Sealy Truform bed misery
May 3, 2008 7:50 PM
I have been reading all the posts with interest.  I have a Sealy Truform 11" bed for 2 years now.  The first part of the first year I really liked it, then the honeymoon was over pain in my hips, and sleepless nights.  So I have tried a really nice featherbed that worked for almost 2 months, then it started breaking down, I fluff it every single night, but after laying on it once it flattens and the polyurethane is very hard and hurts my hips.  I do have bursitis from a ski injury, and now my good side (pain free one) is now painful as the other one.  I did flip the bed over (so the memory foam in underneath now) and tried to build something over that.

I wasted almost $200 on an Ikea topper, that they do not take returns on.  The floor sample has fiberfill loose and was better than the model I got that was sewn in and very firm.  Anyway, I took the 1" or so foam that was inside and put that on the bed, and of course that was no help.  I am going to try the latex, but unfortunately all that is left is twin size.  I am pretty certain at this point that this bed is hopeless to top with anything!

Does anyone have this bed?  And if so have you found a solution?  I have tried other spring beds and as you all know they are not well made anymore and they last one year at best.

The PU foam is 2.15 lb density and 30 lb ILB (according to the spec sheet for Sealy truform).  These numbers mean nothing to me, but they are hard on my pressure points.  I read another forum and the mattress store owner suggested flipping this mattress over and topping with featherbed or latex.  But I am not too optomistic after trying the top quality featherbed (down topped, and no feathers poking thru).
Re: Sealy Truform bed misery
Reply #1 May 4, 2008 1:12 AM
Featherbeds don't add much, if any, cushion, they compress to almost nothing as you have discovered. Are you saying that your mattress is now upside down with the padding on the bottom? You should be able to build up your sleeping surface from there with high quality PU foam or latex to get it comfortable enough to relieve your pressure points. Go with one inch layers of good quality foam or latex, adding one at a time as needed. That way you don't go too far the other way and end up with something too squishy that hurts your back from lack of support.

This site sells latex toppers in one inch (as well as other) thicknesses:

http://www.sleeplikeabear.com/
Reply #2 May 6, 2008 1:58 AM
Thanks for your response.  The problem is finding good quality foam.  After spending money at Ikea that was wasted, and the feather bed money gone, my last try will be latex.  Yes, the memory foam is underneath the 30 lb. PU foam.  Not sure how long that stuff will last, but it has to be longer than the memory foam did.  Can't believe more people are not complaining about it, it doesn't last long, less than a year.

Did someone order the cuddle bed from Costco without a membership card?  I was reading their website and it looks like they want membership orders only.  Won't that compress pretty fast like everthing else?
Reply #3 May 7, 2008 9:07 PM
Yes, when I ordered on the net, they did not require a membership. However, maybe it was because I USED to have a membership and so signed in to their site under that name?

You may want to check out this thread about the Sealy I bought at CostCo and how lousy the foam was inside:

http://tinyurl.com/4mnmx9

Reply #4 May 10, 2008 7:45 PM
I was trying to read about Dunlopillo latex toppers and found this at their website:

Adhering to the strict flammability regulations to the furniture market in the UK, Dunlop Latex Foam Ltd. now leads the world in the production of fire retardant latex foam pillows, mattresses and block.

Just what I didn't want!  I don't want chemicals in my bed.  Does anyone know if they use this in their toppers?  It is considered a block at one time I am sure.  I just ordered 3 toppers too : (

Thanks in advance.

Recent Posts