Serta Perfect Day or Aireloom The Preffered or what?
Dec 24, 2007 4:17 PM
I am new to this Forum and this is probably an open ended Question, I need to buy a new Mattress and kinda lost.

I didnt look at Seally since that one i own (which cost me 1100 in 2002) now has a DIP in it (I do blame myself since i am a big guy) anyway I went to a serta store and had a look at their perfect day (Uplifting) and had a talk with the owner and he gave me a price that cant even be matched by online retailers. I tried to checkout other local stores and came accress a brand called aireloom which is hand stiched and feels even better than the perfect day (the one i liked was called the preffered and it is the top of the line mattress they have, the store sells it for 5999 I looked arround i found it for 4900 which is double the price of the perfect day. btw it looks like the same one being sold by macys.com for 18,000).

I cant find reviews of feedbacks on them, I had some sales people telling me I shouldnt even compair the serta to the aireleoom since "its like compairing a Ferrari to a Toyota".

is the aireloom really that good? What else should I check out?  What is the best in terms of materials used and expected life? (the aireleoom say they offer a  20 years Garanty"

Thanks

Re: Serta Perfect Day or Aireloom The Preffered or what?
Reply #1 Dec 24, 2007 6:42 PM
The general consensus is the big brands have lowered the quality on their mattresses and what used to last 10 years lasts less than 2.  Oh, and don't expect to get satisifaction from the warranty, it has been written in their favor.  The Aireloom isn't mentioned as much, but I've read raves and complaints while searching the forum archives. 

I suggest you search this forum and archives http://legacy.whatsthebest-mattress.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?action=search be sure to choose 'all posts' in the "This post was made in the last..." drop down box.

Reply #2 Dec 24, 2007 11:44 PM
Thanks for the info, i looked into it and there isnt much of a review on the preferred, it is more expensive than the rip van winckle and some mentioned that they plan to add a latex top to it, the preffered actually has a top that is made ofr the following:

5# wool, 1.5" pilllow flex foam, convoluted foam, 2" Talay latex + 8# cotton. thickness is 17.5" (not sure if this will make it harder for me when looking for fitted sheets).

what else is a good mattress. 

Reply #3 Dec 25, 2007 10:30 AM
NanoGT3 wrote:
Thanks for the info, i looked into it and there isnt much of a review on the preferred, it is more expensive than the rip van winckle and some mentioned that they plan to add a latex top to it, the preffered actually has a top that is made ofr the following:

5# wool, 1.5" pilllow flex foam, convoluted foam, 2" Talay latex + 8# cotton. thickness is 17.5" (not sure if this will make it harder for me when looking for fitted sheets).

what else is a good mattress. 

I guess the question is how long the pillow flex and convoluted foam will hold up.  I believe the general consensus is that polyurethane (PU) foams with a density of >2.2 PCF is OK, and <2 PCF can breakdown quickly.

Many of us here prefer a 100% latex mattress as made from forum sponser FloBeds, Sleep EZ, and perhaps other sources.  The downside is not having the ability to test the mattress in a showroom.  The upside is the ability to tweak the firmness to fit your needs.

Reply #4 Dec 27, 2007 12:58 PM
We just retired our Aireloom Rip Van Winkle Euro top mattress. It had a wool top on one side and a silk top on the other side. After 10 years, the body impressions were there to stay and the bed became not-so-comfortable. The mattress was hand stitched, and the box spring was 8-way hand-tied, so the construction was good. I think if it had not had a Euro top, we'd still be sleeping on it.

As many in this forum have discovered, comfort tops eventually break down, even though the mattresses underneath are still in good condition. Many here have bought various comfort tops made of down, wool, horsehair, latex, and/or foam to put over unadorned mattresses and are very happy with them. You can always change out a worn out topper later, while keeping your mattress.

We have been sleeping on our new Hastens 2000T for almost two weeks, and are enjoying it very much. It has a separate horsehair, wool and cotton topper which should be replaced every 5-7 years or so, but the mattress should last much, much longer.

Reply #5 Feb 15, 2010 8:16 PM
You can look at what is inside some of the Serta Perfect Day at US-mattress.   Personally, I find them pretty scary because of all of the non-latex foams they use inside.   I would not have much confidence that they would last.  Not sure if the model you are looking at is similiar to the ones availabe at US mattress.

The Aireloom does look like they use much better materials.  So, I think you have a better chance of it lasting, especially if you buy a model that does not have much non-latex foam.

Personally, I bought a Sealy for just the springs and customized it with my own layers of latex and wool.  Definitely much cheaper than the Aireloom and customized to my taste.  However, it lacks some of the high end features you will get in the Aireloom.

This message was modified Feb 16, 2010 by sandman
Reply #6 Feb 16, 2010 11:36 AM
A Hastens....how much did you pay for that bed? It is suppose to be the real deal!!

Alice

far better than a serta.............:)

Reply #7 Feb 16, 2010 2:30 PM
IMO the best coil mattresses are built with the idea of not having the largest spec sheets and including many different kinds of materials.  it should be about the EXCLUSION of certain materials. 

obviously this Aireloom in question is a much better build quality and uses far better materials than a perfect day overall, however everything I have read about their mattresses makes me think they are really selling at this price point because of their name and reputation, not from the quality of the materials used.  A bed @ the $4000 and up range (if not a Tempur-Pedic) really has no business using polyurethane foam of any kind in the construction.  There are beds for less money than this that are of similar build quality and do not use polyurethane in any amount. 

I believe that these guys are still using some polyurethane because it makes the mattress significantly softer than just cotton and wool batting alone would do (both of these materials are pretty firm if they are tufted down properly).  So the beds do feel fantastic, but will still change significantly after break in. 
Reply #8 Feb 16, 2010 3:20 PM
First of all, surely an Airelooom would have to be of higher quality than a Serta, which is considered by many to be the bottom of the barrel of S company mattresses.
However, as Budgy mentioned, there are other brands that are probably better than Aireloom for a better price. Budgy mentioned one mattress he thought was better in another thread. If you ask him he may tell you that one (though not sure if it was in your price range.)

You could always buy the lowest priced mattress you can find with good springs, and replace the foam inside, with latex, as I and others have done. Seems to work for most people who try it. Oh, and you can build a king like this for probably $800 with pure latex over springs.

Recent Posts