Update: I've had a DIY FBM (Foam by mail) mattress since September.
Nov 24, 2011 12:02 AM
Update to this thread:  http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/first-post-building-fbm-mattress-latex-memory-foam/25374-0-1.html

I can't believe I've had it this long.   Anyways, I received the foam in boxes, and in the boxes were some very tightly wrapped foam.  Without getting into too many details, the foam whooshed as I cut the plastic, and it expanded a lot.  It smelled bad, but not enough to bother me enough not to sleep on it that night.  

I went with this setup:

2inch 20ILD latex topper: $180

2inch 32ILD latex midlayer: $190

5inch HD36-R poly base: $120

The 20ILD and the 32ILD latex foam is nearly impossible to tell the difference.  I sat there squeezing each one and couldnt tell.  I folded them both in half, and squeezed the 4 inches and couldn't tell.  I think I found the softer one and put it on top.  I really have no idea.  

When I first got the mattress, the bottom 5 inch layer didn't fill the bed frame.  The top two layers were also wider.   After a week or so the bottom layer filled the frame snuggly (queen sized) and the top layers, while still larger, were a closer fit.

As for comfort - I found it to be a little firm for me.  The first week I had some pains but I knew to let my body get used to the bed, and it did.  I don't wake up with any pains, but I didn't before.  I am young and have a pretty healthy pain free body.   Like I said, it still felt too firm.  I slept in a pillowtop posturepedic before I moved, and slept it in again a month or so after I had my foam mattress.  The sealy is much softer and I sunk in a lot more.  The sinking feeling felt like a little bit too much now that I had the foam bed.  I really don't 'sink in' to my foam, but it isn't as firm as it sounds.  I just took a picture to see how straight my spine is, and it isn't.  I am 39 inches at my widest (hips) and 32 at my smallest (waist) and the difference causes some problems with spine alignment.  

One thing I do want to note:  Holy hell foam mattresses are a pain in the ass to put fitted sheets on.  Especially that 3 of my four corners are inaccessable.  

If there is anything else you guys want to know, ask away.

For now, I am thinking of picking up some lighter density cheap foam to put on top of the 5 inches of hd36.  I'm thinking if I put it under the latex, I might get some more depth and correct the spine issues.   Any ideas?

Josh

Recent Posts