air out the latex cores for several days but afterwards I had no problems. Also since the latex cores come wrapped in plastic, I needed to air them out to get rid of that smell also. I was amazed that the natural latex had a stronger smell at first than the blended latex. But I still feel better knowing most of my bed has the Talalay Natural latex cores. 

I also love my slat box and the 10" legs allowing me to store things under my bed.  At first the pine smell was strong and I was worried (I am not allergic to pine but still dislike smells as I sleep) but it went away.  If it would continue to bother me, Dave was going to have me send it back and he would have covered the top also in the organic cotton for me but I am glad I was OK after a little time passed.

Reply #64 Feb 12, 2008 12:32 AM
I agree that I wouldn't want to sleep on my latex unless I had my quilted zippered mattress cover over all of it. It's a thick fabric and there's some polyfil to give it some cushion. So, the latex is there, but not JUST there against my back. I even have a CuddleBed fiberbed type mattress topper over that. I agree that when it's all pulled together it's not as jiggly and bouncy.

mattressmom wrote:
novahelp, I wonder if you would feel less like you are on top of a rubber ball if you put your layers back inside the case - and try something like medium/soft or medium/firm and put a one or two inch soft topper on top of the whole thing. The case is an important part of the mattress. It holds the latex together and gives it some oompf and should dampen some of the rubberyness of the latex. IIRC, you had problems with hammocking when you had a soft top layer inside the case. I can't remember if you had tried a medium top layer inside the case. I wonder if the case will stretch a bit over time so you'd sink into a medium layer but still have the structure of the case to provide support. The top of the case should fit tightly over the latex and conform to it - like a thick mattress pad. <BR><BR>If the case doesn't fit tightly and/or doesn't conform to the top of the latex, I wonder if your real problem is with the case and not the latex. The more I think about it, three layers of Talalay latex on the floor without a case - would be pretty jiggly. I wonder if you might get used to the feeling of the wool top of the case if you had the right latex under it - and a bit of soft cush on top of the whole mattress for hip pressure relief.<BR><BR>I did feel a bit of hip pressure on our quilted wool mattress top for a night or two - but it disappeared when I got used to the new mattress and it stretched out a bit. Making the bottom layer slightly less firm by putting the soft side of the bottom layer up made a slight but significant change. (We have Dunlop which has a firm side and a soft side.) That's why I think the firm rather than extra firm on the bottom layer might work better for you.<BR><BR>Besides, you paid for the case - it's a big part of the cost of the mattress. If it doesn't work for you, SleepEZ should be able to work something out with you besides the simple terry cover. FloBeds has several mattress case choices that seem more flexible than the one SleepEZ case.<BR><BR>Best of luck to you....
Reply #65 Feb 12, 2008 11:07 AM
Lynn, which FloBeds cover do you have? Is this the description? - "Euro Stretch-Knit Cover made with Organic Cotton quilted to naturally Fire Resistant 100% Pure Mt. Shasta Wool (1 inch before quilting). Fire Resistant without chemicals!" The picture looks like a brownish, unbleached cotton. Is that the newer style cover or the older style cover?

When I search for "cover" in Twin Long on the right side of the FloBeds page - about 12 options come up and I am trying to sort them out. I am thinking about getting one of the FloBeds covers for my son's Dunlop core at some point.

Right now he has a Twin XL six inch medium Dunlop core with 2 inches of 36 ILD Talalay on the bottom in a cheap 8" deep memory foam velour cover from eBay. It works for him but the cover might not be that sturdy if we move it to a college dorm room. He says he doesn't care - but I can notice less allergy snuffles from him in the morning. He's 17, so he could probably sleep on a box of rocks (once he actually lays down and tries to sleep) but he does have noticebly less allergy symptoms since I got rid of his futon and made him try the latex mattress. At least he is begrudgingly admitting that he's sleeping better.
Reply #66 Feb 12, 2008 2:45 PM
Mattressmom, it sounds like it is the cover but I can ask Dave for you since I wanted to call him and tell him I bought a Brylane Latex Topper and ask him about one more Latex Core that is about a 39 ILD for the other side of my bed to switch with my 36 ILD that is averaging a little less than a 35 ILD.  It has some give on it and is very comfortable and more padded than my prior cover and looks like a real mattress and is less white than the other color. It looks like unbleached natural cotton so is slightly tannish. I love how the sides have protection before you zip it up since the prior cover kept catching onto the Latex.  This cover is sturdy and very nice.
Reply #67 Feb 12, 2008 10:21 PM
Wow, lots of great responses! Thanks! :)

I tried the included mattress case several times. All times it HURT my hip. A LOT.  I never heard of a breakin period where you endure pain so the case gets better?  Seems a bit weird to me...
Additionally, with the case I couldn't even tell I was on a foam bed, the thing just didn't allow the foam to contour to my body the way it does now with just a sheet over the foam. I mean, TempurPedic doesn't put wool on top of its beds (yes, I realize it is memory foam so it is "different"). 

The terry cloth case they sent me didn't fit.  Sean did offer to send another, but I asked him to wait because since the terry will be about the same as no cover, i wanted to be sure the layers could actually be arranged to work for me. 

As for additional memory foams, I am not that opposed to it. However, to be honest, I really want this to work as it was sold to me. Added layers on top isn't really what I was looking to do but I will if I need to. I have some old 1" cheap memory foam i can likely use...

In any case, I can report that I have slept ok for last 3 nights on:

Soft
Medium
X-firm

In fact it may be a bit too firm for me so I am swapping the x-Firm for the firm layer. 
This message was modified Feb 12, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #68 Feb 12, 2008 10:24 PM
mattressmom wrote:
novahelp, I wonder if you would feel less like you are on top of a rubber ball if you put your layers back inside the case - and try something like medium/soft or medium/firm and put a one or two inch soft topper on top of the whole thing. The case is an important part of the mattress. It holds the latex together and gives it some oompf and should dampen some of the rubberyness of the latex. IIRC, you had problems with hammocking when you had a soft top layer inside the case. I can't remember if you had tried a medium top layer inside the case. I wonder if the case will stretch a bit over time so you'd sink into a medium layer but still have the structure of the case to provide support. The top of the case should fit tightly over the latex and conform to it - like a thick mattress pad.

If the case doesn't fit tightly and/or doesn't conform to the top of the latex, I wonder if your real problem is with the case and not the latex. The more I think about it, three layers of Talalay latex on the floor without a case - would be pretty jiggly. I wonder if you might get used to the feeling of the wool top of the case if you had the right latex under it - and a bit of soft cush on top of the whole mattress for hip pressure relief.

I did feel a bit of hip pressure on our quilted wool mattress top for a night or two - but it disappeared when I got used to the new mattress and it stretched out a bit. Making the bottom layer slightly less firm by putting the soft side of the bottom layer up made a slight but significant change. (We have Dunlop which has a firm side and a soft side.) That's why I think the firm rather than extra firm on the bottom layer might work better for you.

Besides, you paid for the case - it's a big part of the cost of the mattress. If it doesn't work for you, SleepEZ should be able to work something out with you besides the simple terry cover. FloBeds has several mattress case choices that seem more flexible than the one SleepEZ case.

Best of luck to you....

The only time it felt like a rubber ball was when I had four layers. With three layers it is fine. The only problem is that with three ayers I tend to bottom out when I move quickly and apply a lot of pressure in one spot. 
IMHO a quilted wool mattress top negates the entire point of foam. Good point on asking Sleepez for some other type of cover, I will ask them tomorrow.

I just moved the layers.  Grr, same problem with the

Soft
Medium
Firm

I sink through and feel the floor.  Will still try it tonight and see how it is.  Not sure, I read other people my weight didn't report this problem so this makes no sense... is it possible the firm layer they sent me is not really firm?
This message was modified Feb 12, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #69 Feb 13, 2008 9:59 AM
novahelp wrote:
The only time it felt like a rubber ball was when I had four layers. With three layers it is fine. The only problem is that with three ayers I tend to bottom out when I move quickly and apply a lot of pressure in one spot.  <BR>IMHO a quilted wool mattress top negates the entire point of foam. Good point on asking Sleepez for some other type of cover, I will ask them tomorrow.<BR><BR>I just moved the layers.  Grr, same problem with the <BR> <BR> Soft<BR> Medium<BR> Firm<BR> <BR> I sink through and feel the floor.  Will still try it tonight and see how it is.  Not sure, I read other people my weight didn't report this problem so this makes no sense... is it possible the firm layer they sent me is not really firm?<br type="_moz"/>

That's so frustrating. It still sounds your problem is with the cover. The top shouldn't feel much different than a regular mattress pad. You are paying several hundred dollars for the mattress case - it should do it's job. It sounds like it was hammocking over the soft layer and might work better over medium. It sounds like the FloBeds knit covers conform to the latex better. Maybe you could at least get a refund or discount on the cover you aren't using. Do you put a regular mattress pad over your latex layers?

There is some variation in ILD so maybe your Firm is on the low end of the firm range. Have you tried something like Medium/Medium/Firm? If you are a heavier person, the soft layer with ILDs in the low to mid 20's is not going to be supportive enough for long - even if it seems comfortable at first.

Or maybe latex isn't for you. It sounds like you've tried a lot of variations. I wonder if Dunlop might have worked better for you.
Reply #70 Feb 13, 2008 7:34 PM
Actually, I think I finally got it... :)

Soft (top)
Medium
X-firm

It's the best so far.  I will try it again for a few nights, and then see about getting a replacement mattress case.  Believe it or not, the bottom layer DOES make it firmer, and effects the entire feel of the combo.

This was too soft and gave me shoulder pain! Guess I been sleeping on much too soft surfaces.
soft
medium
firm
Reply #71 Feb 13, 2008 9:36 PM
Novahelp, Yes the bottom latex core does affect the feel of the whole mattress. I was told since I am light weight and small anything beyond the top two layers I will not notice a difference. For me, I could not sleep on the latex bed without one 44 ILD in the equation. Right now I have a 44 ILD on the bottom which FloBeds calls Super Firm but I think it is the Extra Firm for SleepEZ?  I know I have a 36 ILD on top of that with a 39 ILD on top of that with the very soft latex 1" pad on that.  Without the 44 ILD latex core on the bottom or in the middle, my bed is too soft and I get back pain.  This sounds like a good combination for you the way you now have it set up. It is frustrating but well worth the effort having a bed made to fit your particular needs.

I went into the edit the spelling of "the" since I accidentally spelled it teh (do not understand why my fingers do this as I type when I know how to spell very well) and I am sure it will show up that I edited my message. I wish it would not do this if a word is just being corrected for spelling.

This message was modified Feb 14, 2008 by Lynn2006
Reply #72 Feb 14, 2008 5:04 PM
This is definitely the best combo!!!!!!!

I sleep great on the soft-medium-X-firm combo.  I would like it a bit firmer but the Medium-Firm-xfirm is too much.

Hmm, now what are my case options? I could try the included case again, but I really dread the hip pain I got from it the last few times....
Reply #73 Feb 14, 2008 9:05 PM
Novahelp, I am glad you found a combination working out for you. My suggestion is to try the mattress case that SleepEZ sent to you with a soft padded fitted mattress pad on top before putting a fitted sheet over this.  You will still get the benefit of latex since you will not have springs pushing into your back.  I am still thinking of looking for a 100% cotton fitted mattress cover. Sometimes I sleep with my mattress fitted pad and other times just a fitted sheet. I just want to protect my zippered mattress cover FloBed sent to me but I do not want a mattress pad with a lot of padding since I want mine just for pretection. 
Reply #74 Feb 14, 2008 11:31 PM
Congratulations novahelp! What about a medium-medium-X-firm combo? Would that make it a bit firmer without making it TOO firm? I don't have any soft layers in my mattress. It's X- firm HR PU, 44 ILD latex and 32 ILD latex. (Or maybe two 32 ILDs--forgot) But no soft. And the CuddleSoft fiber mattress pad over the mattress.

novahelp wrote:
This is definitely the best combo!!!!!!!<BR><BR>I sleep great on the soft-medium-X-firm combo.  I would like it a bit firmer but the Medium-Firm-xfirm is too much.<BR><BR>Hmm, now what are my case options? I could try the included case again, but I really dread the hip pain I got from it the last few times....
Reply #75 Feb 14, 2008 11:45 PM
I agree with BeddyBye that maybe two medium ILD latex cores over the X-Firm with a thin topper on top that is somewhat soft would be ideal but it seems that what you set up is at least working and you are happy.
Reply #76 Feb 15, 2008 5:32 AM
BeddyBye wrote:
Congratulations novahelp! What about a medium-medium-X-firm combo? Would that make it a bit firmer without making it TOO firm? I don't have any soft layers in my mattress. It's X- firm HR PU, 44 ILD latex and 32 ILD latex. (Or maybe two 32 ILDs--forgot) But no soft. And the CuddleSoft fiber mattress pad over the mattress.

BeddyBye, I think you said your latex layers were 1" each and they are combined with an innerspring unit. This feels completely different than a bed made entirely of 2.8" talalay latex cores. And you've got that cuddle bed over it which really alters the feeling of the latex.

Novahelp, it seems like you have found a configuratiion that works for you, although I tend to think that BeddyBye's suggested medium/medium/x-firm would probably be better. SleepEZ soft layer is really soft, although I think they have changed from a 20 when I bought my mattress to a 24. This is still really soft for a 2.8" layer. My feeling is that the medium/medium/x-firm would be the most comfortable along with a soft 1" topper.

I know you would like the bed to work as it is sold, but sometimes it's necessary to tweak it a little bit above and beyond to acheive optimal comfort.

I preferred the SleepEZ mattress cover the bed came with to the feel of the latex with less between it and my body. Have you tried leaving the cover unzipped? This will give you much more slack and less of a trampoline effect when you lie on it. If you find it's shifting around too much place a mattress pad over it. I like the kind with the wide horizontal bands rather than the kind with tight quilting. Overall they feel much softer, have more give to them and don't pull taut enough to produce that trampoline effect.

Reply #77 Feb 15, 2008 12:38 PM
BeddyBye wrote:

Hmm, good idea. Let me try that. I think the issue is I like the soft layer on the top, medium feels a bit too hard. Let me try it in any case!

p.s. Another GREAT night of sleep on soft-medium-xfirm!!
Reply #78 Feb 15, 2008 12:49 PM
cloud9 wrote:
BeddyBye, I think you said your latex layers were 1" each and they are combined with an innerspring unit. This feels completely different than a bed made entirely of 2.8" talalay latex cores. And you've got that cuddle bed over it which really alters the feeling of the latex.

Novahelp, it seems like you have found a configuratiion that works for you, although I tend to think that BeddyBye's suggested medium/medium/x-firm would probably be better. SleepEZ soft layer is really soft, although I think they have changed from a 20 when I bought my mattress to a 24. This is still really soft for a 2.8" layer. My feeling is that the medium/medium/x-firm would be the most comfortable along with a soft 1" topper.

I know you would like the bed to work as it is sold, but sometimes it's necessary to tweak it a little bit above and beyond to acheive optimal comfort.

I preferred the SleepEZ mattress cover the bed came with to the feel of the latex with less between it and my body. Have you tried leaving the cover unzipped? This will give you much more slack and less of a trampoline effect when you lie on it. If you find it's shifting around too much place a mattress pad over it. I like the kind with the wide horizontal bands rather than the kind with tight quilting. Overall they feel much softer, have more give to them and don't pull taut enough to produce that trampoline effect.

I like the feel of foam.  Also, as you said, the soft ILD is now 22-24 instead of 20 so I do not  find it too soft in the soft-medium-xfirm combination. 

As for the case, the problems I had with the included case were as follows:

1) OUCH! every time I used it killed my hip!

2) I couldn't even tell it was foam I was sleeping on. The cover, for me, completely inhibited the conforming properties of latex and I felt like i was sleeping on a cheap mattress (apologies to anyone who likes the included cover).  I bought foam because I like to feel the foam.

I will try the Medium-Medium-Xfirm tonight as a last adjustment to see if that makes it better.  Hmm, though I wonder if I should try SOFT-FIRM-X-Firm? I assume the soft won't separate me enough from the firm layer though...

However, not sure why people are against sleeping close to the foam. Memory foam mattresses don't pad themselves with thick wool covers...(i do understand they need the body heat to contour)
This message was modified Feb 15, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #79 Feb 16, 2008 2:24 AM
Novahelp, I really feel you should sleep on the combination you have now but with a medium on top and a 2" topper in soft rather than a 2.8" latex core.  I think 2" latex soft topper in a 24 to 26 softness over a Medium ILD latex core, over a firm ILD latex core, over a extra firm latex core.   I really feel that will give you the softness you love. I think this is why FloBeds does offer the 2" soft latex topper since there are many people that like a soft topper over firmness. I know I do also I learned but only about 1" thick since I am very petite and do not sink in enough to get the support underneath.  My FloBed mattress cover has a little give and is very comfortable. I did not like the former mattress cover FloBeds used to sell but their new one they sell is wonderful.  If you like lying right next to the latex, then maybe a terry cloth cover is for you that is not too tight so you can feel the latex underneath. 

Also what type of pillow are you sleeping on since that matters also with getting the comfort right on a bed.

Reply #80 Feb 17, 2008 6:04 AM
novahelp wrote:
I like the feel of foam.  Also, as you said, the soft ILD is now 22-24 instead of 20 so I do not  find it too soft in the soft-medium-xfirm combination. 

As for the case, the problems I had with the included case were as follows:

1) OUCH! every time I used it killed my hip!

2) I couldn't even tell it was foam I was sleeping on. The cover, for me, completely inhibited the conforming properties of latex and I felt like i was sleeping on a cheap mattress (apologies to anyone who likes the included cover).  I bought foam because I like to feel the foam.

I will try the Medium-Medium-Xfirm tonight as a last adjustment to see if that makes it better.  Hmm, though I wonder if I should try SOFT-FIRM-X-Firm? I assume the soft won't separate me enough from the firm layer though...

However, not sure why people are against sleeping close to the foam. Memory foam mattresses don't pad themselves with thick wool covers...(i do understand they need the body heat to contour)

Some people do like sleeping right on the latex. And that's fine if you find it most comfortable,but you should keep the latex covered with something like a stretch terry mattress pad. Latex is biodegradable if exposed to UV light and will decay in a few years rather than the 20 or so you can expect if you keep it in the dark.

Reply #81 Feb 17, 2008 9:16 AM
1) Thanks. Sean said that the degrade aspects wont kick in for a year or so really, while I do my trial he said it will be fine. In long run you are correct, I need to get a case just for convenience and protecting my investment.

2)I tried

Medium
Medium
X-firm

And I couldn't use it for more than a few minutes. Here is the weird thing, I felt like I kind of SUNK through at the hips while the rest of my body stayed up, just felt weird. Imaging you are laying on a sheet of ice, and someone carved a hole to fish through. That's kind of how I felt, though of course it was NOT as hard as ice.

3) I tried
Soft
Firm
Xfirm

Found the soft couldn't cushion me from the harder layers enough.

4) GOOD NEWS.

I did some more testing by placing some memory foam on the harder side of the bed (medium-firm-xfirm). Good news. I really prefer latex over memory foam.  I just cant stand the memory foam marshmallow feeling and the heat build up. So, at least I know latex IS the material I prefer!

5) The bed is really close with the soft-medium-xfirm.  I am getting some side soreness because while the firmness is enough, I just need more material or something (though the soreness could be just a result of the other nights of sleep where I got a little bit sore  or exercise).  I tried moving the layers so it is medium-soft-xfirm, and I couldn't really feel a difference except it kinda felt like the feeling I got from the medium-medium-xfirm (see point 2 above). 

I also tried soft-medium-firm-x-frim again and I don't like how jiggly and rubber feeling that number of layers feels. I guess a case might make it feel different?

6) Next steps

I am going to try the combo I liked best in the orginal mattress case today.  Maybe the hammocking won't be so bad now?
This message was modified Feb 17, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #82 Feb 17, 2008 11:40 AM
Soft medium -xfirm on one side, soft-firm-xfirm on the other side inside the mattress case. 

The case makes the bed feel "frumpy" and like an old hand-me-down. You sort of plop into it, no spring or push back.  Amazing how different the case makes the latex feel!  Laying on either side  within about 2-3 minutes i feel a pain on my hip bone.  It does sort of contour, but the contours are just big indentations that pool into one big sack.

And, interestingly, when I un-zipper the top (as someone suggested), it gets much more conforming and comfortable though still not as nice as just having a sheet over the latex.
This message was modified Feb 17, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #83 Feb 18, 2008 5:28 AM
I was the one who suggested unzipping the mattress cover. It gives you more slack and allows the foam to conform to your body without the trampoline effect of the cover interfering. Here's another combination you can try:

Medum / soft/ x-firm.

I found this configuration to be the most comfortable. The medium on the top will feel much softer with the soft layer beneath it than it will with another medium underneath.

Sounds like you've just experienced one of the negative characteristics of Talalay latex--that old sinking feeling. Your ice analogy was perfect. That's exactly it. Your hips go down and your shoulders stay up. I found this produced a horrible amount of upper back fatigue. The only work-around for that was an extremely firm configuration that made me sore all over, so I was never able to make the mattress comfortable for me, but it sounds like you're getting there.

Reply #84 Feb 18, 2008 10:14 AM
cloud9 wrote:
I was the one who suggested unzipping the mattress cover. It gives you more slack and allows the foam to conform to your body without the trampoline effect of the cover interfering. Here's another combination you can try:

Medum / soft/ x-firm.

I found this configuration to be the most comfortable. The medium on the top will feel much softer with the soft layer beneath it than it will with another medium underneath.

Sounds like you've just experienced one of the negative characteristics of Talalay latex--that old sinking feeling. Your ice analogy was perfect. That's exactly it. Your hips go down and your shoulders stay up. I found this produced a horrible amount of upper back fatigue. The only work-around for that was an extremely firm configuration that made me sore all over, so I was never able to make the mattress comfortable for me, but it sounds like you're getting there.

What's frustrating is that I am so close!  I just find that at my hip bone the foam compresses a touch too much and it gets hard there (or compresses enough that I can feel the floor at that spot). Otherwise, the foam is PERFECT. Grrrrr I can't take it anymore! :)

I tried lots of combos for the foam, and the end result, the wool cover is just not comfortable for me.  It hurts my butt when I lay on my back, and hurts my hip when I lay on my side.
This message was modified Feb 18, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #85 Feb 20, 2008 2:16 PM
Novahelp,
Sounds like you are "just about there" with your matress adjustments.

It can be rather hetic with all the mattress latex combinations trying to get that middle ground between comfort & support but it will all be worth it in the end.

Also-
I PMed you about your mattress cover too.

Jeff
Reply #86 Feb 20, 2008 6:56 PM
JCturboT wrote:
Novahelp,
Sounds like you are "just about there" with your matress adjustments.

It can be rather hetic with all the mattress latex combinations trying to get that middle ground between comfort & support but it will all be worth it in the end.

Also-
I PMed you about your mattress cover too.

Jeff

Actually, it is not working out. I am going to be returning the whole thing. 

After trying now both latex and memory foam I think the problem I am having with the latex bed kit (which was also the same problem I had with a Costco memory foam bed I tried), that when I make the bed soft enough for me, my hips compress the softer foam layers so much that the foam essentially becomes hard at my hips.  Therefore, I need to use the firmer layers (i.e. medium-firm-xfirm) so the foam is strong enough to hold me without compressing; the problem is that then this combination is too firm for me. 

That is what I have learned about foam. It is not a very flexible bed material. You have to get pretty much EXACTLY the foam density and ILD for your body, or it just won't work.  Spring mattresses IMHO while not as potentially comfortable, have greater ranges where people can find them comfortable.   Just my $0.02 after about 4 months of non-stop mattress foam building research and trying. :(
This message was modified Feb 20, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #87 Feb 20, 2008 8:57 PM
Novahelp,
Sorry to hear that-

Did you talk to Shawn @ SleepEZ for the cost of a return charge?

Jeff
Reply #88 Feb 20, 2008 9:06 PM
JCturboT wrote:
Novahelp,
Sorry to hear that-

Did you talk to Shawn @ SleepEZ for the cost of a return charge?

Jeff

Nope not yet. It should be a 15% restocking fee + shipping back.

This experiment is going to be a $400 mistake.
Reply #89 Feb 20, 2008 10:28 PM
That is why I went with FloBeds.com knowing that if I decided Latex was not for me it would not cost me anything but shipping the bed back with no restocking fee. I also knew I could watch the website and email Dave when the price went down. I got a few mark downs making my bed no more than if I bought it ast SleepEZ but with the peace of mind in knowing I could get a full refund if I needed to send it back.  I do like having a latex bed despite the work in getting it right since I wake up with no allergies and I sleep better.

But I am sorry Novahelp that your SleepEZ Latex bed did not work out for you.  But I really think if you had a more comforming zipped up cover like my bed came with and a topper that was soft and not more than 2" over a firm foundation, you would like your latex bed.  I could not sleep on Latex without my 1" soft topper since I like the other layers under me very firm and I like a tiny bit of cushion.  I also love my zippped up mattress cover that has a little give in it.

This message was modified Feb 20, 2008 by Lynn2006
Reply #90 Feb 20, 2008 10:40 PM
Or you can have a mattress like mine which is both coils and latex and some HR PU foam thrown in. I feel I truly got the best of both worlds with the ability to change what's inside if need be. I'm sorry your all-latex kit didn't work out. I don't think I would feel good without some type of coil system, as well as latex and whatever materials feel good on my body.

Good luck finding that perfect mattress!

novahelp wrote:
Actually, it is not working out. I am going to be returning the whole thing.  <BR><BR>After trying now both latex and memory foam I think the problem I am having with the latex bed kit (which was also the same problem I had with a Costco memory foam bed I tried), that when I make the bed soft enough for me, my hips compress the softer foam layers so much that the foam essentially becomes hard at my hips.  Therefore, I need to use the firmer layers (i.e. medium-firm-xfirm) so the foam is strong enough to hold me without compressing; the problem is that then this combination is too firm for me.  <BR><BR><BR>That is what I have learned about foam. It is not a very flexible bed material. You have to get pretty much EXACTLY the foam density and ILD for your body, or it just won't work.  Spring mattresses IMHO while not as potentially comfortable, have greater ranges where people can find them comfortable.   Just my $0.02 after about 4 months of non-stop mattress foam building research and trying. :(
Reply #91 Feb 20, 2008 10:45 PM
Lynn2006 wrote:
That is why I went with FloBeds.com knowing that if I decided Latex was not for me it would not cost me anything but shipping the bed back with no restocking fee. I also knew I could watch the website and email Dave when the price went down. I got a few mark downs making my bed no more than if I bought it ast SleepEZ but with the peace of mind in knowing I could get a full refund if I needed to send it back.  I do like having a latex bed despite the work in getting it right since I wake up with no allergies and I sleep better.

But I am sorry Novahelp that your SleepEZ Latex bed did not work out for you.  But I really think if you had a more comforming zipped up cover like my bed came with and a topper that was soft and not more than 2" over a firm foundation, you would like your latex bed.  I could not sleep on Latex without my 1" soft topper since I like the other layers under me very firm and I like a tiny bit of cushion.  I also love my zippped up mattress cover that has a little give in it.

You may be right, but honestly i am just sick of all this work. These kits, and foam beds in general, are just a lot of work as evidenced by the many many threads seen here of people trying to get foams to work well for them.

Oh and I am using a terrycloth cover, not sure how  much more conforming a cover one could get... but that's what tempurpedic uses as well...

At some point you just have to cut your losses. I mean what am I supposed to do , go buy a zippered case, then buy another layer of foam in hopes of making this work? Then what, if that doesn't work i am out even more money... at some point, you just take a loss. It was a gamble that I thought would work out for me, but it just didn't. I hope this crazy long thread describing my experience ultimately helps a few other people out there to help them understand the process that MIGHT take place when you attempt a kit purchase.  You have to understand, this is the THIRD FOAM mattress type i have tried -- I tried a Costco Novaform memory foam, tried to build a cheaperpedic, and now latex.  They all failed. 

My 10 yr old Sams club mattress was great for the first 8 years, was $300, and never caused me this much physical pain and mental aggrevation :)

I will contact Sleepez in the next couple of days and find out how the heck do I possibly repackage all this stuff into the 3 original boxes... my god, it's going to be awful!  I have to go to Costco and order a decent spring mattress. At least with Costco.com you get free shipping on both the delivery and the return if you don't like it. Risk free trial I say!
Reply #92 Feb 20, 2008 10:51 PM
Novahelp, my friend, Dennis loves Costco also.  Good luck with your new bed.  Let us know what bed you chose from Costco and how it works out for you. My other friend LOVES Kingsdown and she has a bad back but likes a little softness over a firm bed.  You may want to try that brand out also.
Reply #93 Feb 20, 2008 10:53 PM
BeddyBye wrote:
Or you can have a mattress like mine which is both coils and latex and some HR PU foam thrown in. I feel I truly got the best of both worlds with the ability to change what's inside if need be. I'm sorry your all-latex kit didn't work out. I don't think I would feel good without some type of coil system, as well as latex and whatever materials feel good on my body.

Good luck finding that perfect mattress!

I think you are correct. I now believe I am a spring bed person and will need to throw on a nice topper to get the best of both worlds.

What if I keep the SOFT layer from Sleepez as a topper, is that too soft for a spring mattress topper?
Reply #94 Feb 21, 2008 12:49 AM
Novahelp, I would go with a 2" soft latex topper and no more than that or you will sink in too much and hurt your back. My opinion...
Reply #95 Feb 21, 2008 1:31 AM
I forgot how soft the topper is. (The ILD). Myself, I really have a hard time finding a latex or memory foam topper that won't make my lower back hurt eventually. I can handle firmer latex INSIDE my mattress. And, my "topper" of choice is this super, comfy Ultimate Cuddle Bed® Plus Mattress Topper from Costco.com. It's like sleeping on a supportive cloud. In fact, I bought another one to have for the future in case they stop selling them.

Best wishes to you!

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11189730&search=cuddle%20bed&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=cuddle%20bed&Ntt=cuddle%20bed&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

novahelp wrote:
I think you are correct. I now believe I am a spring bed person and will need to throw on a nice topper to get the best of both worlds. <BR><BR>What if I keep the SOFT layer from Sleepez as a topper, is that too soft for a spring mattress topper?<br type="_moz"/>
Reply #96 Feb 21, 2008 7:36 AM
Lynn2006 wrote:
Novahelp, I would go with a 2" soft latex topper and no more than that or you will sink in too much and hurt your back. My opinion...

Appreciate your help. 

As an experiment, I slept last night on Medium-Firm-Xfirm.  My hip doesn't hurt this morning, which confirms what I thought on how the softer layering isn't thick/dense/supportive enough to hold me at my weight and it compresses to something that is hard which hurts my hip.

However, you knew it was coming :), my lower back is sore and my shoulder hurts!  Additionally, the whole thing feel so hard to me that it's like almost sleep on a board or  a traditional super hard/firm spring mattress. 

So you believe a 2" soft layer is going to fix all this?  Seems to me a cheap extra firm spring mattress with a nice 2" latex layer is much more cost efficient.
This message was modified Feb 21, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #97 Feb 21, 2008 12:06 PM
Novahelp, I admire you for all of the time and effort you have put into this. I would have given up long ago. You really must be exhausted from so many uncomfortable and restless nights.

However, the glaring problem to me in all of the configurations you have tried, is the 3 inches of soft foam for your comfort layer. It's too much in my opinion -- and I think in the opinion of most people on this forum.

As a last ditch effort why not go to Target, or Bed Bath and Beyond or somewhere local and buy a 1 or 2 inch thick memory or other foam topper and try it on the firm set up you just mentioned.

I would get a couple of different options (a 1 inch AND a 2 inch,) since you can return either or all of them if they don't work out. I think it would be worth trying before throwing in the towel and resigning yourself to a $400 loss.
Reply #98 Feb 21, 2008 12:15 PM
kimmcgov wrote:
Novahelp, I admire you for all of the time and effort you have put into this. I would have given up long ago. You really must be exhausted from so many uncomfortable and restless nights.

However, the glaring problem to me in all of the configurations you have tried, is the 3 inches of soft foam for your comfort layer. It's too much in my opinion -- and I think in the opinion of most people on this forum.

As a last ditch effort why not go to Target, or Bed Bath and Beyond or somewhere local and buy a 1 or 2 inch thick memory or other foam topper and try it on the firm set up you just mentioned.

I would get a couple of different options (a 1 inch AND a 2 inch,) since you can return either or all of them if they don't work out. I think it would be worth trying before throwing in the towel and resigning yourself to a $400 loss.

Thanks for your advice. I have two (low quality) 1"memory foams  that I will try (again).  A couple days ago I tried to place both of them on the medium-firm-Xfirm latex combo on the weekend and it was yucky (I don't like memory foam due to the trapped and high heat feeling, i really like latex).   But, heck what the hell right? :)

and yes, I am just tired.  I can't get more than ~6 hours a night now... and its been months like this... :)
Reply #99 Feb 21, 2008 12:40 PM
novahelp wrote:
A couple days ago I tried to place both of them on the medium-firm-Xfirm latex combo on the weekend and it was yucky (I don't like memory foam due to the trapped and high heat feeling, i really like latex).

I know what you mean about memory foam, I've decided I don't like it either -- it's just that it is so easily available. But you can probably find a regular piece of foam or PU foam topper to try instead. Then if that works, you could exchange your 3 inch soft layer for 1.5 inches or 2 inches of latex.

Good luck.
Reply #100 Feb 21, 2008 2:45 PM
kimmcgov wrote:
I know what you mean about memory foam, I've decided I don't like it either -- it's just that it is so easily available. But you can probably find a regular piece of foam or PU foam topper to try instead. Then if that works, you could exchange your 3 inch soft layer for 1.5 inches or 2 inches of latex.

Good luck.

I dont understand what you are saying to test?

2" memory foam
medium
firm
x-firm

I don't have a soft layer to exchange because I am not using it in the above configuration.
Reply #101 Feb 21, 2008 3:09 PM
novahelp wrote:
I dont understand what you are saying to test?<BR><BR>2&quot; memory foam<BR>medium<BR>firm<BR>x-firm <BR><BR>I don't have a soft layer to exchange because I am not using it in the above configuration.

Yes: the above configuration with either 2 inches (or even 1.5 inches) of memory foam or PU foam.

The soft layer I'm talking about is the one you still have from Sleep EZ (unless you already sent it back) which you are not using in this particular configuration.

You could keep the medium, firm and x-firm and exchange the 3 inches of soft for a thinner piece of latex to use as a topper. Make sense?
Reply #102 Feb 21, 2008 3:53 PM
kimmcgov wrote:
Yes: the above configuration with either 2 inches (or even 1.5 inches) of memory foam or PU foam.

The soft layer I'm talking about is the one you still have from Sleep EZ (unless you already sent it back) which you are not using in this particular configuration.

You could keep the medium, firm and x-firm and exchange the 3 inches of soft for a thinner piece of latex to use as a topper. Make sense?

I only paid for 3 layers, you are thinking of their 13000 which is 4 layers of latex which I didn't buy... :)
Reply #103 Feb 21, 2008 4:44 PM
Novahelp, you had a soft layer in your configuration quite recently. I did not realize that you had sent it back. Since you have been mentioning soft, medium, firm and extra firm, I thought you had four layers to play with...
Reply #104 Feb 21, 2008 6:14 PM
kimmcgov wrote:
Novahelp, you had a soft layer in your configuration quite recently. I did not realize that you had sent it back. Since you have been mentioning soft, medium, firm and extra firm, I thought you had four layers to play with...

I see. To be honest, I just don't want to do this anymore. I want to just go get a spring bed and get a latex topper.

Your suggestion would end up costing me more money to continue this experiment.  After two nights now on the medium-firm-xfirm my body feels like it has been beat up lol!  I don't think a 2" layer of latex is going to be able to counter that...
This message was modified Feb 22, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #105 Mar 8, 2008 9:37 AM
Well, I just got my spring mattress. Placed a latex layer on it, and FINALLY this seems to be what I need.

Dear god, can this ordeal finally be over!? 

And, how the hell do I get the latex topper layers back into those boxes?! Help pLease!
Reply #106 Mar 8, 2008 10:42 AM
Novahelp, Do you have split cores or full cores?  If they are split, then put each one in the bigger bag it came in (should have come in 2 bags) and have someone hold it has you put the vacuum nozzle in it to take the air out which will shrink the latex core significantly. Then tape that up before air gets out to put inside the smaller bag to tape up (buy packing clear tape) and put the cores inside the boxes they came in with the return labels SleepEZ should send to you.  I found a UPS place near me so I no longer do pick-ups and I have someone place the boxes in my hatchback/liftback and the UPS store's guy takes them out for me and sends the back to Flobeds when I am swtiching out layers. When I had a lot of boxes, I called UPS and they came by and picked up everything since I went with much firmer latex layers.  I know you are just returning everything to SleepEz. 

I hope the restocking fee is not too high. That is why I went with FloBeds also since I hate restocking fees and the price of my bed when down enough during the 90 days with all the specials that I got it fro the same price as SleepEz with no restocking fees.

On the bright side, you found out you like a latex topper so that is good to know and it sounds like your new bed's set up will be just for you and you will be happy.  Please keep us updated.

Reply #107 Mar 8, 2008 11:52 AM
Lynn2006 wrote:
Novahelp, Do you have split cores or full cores?  If they are split, then put each one in the bigger bag it came in (should have come in 2 bags) and have someone hold it has you put the vacuum nozzle in it to take the air out which will shrink the latex core significantly. Then tape that up before air gets out to put inside the smaller bag to tape up (buy packing clear tape) and put the cores inside the boxes they came in with the return labels SleepEZ should send to you.  I found a UPS place near me so I no longer do pick-ups and I have someone place the boxes in my hatchback/liftback and the UPS store's guy takes them out for me and sends the back to Flobeds when I am swtiching out layers. When I had a lot of boxes, I called UPS and they came by and picked up everything since I went with much firmer latex layers.  I know you are just returning everything to SleepEz. 

I hope the restocking fee is not too high. That is why I went with FloBeds also since I hate restocking fees and the price of my bed when down enough during the 90 days with all the specials that I got it fro the same price as SleepEz with no restocking fees.

On the bright side, you found out you like a latex topper so that is good to know and it sounds like your new bed's set up will be just for you and you will be happy.  Please keep us updated.

I don't have anyone available to help me.  The packaging is a black plastic sheet and a clear bag., no vacuum holes.

I am going to lose about $400 on this including shipping. I don't care as I made a gamble and lost, that's life and I learned a few lessons.
Reply #108 Mar 8, 2008 12:05 PM
Novahelp, I would have packing tape next to you and I would put the latex core in the bigger back and leave a little space at top for the vacuum hose and then when the latex core is as small as you think it will go, pull out the nozzle and then twist the the top  plastic round and round and then put the thick clear plastic tape on it to give you time to put it in the bigger plastic bag.  Life is full of changes and learning experiences and at least you learned you like the latex topper.  If you need more help, I will try to log on in between clients to see if you have more questions.
Reply #109 Mar 8, 2008 12:19 PM
Lynn2006 wrote:
Novahelp, I would have packing tape next to you and I would put the latex core in the bigger back and leave a little space at top for the vacuum hose and then when the latex core is as small as you think it will go, pull out the nozzle and then twist the the top  plastic round and round and then put the thick clear plastic tape on it to give you time to put it in the bigger plastic bag.  Life is full of changes and learning experiences and at least you learned you like the latex topper.  If you need more help, I will try to log on in between clients to see if you have more questions.

Phew, got the Firm layer wrapped enough to fit in the box. Just got the x-firm in the second box. I have NO idea how they fit two things in each box.  There is NO way I can fit two in the boxes as they did... the boxes are buldging but seem fine holding.

I have to keep one layer now as I only have three boxes and I likely need one box for each layer. 
This message was modified Mar 8, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #110 Mar 8, 2008 7:48 PM
Novahelp, With the help of my friend, I always managed to get all the layers sent to me back in the correct boxes when I was doing a lot of exchanges for firm layers. I guess it takes two people to get enough air out of the latex to make the piece small enough. Good luck with the rest of the latex cores.  I hope I helped you a little bit since I tried.
Reply #111 Mar 15, 2008 2:05 PM
 I am sending ALL of them back I decided. I am going to have to find another couple boxes since the Sleepez is not at all planned out for returns.
This message was modified Mar 15, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #112 Mar 20, 2008 4:56 PM
I was told by Sleepez when I ordered that it would be like $100 to ship the mattress back to them via Fedex if I didn't like it.

Fedex estimates are $250+$25 pickup!!!

I called Sean, and he said he would try to get me his rate ...
This message was modified Mar 20, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #113 Mar 21, 2008 1:00 AM
Novahelp, that is why I never buy any major purchase that has a restocking fee since it is costly enough to ship back without paying for a restocking fee. I just do not like the pressure that if I do not keep something, I will be out more money. That is why I chose FloBeds since I knew I am good at clicking the site for sales each day since I am at a computer each day and with the mark downs during the 90 days, my price was no more than it would have been for the SleepEZ kit but without the pressure that if it idid not work out, I would be out a lot of money.  Flobeds uses return preprinted labels that ship UPS with I think his rates and the pick-up charge was $10 for me but then I found a very local UPS store near me to bring the boxes to. I was able to fit all the latex pieces back in the boxes they came in when I exchanged latex cores. My problem was going softer than I wanted to since I was told that latex is different than conventional beds. I ended up having all very firm latex layers since that is how I sleep best. I also had to go with a thinner latex topper but that works for me since I like a little give in the top of the mattress with the confirming zipped up cover.

I hope SleepEz works with you to give you their rate in mailing the latex kit back to them.  I am sure they would want to help you since they know that you tried to like their bed.  We are all here for you and want updates on your spring mattress and are glad you found something comfortable for you.

Recent Posts