Serta iComfort Revolution memory foam set - my experience
Jul 15, 2011 3:40 PM
I just wanted to start another thread because there are some claims in the 'request for advice' thread that I have not found to be the case.

My iComfort Revolution is on the matching box spring, not adjustable base. I've tried the Revolution in 3 Sears stores for quite some time before purchasing.  Mine feels virtually the same as all 3 in the stores.

The Revolution is not a 'firm' bed.  Even Serta lists it as a Plush.  It is a very plush bed with quite of bit of give in the top layers of memory foam.

There were some comments of a 'strong odor' coming from new iComforts.  I can tell you for sure, there is no strong odor whatsoever from mine.  I smelled the slightest whisp of smell from the mattress, I think.  It's that faint. Less than two days after getting it, I cannot smell a thing from it.

As for 'sleeping hot' issues.  I have slept 2 nights in the bed.  I've been wearing shorts with sheet and comforter in the bed.  The house is about  65 at night.  I'm not too hot in the bed (edit - see below).  It might be a little warmer than the S&F conventional I just had, but I do mean only a little.

Only time will tell about durability - whether or not the foam keeps its support, but so far, the support is fine.

There was a claim that iComfort had something to do with Sleep Innovations.  Although it may use a similar foam to a Costco/Novaform/Sleep Innovations product, the iComfort law tag states the mattress is mfrd. by Serta in Moreno Valley, CA.

This message was modified Jul 19, 2011 by slpngoc
Re: Serta iComfort Revolution memory foam set - my experience
Reply #38 Aug 12, 2011 1:07 AM
The whole deep discounting thing was not always this way. Customers didn't ask for the industry to run this way, the retailers created the expectation that people should get 50% off on everything by illegitimately marking up prices only to mark them down and 'save' people a lot of money.  I agree people sometimes want to much and expect too much, but as the old saying goes, you give someone an inch, they will want a mile.

The problem with opinions on how things work is that even though people feel they have a right to their opinions, they do not have the right to express them without criticism.  If they feel they have the right to say them that is okay, but we also have to accept the fact that with expressing opinions (especially in a discussion forum) it will also inevitably open up those opinions to criticism and or praise.  I am sorry if i upset you in anyway, however it is a well known fact that perspiring is how we cool our selves off, there is a reason the humidex plays a big role in how hot we 'feel', this is the same in the bedroom.  When humidity levels become high, perspiring becomes useless as the air is already saturated.  There probably is a modicum of truth about circulation or even just being on a soft mattress that has more contact with the body will make someone feel cosier.  I repeatedly bring this up because perhaps the OP would not have had an issue with heat if they had a woolen mattress protector instead of a plastic one.  However this is a moot point as clearly it is not supportive enough for them anyway and the mattress will only get softer with use. 

This is not an internet tough guy match, but you are the one spouting your credentials and you quite literally said "I'm just like you, but with a bit more mattress knowledge and a better discount!! "  If it feels like a yelling match maybe its because you use a lot of exclimation points.  No one is attacking you, but clearly you did something to make others feel defensive.

You are extremely wrong to assume that you have more mattress knowledge than posters on this forum.  The vast majority of posters here are on the consumer front but their are a lot of bright people here who know far more than the average consumer and the average salesperson.

Reply #39 Aug 12, 2011 6:25 AM
I'm sorry Mr. A, but your first two posts were so much like an advertisement that I immediately had no interest in hearing anything else you had to contribute.  Your bias was obvious. While I know that budgy is in the mattress business, he brings to this forum facts and wisdom learned over the years.  I have no idea what mattresses he sells or what he sleeps on. Mattress comfort is very subjective and budgy does an excellent job trying to help match people to a style of mattress that might work best for their stated needs.  He rarely says "THIS ONE THIS ONE BUY IT" like you have done.  If you just shut up and read, you could learn a lot that might actually help you become an informed mattress salesman.  
Reply #40 Aug 12, 2011 12:53 PM
Budgy, Wee, 

As to Audio, I read Audio's original post.  To his defense, I don't see too much out of line.  except I disagree one sleeps hot 3 weeks due increased circulation. That iComfort was having me hotter for good, but I was sunk pretty far into it.

Sounds to me like he's into mattresses like any enthused new salesperson would be.  I agree with his opinions comparing iComfort and TP's.  I also appreciated his suggestion for an adjustable bed as I've checked those out too.

Can't say I would want to be in mattress sales getting beaten up on price and priviledges.   I've seen customers walk into Sleep Train here and start beating on a salesperson for 1/2 off the posted price.  It must be brutal.  Especially the long hours one must be at the store and it is very slow.  I've met a lot of nice local mattress salespeople.  Some of them seem misinformed, but some salespeople don't care too awfully much about technical details. 

audioinjection wrote:

I just wanted to respond to a few of the original posters issues, but first I should mention a bit about my background.

I am in mattress sales.  Only for about 5 months, but I have learned quite a bit in that time.  I work for a nice local company, and am not high-pressure etc.  I also just received MY iComfort Revolution today.  Can't wait to sleep on it, and I'll probably report back to let you know how it's going. 

I mainly wanted to respond to a few points that were brought up throughout this entire thread.....

Heat:  With aTempurpedic/iComfort you WILL SLEEP HOT for approx 3 weeks or so.  This is due to the severe increase in bloodflow/ciculation due to the pressure relief (in men, mainly in the shoulder areas).  That said, your body should adjust after that period.  I have yet to have an iComfort OR Tempurpedic returned for heat.  Tempurpedic reports only 4% of returns due to heat, and only 3% within our company.  Beds in general will be returned for heat issues at about 10%.

BUT, I have heard from a salesperson in our company that he wishes he had went with an icomfort over his cloud supreme because it is slightly hot.  I won't be able to compare, because I've never owned a tempurpedic.

iComfort mattresses "cool" you with their gel-infused memory foam, or so they claim.  Tempurpedic uses an "airflow" system, and also claims that their tempur material cell-structure is more uniform, thus allowing more air to flow through.  I think both are bs.

A wool or latex topper could help perhaps.  Wool may cool you slightly, while a latex topper may help cool AND provide some additional support.  The iComfort Prodigy has this, and sounds like it would have been a better choice for the OP in this case.  But you don't know until you try.

Firmness:  The info given above is correct.  The Revolution compares most closely to the Cloud Luxe.  The Supreme is a bit more firm than both.  The Genius is the most firm, and the Insight is the "medium" firmness.   HD Rhapsody is different, and a bit more firm than Rev/Clouds.  May have been a better choice for OP, but hindsight is 20/20.  Also, the brand new tempurpedic Countour series (which replaces the classic and deluxe) may be a good middle ground of softness/support.

Possible Solutions for backpain:  OP was good to try some diff pillows.  It's all about proper spinal alignment for your particular sleeping habits.  I may need a thinner pillow for my new revolution since it is rathar "plush".  Our bodies are all different, but getting that spine as straight as possible with mattress AND pillow ensures that your muscles can relax properly.

As mentioned, a latex topper may give you the support you need PLUS cool you down.  It MAY be the cheapest fix.  Or you need a more firm mattress. 

Also, an adjustable base would probably work also, but it more expensive.  OP have you tried an adjustable base?  It can really work wonders for back pain.  It may be your missing puzzle-piece, and why virtually NO MATTRESS has worked for you yet.

Returns:  I can understand the company sticking you with that mattress.  As much as I appreciate the thorough play-by-play on your mattress, in my sales experience.....you may NEVER find the perfect mattress.  Usually anyone "over-thinking" their issues this much is destined to endure an endless hunt for "perfection" which doesn't exist.  Perhaps more excersize and stretching on a regular basis is the real answer, yet the mattress will always take the blame.  I hope this isn't the case with you.  Your review seemed much more "informative" than "neurotic" in my opinion.  Regardless, the company only has so much "room" built into their retail markup to allow for returns, which is why they have a specific policy, and ALSO why the mattress "game" is so shady!  Customers want low prices, free delivery and unlimited exchanges, yet complain when they find out how much their mattress was marked up from the get-go.  Nothing is free, and you always get what you pay for. 

I hope this may have helped a bit.  I don't intend to frequent this formu, but perhaps I'll give some feedback on my revolution experience over the next few weeks.  I'm pretty sure I'll love it.  My old mattress sucked.

This message was modified Aug 12, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #41 Aug 12, 2011 3:02 PM
"So customers want quality.  Low prices.  Durability.  Made in America.  Huge warranties.  Green products/manufacturing.  Free delivery (yeah, we'll pay 2 guys $13 per hour to bring it to your home" 

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm really not that demanding at all. All I expected was a comfortable product that would hold up longer than 5 weeks, after I paid nearly $1200 for  it. It did not, and all the cozy friendliness of the salesman changed drastically when I went to return it. They tried to talk me out of exchanging it, and insisted I didn't know what I knew and saw with my own eyes, namely that this very expensive bed was sagging in the middle.

I also resented the scripted replies, which all the salesmen were obviously ordered to spout, "Oh we all have that bed and we love it".  Nods all around. I sent my sister-in-law in to look at another type of bed, and surprise! Suddenly all the SAME sales people owned THAT brand and loved it. Did they all change beds overnight?  I know people have to sell things, and may fudge or fluff a bit (or a lot) but boldfaced lying and deception is another matter. It's insulting to be perceived as an idiot.

I really doubt anyone would buy any other type of $1200 item (big screen TV, etc) then just swallow it when the item stops working after 5 weeks. I doubt anyone would tolerate having a repairman sent who tells you, "Well, the TV only stops working a few times a day, so the problem is not severe enough for us  to honour our warranty and we won't give you a refund either. Tough luck, right?".

I don't mind paying whatever price for a quality item, after all, you get what you pay for. It's NOT getting what I paid for that irked me. And yes, I did expect free delivery of such a pricey item that was 15 minutes from my home. The exchange bed cost me $50 delivery, so I got nothing free.

Reply #42 Aug 12, 2011 4:36 PM
Anyway, to get back onto what really matters.... slpngoc - heres hoping that you have a better experience with your latex mattress :)  

I think lots of people are looking forward to seeing your feedback over the coming weeks.

Reply #43 Aug 12, 2011 4:48 PM
budgy wrote:

Anyway, to get back onto what really matters.... slpngoc - heres hoping that you have a better experience with your latex mattress :)  

I think lots of people are looking forward to seeing your feedback over the coming weeks.

Thank you.  I'll do my best.  And I can assure you I'm just a regular guy.  No employment with any mattress business.  Nor anyone in our family.

Reply #44 Aug 12, 2011 5:00 PM
budgy wrote:

btw, did you see thread how I measured 5.75" of memory foam within iComfort Revolution? 

I have photos of the Sears / iComfort ad board that clearly states  2.75" gel , 2" Kool memory foam, that's 4.75"

Maybe nobody cares, cause feel matters, but it struck me funny.

Reply #45 Aug 12, 2011 5:28 PM
slpngoc wrote:

btw, did you see thread how I measured 5.75" of memory foam within iComfort Revolution? 

I have photos of the Sears / iComfort ad board that clearly states  2.75" gel , 2" Kool memory foam, that's 4.75"

Maybe nobody cares, cause feel matters, but it struck me funny.

Yeah I did notice that, not sure why that is....is there supposed to be any latex in the Revolution? What is the next model above it supposed to be and total height?  

If you think about it the GrandBed from Tempur has like 7.2" total memory foam....so maybe it isn't the quantity that is the issue...I have yet to see a density rating on the icomforts though...if we really think about it, the total depth of memory foam doesn't really tell us how much material there is, its the total mass of the material that effects the price the most, and the density effects the performance of the material the most as the density determines how easily you sink into the mattress based on body weight vs body heat. 

Reply #46 Aug 12, 2011 5:45 PM
budgy wrote:

Yeah I did notice that, not sure why that is....is there supposed to be any latex in the Revolution? What is the next model above it supposed to be and total height?  

If you think about it the GrandBed from Tempur has like 7.2" total memory foam....so maybe it isn't the quantity that is the issue...I have yet to see a density rating on the icomforts though...if we really think about it, the total depth of memory foam doesn't really tell us how much material there is, its the total mass of the material that effects the price the most, and the density effects the performance of the material the most as the density determines how easily you sink into the mattress based on body weight vs body heat. 

No latex in Revolution. Prodigy gets the latex, probly 1".  All four must have 6" regular PU cores + 2.75, 4.75, 5.75, 6.75 other layers , Insight to Prodigy.

The feel of the Revolution was very consistent over four weeks. 

Reply #47 Aug 17, 2011 2:28 PM
iComfort mattress is so cheesy, get this

the freakin' law tag is not even sewn into the cover of the mattress ... it is stuck like a Post-It onto a tag that is sewn into the cover of the mattress. IOW, anyone (mfr. , retailer, whoever) could peel off the law tag, stick on another.

I have a photo of it if anyone is that curious.

Isn't actual law tag supposed to be sewn into the mattress cover?

This message was modified Aug 17, 2011 by slpngoc

Recent Posts