SleepEZ - Are swapped layers used?
Nov 9, 2010 6:51 PM
I have been reading with great interest the threads on this forum.  My wife and I are looking for a mattress for one of our sons (we have six kids) who has very bad allergies.  He is currently 8 years old and weighs around 70-75lbs.  We are going to put the mattress on a solid wood base of his bunk bed.  The bottom bunk is full and the top if twin.  We have an older "My First Sealy" twin on the top bunk.  The bottom bunk base is one ich thick planed plywood with a thick maple veneer.

I called SleepEz and spoke with Shawn after reading all of the glowing reviews.  He seems like a nice man.  The think that concerns me is that MANY people speak of being able to swap cores many months after they have been sleeping on them.  I am concerned that latex cores that we would receive could have been in someone elses home and contain allergens, etc.  I don't want to think about bodily fluids.  Either there is a HUGE margin in latex cores so that Shawn can dispose of returned cores or people are getting layers that have been used by someone else.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

As for the mattress itself, do you think a firm, medium core of the 7000 series would be a good choice?  I know he does not weigh much now, but we hope this mattress will last until he is ready to go to college.  His younger brother will eventually be sleeping in this bed as well.  He is currently only 19 months old so he has at least 6-9 months before he will also be sleeping on the latex mattress.

Would the 7000 series also be strong enough to support an adult?  I weigh around 200lbs and when we have bad storms the kids sometimes ask mom or dad to sleep in their room.  I really don't want to bottom out.  We can't afford much more than the 7000 series.  We want something without flame retardants, but we don't have a lot of money either.

We don't have any real latex mattress stores in Madison, WI that sell different layers.  I was able to try one lates mattress at Satara bedding ($3000) and while it seemed ok the price is insane.  The only other one I was able to try was an ecosleep latex bed that was not configurable.  It seemed a little too soft for my wife and I and somewhat bouncy.  Is that the way all Talalay is or was this just a soft bed?

One final question: Has anyone had a mattress that smells really strong?  I read a few reveiews on other sites where some people said the latex smell was overpowering.

Thank you to all in advance,
Matt

Recent Posts