Newbie Latex Bed Help
Apr 20, 2010 3:06 PM
HI all!  First post here...  I've been lurking, reading, and researching using this site and others for the past several days and I'm so glad I found you all here. My hubby and I are looking at buying a new latex bed and it seems like such a major decision that I know I need help from people who know a lot more than me.  Here's a little about us:

We bought our last bed when we first got engaged, 6 years ago.  We picked a foam bed to help with his back and my neck issues. It owas great for a while, but has completely caved in and offers no support anymore.  This time around, we're looking at latex because we have a young son and are planning for a second child, so we'd like to minimize everyone's exposure to toxic chemicals from our bed.

I'm not brave enough to buy online, so I'm shopping locally.  My options seems to be Pure Rest-www.purerest.com (most expensive of the bunch), Land and Sky-www.landandsky.com (most affordable) and WJ Southard www.wjsouthard.com (most comfortable, but a little pricey and doesn't have interchangeable layers.)

Oh and I should add that we're both big boned germanic/swedish types.  And since we're planning another pregnancy, this bed we'll need to be seriously supportive.  Of course I'm a side sleeper (especially during pregnancy) so it'll need to be a little soft too.

I'm finding all the options completely overwhelming and since this is such a MAJOR purchase for us, I turn to y'all for help.  Help!  :-)  Do y'all have any recomendations or at least ideas to help make our decisions?

Thanks in advance,

-Amber

Re: Newbie Latex Bed Help
Reply #1 Apr 20, 2010 4:43 PM
If you want an honest opinion, and I'm guessing you do, these three websites offer a lot of fluffy language about pure beds and not very much hard core information about what you are getting.

The wjsouthard bed probably won't do for you if you're a big-boned germanic/swedish types.  The core is only six inches of latex, and I think you'd need a MINIMUM of eight inches for proper support.

I'm particularly unimpressed with the purerest choice.  They state that they don't use Talalay latex because of two chemicals used in the manufacture and because there is no Talalay latex manufacturer in the US? HELLO?  Latex International, located in the US, is one of the two major manufacturers of Talalay latex, and they offer a 100% natural latex option:

http://www.latexinternational.com/index.php

If you think the latex by Latex Green is made without any chemical additions, think again.

I have tried the Landandsky mattress in person, and I wasn't impressed with the way they felt.  I don't know of anyone on this forum who has bought one.

These are all Dunlop mattresses, which is fine if that is what you want, but my honest opinion is this:

1) Don't buy any mattress that doesn't have at least a 60 day comfort period with a full refund option.

2) Don't buy any mattress that doesn't allow you to switch out layers to adjust the firmness of the mattress during the first 60-90 days.

3) Don't get caught up in the organic hype and believe that you won't be safe unless you get a 100% certfied organic mattress.  The latex (at least the LI latex) is thoroughly washed (five times) to remove any agents used in the production (some of which dissipate during the manufacture process anyway).  If you want to be natural, get a 100% botanically grown latex mattress instead of a blended.

My feeling is that you are going to end up spending at least 50% more than you need to, and have fewer options for customization, by buying from one of these companies that relies on fluffy descriptions about how non-toxic they are instead of giving you any real solid information.

Reply #2 Apr 20, 2010 5:06 PM
Kimberly,

Yes!  Thank you!  I totally want honesty here.  I'm not so concerned about organic when it comes to bed choices.  I'm concerned about chemical flame retardents and natural latex.  I am SO unhappy with the PU foam mattress that I'm wanting to stick with natural latex.  But whether it's organically grown isn't much of a concern.

So based on your assessment, I need to rethink the buying local plan and look at an online retailer?

-Amber

Reply #3 Apr 20, 2010 5:20 PM
I just read some of Pure Rest's website....I couldn't find the part where they said Talalay latex wasn't made in the US.  I just found the part where they say they do not sell Talalay because of the chemical preservatives used during transportation, and some of the extras used in manufacturing. 
Reply #4 Apr 20, 2010 5:34 PM
Amber,

I couldn't resist adding a reply since you sound just like I did about "buying locally" and not online.   After much research and visits to local mattress retailers, I ended up buying a 100% latex mattress from a very reputable local mattress mfg. company.   Although the mattress is a high quality product, it did not allow me to switch layers and adjust it as I wished.  (Sealed in a permanent cover)   I ended up doing 1 "comfort exchange" for a firmer mattress and now found it to be TOO firm.  Finally, I got the mattress I wanted by adding another 3 inch 100% natural latex topper from an online company. (For an extra $400 cost)  Whew!   

What am I trying to say?    In hindsight I wish I had purchased a latex mattress online with the ability to exchange and move the layers around to find the right combination.   If you research this forum you will see lots of discussions about the best online retailers and the pros and cons of each.   I would suggest you look at "Flowbeds",  "SleepEz", and "FoamSweetFoam" to get started.    They all have lots of information on their websites also.  Good luck.

Reply #5 Apr 20, 2010 6:21 PM
budgy wrote:

I just read some of Pure Rest's website....I couldn't find the part where they said Talalay latex wasn't made in the US.  I just found the part where they say they do not sell Talalay because of the chemical preservatives used during transportation, and some of the extras used in manufacturing. 

Maybe that was what I read, regarding chemical preservatives used during transportation to the US  . . . Budgy, do you think they are talking about preservatives while transporting the liquid latex to the US for latex foam manufacture?

This message was modified Apr 20, 2010 by KimberlyH
Reply #6 Apr 20, 2010 6:32 PM
AmberMB wrote:

Kimberly,

Yes!  Thank you!  I totally want honesty here.  I'm not so concerned about organic when it comes to bed choices.  I'm concerned about chemical flame retardents and natural latex.  I am SO unhappy with the PU foam mattress that I'm wanting to stick with natural latex.  But whether it's organically grown isn't much of a concern.

So based on your assessment, I need to rethink the buying local plan and look at an online retailer?

-Amber

Amber, to the best of my knowledge, chemical flame retardents are not added to latex during the manufacturing process.  There was some discussion on this forum about Latex Green making a latex with flame retardents, but I think he also said that particular formulation of latex foam isn't sent to the US.

If you have a question about flame retardents in latex, I suggest you call Flobeds or Sleepez.  These two firms seem to be the major players in latex mattresses and they will know the answers to your questions.

Some makers of latex mattresses use flame retardants in the mattress cover.  The latex mattresses that are made with cotton and wool covers don't have flame retardants as I believe the wool, a natural fire retardant, meets fire safety standards.

I have this bed from Flobeds in blended Talalay latex, and I just ordered this bed for my daughter from Sleepez.

You can ask all the questions you like on this forum, but in the end, nothing beats calling the experts to have your questions answered.

Reply #7 Apr 20, 2010 6:44 PM
I could not handle any type of chemical flame retardents added to my mattress due to my allergies. I could not even handle a new conventional mattress due to outgassing. I had bought a bed from a local store 3.25 years ago that I found out I was so allergic to. It was a Simons with a pillow top that was made up of man made latex, Polyurethane and a suede top. I couldn't breath and I was burning up. I could not sleep in the same room as the mattress and had to sleep on the floor in the other room until Rockaway Bedding took the mattress away. That is when I decided to sleep on the floor until my busy season ended since I already wasted 2 weeks looking for the mattress, buying the mattress and then returning it.  The floor was too hard so I bought a 1" soft latex topper from Overstock and found out I liked sleeping on latex just like I liked sleeping all my life on my natural latex pillows.  I asked many quesitons on forums and two of my clients (who I had cancelled their first appointment with due to the allergy to the bed) at the end of their appointment told me about FloBeds.  I tried out so many latex beds in stores and then ordered the bed too soft. Thank goodness for all the latex exchanges. I was not allergic at all to the bed but the smell from the pine slats bothered me for a few days so I had to put two air cleaners blowing on it.  I love having a bed that does not cause me to have allergies and that gives me support. I also like having a bed that I was able to configure to meet my needs since we are all so different.

Reply #8 Apr 20, 2010 7:20 PM
KimberlyH wrote:

Maybe that was what I read, regarding chemical preservatives used during transportation to the US  . . . Budgy, do you think they are talking about preservatives while transporting the liquid latex to the US for latex foam manufacture?

Yes...they do add ammonia as an anti-coagulant before transportation.  Although Kimberly, you are absolutely right about Latex Green too.  The funny thing about this company is that they were specifically talking about the preservatives....Latex Green adds ammonia as well, presumably not as much as Latex International or other US or Europe processed latex foams would have to add.  Natural rubber would vulcanize naturally upon exposure to air within a matter of maybe 6 or 7 hours without anything being added.  The only company I know of that tries to bypass this is Green Sleep, they make their own rubber cores and they arrange to have the milk they collect in the morning processed by the afternoon the same day. 

What I don't like about Pure Rest is that they are calling their latex foam organic...this is simply not possible.  You can raise rubber trees organically, some companies do this...most do not, and even if you avoid the stabilization chemicals, you still need vulcanizing agents.  You cannot just turn natural rubber into foam without adding something to it.  This is why its better to call the foam 100% natural, rather than organic. 

I say this as someone who actually specializes in the organic field, and its something I believe in very passionately...however the line has to be drawn somewhere...you cannot make latex foam purer than about 95~97% purity...if we allow the 3~5% slip on even the purest rubber around and call it organic then there is a slippery slope where we could also call 30% soy based foam "organic". 

Reply #9 Apr 21, 2010 10:17 AM
Well, I just decided to go with the Land and Sky bed because we could lay on it in the store and then I realized that the SleepEZ showroom is in Tempe and we're going out to Phoenix NEXT WEEK.  Maybe we'll spend a little time on vacation trying out SleepEz beds. :-)
Reply #10 Apr 21, 2010 10:51 AM
AmberMB, that is great!  It is the best to be near one of the online stores to take your time to try out the bed and get it close to right the first time.  Please keep us updated.

Reply #11 Apr 21, 2010 12:11 PM
AmberMB wrote:

Well, I just decided to go with the Land and Sky bed because we could lay on it in the store and then I realized that the SleepEZ showroom is in Tempe and we're going out to Phoenix NEXT WEEK.  Maybe we'll spend a little time on vacation trying out SleepEz beds. :-)

Amber,  This sounds like an ideal solution for you!  If you're going to be near Sleepez, by all means delay your decision until you have a chance to visit their showroom.  I really do think they will offer you a better value than the LandandSky mattress, if ONLY because the mattress cover will have a zipper on it and you'll be able to interchange latex layers to suit your comfort level.  Remember that with these setups each side of the bed can be set up differently if you so wish.  Also, you will have a chance to compare Dunlop latex mattresses with Talalay latex mattresses, and speak in person with knowledgeable salespeople who *specialize* in latex mattresses.  This will be a much different situation that going to a mattress showroom where some latex mattresses are thrown in with the general mix of traditional mattresses.

Reply #12 Apr 21, 2010 12:28 PM
Amber, I think you're fortunate to be able to go there in person and actually try out the beds. As Kimberly says, hopefully you'll be able to compare actual matresses in different configurations and feel the difference between Dunlop and Talalay. And, hopefully, you'll find yourself a little less bewildrered by all the choices.

Please report back to those of us (me) who can't make a decision!

Reply #13 Apr 21, 2010 1:04 PM
Kimberly, the land and sky website is pretty vague.  They do have a zippable cover and interchangeable layers.  After reading this forum I'm convinced this is the way to go.  But of course they don't specialize in latex and I know Sleep EZ will have more options.  It seems like the prices are comparable, but I'm having a hard time with the SleepEZ site.  The timing works out so well to go there in person, I don't think I can turn it down!  :-)

Cynical-I promise to report back!

Reply #14 Apr 21, 2010 1:16 PM
Update-Ok, I just spoke to Shawn at Sleep EZ.  They're running an April special on natural latex which is great, but confusing.  The cover is cotton and Rayon and it looks like a dunlop core with a talalay topper.  Anyone have experience with the cotton/rayon blend cover?  Just concerned about breathability and feel compared to 100% cotton or Cotton/Wool.
Reply #15 Apr 21, 2010 2:14 PM
Hi Amber,

I saw that April special, and I didn't buy it.  First of all, it's only for a six or eight inch mattress, and since you're bigger people, you probably would be more comfortable with a 10" (8" would be a minimum).  Second, like you say, it's only for a Dunlop latex, and I prefer Talalay, it has a totally different feel.  Third, the mattress cover is not as good as their other ones.  I'd recommend that you get an all cotton and wool cover for your mattress.

What I ordered from Sleepez is this one, however I asked them if they would give me the organic cotton and wool mattress cover they sell with their organic latex mattress, and they agreed to do that.

My mattress from Sleepez is due to arrive tomorrow, though I'll be gone all day, so I probably won't actually get it until Friday.

Reply #16 May 12, 2010 12:50 AM
argh!  i just wrote an insightful and pithy look at my visit to Sleep EZ in phoenix.  I had to get up to tend to my toddler and my fat butt cat decided to sit on my laptop and erase my post while I was gone.  It's too late to start again, but I will write something soon.  My new mattress arrived this evening and I got the foundation put together tonight.  Hoping that tomorrow will be our first night in the new bed! 

Amber

Reply #17 May 13, 2010 6:11 PM
Hi Amber, waiting on pins and needles for your report. smiley

Recent Posts