Tempurpedic "Cloud" Mattress???
Dec 30, 2009 10:22 PM
Has anyone tested the new Tempurpedic Cloud series yet?  It looks like a slightly softer version of the Deluxe series, which is the one we were originally favoring.  The reasons we're leaning towards a memory foam mattress are:

1.  Our last two pillow top mattresses have been busts, as I have a bad back and constantly wake up in pain.

2.  Because I wake up in pain, I am constantly tossing and turning, which in turn wakes my wife up.

3.  90 day trial period is a great way to hedge your investment

Re: Tempurpedic "Cloud" Mattress???
Reply #12 Jan 20, 2010 12:35 AM
We just received this bed on Saturday.   The bed feels great and I have only experienced a little pain in my shoulders.   I assume this will get better during the first 90 days.

This is our 5th mattress in 2 years.   No luck with two Simmons Beautyrest and two Sealy Posterpedic mattresses.  We hope this is the one.   I will repost in a few weeks.
Reply #13 Jan 20, 2010 11:31 AM
Received Mattress yesterday, it does have smell, but not very strong, the pillows were worse.  We are letting it air out for two days before we start using it to sleep on.  Will post more latter.
Reply #14 Jan 20, 2010 6:29 PM
Sounds real familiar...after 6 weeks on my bellafina, i finally got two nights in a row with no lower back pain

Then I slept on the costco latex for a few days then now back to tempurpedic bellafina...it is so darn comfortable to lay on compared to latex, but by morning i have pain here and there

I too will give it some more time, I want to love it because the feel compared to latex is like bmw vs hyundai...but that doesnt matter if you wake up in pain
This message was modified Jan 20, 2010 by randys
Reply #15 Jan 20, 2010 7:21 PM
randys wrote:
Sounds real familiar...after 6 weeks on my bellafina, i finally got two nights in a row with no lower back pain

Then I slept on the costco latex for a few days then now back to tempurpedic bellafina...it is so darn comfortable to lay on compared to latex, but by morning i have pain here and there

I too will give it some more time, I want to love it because the feel compared to latex is like bmw vs hyundai...but that doesnt matter if you wake up in pain

randys: I believe, we all want to trust our initial impression when we first lay down on a mattress. We want that impression to be a soft, cushy, thoroughly pleasant experience. The mattress companies know this. That is why when you go into a showroom so many of the mattresses are soft cushy pillow tops. And since we cannot spend the night on the mattress in a showroom we go way with a false impression. Because, in the main, a soft cushy initial experience translates into improper support by morning time. Therefore the pain.

I have commented many times in this forum how I like to have a bed with two different firmness levels. I like the soft firmness when I first go to bed, but generally, by morning I am preferring the firmer side of my bed. the only way I know how to get this is with one of the online manufactures that will allow you to purchase split layers of foam. It doesn't have to be latex. It could be a mixture of latex and memory foam. From everything I read on this forum I do not believe I would care for memory foam. But, to each his own.
This message was modified Jan 20, 2010 by eagle2
Reply #16 Jan 21, 2010 11:32 AM
eagle2 wrote:
randys: I believe, we all want to trust our initial impression when we first lay down on a mattress. We want that impression to be a soft, cushy, thoroughly pleasant experience. The mattress companies know this. That is why when you go into a showroom so many of the mattresses are soft cushy pillow tops. And since we cannot spend the night on the mattress in a showroom we go way with a false impression. Because, in the main, a soft cushy initial experience translates into improper support by morning time. Therefore the pain.

I have commented many times in this forum how I like to have a bed with two different firmness levels. I like the soft firmness when I first go to bed, but generally, by morning I am preferring the firmer side of my bed. the only way I know how to get this is with one of the online manufactures that will allow you to purchase split layers of foam. It doesn't have to be latex. It could be a mixture of latex and memory foam. From everything I read on this forum I do not believe I would care for memory foam. But, to each his own.

So if you sleep alone and can move from one side of the bed to the other, ok...but how else could you switch firmness levels in the middle of the night?  I dont sleep alone. not an option
Reply #17 Jan 21, 2010 1:26 PM
Yes there is no question I have an advantage sleeping alone. But the purpose of my reference is to make a point about our changing feelings through the night regarding firmness levels. There are many questions on this forum regarding firmness levels versus comfort.

I am just trying to make the point that many times we blame our mattresses for being inadequate, when in fact it is our own bodies that mislead us.
Reply #18 Jan 25, 2010 11:19 AM
So here is my initial impression.  The first night sleep was a tossing and turning adventure, probably due to it being a new exp.  The second and third  nights were much better and slept very well.  My wife, who has back issues, has loved it from the very start, her wake up back pain has went down significantly.  We will continue to give updates in weekly posts.
Reply #19 Jan 26, 2010 7:08 PM
Update:

It's two nights short of a month on my Tempur-Cloud. This last week has been tough. The Cloud has softened to point of compressing totally under my hips causing pain (side sleeping), and my butt (sitting up in bed). I do have the adjustable base, but if I raise my head just enough to take pressure off my hip, I wake with a stiff neck.

I still love the feel of this mattress for the first 20 minutes, but after that, it becomes uncomfortable, and I ultimately wake in pain. I believe the reason is the low density of the top foam. I think the higher density foam, such as in the Rhapsody, would be better, but...

I will be returning this for a full refund as I can't risk the "one time exchange" for the Rhapsody if it were to not work out.

I'm now looking into trying the Ara at Costco as it can be returned. If that doesn't work, maybe another retailer with a 90 day trial on the TP Rhapsody? I have to wonder if TP keeps track of all their dealer's sales which may prohibit me from another trial period on any TP from any retailer.

I'm so disappointed and frustrated. I really wanted to love this bed! I still have until March, so I will update again when I decide which way to go. Any alternate suggestions would be very much appreciated.

As always, I hope this helps someone else.
Natalie
Reply #20 Feb 1, 2010 6:01 PM
Week two, I'm getting a better sleep on the bed this week, but I'm a stomach sleeper and my lower back appears to be getting a little tight.  My wife is still in heaven.  She had one bad night when she fell asleep on her back which is a no, no for her.  Will go another week and give an update then.
Reply #21 Feb 6, 2010 2:56 AM
Update:

I went to the mattress store today and talked to who seemed like a very TP knowledgeable salesman. I told him how hard I found the Cloud. That is was great for all of one week out the almost five weeks I’d been sleeping on it, but now felt like it was “bottoming out” onto a hard layer and is hurting my hips. He told me it was because it hadn’t been properly broken in. I was like “Huh? I’ve been sleeping on this for over four weeks! How could it NOT be broken in?”.

He asked me if I had ever actually walked on it Charlie Chaplin style and promised me that if I did that every day over the next few weeks, it would break in the second layer... the 5.3lb. support layer directly below the 4.1lb softer top layer. He also told me (in front of witnesses) that the store would extend the100 night money back guaranty if I needed more time for the process to be successful.

He also said that at my weight and height (128 lbs., 5’ 7”), and with my fibromyalgia and hip problems, the Rhapsody would be too firm due to the 7lb upper layer. Basically, I would have a harder time breaking that one down to get the softness heavier people, or people who sleep with partners achieve. But if the Cloud doesn’t work out, the Deluxe might be a choice.

I came home and walked on the Cloud for about 10 minutes. I’ll try it a few times every day and see if it softens up like the salesman said. Anyone ever walked on a TP? I gotta say it’s quite the workout for your thighs... it could definitely replace a gym membership ...LOL

So I now have hope I didn’t have before along with even more time to decide. If the Cloud breaks in I will be so happy!

I'll update again and let you know how it goes.
Natalie

Recent Posts