Where is the best place to find a low cost slatted foundation?
Nov 11, 2008 2:36 PM
This is what I have found with my research over the last few days:

I found one on sleepez's site that looked like it would do the job. I called and he quoted $295 for a king, shipped. It looks like it has the correct spacing between the slats to adequately support a latex mattress. Then I tracked a older thread on here that pointed to CPS Wood Products and called them and was quoted $182 for a king plus $65 shipping to Oregon or a total of $247.  This is shipped form Tennessee.  I asked about the spacing as it looks a little wide and was told there was 4 7/8" between the slats putting it just a little too far apart for me.  Both of these frames have a ticking cover that looks like it slides on and pulls tight with a drawstring - they also both look like they could be taken apart relatively fast and moved a lot easier than other box springs.

Are there any other options reasonably priced?  I do need something that is at least 6 or 8 inches high to fit on my bedframe and would like it to be slatted, as the latex needs to breathe.  I see a few at IKEA but don't really think they would work with my current bedframe and the one that is closest is really tall (about a foot) and meant to store things underneath.  I like the idea of the Euro type with adjustable slats but don't want to spend more on that than the mattress itself. Are they worth it?

Bill

Re: Where is the best place to find a low cost slatted foundation?
Reply #1 Nov 16, 2008 10:20 AM
I have found another slatted foundation after doing some digging....

This looks to be identical (same product) to what some of the mattress stores sell but it looks to be from the actual manufacturer.

The product's name is VersiFlex and made by Coverest out of Tennessee.  From the looks of it, the slats look like 1 x 3's and appear to be close enough to work. Coverest actually sells memory foam mattress which are also very heavy and if it works for those it should be fine for latex. They are quoting anywhere from $229 for a twin, to $299 for a king. The lumber appears to my eye to be of a better finish grade than the CPS Wood Products frame.

Here's the poop on it from their website:

Introducing the VersiFlex®, by Coverest®, the original state-of-the-art collapsible mattress foundation that is a breeze to move in and out of your home, and stronger than the old traditional models. With an 8-inch profile, it is made from solid Spruce, requires only 6 carriage bolts, and can be fully assembled in less than 10 minutes. With a simple, one-of-a-kind design, the entire foundationl fits in a box that measures only 80" x 10" x 10"!

Advantages:

• 10 minutes approximate assembly time
  • No additional tools required
  • Ships via UPS or similar carrier
  • Easy to disassemble and store
  • Can transport in a minivan or SUV
  • Fits into attics, townhomes, and Cape Cods
  • Higher quality wood means better performance and durability

Assembling the founding is simple

Step 1 is connecting the side rails. Lay the side rails and one end beam on the floor. Line-up both side rails with the channels on the end beam. Insert the bolts through the hols on both corners of the end beam and tighten.

Step 2 is placing the center rail through the middle of the end beam. (There are no bolts necessary to secure this rail to the end beam.) Then insert two bolts through the holes found on both outside corners of the end beam and tighten.

Step 3 is positioning the slats. Simply place the roll of slats on the top of the wooden structure at one end. Set the first slat behind the peg and unroll the slats across the top of the foundation. Set the last slat behind the other peg. (You may have to pull tight to get the slats snug).

Step 4, the final step, is putting the cover on the foundation. Slip the cover over the corner edges of the foundation with the fabric out. Lift the foundation onto it's side and pull the draw string tight.

It's that simple!

This message was modified Nov 16, 2008 by BillB

Recent Posts