Help! Help! I'm about to decide!
May 5, 2010 1:28 PM
I'm almost ready (I hope) to make a decision. I compared both SleepEZ's 10,000 and 13,000 models with FloBeds' Posture Select & Posture Deluxe models in both blended and natural/organic. I've made myself a pro/con/price chart between SleepEZ & FloBeds, and SleepEZ comes out way ahead on the price, which is a huge deal for me. Including foundation, legs and shipping, SleepEZ's top of the line product comes out for less $ than FloBeds' cheapest product. There are no sales right now at FloBeds, and I know people have said they followed the site daily and ended up getting refunds as sales occurred but I probably won't do that for 90 days.

Unless someone can tell me something that makes the $$$ difference worth it, lets assume I'm going with SleepEZ. But I have just a few more issues and hope anyone with experience can help me out. 

1) What are the reasons to get the 13" mattress over the 10"?

2) Blended vs. natural Talalay... still can't decide who is right and who is wrong on this!

3) SleepEz says I can mix Dunlop and Talalay layers, is there a good reason to do this? Like Dunlop for the bottom layer(s)?

Re: Help! Help! I'm about to decide!
Reply #20 May 10, 2010 3:54 PM
KimberlyH wrote:

Did you ever decide on which mattress to get?  If it makes any difference in your deliberations, let me say that I've been working with my daughter on her bed.  She's been using the old comforter for several days now, and her complaints are lessened.

I still think it will be a good idea for me to get her a wool protector (not topper, she wouldn't tolerate any shifting around of the topper) and since she's switched back to her old, thinner comforter, I'll be buying her a new lightweight comforter as well (alas, not the silk one Budgy linked - that looks like more than I can afford).

Are you asking me if I decided on a mattress yet?   I have decided to order my own latex layers and make my own.  Since I already have 4 layers of latex now, I know I need something more cushy.  I have firm already.

I am so close I can feel it now.  I am considering the Ergosoft (Latex Green) 16-18ILD, I may ask for samples.  I sent them an email, and haven't heard back yet. The company does take returns, and RMM doesn't.  But Absoluteonsale doesn't say what they do with their returns, so that is a concern of mine. 

Let us know Kimberly what you think of the wool mattress pad you get for your daughter.

Reply #21 May 10, 2010 5:26 PM
I haven't been able to decide yet either. Right now I'm debating platform bed vs. foundation and legs from one of the two above-mentioned companies.
Reply #22 May 10, 2010 5:58 PM
Ask yourself if you want returned layers, do you?  If not do you mind $50 copay for new layers from Flobeds?  No payment for new layer required for Sleepeze. You said you don't want convoluted layer.  You still have to pay $30 or so to return shipping the layers you return.

Have you ever tried latex before Cynicaljones?  If not perhaps you do need to be able to exchange layers.  Both places will do that.

Have you thought of building your own?  You can build one for $1200 or under for a 9" latex bed.  You can make a 12" for $1600.  I am estimating at $400 a layer which is Foamsweetfoam's price (natural talalay).  RMM is cheaper for the less ILD layers.  You could have an extra layer in the closet for swapping layers out for $2000.  There you are up to almost a Flobed or Sleepeze bed. 

Personally I like 1 1/2" layers or 2" layers for more flexibility.  I don't want to be moving 3" layers around at the top anyway.

This message was modified May 10, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #23 May 10, 2010 7:44 PM
Leo3 wrote:

Ask yourself if you want returned layers, do you?  If not do you mind $50 copay for new layers from Flobeds?  No payment for new layer required for Sleepeze. You said you don't want convoluted layer.  You still have to pay $30 or so to return shipping the layers you return.

Have you ever tried latex before Cynicaljones?  If not perhaps you do need to be able to exchange layers.  Both places will do that.

Have you thought of building your own?  You can build one for $1200 or under for a 9" latex bed.  You can make a 12" for $1600.  I am estimating at $400 a layer which is Foamsweetfoam's price (natural talalay).  RMM is cheaper for the less ILD layers.  You could have an extra layer in the closet for swapping layers out for $2000.  There you are up to almost a Flobed or Sleepeze bed. 

Personally I like 1 1/2" layers or 2" layers for more flexibility.  I don't want to be moving 3" layers around at the top anyway.

I have not been able to find a place anywhere near me that sells all latex beds, and I guess this is partially why I'm having such trouble deciding. I would hate to make a very expensive mistake I can't really afford. It would be great to get the right configuration 1st time, the extra $$$ to exchange layers could go toward new sheets, for example.

I don't really mind getting someone else's returned layers, I would trust that they've been inspected and cleaned.

I have thought of building my own, I have looked at Foam By Mail and read about them here. The price is right, but I'm not sure I want to take a chance with them, in case it doesn't work out for me or the quality is not so great. Their 1", 2" and 3" layers only come in medium and soft, according to their site. They are still on my larger "consider" list, though. Since I only need a Twin XL, the cost would be even less for me.

I'm still not even sure what to do about a foundation. One of theirs (SleepEZ, FloBeds, etc...) on legs, on a metal frame, platform bed, euro-slats? FloBeds has their Euro-slats on sale now if you buy one of their mattresses. But still cost more money, and you're right, I don't like that convoluted layer. I don't like the way the sample felt under the cover swatch and I'm concerned it would wear out faster.

This message was modified May 10, 2010 by cynicaljones
Reply #24 May 11, 2010 11:22 AM
OK, so I just did some math over at Foam by Mail, and I could get a 6" firm (covered) plus a couple 3" toppers and another cover for probably less than $700. That would leave me extra money for a platform bed frame.

Reasons why I shouldn't this (other than the cover is not as nice as the wool covers, no layer exchange, not certain about the quality of the latex)?

Reply #25 May 11, 2010 11:45 PM
cynicaljones wrote:

OK, so I just did some math over at Foam by Mail, and I could get a 6" firm (covered) plus a couple 3" toppers and another cover for probably less than $700. That would leave me extra money for a platform bed frame.

Reasons why I shouldn't this (other than the cover is not as nice as the wool covers, no layer exchange, not certain about the quality of the latex)?

I was in your shoes about 8 years ago. I read this forum and wanted to try latex but didn't want to spend the $ on a flobeds even though I wanted to be able to try various layers.

Here's how I decided to go with flobeds. I thought:

"If I build my own latex mattress it will cost me at least a grand and then if I don't like it, I'm out a grand. On the other hand, if I try the flobeds and don't like it, I'm just out a couple hundred dollars for shipping and layer exchanges.

We bought the flobeds, tried it for 90 days and could never make it work for us. I just plain did not like the feel of a pure latex - or pure latex with some memory foam - mattress.

So we were glad we bought a flobeds instead of building our own. This way we were only out a few hundred dollars (I forget how much it actually was - maybe more like $200?) and we gained from the experience. Now we knew we just did not like the feel of an all latex mattress but we did learn something about latex, ILD's and such. And now we incorporate latex into our own DIY foam-ectomied mattresses. And I'm a fan of any company that has such excellent customer service and a near-full refund policy. In mattresses this is as good as customer service gets, imho.

Another option where you can try a pure foam mattress - not latex, but you could buy your own latex topper for it - is overnightmattress.com. Their foam is pretty good quality - more or less "HR" or "HD" quality - and they give you a full 120 day sleep trial and full refund including shipping. They are VERY picky about returns, though - it has to be super perfect clean or they'll stick you with a penalty. But I got out of the penalty (they found a couple of my wife's hairs on the foam which we are sure got there when we were boxing it up - by establishing a rapport with one of the guys in charge, on the phone. So I do recommend them. Yes, we sent it back, but we almost kept it. I recommend just the basic base with no memory foam, then adding latex on top, maybe an inch of Natural Talalay 24ILD and an inch of sleeplikeabear's Talatech 14ILD.

Reply #26 May 18, 2010 2:30 AM
You sound just like me two weeks ago. Now I'm cursing my latex bed from SleepEz. Shaun is great,

and I still love my bed, but my back is sore, and cannot find the right combination like so many others on here.

Dunlop is probably what we should have got for the bottom. Talalay is just so soft. My husband kept saying he wanted soft,

and now he sleeps on firm and extra firm. But he still hates the top layer of soft we both share. It also has weird smell, that I try and tell myself doesn't bother me. and I pray it doesn't bother the new baby.

I was so excited about this mattress, I told everybody I could about it. They said I could sell them. I have people lined up to buy them, now I feel stupid because I don't want them frustrated like I am.

But I still don't want to give my mattress back. But it is like a big freakin cake!. My husband has rearranged the layers so many times, we have forgotten which combination we can even live with!. It also stirs up little pieces that fall off everytime you handle it. Ours already ripped in the corner.

I hope you have a better experience with your bed. I am thinking I should have maybe bought off the guy from the Arizona company. I saw him put the bed together on Youtube. His mattressess core is 6" then a soft talalay on top. That just made sense to me, but I didn't go with my gut.

Reply #27 May 18, 2010 12:26 PM
Aaaaahhhhhh! Why are you doing this to me??!!

Just kidding, I'm saving my angst for after I've slept on the bed a couple nights.

Reply #28 Jun 9, 2010 8:31 PM
I think there is a tipo on the Sleep EZ website regarding the cover. It is clearlly not 2oz, maybe 2oz per sq ft.

The Sleep EZ cover is 1" thick... cotton ticking with a full inch of lambs wool inside.

They told me they used to have a thicker cover but it did little save to add deeper body impressions... so they scaled back to 1"!

As for heat with latex, it's usually an issue of the top layer, or all of them, being too soft. Try a firmer layer, especially at the top.

Reply #29 Jun 10, 2010 12:54 AM
mtnhome wrote:

I think there is a tipo on the Sleep EZ website regarding the cover. It is clearlly not 2oz, maybe 2oz per sq ft.

The Sleep EZ cover is 1" thick... cotton ticking with a full inch of lambs wool inside.

Once I got my bed I realized it must have been a typo. It's fine so far.

Recent Posts