Anyone try Serta 'cool' memory foam topper?
Dec 8, 2009 12:24 PM
Overstock has a Serta 2-inch 4lb density memory foam topper that is billed as a 'cool' memory foam. Does anyone know if this is any different from other MF toppers, if it's any cooler? I was all set to buy the Serta 3-inch 4lb that is *not* listed as being 'cool' but the possibility of a truly cooler foam topper has me second guessing my decision. Does anyone know if this 'cooler' topper is formulated differently, or if it's supposed to be cooler just because it has an inch less depth to it?
Re: Anyone try Serta 'cool' memory foam topper?
Reply #22 Dec 19, 2009 3:30 PM
i don't want the s.&f.'s that have any m.f. at all.  & actually all of the sealy reserves & signatures have a little bit of it (in their x3 or x7 respectively), but that's barely 1/.2".  the estate ULTRA FIRM doesn't have anything but marvelux, high performance/high density sealyfoam, & .79" latex (no sealyfoam, super soft sealyfoam, no m.f. or any other p.u. foams etc.).  now one of the other s&f.'s ultra firms, the queensgate at sears, it's less but has an inch of m.f. in it that i  personally don't care for.  but the "rejuvinate" series.  although it has a layer of sealyfoam 1/4" that i'd rather not be there, it just felt so awesome,comforting, supportive, VERY firm.  i'm thinking if it's worth $1100 considering convenience- assuming he can throw in a split/queen box for that price & it's something i can drive out of there (instead of meeting a delivery TRUCK b/t 8a-5p).  but that's $191 MORE than the factory ships direct from warehouse intereb price (& no TAX there), but i've read horror stories of ripped mattresses & "well if the side's ripped, it doesn't affect how it sleeps deal with it", "ou signed for it too late"(& of course the delivery men pressure you to sign it a.s.a.p.), "call sealy not our problem", denial of exchange or refund, & getting "substituted" downgraded foundations (not the actual Abzzorber box springs).  now this was only a handful of reviews vs. 100's of positive ones, so il.d.k.  either way, i liked htis one salesmaN & kind of want to give him my business anyway because he was cool, the only one to show me his literature (models with layers listed so icould match them up), & just be cool & not be  DICK like some guys who will just not onlytel you "b.s." but also straight up LIES to get you to buy whatever they have in stock.

otherwise, if  i weren't scared of those pitfalls, i'd get the sealy signature greenhrust firm in    q. for $909 from u.s. mattress.  i bet those guys would get the s/queen foundation for me. i just hate to meet a truck.  i'd rather truck it myself.  i'd have to stay awake all day. unless they could guarantee 8a-12p delivery (which would turn out to be 3pm anyway),  i'll just have to pay $200 more & deliver it myself (but also get the rejuvinate aloe encasement which i won't lie feels great). you know split queen foundations are going to be TINY.  narrower than twin/1/2king etc. 

so considering the above, maybe i should spurge on the s&f estate u.f., & see if he'll price match $1539 for a s/queen (from $16xx somethign) & f. latex altogether.

because the only type of sealy foam i want is the h.d./h.p. sealy foam or marvelux.  no "sealy foam", "super soft sealy foam", "convoluted sealy foam" etc. & for only $200 more this has no mf. (vs. sears S.& F.).

the s&f. that would rock is the lucas park/deacon ridge/maribel(?) at r.s. 

well wroth $1500+ if you can swing it.  f. toppers or latex in that case.  i don't want to interfere iwth such perfect finishing on the mattress of either that or a signature/rejuvinate with any type of topper.  so it's either my recipe for a foam bed or an o.o.b. sealy that i know will work.  <$1200.  easy decision.

SERTA.
Reply #23 Dec 19, 2009 3:43 PM

well i thought about getting a serta for cheap, at sam's who will always back you up for years.  even if the company warranty doesn't.  they're getting abused in that regard now, so they are getting more strict (no more 3 years on televisions- people were just upgrading t.v.'s every three years!). 

but their serta mattresses' springs feel too WEAK even though their coil gauge is heavier (13 /14 vs. 14 in sealy).  i guess that many fewer springs make a bigger diffrence (530 vs. 782).  but i'd rather have sealy's cheapest than the particular $645 serta firm i tried. i sink right through those springs.  but the difference between $1100 & $1550 from the sealy rejuvinate signature & s&f u.f. i.d.k.  Not in feel, only in other measures of quality.  the double springs. higher quality box spring. i.d.k. but it looked like hardwood framed box springs.  very nice anyway.  very firm comfort layers.  & beautiful embroidery, encasement, carry handles!, piping, heavy soft cotton sleeping surface etc.  very nice.  so maybe it is worth it.  i have to think seriously about making that happen.  i'd do it if they match with brady & verns or something furniture (ie. NOT a mattress "factory direct" shipper which rooms store will NOT match), for $1529 for a split queen,  & it's that much less more that will be hard to deny.  & hard to TOP with raw foam...

dfs

Re: Anyone try Serta 'cool' memory foam topper?
Reply #24 Dec 19, 2009 5:18 PM
Jason, the number of coils definetly makes a difference.  On the Sealy's, I found the most support on the ones with the highest # of coils, even if they were a bitter thinner gauge. 

So, I am not totally clear on what you are trying to get?  The ultra firm S&F estate?  I agree that they is very firm and supportive, but too firm for me.  I was not able to find out all of the foams in the S&F estates, since I cannot find info. online about exactly what is in them.  I would have to call back a salesmen to get the info.

Recent Posts