Best configuration for sleeping with partner?
Mar 29, 2010 11:59 PM
So, I do love my bed. But it isn't devoid of motion, and apparently my neurotic/anxious self won't allow any motion these days. So I'm trying to figure out how to configure a bed in which i can sleep with my partner (otherwise he's relegated to the other room).

I have the mattress on a platform bed with slats. The slats flex a bit, obviously giving a little motion to the mattress. Is it possible to put a mattress on a platform with slats that don't flex, or on a solid platform, or will any kind of platform add some movement? Is it thus necessary to have totally separate platforms/frames? I was considering cutting the mattress (latex/PU foam) in half, and sleeping side by side on the same platform bed, but this will probably still have some movement. I guess i need a platform with the same amount of motion as the floor (none), but i don't know if this exists. 

If i did cut the mattress, and get two different frames/platforms, maybe i could get a 'bridge' in case we want to join the mattresses together sometimes. But i assume that once i put the bridge on, it will transfer motion from one mattress to another. Correct? This would be once in a while, i guess.

So, it seems that I'll have to sell our beautiful platform bed and get two separate ones, if i'm to have absolutely no motion. Does this sound right, or is there something else I haven't considered? Thanks for any advice you can give a hopelessly neurotic person! ;)

Re: Best configuration for sleeping with partner?
Reply #16 Apr 1, 2010 11:01 PM
if you ever want to glue latex layers together you can actually get latex based adhesives, that would probably be best.
Reply #17 Apr 2, 2010 12:33 AM
electracat wrote:

Jim,

thank you for the suggestions. We're going to play around with some things, and i'll let you know how it goes!

I have one more question: If we slice the mattress layers (pu foam and one top latex layer) in half, is it possible to glue them back together someday if we wished? 

I really should have been born into royalty, back in the days of separate quarters...;)

thanks!

e-cat

The easiest way to "glue" the sections back together might be to get a new mattress cover and just zip it all back inside.  Or to really get the feel of a single mattress, splurge on a new topper to lay on top of the split layers.  That's what our flobed is and it feels like any other mattress, and though I'm presumably less sensitive than you I don't feel my husband's movement at all.

If nothing will allow you to sleep together you can always go to separate beds, but you can do this gradually to discover whether you really need to go that far  Why don't you try a step by step approach until you've found your tolerance limit?  First, cut the bottom layers in half but keep the top one intact, and leave it on your platform.  If you still can't sleep, cut the top one.  Then see if you can get a half inch gap on your current foundation.  Or put a piece of plywood over the slats to dampen the amount of flex possible.  Then separate foundations.  Save the pair of new beds for last.

Linda

Reply #18 Apr 2, 2010 11:59 AM
markbnh1 wrote:

"Or maybe i can slice the bed down the middle"

I'm picturing electracat with big grin on her face while holding a chainsaw above the bed!   hahaha  devil

Here's what I was thinking...I am sick and tired of replacing mattresses every two years..  I am in the market for a new Eastern King latex.

Considering Englander all Talalay and Stearns and Foster or Sealy (aren't they made the same... owned by the same parent co?) Anyway..

when discussing hammocking with the owner of The Sleepe Shop chain in So Cal... he said that any king mattress on a frame with the 

support in the middle will hammock..  it's only logical... SO  I am considering getting two twin xlong sets which would be the same size as

the eastern king and I could use the same bed linens... Or would those mattresses hammock eventually too ??

Recent Posts