Serta iComfort Revolution memory foam set - my experience
Jul 15, 2011 3:40 PM
I just wanted to start another thread because there are some claims in the 'request for advice' thread that I have not found to be the case.

My iComfort Revolution is on the matching box spring, not adjustable base. I've tried the Revolution in 3 Sears stores for quite some time before purchasing.  Mine feels virtually the same as all 3 in the stores.

The Revolution is not a 'firm' bed.  Even Serta lists it as a Plush.  It is a very plush bed with quite of bit of give in the top layers of memory foam.

There were some comments of a 'strong odor' coming from new iComforts.  I can tell you for sure, there is no strong odor whatsoever from mine.  I smelled the slightest whisp of smell from the mattress, I think.  It's that faint. Less than two days after getting it, I cannot smell a thing from it.

As for 'sleeping hot' issues.  I have slept 2 nights in the bed.  I've been wearing shorts with sheet and comforter in the bed.  The house is about  65 at night.  I'm not too hot in the bed (edit - see below).  It might be a little warmer than the S&F conventional I just had, but I do mean only a little.

Only time will tell about durability - whether or not the foam keeps its support, but so far, the support is fine.

There was a claim that iComfort had something to do with Sleep Innovations.  Although it may use a similar foam to a Costco/Novaform/Sleep Innovations product, the iComfort law tag states the mattress is mfrd. by Serta in Moreno Valley, CA.

This message was modified Jul 19, 2011 by slpngoc
Re: Serta iComfort Revolution memory foam set - my experience
Reply #18 Jul 29, 2011 11:12 AM
Well, it has been 3 weeks since this Revolution bed arrived.  It is not going well.  The support is not enough.  My lower back does not hurt, but my neck is stiffer and makes noise when I turn my head side to side.  I've tried a few good pillows, but I doubt that is the problem.

When I sit on the Revolution bed, my butt sinks in quite a lot.  If I put a pillow under my knees when laying on my back, the pillow sinks in somewhat.  When I lay on my back, my butt sinks in a fair amount.  My hips sink in quite a bit when laying on my side....

this bed is just tooo plush!  Too soft.  Sure, it's comfortable and easy on the joints, even after 8 hours in it, but it is too soft.

So, like I said in another post, be very careful picking out this mattress unless you can handle really soft mattresses.  I would think this must be what a pillow top is like when it is already worn out.  So, I got a 'worn out' new mattress. 

This message was modified Aug 2, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #19 Aug 2, 2011 9:24 PM
I bought another Tempurpedic pillow, a Suprima to try with this Revolution mattress.  The Suprima queen pillow is only 4" height which hopefully will work better with this ultra plush Revolution mattress.  I had been using the Symphony pillow which is 5.5" high.

My upper back and neck have been a little out of whack with this mattress.  If it doesn't work out soon, I'll have to buy another mattress or set.

This message was modified Aug 2, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #20 Aug 3, 2011 11:42 AM
So I slept on the Revolution with 4" tall Suprima Tempurpedic pillow. My neck is still making about the same noise this morning - sound of tissue rubbing when I turn head side to side. 

Also, when I woke up slightly when turning over, I could feel the excess heat under my body.  How does the heat get whisked away when there is no airflow system of convoluted foam beneath the memory foam like in Tempurpedic?

Reply #21 Aug 3, 2011 12:07 PM
slpngoc wrote:

So I slept on the Revolution with 4" tall Suprima Tempurpedic pillow. My neck is still making about the same noise this morning - sound of tissue rubbing when I turn head side to side. 

Also, when I woke up slightly when turning over, I could feel the excess heat under my body.  How does the heat get whisked away when there is no airflow system of convoluted foam beneath the memory foam like in Tempurpedic?

A wool mattress cover would probably help deal with the heat-buildup issue....

Reply #22 Aug 5, 2011 7:46 PM
I just wanted to respond to a few of the original posters issues, but first I should mention a bit about my background.

I am in mattress sales.  Only for about 5 months, but I have learned quite a bit in that time.  I work for a nice local company, and am not high-pressure etc.  I also just received MY iComfort Revolution today.  Can't wait to sleep on it, and I'll probably report back to let you know how it's going. 

I mainly wanted to respond to a few points that were brought up throughout this entire thread.....

Heat:  With aTempurpedic/iComfort you WILL SLEEP HOT for approx 3 weeks or so.  This is due to the severe increase in bloodflow/ciculation due to the pressure relief (in men, mainly in the shoulder areas).  That said, your body should adjust after that period.  I have yet to have an iComfort OR Tempurpedic returned for heat.  Tempurpedic reports only 4% of returns due to heat, and only 3% within our company.  Beds in general will be returned for heat issues at about 10%.

BUT, I have heard from a salesperson in our company that he wishes he had went with an icomfort over his cloud supreme because it is slightly hot.  I won't be able to compare, because I've never owned a tempurpedic.

iComfort mattresses "cool" you with their gel-infused memory foam, or so they claim.  Tempurpedic uses an "airflow" system, and also claims that their tempur material cell-structure is more uniform, thus allowing more air to flow through.  I think both are bs.

A wool or latex topper could help perhaps.  Wool may cool you slightly, while a latex topper may help cool AND provide some additional support.  The iComfort Prodigy has this, and sounds like it would have been a better choice for the OP in this case.  But you don't know until you try.

Firmness:  The info given above is correct.  The Revolution compares most closely to the Cloud Luxe.  The Supreme is a bit more firm than both.  The Genius is the most firm, and the Insight is the "medium" firmness.   HD Rhapsody is different, and a bit more firm than Rev/Clouds.  May have been a better choice for OP, but hindsight is 20/20.  Also, the brand new tempurpedic Countour series (which replaces the classic and deluxe) may be a good middle ground of softness/support.

Possible Solutions for backpain:  OP was good to try some diff pillows.  It's all about proper spinal alignment for your particular sleeping habits.  I may need a thinner pillow for my new revolution since it is rathar "plush".  Our bodies are all different, but getting that spine as straight as possible with mattress AND pillow ensures that your muscles can relax properly.

As mentioned, a latex topper may give you the support you need PLUS cool you down.  It MAY be the cheapest fix.  Or you need a more firm mattress. 

Also, an adjustable base would probably work also, but it more expensive.  OP have you tried an adjustable base?  It can really work wonders for back pain.  It may be your missing puzzle-piece, and why virtually NO MATTRESS has worked for you yet.

Returns:  I can understand the company sticking you with that mattress.  As much as I appreciate the thorough play-by-play on your mattress, in my sales experience.....you may NEVER find the perfect mattress.  Usually anyone "over-thinking" their issues this much is destined to endure an endless hunt for "perfection" which doesn't exist.  Perhaps more excersize and stretching on a regular basis is the real answer, yet the mattress will always take the blame.  I hope this isn't the case with you.  Your review seemed much more "informative" than "neurotic" in my opinion.  Regardless, the company only has so much "room" built into their retail markup to allow for returns, which is why they have a specific policy, and ALSO why the mattress "game" is so shady!  Customers want low prices, free delivery and unlimited exchanges, yet complain when they find out how much their mattress was marked up from the get-go.  Nothing is free, and you always get what you pay for. 

I hope this may have helped a bit.  I don't intend to frequent this formu, but perhaps I'll give some feedback on my revolution experience over the next few weeks.  I'm pretty sure I'll love it.  My old mattress sucked.

Reply #23 Aug 5, 2011 10:35 PM
Thanks for the post above.  Couple days ago I realized my err in thinking it would be possible to do an exchange and then a possible refund on that exchanged unit.  If that were possible, many more people would be taking advantage of that.  So, basically, I had wishful thinking that was loosely confirmed by a couple Sears sales associates.

About the adjustable bed bases .. I would love to try one at home.  I've tried them in the stores several times and they're fantastic!

About the beds I've tried recently - I'm being extra picky this time around.  I know no bed is perfect and nothing guarantees a perfect nites sleep.  But, basically, I've had

1) a basic open coil low end mattress with 2" ordinary HD foam topper

2) entry level Stearns and Foster with 4" or ordinary foam in comfort and quilt layers

3) iComfort Revolution that is very plush.  I'm trying to make it work.  If it doesn't, it's already paid for and I can afford to get another mattress set.

Reply #24 Aug 6, 2011 12:20 PM
I'm giving up on this bed.  3 1/2 weeks, neck stiff and makes noise every morning.  Pressure relieving on joints, that's the only plus.  Inadeqaute support, sink in too much. 

Leave it to Serta to make this lineup go from Insight to Prodigy as medium, firm, ultra plush and plush.  I found the same thing with the Vera Wang latex collection.  Serta is off the mark, IMO.

Reply #25 Aug 6, 2011 12:37 PM
audioinjection wrote:

I just wanted to respond to a few of the original posters issues, but first I should mention a bit about my background.

I am in mattress sales.  Only for about 5 months, but I have learned quite a bit in that time.  I work for a nice local company, and am not high-pressure etc.  I also just received MY iComfort Revolution today.  Can't wait to sleep on it, and I'll probably report back to let you know how it's going. 

I mainly wanted to respond to a few points that were brought up throughout this entire thread.....

Heat:  With aTempurpedic/iComfort you WILL SLEEP HOT for approx 3 weeks or so.  This is due to the severe increase in bloodflow/ciculation due to the pressure relief (in men, mainly in the shoulder areas).  That said, your body should adjust after that period.  I have yet to have an iComfort OR Tempurpedic returned for heat.  Tempurpedic reports only 4% of returns due to heat, and only 3% within our company.  Beds in general will be returned for heat issues at about 10%.

BUT, I have heard from a salesperson in our company that he wishes he had went with an icomfort over his cloud supreme because it is slightly hot.  I won't be able to compare, because I've never owned a tempurpedic.

iComfort mattresses "cool" you with their gel-infused memory foam, or so they claim.  Tempurpedic uses an "airflow" system, and also claims that their tempur material cell-structure is more uniform, thus allowing more air to flow through.  I think both are bs.

A wool or latex topper could help perhaps.  Wool may cool you slightly, while a latex topper may help cool AND provide some additional support.  The iComfort Prodigy has this, and sounds like it would have been a better choice for the OP in this case.  But you don't know until you try.

Firmness:  The info given above is correct.  The Revolution compares most closely to the Cloud Luxe.  The Supreme is a bit more firm than both.  The Genius is the most firm, and the Insight is the "medium" firmness.   HD Rhapsody is different, and a bit more firm than Rev/Clouds.  May have been a better choice for OP, but hindsight is 20/20.  Also, the brand new tempurpedic Countour series (which replaces the classic and deluxe) may be a good middle ground of softness/support.

Possible Solutions for backpain:  OP was good to try some diff pillows.  It's all about proper spinal alignment for your particular sleeping habits.  I may need a thinner pillow for my new revolution since it is rathar "plush".  Our bodies are all different, but getting that spine as straight as possible with mattress AND pillow ensures that your muscles can relax properly.

As mentioned, a latex topper may give you the support you need PLUS cool you down.  It MAY be the cheapest fix.  Or you need a more firm mattress. 

Also, an adjustable base would probably work also, but it more expensive.  OP have you tried an adjustable base?  It can really work wonders for back pain.  It may be your missing puzzle-piece, and why virtually NO MATTRESS has worked for you yet.

Returns:  I can understand the company sticking you with that mattress.  As much as I appreciate the thorough play-by-play on your mattress, in my sales experience.....you may NEVER find the perfect mattress.  Usually anyone "over-thinking" their issues this much is destined to endure an endless hunt for "perfection" which doesn't exist.  Perhaps more excersize and stretching on a regular basis is the real answer, yet the mattress will always take the blame.  I hope this isn't the case with you.  Your review seemed much more "informative" than "neurotic" in my opinion.  Regardless, the company only has so much "room" built into their retail markup to allow for returns, which is why they have a specific policy, and ALSO why the mattress "game" is so shady!  Customers want low prices, free delivery and unlimited exchanges, yet complain when they find out how much their mattress was marked up from the get-go.  Nothing is free, and you always get what you pay for. 

I hope this may have helped a bit.  I don't intend to frequent this formu, but perhaps I'll give some feedback on my revolution experience over the next few weeks.  I'm pretty sure I'll love it.  My old mattress sucked.

A couple of comments on your comments. I do appreciate folks from the industry chiming in. I especially hope some of you insiders will help resolve some of the serious problems affecting us poor sucker consumers.

Quote: "With aTempurpedic/iComfort you WILL SLEEP HOT for approx 3 weeks or so.  This is due to the severe increase in bloodflow/ciculation due to the pressure relief (in men, mainly in the shoulder areas)." This does not seem to make sense. Pressure relief does not create heat due to increase in bloodflow/circulation,. Heat is due to lack of circulation. Think about when areas get hot due to swelling or inflamation. The blood goes to that area and stays there, and builds up there, to bring white blood cells in and fight the infection or injury. That is what causes heat - retention, not circulation.

The real problem with these gels and synthetic foams is they are not porous enough to allow for air flow and the areas that sink in especially get hot because of lack of air flow and circulation. Plain and simple. Those that worked some way around it, with air tunnels and passageways are more effective at releasing the heat and perspiration buildup. But the materials themselves do not absorb moisture released by the numan body during sleep. It runs off and builds up if there is nowhere to go.

As to "overthinking," how about the industry takes a good hard look at the "overspending" that is required to even test one of these mattresses in field conditions over enough time to know whether or not there are problems?

I agree, there is no good way of handling the need to return and exchange used mattresses.

The only solution is for mattress manufacturers and distributors is to start taking consumer complaints seriously, and create better products to resolve the real problems.

Reply #26 Aug 6, 2011 8:07 PM
""With aTempurpedic/iComfort you WILL SLEEP HOT for approx 3 weeks or so.  This is due to the severe increase in bloodflow/ciculation due to the pressure relief (in men, mainly in the shoulder areas)."

I agree that nothing about this statement makes sense. I would like to know the source for such a claim please.

Reply #27 Aug 9, 2011 10:48 PM
Was in our local Mancini's getting a mattress bag this evening.  Mgr. said they are getting the 'new' line of iComforts this Fall. So, whoever buys now is getting the 'first year model' of iComforts....

edit - I talked to Serta this morning.  Lady denied there is an all new line of iComforts coming this Fall.  Seems the Mancini's mgr. is mistaken.

This message was modified Aug 11, 2011 by slpngoc

Recent Posts