Anyone try Serta 'cool' memory foam topper?
Dec 8, 2009 12:24 PM
Overstock has a Serta 2-inch 4lb density memory foam topper that is billed as a 'cool' memory foam. Does anyone know if this is any different from other MF toppers, if it's any cooler? I was all set to buy the Serta 3-inch 4lb that is *not* listed as being 'cool' but the possibility of a truly cooler foam topper has me second guessing my decision. Does anyone know if this 'cooler' topper is formulated differently, or if it's supposed to be cooler just because it has an inch less depth to it?
Re: Anyone try Serta 'cool' memory foam topper?
Reply #12 Dec 12, 2009 1:41 PM
Sandman: I know you have a FlowBeds, I'm sure you probably already know this but I will mention it just the same. FloBeds also sells waterbeds, and thus the name FlowBeds, this is how they started.

With a waterbed you have a great deal of control over the temperature of the bed. If you want it cool, no problem. Just turn down the thermostat. I'm sure Dave Turner would be willing to work something out with you.
Reply #13 Dec 12, 2009 1:54 PM
Thanks eagle.  I cannot have a waterbed where I am living right now.  I am sure that would be a great option temperature wise, but it is not in the cards for me a the moment. 

I am not totally sure if an innerspring will solve my problem.  It is possible that the ones I have slept on the past have been cooler because they just had a thin layer of cheap low density padding.  So, they are not the most comfortable.  Upgrading to higher quality more dense foams might bring the heat issue right back.  Trial and error may be the only way to find out. 

This message was modified Dec 12, 2009 by sandman
Reply #14 Dec 12, 2009 4:00 PM
sandman wrote:
Thanks eagle.  I cannot have a waterbed where I am living right now.  I am sure that would be a great option temperature wise, but it is not in the cards for me a the moment. 

I am not totally sure if an innerspring will solve my problem.  It is possible that the ones I have slept on the past have been cooler because they just had a thin layer of cheap low density padding.  So, they are not the most comfortable.  Upgrading to higher quality more dense foams might bring the heat issue right back.  Trial and error may be the only way to find out. 

Sandman: One other thought. FloBeds also sells air beds, if memory serves. I think you need to take your concerns to them and let them work with you as they are pretty broad in their selection of bedding. On top of this Dave Turner is something of an inventor and really, kind of enjoys the challenge of working out problems in the area of mattresses.

It's worth a shot anyway.

Good luck.
Reply #15 Dec 13, 2009 1:58 PM
Hi Sandman,

I know you've tried lots of things for the heat issue, but I can't remember if you've tried a THICK wool topper, i.e. not a fleece pad such as snugfleece but the type that has several layers of wool fleece encased in a cotton shell, so the whole thing is 3-4".  In my experience that type feels very different than the wool fleece pad. It would affect the feeling of the latex though.  As you may know from my posts, I find even the fleece pad makes the latex feel firmer, so I have taken mine off, as I prefer the feel of the latex without it.  I've never used the thick wool topper on my Flobed; it came with my old bed which had a very thin piece of latex and then the wool pad.  But it was interesting that that bed never felt hot (but it was way too firm for me).  Good luck with your decision-making. I was relieved to finally be done with it when I decided to keep my Flobed!

When I was away for a week, I slept on a very firm innerspring mattress (old, flipable kind with no extra padding) on which I put my convoluted latex topper (doubled) and my wool fleece pad in order to even be able to sleep at all (bed was way to firm for me).  I think it felt cooler than my Flobed but far less comfortable.  It's hard to really assess temp temp-wise as it's all so subjective, and undoubtedly depends also on the weather/temp in the room/bedding, etc.

I probably won't be back on this forum much, but still hope to check in now and then. And if anything changes significantly in my experience, I'll post then. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.  It's a great resource, and I hope my posts have also been of benefit to some people.

Linda
Reply #16 Dec 13, 2009 2:57 PM
Thanks Linda.  I have not tried a thick wool pad.  I did try a snugfleece, and that did not seem to make any difference. 

I think you are right that there is a tradeoff between comfort and warmth.  A firm innerspring with minimal padding will be cooler, but not that comfortable.  I went and tried a few innerspring today, and I don't like them as much.   If I add more comfortable layers, latex or memory foam, I may be back to where I am right now heat wise.

The last few nights I wake up around 1-2am and feel a bit warm, but then I go back to sleep and I am fine.  Even with my old bed I would probably would wake up around the same time.  So, I am not sure if the innerspring will make much difference, except possibly in summer. 

I am going to add a thicker mattress pad this week to see if that changes things at all.  Also, there is something called a bedfan, which blows some air under the sheets to keep you cooler.  Sounds kind of weird, but it does work for some people.  In summer that might be something I could use.

Reply #17 Dec 13, 2009 4:52 PM
Sandman: after having read all your trials and tribulations with heat problems vis-à-vis matters, it just seems to me that you need a waterbed so that you can control the temperature with a thermostat.

I know you say where you currently live that this is not acceptable. Then I would seriously consider moving somewhere that would allow a waterbed since you're having so much trouble getting to sleep due to heat build up. There are some very good waterbeds on the market that will sleep very comfortably. It is true you need a very firm foundation under them because water weight is 8 pounds per gallon, so in my California King soft sided waterbed, with me in it, there was approximately 800+ pounds to contend with.

But one thing's for sure, you can turn down the thermostat and make the mattress quite cool!

Think about it!
This message was modified Dec 13, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #18 Dec 14, 2009 7:42 AM
sandman wrote:

What kind of mattress do you have?

just another sealy posturepedic- the cheapest reserve firm that still has their signature line's coils.

but if i had the budget, it would easily be a p-grade stearns & foster in ultra firm.  their lowest model that has the dual spring setup- smaller tighter coils within larger taller coils, so dual action shock absorption & 2x as many in the same area. all marvelux & high performance/high density foam on top & more of it than the sealys.  just too expensive & too beautiful to butcher now or later for any reason.  unless a toddler were somehow trapped in there or something else highly unlikely.  they do feel incredible though.

i just have to wait until the costco sale is over or runs o.o.s. because it's hard to buy  anything else while that's an option.  you can hardly buy 6" of raw dunlop latex without a cover for what they're charging for their 10" queen.

Reply #19 Dec 14, 2009 12:00 PM
That's intersting because I was/am considering the cushion firm of of the Sealy Reserve line.  Probably my favorite thing I tried for $1500 or less was the firm S&F estate (no pillowtop).  I have read about problems form S&F with sagging, etc., so that scares me a bit.  Yes, I would hate to cut into it (at least for many years).

I also saw that foamsweetfoam has 3" strips of 100% natural talalay latex for $400 (queen).  No cover though (you can buy a cheap terry cloth at sleeplikeabear),  so if you don't want dunlop they are not a bad way to go.  Can't compete with the Costco price though.

From what I can tell the Celsion does not seem to be any cooler than the Talatech.  Maybe in summer it would make a difference, but I am skeptical at this point.

Reply #20 Dec 18, 2009 6:40 AM
o.k. i've found it close to that- $1529 but not sure if it included shipping (& extra for split queen for me).  i agree they feel better than anything near that price, even sealy's springfree firm latex.

so i went to the roomstore this week. they had both that one at $1629 but with "unconditional price match guarantee" (we'll see, they match internet prices just not 'direct from warehouse' type sellers), and they also had the sealy signature firm.  the latter was a special designation of the signature line called "rejuvinate" (?), which is the same, just with some special covering ("aloe treated").  but i matched up all the layers in his paperwork on it, & except for the case & tag, layer for layer it's the exact same thing as the signature greenhurst firm for $909.  roomstore has it for $1099, & they will not price match that much. 

anyway, the whole point is for me, BOTH of those models feel so nice out of the box, that it would be hard for me to put any topper over them in the first place.  even if it helped long-term protect the layers of foam in the mattress itslelf.  so i think i'm looking at an either0-or situation.  all foam, the costco latex or d.i.y.- OR -a good spring mattress.   the most expensive i've found that i'd evne consider cutting into for surgery are the sam's serta firm sets for ~$700 (only ~500 13ga coils), but they felt less supportive to me vs. even the sealy.  much less the s&f- everything about that thing is awesome though.  much more impressive box springs, dual coil system, all quality foams etc.

Reply #21 Dec 18, 2009 11:33 AM
Jason, the S&F I looked at was the luxury firm estate.  At the time it was $1500 at Macy's plus 10% off plus $100 of if you signed up for their credit card.  So, $1250 plus tax.  I think that actually was a pretty good deal, which is probably no longer is available.  I am a bit worried about the longevity though, since the foams are probably just the higher end sealy foams.  If I was going to do surgery, I think I would get one of the Sealy Reserves for about $720 from US mattress.  The cushion firm might be sleepable for me for a few years (possibly with 1" topper).

I have configured my flobed a bit firmer and put on a thick poly filled mattress pad.  That seems to have made it slightly cooler.

Last night I had F over XF over XF with no convoluted cover.  Probably a bit firm, but still okay.  Next I am going to try XF/F/XF and with the convoluted cover flipped over (for you flobed people, I think flipping over the convoluted layer makes it a bit firmer feel if that what you are looking for).   I may also try my wool mattress pad over the the thick poly one to see what that is like (heat wise).

However, I will be out of town for the next 10 nights, so not sure what I will be sleeping on.  Happy Holidays to all of you out there!

This message was modified Dec 18, 2009 by sandman

Recent Posts