Update: I've had a DIY FBM (Foam by mail) mattress since September.
Nov 24, 2011 12:02 AM
Update to this thread:  http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/first-post-building-fbm-mattress-latex-memory-foam/25374-0-1.html

I can't believe I've had it this long.   Anyways, I received the foam in boxes, and in the boxes were some very tightly wrapped foam.  Without getting into too many details, the foam whooshed as I cut the plastic, and it expanded a lot.  It smelled bad, but not enough to bother me enough not to sleep on it that night.  

I went with this setup:

2inch 20ILD latex topper: $180

2inch 32ILD latex midlayer: $190

5inch HD36-R poly base: $120

The 20ILD and the 32ILD latex foam is nearly impossible to tell the difference.  I sat there squeezing each one and couldnt tell.  I folded them both in half, and squeezed the 4 inches and couldn't tell.  I think I found the softer one and put it on top.  I really have no idea.  

When I first got the mattress, the bottom 5 inch layer didn't fill the bed frame.  The top two layers were also wider.   After a week or so the bottom layer filled the frame snuggly (queen sized) and the top layers, while still larger, were a closer fit.

As for comfort - I found it to be a little firm for me.  The first week I had some pains but I knew to let my body get used to the bed, and it did.  I don't wake up with any pains, but I didn't before.  I am young and have a pretty healthy pain free body.   Like I said, it still felt too firm.  I slept in a pillowtop posturepedic before I moved, and slept it in again a month or so after I had my foam mattress.  The sealy is much softer and I sunk in a lot more.  The sinking feeling felt like a little bit too much now that I had the foam bed.  I really don't 'sink in' to my foam, but it isn't as firm as it sounds.  I just took a picture to see how straight my spine is, and it isn't.  I am 39 inches at my widest (hips) and 32 at my smallest (waist) and the difference causes some problems with spine alignment.  

One thing I do want to note:  Holy hell foam mattresses are a pain in the ass to put fitted sheets on.  Especially that 3 of my four corners are inaccessable.  

If there is anything else you guys want to know, ask away.

For now, I am thinking of picking up some lighter density cheap foam to put on top of the 5 inches of hd36.  I'm thinking if I put it under the latex, I might get some more depth and correct the spine issues.   Any ideas?

Josh

Re: Update: I've had a DIY FBM (Foam by mail) mattress since September.
Reply #7 Nov 26, 2011 1:13 PM
Thanks for the info, Josh.

Not sure I have any advice on what to try next. Before buying another layer of anything, though, maybe take a look at the picture you took and try to figure out whether having your whole body sink in more would help with both the alignment & firmness issues, or whether you might need to use some zoning (in the additional layer) to get your spine aligned. For instance, you might need something really soft under the shoulders but not as soft under the hips, or vice versa, depending on which way your spine is misaligned with your current setup.

This message was modified Nov 26, 2011 by Catherine
Reply #8 Nov 26, 2011 6:16 PM
I thought about zoning.  Sounds fantastic in theory, but I have a feeling it will be a pain to cut the foam.  Also, I don't know how big to make the zones.  I move around a lot and I don't think my hip is the same distance from the top and bottom at all points of the night.  
Reply #9 Nov 27, 2011 12:30 AM
jjswee wrote:

I thought about zoning.  Sounds fantastic in theory, but I have a feeling it will be a pain to cut the foam.  Also, I don't know how big to make the zones.  I move around a lot and I don't think my hip is the same distance from the top and bottom at all points of the night.  

I haven't tried zoning (yet), but I've pondered it a bit, and I'd think as long as the zonal boundary is somehere between your hips and your shoulders, you'll be ok.   That'll easily give you a foot to work with - surely that should be enough.

I think foam is pretty easy to cut; a heavy pair of kitchen-type scissors for 2" or maybe more, just a regular crosscut saw should work for thicker.   The thing that concerns me is getting the different pieces in the zones to fit togther flush, and not slip and create gaps; I suppose use of some kind of adhesive is the answer.

Reply #10 Nov 27, 2011 2:20 AM
Hi Josh:

It seem you have a little confuse of 20ILD and 32ILD latex,  if we ask you to check it with the machine, it must be a very big kidding for you.   Now I show you a simple skill to test

the difference between the two kind of latex.

In Chinese factory, worker test the quality of latex by hand.    When you knead the latex face for several time, here may drop down some latex dust. Then you see the the

difference of the dust, 32ILD latex dust must be bigger than 20ILD latex and more flextable than 20ILD latex. You can touch the feeling and stickness to see the difference between them.

For your DIY design mattress, I am confuse that how do u tight up the latex and foam together? In our coutry we alway with professional glue to connect them, and then with a

soft fabric topper, surounding by zipper.

But your mattress seem not very easy to fit them together. Anyway, you are a good desinger!

By Derick

Recent Posts