Newbie Latex Bed Help
Apr 20, 2010 3:06 PM
HI all!  First post here...  I've been lurking, reading, and researching using this site and others for the past several days and I'm so glad I found you all here. My hubby and I are looking at buying a new latex bed and it seems like such a major decision that I know I need help from people who know a lot more than me.  Here's a little about us:

We bought our last bed when we first got engaged, 6 years ago.  We picked a foam bed to help with his back and my neck issues. It owas great for a while, but has completely caved in and offers no support anymore.  This time around, we're looking at latex because we have a young son and are planning for a second child, so we'd like to minimize everyone's exposure to toxic chemicals from our bed.

I'm not brave enough to buy online, so I'm shopping locally.  My options seems to be Pure Rest-www.purerest.com (most expensive of the bunch), Land and Sky-www.landandsky.com (most affordable) and WJ Southard www.wjsouthard.com (most comfortable, but a little pricey and doesn't have interchangeable layers.)

Oh and I should add that we're both big boned germanic/swedish types.  And since we're planning another pregnancy, this bed we'll need to be seriously supportive.  Of course I'm a side sleeper (especially during pregnancy) so it'll need to be a little soft too.

I'm finding all the options completely overwhelming and since this is such a MAJOR purchase for us, I turn to y'all for help.  Help!  :-)  Do y'all have any recomendations or at least ideas to help make our decisions?

Thanks in advance,

-Amber

Re: Newbie Latex Bed Help
Reply #11 Apr 21, 2010 12:11 PM
AmberMB wrote:

Well, I just decided to go with the Land and Sky bed because we could lay on it in the store and then I realized that the SleepEZ showroom is in Tempe and we're going out to Phoenix NEXT WEEK.  Maybe we'll spend a little time on vacation trying out SleepEz beds. :-)

Amber,  This sounds like an ideal solution for you!  If you're going to be near Sleepez, by all means delay your decision until you have a chance to visit their showroom.  I really do think they will offer you a better value than the LandandSky mattress, if ONLY because the mattress cover will have a zipper on it and you'll be able to interchange latex layers to suit your comfort level.  Remember that with these setups each side of the bed can be set up differently if you so wish.  Also, you will have a chance to compare Dunlop latex mattresses with Talalay latex mattresses, and speak in person with knowledgeable salespeople who *specialize* in latex mattresses.  This will be a much different situation that going to a mattress showroom where some latex mattresses are thrown in with the general mix of traditional mattresses.

Reply #12 Apr 21, 2010 12:28 PM
Amber, I think you're fortunate to be able to go there in person and actually try out the beds. As Kimberly says, hopefully you'll be able to compare actual matresses in different configurations and feel the difference between Dunlop and Talalay. And, hopefully, you'll find yourself a little less bewildrered by all the choices.

Please report back to those of us (me) who can't make a decision!

Reply #13 Apr 21, 2010 1:04 PM
Kimberly, the land and sky website is pretty vague.  They do have a zippable cover and interchangeable layers.  After reading this forum I'm convinced this is the way to go.  But of course they don't specialize in latex and I know Sleep EZ will have more options.  It seems like the prices are comparable, but I'm having a hard time with the SleepEZ site.  The timing works out so well to go there in person, I don't think I can turn it down!  :-)

Cynical-I promise to report back!

Reply #14 Apr 21, 2010 1:16 PM
Update-Ok, I just spoke to Shawn at Sleep EZ.  They're running an April special on natural latex which is great, but confusing.  The cover is cotton and Rayon and it looks like a dunlop core with a talalay topper.  Anyone have experience with the cotton/rayon blend cover?  Just concerned about breathability and feel compared to 100% cotton or Cotton/Wool.
Reply #15 Apr 21, 2010 2:14 PM
Hi Amber,

I saw that April special, and I didn't buy it.  First of all, it's only for a six or eight inch mattress, and since you're bigger people, you probably would be more comfortable with a 10" (8" would be a minimum).  Second, like you say, it's only for a Dunlop latex, and I prefer Talalay, it has a totally different feel.  Third, the mattress cover is not as good as their other ones.  I'd recommend that you get an all cotton and wool cover for your mattress.

What I ordered from Sleepez is this one, however I asked them if they would give me the organic cotton and wool mattress cover they sell with their organic latex mattress, and they agreed to do that.

My mattress from Sleepez is due to arrive tomorrow, though I'll be gone all day, so I probably won't actually get it until Friday.

Reply #16 May 12, 2010 12:50 AM
argh!  i just wrote an insightful and pithy look at my visit to Sleep EZ in phoenix.  I had to get up to tend to my toddler and my fat butt cat decided to sit on my laptop and erase my post while I was gone.  It's too late to start again, but I will write something soon.  My new mattress arrived this evening and I got the foundation put together tonight.  Hoping that tomorrow will be our first night in the new bed! 

Amber

Reply #17 May 13, 2010 6:11 PM
Hi Amber, waiting on pins and needles for your report. smiley

Recent Posts