SleepEZ 8500 - Dunlop or Talalay Blended 65/35?
Mar 10, 2008 5:59 PM
I've been lurking here for a while, and after weighing the positive and negative comments from various posters, and taking into account the money I have to spend, I've decided to buy SleepEz 8500 latex matresses for my mother and myself.

What's holding me back is the decision between Dunlop and Talalay Blended 65/35.  I've gotten the impression that Dunlop is more favored here, yet the guy I spoke to at SleepEz talked up the Talalay. (They're the same price, so the cost would be the same for me.)

I'm 5'10" and weigh 180-185 lbs and sleep on my side. I also sit in bed a lot reading and watching TV. I think medium (30-32 ILD) | firm (38-40 ILD) | extra firm (44 ILD) layers would probably be right for me, and since Dunlop has been favored on this forum, and is supposed to be good at those firmnesses, I'm leaning towards going with Dunlop.

My mother is 5'3", weighs 105 lbs, sleeps on her side, and is elderly. She's accustomed to sleeping on a 25-year-old "Sears-o-pedic Imperial Elite" that's almost entirely polyurethane (even the "box spring" is PU!). I was thinking that for her I might get something softer and hence get Talalay, but I read a post that said Dunlop is closer in feel to PU.

Any thoughts on whether the Dunlop latex would be preferable for the both of us?

Philly888

Re: SleepEZ 8500 - Dunlop or Talalay Blended 65/35?
Reply #1 Mar 10, 2008 10:39 PM
Philly888, I am not sure which is better but Dave had sent me a topper that was Dunlap processed and it was too firm for a topper for me. I would think Dunlap as a base layer may be good from what I have been reading.  I just wanted to tell you that I think the layers you chose sound like you will have firm support with a little bit of cushion with the medium on top. I like Talalay Latex only because I had that one bad experience with the Dunlap layer topper.  But I have not slept on latex cores that were Dunlap processed so I can't be of help.  Make sure you either buy the slat box or have a firm platform bed to put the latex on.
Reply #2 Mar 10, 2008 11:56 PM
Lynn2006 wrote:
Philly888, I am not sure which is better but Dave had sent me a topper that was Dunlap processed and it was too firm for a topper for me. I would think Dunlap as a base layer may be good from what I have been reading.  I just wanted to tell you that I think the layers you chose sound like you will have firm support with a little bit of cushion with the medium on top. I like Talalay Latex only because I had that one bad experience with the Dunlap layer topper.  But I have not slept on latex cores that were Dunlap processed so I can't be of help.  Make sure you either buy the slat box or have a firm platform bed to put the latex on.

For my Mom's bed I would definitely buy a base, probably the SmartBase, since she currently has a soft PU base. BTW, the SmartBase sold at http://www.everythingfurniture.com/bed-frames.html is a little less expensive than what it costs from SleepEZ. For my bed, since I have a firm box spring, I was thinking of maybe going with that, at least for a while.

The reason I'm leaning towards Dunlop is that after searching on "Talalay Dunlop" I found quite a few posts stating that Talalay can be a bit too bouncy; too "boingy" I think one person said. I don't want to sink like into memory foam, but I don't want too rubbery a feel either. And since my Mom now sleeps on PU and a poster said Dunlop latex feels a little more like PU (more "thud" than "boingy"), I favor Dunlop for us both. With respect to what you've said, I was told by whomever I spoke with at SleepEZ that Dunlop is OK for someone wanting firm rather than soft. Apparently with Talalay they have better control in getting the softer ILDs.

After re-reading some of the posts here, I'm now also a little concerned that  M 30-32 | F 38-40 | XF 44 could possibly be a little too firm. Maybe, since the top layer of the 8500 is only 1.4" instead of the 2.8" used in the SleepEZ 10,000, I could get that layer in soft. The 10,000's 2.8" of soft would probably be too soft, but the 8500's 1.4" might not. So I'm considering going: S 22-24 | M 30-32 | XF 44.

Or alternatively, maybe I should stick with my original M 30-32 | F 38-40 | XF 44 and add one of those 1" Brylane toppers if I decide I want a little extra softness. They're only $65 and I saw someone estimated the ILD as mid-20s. http://www.brylanehome.com/decor/Natura-Latex-Mattress-Topper.aspx?PfId=94697&DeptId=15326&producttypeid=1

*Sigh* This is a great forum, but the more I read, the further I seem to be from being ready to order.

Philly888

Reply #3 Mar 12, 2008 5:28 AM
If I had it to do over I would go with the Dunlop. For me Talalay was too pushy and jiggly. At the softer ILDs it never felt stable enough to provide adequate support. At the firmer ILDs it exerted so much pressure on my body I ached all over. This experience really surprised me having slept on Dunlop latex for many years prior to getting a Talalay bed, and having loved it. Dunlop will give you much better support at much softer ILDs. While I wouldn't go so far as to say it feels like PU foam--it's still rubber--like PU, it is passive rather than active in that it has a less demanding resilience to it. I found the SleepEZ 10,000 Talalay mattress in the medium/firm/xtra firm configuration to be so resilient it was painful. I would ask Shawn how that configuration would correspond to Dunlop.

You do get one comfort exchange with SleepEZ, so for you, try the firmer configuration first. Especially if you like sitting up in bed reading. For youR mom, I would definitely go with the Dunlop in the soft/medium/firm configuration. 24 ILD Dunlop should be plenty soft for a top layer yet still support someone of her weight, and the passive nature of Dunlop won't feel so radically different than the foam mattress she is sleeping on now like the Talalay would.

Good luck. 

Reply #4 Mar 13, 2008 11:49 PM
cloud9 wrote:
If I had it to do over I would go with the Dunlop. For me Talalay was too pushy and jiggly. At the softer ILDs it never felt stable enough to provide adequate support. At the firmer ILDs it exerted so much pressure on my body I ached all over. This experience really surprised me having slept on Dunlop latex for many years prior to getting a Talalay bed, and having loved it. Dunlop will give you much better support at much softer ILDs. While I wouldn't go so far as to say it feels like PU foam--it's still rubber--like PU, it is passive rather than active in that it has a less demanding resilience to it. I found the SleepEZ 10,000 Talalay mattress in the medium/firm/xtra firm configuration to be so resilient it was painful. I would ask Shawn how that configuration would correspond to Dunlop.

You do get one comfort exchange with SleepEZ, so for you, try the firmer configuration first. Especially if you like sitting up in bed reading. For youR mom, I would definitely go with the Dunlop in the soft/medium/firm configuration. 24 ILD Dunlop should be plenty soft for a top layer yet still support someone of her weight, and the passive nature of Dunlop won't feel so radically different than the foam mattress she is sleeping on now like the Talalay would.

Good luck. 

Thanks for the advice; I'm pretty sure now that I'll order the Dunlop. I'll get my mother a SleepEZ 8500 mattress first, and for her I'll get soft | medium | firm. That'll give me a chance to see what the soft layer feels like. Besides, my Mom needs it more - her Sears-o-pedic PU mattress is "hammocky" and I think it's bothering her arthritis.

My 18-year-old Simmons Beautyrest is digging into my back - I can feel the coils - but I can wait. I imagine that medium | firm | extra firm is probably correct for me.

Philly888

Reply #5 Mar 14, 2008 4:28 AM
Happy to help. Let us know how the SleepEZ Dunlop mattresses work out for you.
Reply #6 Mar 14, 2008 2:33 PM
cloud9 wrote:
Happy to help. Let us know how the SleepEZ Dunlop mattresses work out for you.

I ordered the SmartBase frame/foundation today. Got the best price at http://www.simplybeds.com/. Free shipping & free bracket and saved some more with a coupon code: http://www.couponcraze.com/coupons/simplybeds/

Philly888

Reply #7 Mar 14, 2008 5:40 PM
I went to SleepEz hoping to find a Dunlop layer and I couldn't find anything. I did see this statement: " We use only Talalay latex for all our mattresses and mattress toppers". Do you have to call them to special order Dunlop? Just curious! I wouldn't mind trying a 3" Dunlop "core" inside my mattress someday.

Philly888 wrote:
I've been lurking here for a while, and after weighing the positive and negative comments from various posters, and taking into account the money I have to spend, I've decided to buy SleepEz 8500 latex matresses for my mother and myself.</p><p>What's holding me back is the decision between Dunlop and Talalay Blended 65/35.  I've gotten the impression that Dunlop is more favored here, yet the guy I spoke to at SleepEz talked up the Talalay. (They're the same price, so the cost would be the same for me.)</p><p>I'm 5'10&quot; and weigh 180-185 lbs and sleep on my side. I also sit in bed a lot reading and watching TV. I think medium (30-32 ILD) | firm (38-40 ILD) | extra firm (44 ILD) layers would probably be right for me, and since Dunlop has been favored on this forum, and is supposed to be good at those firmnesses, I'm leaning towards going with Dunlop.</p><p>My mother is 5'3&quot;, weighs 105 lbs, sleeps on her side, and is elderly. She's accustomed to sleeping on a 25-year-old &quot;Sears-o-pedic Imperial Elite&quot; that's almost entirely polyurethane (even the &quot;box spring&quot; is PU!). I was thinking that for her I might get something softer and hence get Talalay, but I read a post that said Dunlop is closer in feel to PU.</p><p>Any thoughts on whether the Dunlop latex would be preferable for the both of us?</p><p>Philly888
Reply #8 Mar 15, 2008 2:02 PM
Word of warning, make sure you want this latex mattress.  Trust me, its a nightmare to re-wrap back into the boxes.  I still can't get the layers back in and it may cost me more than I was told (Fedex estimates are $160 and NOT the $100 to send it all back as I had been told).
This message was modified Mar 15, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #9 Mar 15, 2008 4:16 PM
I've decided IF I ever want to try 3" of Dunlop, I'll just ask my mattress guy if he can order it. As of now, though, I've been remarkably comfortable on my mattress, so I'll wait.

Recent Posts