Tempurpedic "Cloud" Mattress???
Dec 30, 2009 10:22 PM
Has anyone tested the new Tempurpedic Cloud series yet?  It looks like a slightly softer version of the Deluxe series, which is the one we were originally favoring.  The reasons we're leaning towards a memory foam mattress are:

1.  Our last two pillow top mattresses have been busts, as I have a bad back and constantly wake up in pain.

2.  Because I wake up in pain, I am constantly tossing and turning, which in turn wakes my wife up.

3.  90 day trial period is a great way to hedge your investment

Re: Tempurpedic "Cloud" Mattress???
Reply #1 Jan 4, 2010 11:39 AM
If you are looking for a good night's sleep, proper sleep posture is everything. Your mattress should help you obtain the proper posture for your position.
I have sold a few of these mattresses and everyone is happy thus far.  The new surface layer offers a softer hand than other Tempur-pedic models.
Reply #2 Jan 9, 2010 10:40 AM
Thanks for starting this thread - I am a long time lurker on this site and thought I should finally join as I search for my new mattress.  I have friends who have the tempurpedic classic mattress and they swear by that thing. However it appears to hard for me, therefore I am very interested in the cloud mattress as well.  I went to the store to view it and it appears much softer than the other models, I'm just unsure that a memory foam mattress is for me so my search continues.  Also, since this model is fairly new, there are little to no reviews on it yet on the internet.  I am currently sleeping on a 10 year old serta that is awful so my search will be fast and hopefully make the right decision the first time!
Reply #3 Jan 10, 2010 4:24 PM
meth wrote:
Thanks for starting this thread - I am a long time lurker on this site and thought I should finally join as I search for my new mattress.  I have friends who have the tempurpedic classic mattress and they swear by that thing. However it appears to hard for me, therefore I am very interested in the cloud mattress as well.  I went to the store to view it and it appears much softer than the other models, I'm just unsure that a memory foam mattress is for me so my search continues.  Also, since this model is fairly new, there are little to no reviews on it yet on the internet.  I am currently sleeping on a 10 year old serta that is awful so my search will be fast and hopefully make the right decision the first time!

Remember that it softens up a lot after a few nights, a few weeks and a few months. So imho it is better to err on the side of getting one "too firm".
Frankly I did not like the Tempurpedic I had (regular one, sold at Brookstone), and returned it. But some people do like them, so as you say, you can't lose by trying it under a sleep trial. Good luck!
Reply #4 Jan 11, 2010 10:32 PM
this is good advice Jim, but I would just like to add that if you buy one of these.  always ask the sales person how long the floor model has been on display.  its something I talk about with all my customers, because if I had someone laying on a bed that was already 6 months old I want them to know when they get their new bed that it will be significantly firmer than the showroom model but will soften up to eventually feel the same.  or like Jim said that if they are looking at a very fresh sample that they are made aware it will become softer with use.
Reply #5 Jan 13, 2010 8:51 AM
i am returning bellfina for costco latex, but, the last two nights on it after 6 weeks were wonderful

the first 40 days were miserable, so now more confused than ever
Reply #6 Jan 13, 2010 12:47 PM
If you are looking for a good night's sleep, proper sleep posture is everything. Your mattress should help you obtain the proper posture for your position.
Almost all Tempur-pedic's will be firm right now due to the low temperatures experienced during distribution and warehousing.
Reply #7 Jan 18, 2010 3:10 PM
We just bought one of these beds last night and will be delivered on Tuesday.  I'll be sure to post my results of the bed during my 100 day sleep trial.
Reply #8 Jan 18, 2010 9:20 PM
Thanks, looking forward to hearing your review of it.
Reply #9 Jan 18, 2010 9:57 PM
I have the Tempur-pedic Cloud. Here is my opinion (Sorry for the length, but I want to be as accurate as possible)

I had an Englander Latex mattress for 17 yrs with no problems. I have fibromyalgia which, until an unrelated surgery and drop of 20 lbs., was never a problem on the old mattress. Over the last year I regained 15lbs, now I weigh 128lbs. Apparently I didn’t gain any of the weight back on my hips where most of my problems reside. I am a side sleeper, 60 yrs. old, and now very bony in the shoulders and especially the hips.

First I bought a new Englander Nature’s Finest Latex. The 3 weeks I spent on that were miserable. Numb hips and thighs and then shoulders… felt like a pro boxer was beating up through the night. Kept waking up with red sore spots over hip bones. Bought a three inch memory foam topper, only to find that 2.5 density foam doesn’t really do the trick. My son needed a new mattress badly so the new Englander went to he and his wife.

Okay on to the Tempur Cloud:

On Dec 21 I went to Sleep Train and laid on the Tempur-Cloud for a full 45 min. Sat up with pillows behind me for another 20 min. to be sure it was comfortable for TV watching, (and to be sure my butt didn’t go to sleep as it did on the Englander). It felt very comfortable, so I took the plunge and bought it.

The salesman gave me a TP Comfort pillow to take home with me. When I opened the pillow I DID notice the odor, but it wasn’t anything near what I read about. I have to say I had anticipated the same awful smell as “foam toppers” I had tried, but it’s not anything like those. After rolling it up and mushing it around to soften it, I had no problem sleeping on it. Just a whiff or two of “new smell” during the night. A week later and the pillow WAS great with no odor. I have since found it made my neck hurt so I quit using it.

On Dec 28 my TP Cloud was delivered.

1st night, after airing out the mattress for 7 hrs., it felt a little firm and cold. But it was 50° here and I don’t think it had fully warmed up to room temp yet. Sleep Train gave me a mattress protector (not a Tempur-pedic brand), and it fit the bed perfectly, but felt scratchy even through the jersey bottom sheet. I also think it made the mattress feel a little firmer and hotter. BTW, I absolutely love the cover on this mattress.

2nd night, (after I took off the mattress protector), the mattress was much softer, though still not as soft as the one in the store, but a good 25% softer than night one. It did smell stronger this second night, and I was afraid it would never go away.

After 5 nights my mattress no longer had any odor and was the most comfortable bed ever! My hips quit hurting after 3 nights and I was just too happy. This lasted for all of a week.

Last night was three weeks of sleeping on my Cloud. My hips and shoulders, are aching again, but not nearly as significantly as on previous beds. The Cloud has softened. It has softened ALOT! We keep the house at 68° to 70°, so I can't imagine how soft this will be in summer when the house is at around 78°.

I know I'm saying the bed is soft, but at the same time it also feels firmer and harder on pressure points then it did 3 wks ago ... as if I'm now "bottoming out" onto the firmer core material, yet surrounded by softer foam. Best way I can describe it is imagine a few marshmallows held between your fingers. If you squeeze your fingers together softly, the marshmallows compact, the more times you squeeze the more they compact until you can feel your fingers meet through them. I'm a side sleeper, so this is only in the shoulder and hip area. BUT, now in addition to the other pains, for the first time ever I have lower back pain, and neck pain even with the use of a soft thin pillow, so I'm thinking the mattress is losing support and my bony areas are sinking in deeper than the rest of me.

As to it sleeping hot, I'm using jersey sheets and right now no mattress protector (though I have ordered the TP protector and am waiting for it to arrive), and I don't find this mattress any hotter than the latex foam beds I've always had. That may change with the TP protector, but TP claims it won't.

The Tempur-Cloud Supreme, IMHO is PLUSH! It doesn’t feel as if you’re sinking into it like the Deluxe does. I don’t get that “my mattress wraps around me”, or “sleeping in sand” feel at all, but If you've got any type of back problem this mattress may be too soft for you.

Sleep Train gives a 100 night money refunded or one time exchange guaranty, and I really, really, REALLY want to love this bed, so I'm giving it the full time before making a final decision.

If you have any questions I'll try to answer them, otherwise I will update if things change either way.

Hope this helps someone,

Natalie

This message was modified Jan 18, 2010 by Natalia
Reply #10 Jan 19, 2010 2:41 AM
thanks for the review Natalia!

Id have to say that if you are noticebly more comfortable than you were on the other mattresses that this is a good sign.  Perhaps this will continue to improve over time, it is normal to go through some adjustment period on a Tempur-Pedic. 
Reply #11 Jan 19, 2010 10:38 AM
Natalia - thank you for the review!  I am so confused as I have sat on and layed on the mattress in the store several times but just don't know about sleeping on it.  I suffer from low back problems and I am just afraid of it aggrevating it more.  I will continue to monitor this thread as I continue my search to finding the right mattress.
Reply #12 Jan 20, 2010 12:35 AM
We just received this bed on Saturday.   The bed feels great and I have only experienced a little pain in my shoulders.   I assume this will get better during the first 90 days.

This is our 5th mattress in 2 years.   No luck with two Simmons Beautyrest and two Sealy Posterpedic mattresses.  We hope this is the one.   I will repost in a few weeks.
Reply #13 Jan 20, 2010 11:31 AM
Received Mattress yesterday, it does have smell, but not very strong, the pillows were worse.  We are letting it air out for two days before we start using it to sleep on.  Will post more latter.
Reply #14 Jan 20, 2010 6:29 PM
Sounds real familiar...after 6 weeks on my bellafina, i finally got two nights in a row with no lower back pain

Then I slept on the costco latex for a few days then now back to tempurpedic bellafina...it is so darn comfortable to lay on compared to latex, but by morning i have pain here and there

I too will give it some more time, I want to love it because the feel compared to latex is like bmw vs hyundai...but that doesnt matter if you wake up in pain
This message was modified Jan 20, 2010 by randys
Reply #15 Jan 20, 2010 7:21 PM
randys wrote:
Sounds real familiar...after 6 weeks on my bellafina, i finally got two nights in a row with no lower back pain

Then I slept on the costco latex for a few days then now back to tempurpedic bellafina...it is so darn comfortable to lay on compared to latex, but by morning i have pain here and there

I too will give it some more time, I want to love it because the feel compared to latex is like bmw vs hyundai...but that doesnt matter if you wake up in pain

randys: I believe, we all want to trust our initial impression when we first lay down on a mattress. We want that impression to be a soft, cushy, thoroughly pleasant experience. The mattress companies know this. That is why when you go into a showroom so many of the mattresses are soft cushy pillow tops. And since we cannot spend the night on the mattress in a showroom we go way with a false impression. Because, in the main, a soft cushy initial experience translates into improper support by morning time. Therefore the pain.

I have commented many times in this forum how I like to have a bed with two different firmness levels. I like the soft firmness when I first go to bed, but generally, by morning I am preferring the firmer side of my bed. the only way I know how to get this is with one of the online manufactures that will allow you to purchase split layers of foam. It doesn't have to be latex. It could be a mixture of latex and memory foam. From everything I read on this forum I do not believe I would care for memory foam. But, to each his own.
This message was modified Jan 20, 2010 by eagle2
Reply #16 Jan 21, 2010 11:32 AM
eagle2 wrote:
randys: I believe, we all want to trust our initial impression when we first lay down on a mattress. We want that impression to be a soft, cushy, thoroughly pleasant experience. The mattress companies know this. That is why when you go into a showroom so many of the mattresses are soft cushy pillow tops. And since we cannot spend the night on the mattress in a showroom we go way with a false impression. Because, in the main, a soft cushy initial experience translates into improper support by morning time. Therefore the pain.

I have commented many times in this forum how I like to have a bed with two different firmness levels. I like the soft firmness when I first go to bed, but generally, by morning I am preferring the firmer side of my bed. the only way I know how to get this is with one of the online manufactures that will allow you to purchase split layers of foam. It doesn't have to be latex. It could be a mixture of latex and memory foam. From everything I read on this forum I do not believe I would care for memory foam. But, to each his own.

So if you sleep alone and can move from one side of the bed to the other, ok...but how else could you switch firmness levels in the middle of the night?  I dont sleep alone. not an option
Reply #17 Jan 21, 2010 1:26 PM
Yes there is no question I have an advantage sleeping alone. But the purpose of my reference is to make a point about our changing feelings through the night regarding firmness levels. There are many questions on this forum regarding firmness levels versus comfort.

I am just trying to make the point that many times we blame our mattresses for being inadequate, when in fact it is our own bodies that mislead us.
Reply #18 Jan 25, 2010 11:19 AM
So here is my initial impression.  The first night sleep was a tossing and turning adventure, probably due to it being a new exp.  The second and third  nights were much better and slept very well.  My wife, who has back issues, has loved it from the very start, her wake up back pain has went down significantly.  We will continue to give updates in weekly posts.
Reply #19 Jan 26, 2010 7:08 PM
Update:

It's two nights short of a month on my Tempur-Cloud. This last week has been tough. The Cloud has softened to point of compressing totally under my hips causing pain (side sleeping), and my butt (sitting up in bed). I do have the adjustable base, but if I raise my head just enough to take pressure off my hip, I wake with a stiff neck.

I still love the feel of this mattress for the first 20 minutes, but after that, it becomes uncomfortable, and I ultimately wake in pain. I believe the reason is the low density of the top foam. I think the higher density foam, such as in the Rhapsody, would be better, but...

I will be returning this for a full refund as I can't risk the "one time exchange" for the Rhapsody if it were to not work out.

I'm now looking into trying the Ara at Costco as it can be returned. If that doesn't work, maybe another retailer with a 90 day trial on the TP Rhapsody? I have to wonder if TP keeps track of all their dealer's sales which may prohibit me from another trial period on any TP from any retailer.

I'm so disappointed and frustrated. I really wanted to love this bed! I still have until March, so I will update again when I decide which way to go. Any alternate suggestions would be very much appreciated.

As always, I hope this helps someone else.
Natalie
Reply #20 Feb 1, 2010 6:01 PM
Week two, I'm getting a better sleep on the bed this week, but I'm a stomach sleeper and my lower back appears to be getting a little tight.  My wife is still in heaven.  She had one bad night when she fell asleep on her back which is a no, no for her.  Will go another week and give an update then.
Reply #21 Feb 6, 2010 2:56 AM
Update:

I went to the mattress store today and talked to who seemed like a very TP knowledgeable salesman. I told him how hard I found the Cloud. That is was great for all of one week out the almost five weeks I’d been sleeping on it, but now felt like it was “bottoming out” onto a hard layer and is hurting my hips. He told me it was because it hadn’t been properly broken in. I was like “Huh? I’ve been sleeping on this for over four weeks! How could it NOT be broken in?”.

He asked me if I had ever actually walked on it Charlie Chaplin style and promised me that if I did that every day over the next few weeks, it would break in the second layer... the 5.3lb. support layer directly below the 4.1lb softer top layer. He also told me (in front of witnesses) that the store would extend the100 night money back guaranty if I needed more time for the process to be successful.

He also said that at my weight and height (128 lbs., 5’ 7”), and with my fibromyalgia and hip problems, the Rhapsody would be too firm due to the 7lb upper layer. Basically, I would have a harder time breaking that one down to get the softness heavier people, or people who sleep with partners achieve. But if the Cloud doesn’t work out, the Deluxe might be a choice.

I came home and walked on the Cloud for about 10 minutes. I’ll try it a few times every day and see if it softens up like the salesman said. Anyone ever walked on a TP? I gotta say it’s quite the workout for your thighs... it could definitely replace a gym membership ...LOL

So I now have hope I didn’t have before along with even more time to decide. If the Cloud breaks in I will be so happy!

I'll update again and let you know how it goes.
Natalie

Reply #22 Feb 6, 2010 6:43 PM
If the Cloud doesn't work the Deluxe probably won't either. 

Despite the density the 7lb foam is actually faster responding and a better pressure relieving surface than the 5.3 lb stuff they use in the top of the Deluxe.  The density itself is not the only way Tempur changes their foam.  The way they cure it has a huge effect on the firmness level of it all.  It sounds wierd but in terms of how soft and forgiving the inital sleep surface is, the softest to firmest would be the 4lb foam >7lb foam> 5.3lb foam. 

We have NEVER had someone lay on the Deluxe and the Rhapsody and find the Deluxe softer, it is actually the firmest overall bed in the Tempur line. 
Reply #23 Feb 6, 2010 7:12 PM
budgy wrote:

Despite the density the 7lb foam is actually faster responding and a better pressure relieving surface than the 5.3 lb stuff they use in the top of the Deluxe.  The density itself is not the only way Tempur changes their foam.  The way they cure it has a huge effect on the firmness level of it all.  It sounds wierd but in terms of how soft and forgiving the inital sleep surface is, the softest to firmest would be the 4lb foam >7lb foam> 5.3lb foam. 

We have NEVER had someone lay on the Deluxe and the Rhapsody and find the Deluxe softer, it is actually the firmest overall bed in the Tempur line. 

Wow, budgy... good to know, but now I'm more confused than ever. So if the Cloud Supreme ends up not working for my pressure points, do you think I should at least try the Rhapsody?

Very much appreciate your input as my next step was going to be trying Costco latex with a topper or the Ara or.... Simmons NxG, but I only want to leave the TP line as a last resort!
This message was modified Feb 6, 2010 by Natalia
Reply #24 Feb 7, 2010 3:05 AM
if they allow you to try  rhapsody I would go for it.  the Tempur HD material is supposed to be the very best pressure relieving surface they have and it will also be more supportive and durable than the cloud.  my parents actually just got themselves a rhapsody and they have both always had major issues with pressure points on many different beds, even another higher quality memory foam set, but it wasn't a Tempur. 
Reply #25 Feb 7, 2010 3:49 PM
budgy wrote:
if they allow you to try  rhapsody I would go for it.  the Tempur HD material is supposed to be the very best pressure relieving surface they have and it will also be more supportive and durable than the cloud.  my parents actually just got themselves a rhapsody and they have both always had major issues with pressure points on many different beds, even another higher quality memory foam set, but it wasn't a Tempur. 

budgy, Thank you so much! Please come back to this post after your parents have been using the Rhapsody for a while and let me know how they like it. I have until March to decide. Again thank you so much!
Reply #26 Feb 7, 2010 4:19 PM
ill definitely let you know if they have some kind of change of heart.  interestingly enough, they tried a queen that was about 60 days old and already broken in somewhat.  they tried it for 2 days before they took a brand new king for themselves.  they definitely find it firmer, but still much better than the other memory foam they had previously. 

I had a chance to try a Tempur Cloud recently while I was in the US.  It truly is a very soft mattress, but my concern is that realistically I don't see the 4lb foam being enough support for someone that weighed over 175 lbs.  I can't wait to bring them into my store because I believe it will sell like hot cakes to the masses, based solely on the comfort, but if someone is either a little bit heavier and/or really needs to have the best possible posture the heavier tempur materials will still out perform based on those criteria.  Even myself I am only about 170lbs, but I have shoulders that are about twice the circumference of my waist, so I found my torso actually sank down a little too much in the Cloud while I was on my side, on my back it was fantastic.
Reply #27 Feb 21, 2010 8:07 PM
We bought a Tempur Cloud Supreme about 4 weeks ago.  My wife and I both are very happy with the bed.  Both our bodies seem to "melt" into the bed when we are going to sleep.  It is incredible how comfortable this bed feels!  We did purchase the adjustable ergo bases.  My wife has her feet and head adjusted slightly inclined while I choose to sleep in the flat position.  So far, we have no complaints.  We replaced a top of the line Simmons Beauty Rest Pillowtop.  At this point, this is without a doubt the best bed we have ever slept in.
Reply #28 Feb 22, 2010 8:54 AM
budgy wrote:

Really? B/C that's what I thought when I tried out the Tempurpedics, I definitely felt the Deluxe was softer than the Rhapsody.  That HD layer in the Rhapsody really made it feel firmer.  And I tried both models in several different stores over a period of a few months, it wasn't just one floor model of each I tried. . .
Reply #29 Feb 22, 2010 11:15 AM
mcbradley1 wrote:
We bought a Tempur Cloud Supreme about 4 weeks ago.  My wife and I both are very happy with the bed.  Both our bodies seem to "melt" into the bed when we are going to sleep.  It is incredible how comfortable this bed feels!  We did purchase the adjustable ergo bases.  My wife has her feet and head adjusted slightly inclined while I choose to sleep in the flat position.  So far, we have no complaints.  We replaced a top of the line Simmons Beauty Rest Pillowtop.  At this point, this is without a doubt the best bed we have ever slept in.

the ergo bases would probably solve every back problem on here, regardless of the mattress itself, it is just affording it...glad to hear you were able to afford it and are happy

i may have to consider it soon myself
Reply #30 Feb 22, 2010 12:04 PM
KimberlyH wrote:
Really? B/C that's what I thought when I tried out the Tempurpedics, I definitely felt the Deluxe was softer than the Rhapsody.  That HD layer in the Rhapsody really made it feel firmer.  And I tried both models in several different stores over a period of a few months, it wasn't just one floor model of each I tried. . .

it sounds like a small chance but perhaps every DeluxeBed you tried was a dilapidated older floor model.  OR the Canadian version is different somehow, but the specs are the same.  We have had some people claim they don't feel much difference at all but I have never had someone say the Deluxe felt softer in our store but we refresh our floor samples often.
Reply #31 Feb 22, 2010 5:03 PM
Ok its been a few weeks since my last update.  I have found that I have gotten used to the bed and sleep very good on it now, but my opinion doesen't mean much as I can sleep anywhere.  My wife is the one with the back and hip problems.  Via my wife, she has seen a huge decrease in wake up pain, it something that will never go away for her, but this mattress makes it bearable for her.  She has had in the last few days more wake up pain than previously, but she seems to attribute that to sleeping on her back, which as stated before is a no-no.  The bed seems to be breaking in and to me it feels like I'm getting to a bottom or maybe its the firmier portion of the mattress.  I weigh 180lbs and my wife 145lbs.  I'll come back in a week or two and give another progress report.  At this point we both are liking the bed, we still have 1.75 months to go on our trial.
Reply #32 Feb 22, 2010 7:00 PM
Thanks for the update Steve. I'm looking forward to your next update. I hope it continues to ease your wife's pain.
Reply #33 Feb 23, 2010 8:55 AM
I just bought tempurpedic cloud.  I had a cheap one at home before and it caused me a lot of back pain (upper back).
Let me tell you, the cheap mattress from Costco ($500) did not give me this much pain as the new  tempurpedic cloud.  However, the commercials on TV are so strong that you don't want to think about the mattress as being a problem. Well it is! For those who had back pain from previous mattresses: absolutely do not buy tempurpedic cloud! You will be sorry for it. Why? because your body needs support, and therefore, you should be buying a much firmer mattress! Believe me! Do not make mistake I made.  My wife never had any pain and she compains about the back pain.  We had it just for two days!
I am calling Sleepy's today to switch to tempurpedic classic.  If this does not fix this problem I will return it for a full refund.
Reply #34 Feb 24, 2010 1:09 PM
For anyone with back issues, I recommend against the cloud bed. It is FAR too soft and has way too much "play" so to speak. It has the support of a goose-down comforter! (A bit of hyperbole, there.) The only Tempurpedic Brand bed I recommend is their "GRAND BED". I sleep on one 3 times a week at an invalid's home (I provide home care). It is, BY FAR, the MOST comfortable bed I've ever had the pleasure of meeting! It's even better than the bed at my home (which is extremely comfy and supportive. I have degenerative disc disease, and the "GRAND BED" sleeps like a dream! http://www.tempurpedic.com/mattresses/tempur_hd/the_grandbed_by_tempur_pedic/
Reply #35 Feb 24, 2010 1:31 PM
the Mysticbed (or Allure to you Americans lol).  is almost the same as the GrandBed as well for a lot less money. 

but yeah I agree, these HD beds in general are so vastly superior to the basic models that Tempur makes. 
Reply #36 Feb 24, 2010 1:55 PM
tarchyk wrote:
I just bought tempurpedic cloud.  I had a cheap one at home before and it caused me a lot of back pain (upper back).
Let me tell you, the cheap mattress from Costco ($500) did not give me this much pain as the new  tempurpedic cloud.  However, the commercials on TV are so strong that you don't want to think about the mattress as being a problem. Well it is! For those who had back pain from previous mattresses: absolutely do not buy tempurpedic cloud! You will be sorry for it. Why? because your body needs support, and therefore, you should be buying a much firmer mattress! Believe me! Do not make mistake I made.  My wife never had any pain and she compains about the back pain.  We had it just for two days!
I am calling Sleepy's today to switch to tempurpedic classic.  If this does not fix this problem I will return it for a full refund.

please keep in touch and update us on how the next bed feels...thanks for your info
Reply #37 Mar 2, 2010 12:07 PM
Cloud, no. Grand, yes.
Reply #38 Mar 4, 2010 3:46 PM
We went to Sleep Train yesterday to start the return my TP Cloud Supreme. They are picking up the mattress, free pillow, and mattress protector on Friday. Our salesman was great about it, and I was shocked that I could return the free TP pillow! I'd read so many others complain that they had to keep and pay for these through TP's site. Sleep Train does honor their 100 night trial and one time money back policy. At least so far... I'll know for sure when the money is credited back to my account.And if you're in CA, I would recommend them.

It's difficult to find reviews on the TP Cloud and I think it's because it was only released last November. There are a few reviews at Brookstone, and Facebook is all "Fans".  I really did love the feel of this mattress but it did "bottom out"  on me within two months, and even though the higher density of the Rhapsody and other HD models may be better, I went with Flobeds latex instead. I didn't realize latex could relieve pressure points and the fact that it can be customized, along with the company's 90 day policy sealed the deal for me.

I do agree that we are bombarded with Tempur-pedic TV ads that make us want them, and we, as consumers, are paying much higher prices for these beds because of them. I don't think it means it's a bad product. So many are happy with their purchases, and if mine had worked for me, I'd be a fan too!

Anyway, for the those that bought it, be sure you love it before your trial expires, and if you do, than I'm very, very happy for you.
Natalie

PS - Thank you again for sharing your knowledge budgy! I hope your parents are comfortable for years, and years, and years to come.
This message was modified Mar 4, 2010 by Natalia
Reply #39 Mar 5, 2010 12:40 PM
Thank you for detailing and sharing your experiences with us.  I know I have learned more about this bed by reading your posts, and I will definitely remember them for when we get this mattress into the store. 
Reply #40 Apr 9, 2010 3:22 PM
My husband and I bought a Cloud a couple of weeks ago and we absolutely love it. It is softer than the other Tempur versions, but it still has TONS of firmness and support at the same time.  I too, like many, have back problems and no longer have back pain when I wake in the mornings.  I wake more rested and dont toss and turn at all anymore.  Once i begin to settle in for the night, I look forward to going to bed becaue the mattress is that awesome.

Just a word of warning, the 90-day free trial has its good and bad points.  You get to sleep on the mattress for 90 days...if you change your mind and decide you don't want it...you can't just return it.  You have to trade it in on something at equal or lesser value (if you want a mor expensive mattress..they will apply the cost of the one you are exchanging and you will pay the difference.)  You can returnthe mattress as well - but are required to pay a 20% restocking fee which will result in around a $600 charge to return the mattress..  Just beware of the limitations of the "free trial". 

Reply #41 Apr 9, 2010 3:46 PM
Sclines2595 wrote:

My husband and I bought a Cloud a couple of weeks ago and we absolutely love it. It is softer than the other Tempur versions, but it still has TONS of firmness and support at the same time.  I too, like many, have back problems and no longer have back pain when I wake in the mornings.  I wake more rested and dont toss and turn at all anymore.  Once i begin to settle in for the night, I look forward to going to bed becaue the mattress is that awesome.

Just a word of warning, the 90-day free trial has its good and bad points.  You get to sleep on the mattress for 90 days...if you change your mind and decide you don't want it...you can't just return it.  You have to trade it in on something at equal or lesser value (if you want a mor expensive mattress..they will apply the cost of the one you are exchanging and you will pay the difference.)  You can returnthe mattress as well - but are required to pay a 20% restocking fee which will result in around a $600 charge to return the mattress..  Just beware of the limitations of the "free trial". 

Did you buy from direct from Tempur-pedic online? When I called they said there was no restocking fee, only the return shipping.

After reading your post, I just called TP direct at 888-225-7974. The phone number on the Kit they sent me along with a DVD and certificate for trial. The representitive I spoke with reiterated, "Return shipping only. For most models it's 175.00". He also said, "Any store that tells you there is a restocking fee is flat out lying. Though it may be the store's policy, it is NOT Tempur-pedic policy."

On a brighter note, I'm really glad you love it and sincerely hope it continues to give you painfree nights. I really loved, and I mean loved, the feel of mine and wish had worked out for me. Even though it didn't, I still have TP envy. wink

Reply #42 Apr 12, 2010 12:16 AM
I am in the market for a new bed and as have seen all the TP commercials. My husband weighs around 280, disabled, has had a leg amputated and has alot of back pain, I weigh around 300 and have pressure point pain, hips, shoulder when I try to sleep, I bought a sealy about 2 years ago and we are both are miserable, I can never get a good night sleep, I was reading about  the Cloud TP but not sure now, can anyone suggest which TP would be the best with our weights, we are on a limited budget so the most expensive isn't an option??

Thanks,

Ginger

Reply #43 Apr 12, 2010 12:56 AM
Hello Ginger,

I hate to be the one to say this.  But realistically the vast majority of the bad reviews on this mattress are coming from those that are a little bit heavier set.  I really doubt the 4.0lb foam's ability to be supportive for you, probably the only TP models that would be are the most expensive ones.  I think if you want to keep cost within reason you may want to strongly consider an all latex mattress as they can support a lot more weight and it seems like in the US the pricing is going to start in the same basic range.  You may want to check out Flobeds, or Savvyrest.  Other good options for the price look like Sam's Club or Costco (when available)

Reply #44 Apr 12, 2010 2:24 AM
I agree with Budgy, the Tempurpedic Cloud is probably not for you as at your weight, you'll both need a firmer mattress that has some resiliance to give pressure point relief.  I highly recommend trying an all latex mattress.

I bought mine from Flobeds, and I do think it's important to get a latex mattress from a company that allows you to tailor the firmness level of the latex to suit body weight, sleeping position, medical concerns, etc., but if you are really constrained on price there are two latex beds from Costco and Sam's Club that might fit the bill:

Costco:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11503506&search=latex%20mattress&Mo=23&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=latex%20mattress&Ntt=latex%20mattress&No=3&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

This is just the twin, they have other sizes

Sam's Club:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=457139&pCatg=6805

and again, they have other sizes.

If you do go tempurpedic, I am tall, heavy, and have back issues.  I tried the Tempurpedics on the showroom floor for many months and basically came to the same conclusion Budgy states:  for a heavy person only the very top models will work.  Those are so much more expensive than a latex mattress, if budget is a concern, you might do better with latex.  Personally, I like it better anyway.

Reply #45 Apr 12, 2010 3:39 PM
Thanks sooooo much all, that is what I really wanted to know. I had never heard of latex but I am going to check it out. Of course my husband saw that the "Biggest Loser" uses the TP beds, but I'm sure they are the most expensive TP has.

Thanks again,

Ginger

Reply #46 Apr 14, 2010 1:27 AM
Kimberly,

Thanks so much for the links, I looked at those and also went to Flobeds.com where you said you got yours, may I ask which one you have and does it help alot on the pressure points??

Ginger

Reply #47 Apr 15, 2010 3:40 AM
Ginger,

This is a memory foam mattress for people 300-400 lbs. They also have one for people 250-300 lbs.

http://www.allmemoryfoam.com/ultra400.html

It is $1244 for queen including mattress protector and pillow.

Reply #48 Apr 15, 2010 11:02 AM
I bought the Posture Deluxe Talalay Mattress:

http://www.flobeds.com/latex/index.htm

FYI, I weigh >250, side sleeper, and before I bought the latex mattress I had terrible hip and back pain, with numbness and tingling too.  It was impossible to get a good night's sleep, I'd be tossing and turning and waking up in pain all night long, dragged out and exhausted during the day.

Now, I sleep pain free all night and sleep better than I have in years.   I do have the occasional twinge, but nothing remotely close to the pain I was in before.  The bed is a dream to lie and sleep on.  it's tough to get out of bed in the morning smiley

My configuration is currently F (32 ILD) over XF (36 ILD) over XF (36 ILD) and there is a 2" soft topper over the entire mattress.  Originally I had XF/XF/XF, but after some months I decided that was just a little too firm, and so I switched a layer with my husband, so he now has the XF/XF/XF and I have F/XF/XF.

This configuration provides plenty of support and just enough softness for pressure point relief.

The benefit of Flobeds over the Costco or Sam's Club mattress is that the mattress has three layers of latex (plus the topper).  Each latex layer can be custom ordered for the firmness you want, and if it isn't right, it's super easy to exchange layers for softer/firmer - whatever you need.  And you have 90 days to do all your switching, or return the whole thing if it isn't for you (in this respect, Flobeds equals Temperpedic).

With the Costco and Sam's Club, the price is lower but it only comes in one firmness configuration - you get what you get, though you can return it if it isn't right.  I've decided to get the Sam's Club one for my daughter, though I haven't pulled the trigger yet.  She isn't old and achy and doesn't need all the options I needed.

Whatever you do get, I would recommend getting a nice organic cotton and wool cover for the mattress.  The cotton will be soft, the wool will have anti-mite and bed bug properties, it will help keep you warm in winter and cool in summer.

Reply #49 Apr 15, 2010 12:01 PM
DeeAgeaux wrote:

Ginger,

This is a memory foam mattress for people 300-400 lbs. They also have one for people 250-300 lbs.

http://www.allmemoryfoam.com/ultra400.html

It is $1244 for queen including mattress protector and pillow.

according to the product description its 2" of "latex" over an 8" foam core.......

Reply #50 Apr 15, 2010 12:56 PM
I'm guessing that "domesically engineered latex" means the latex is 100% synthetic?
Reply #51 Apr 15, 2010 1:30 PM
I think you guys are reading my mind today smiley I was just going to ask about Talalay Latex Mattresses. Kim yours sounds like a dream to me, I have all the same symptom with my pressure points with the point on becoming numb also, turning and tossing all night long so I sleep mostly in my recliner as it is the only place I can get any relief, but that gets tiring also.  I hadn't even heard of Latex before you guys mentioned it. Thanks so much. I should have known not to buy a Sealy again when I did 3 years ago because of my hips but it had memory foam on top of the springs (2") so I thought that would do it....NOT!! Wish I had that $1400 back.

I saw Ashley Furniture here in Texas has Talalay Memory Foam beds, I haven't called to find out the prices yet, they have the Aruba, Curacao and St. Tropez. Looks like the St. Tropez has 12" of foam, not sure what that all means but I will look more into it. I may need to save up the money for a while longer  and get the best grade I can. I kind of got confused about changing out foam to get a better feel but I'm sure someone could help me with this.

Thanks all!

Ginger

Reply #52 Apr 15, 2010 3:29 PM
They don't seem to provide detailed specs on exactly what latex is used.  The blends, natural vrs synthetic, ILD, layers, thickness of layer, etc. 

I would personally prefer a bed where I can customize each layer, and each side.  SleepEZ, Flo, whatever.  And one that I know exactly what type of latex is used.  Knowing that I can get that level of customization and and detailed information means that I just wouldn't considering shopping for anything less.  If that wasn't available to me, then I would consider a retail bed like that as long as I found it be to really comfortable.

Reply #53 Apr 15, 2010 4:36 PM
Ginger, the problem with that Ashley bed you linked is that it is not 100% latex.  It's two layers of latex on top of a PU foam base.  A PU foam base will land you with the same problems you had with your earlier mattresses.  You have to be very careful looking at descriptions to be sure what you are getting is 100% latex (if you decide to try that route).

Latex is foam, but it's not PU foam (made from petrochemicals), nor is it memory foam, which retains an impression when you press your hand (or body) into it.

Latex foam is made from the rubber tree and it's quite a different animal altogether.

I would steer away from this Ashley bed,because basically, they are jumping on the latex bandwagon and putting a few inches of latex on top of a cheap foam bottom.  If you buy it, you'll be sorry.

I really think your choices are:

1) A HIGH quality Tempurpedic mattress (meaning Rhapsody model or higher) (not a wanna-be Tempurpedic memory foam mattress from a different manufacturer)

2) A HIGH quality latex mattress, made of 100% LATEX.  Be wary of major manufacturers, such as one of the major S brand manufacturers, or a large furniture company such as Ashley.  They do not carry the same quality 100% latex beds that the independents do.  Instead they put a little latex on top of a cheap foam base, which will not last.

Latex mattresses are a small, but growing segment of the mattress industry in the US.  It is difficult to find a real, 100% latex mattress in a showroom to try one out.  I scoured my area before I found 2-3 places to try one out, and even then, I had to order online to get the best quality mattress.

The best latex mattresses are 100% latex, and the very best ones have a zippered mattress cover so that individual latex layers can be exchanged to suit your own needs and comfort level.

The latex mattress companies that get the most press on this forum are FLOBEDS and SLEEPEZ:

http://www.flobeds.com/

Flobeds has a 90 day trial period during which you can exchange layers or, if it just doesn't work out, return the whole thing.

http://www.sleepezbeds.com/

Sleepez has a trial period (I forget how long - 60 or 90 days) and you can do layer exchanges, but returns are subject to a restocking fee (last time I looked)

although some like SaavyRest:

http://www.savvyrest.com/

Not sure that returns are allowed at all on Savvy Rest.

You should look at these three companies to start, and also do a little research on the differences between Dunlop and Talalay latex.  They are both latex, but the manufacturing methods are different.  Some people prefer Dunlop latex, which (let me generalize here) tends to be denser and firmer - some people who like A LOT of support prefer these.  Others prefer Talalay latex, which is less dense, and "springier."  I'm personally in the Talalay latex camp and that's what my latex mattress is.

The latex beds from Costco and Sam's Club, which I linked earlier, are Dunlop latex mattresses.  The Costco one is less expensive, but the latex is made in China, and the cover is not nearly as good as the cover on the Sam's Club mattress:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=457139&pCatg=6805

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11503486&search=latex%20mattress&Mo=22&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=4001713&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=latex%20mattress&Ntt=latex%20mattress&No=6&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&s=1&topnav=&Nty=1&s=1

As far as I know, no one on this forum has purchased the Sam's Club mattress yet, but several have purchased the Costco mattress and been very pleased.  The queen latex bed from Costco is $1000, plus you'd need to buy a foundation, either from Costco or your local mattress store, for another few hundred dollars.

This message was modified Apr 15, 2010 by KimberlyH
Reply #54 Apr 15, 2010 4:50 PM
Thanks BMc and Kim,

I started thinking about that after I looked more at it, I did find the specs, 1" Poly Foam on top, 3" 14 IDL, 2" 19 IDL and a 6" HD Polyurethanene foam bottom. and that doesn't sound like it would be much better like you said. <sigh> I liked the one you have at flobeds.

I'm going to keep researching and thanks again, you guys are really a big help.

Ginger

Reply #55 May 21, 2010 9:45 PM
Just ordered my Cloud Supreme after trying their whole line on a few trips to some local stores. I am a 47 old male that is 6'2" 300lbs with a back fusion. Also I am a side sleeper that often awakes with hip pain sleeping on a eight year old stearns and foster. (back pain is not a nightly issue) So I have read some concerns with this bed for heavier people, so I will update with my experience after I get the first thirty nights on it.

Eric

Reply #56 May 25, 2010 9:29 AM
I know that I am a little late to this thread, but hopefully this will help people who are looking through for some info. I looked at a tempurpedic for a long time before I started actually researching all of the other memory foam mattresses online (believe me, there are a ton of them) Eventually I came across http://www.bedinabox.com/ They have sort of a goofy website, but in my opinion (for the money) they have the best memory foam mattress out there. I got the PacDown mattress in a queen size about 8 months ago and my wife and I have never slept better. They also have a 120 night trial period and a pretty solid warranty. Before you pull the trigger on a tempurpedic, you should check them out.
Reply #57 May 25, 2010 10:09 AM
newguy87 wrote:

I know that I am a little late to this thread, but hopefully this will help people who are looking through for some info. I looked at a tempurpedic for a long time before I started actually researching all of the other memory foam mattresses online (believe me, there are a ton of them) Eventually I came across http://www.bedinabox.com/ They have sort of a goofy website, but in my opinion (for the money) they have the best memory foam mattress out there. I got the PacDown mattress in a queen size about 8 months ago and my wife and I have never slept better. They also have a 120 night trial period and a pretty solid warranty. Before you pull the trigger on a tempurpedic, you should check them out.

What weight and height are you and your wife?

Thank you

Reply #58 Dec 22, 2010 12:37 AM
My fiance and I recently purchased the TP Advantage model and were EXTREMELY disappointed! The mattress was as hard as a rock! We found it very difficult to fall asleep and woke up stiff and in pain, not something I expected from a $2000 mattress. We called TP and were told to place a heating blanket on top of the mattress for an hour every night before we went to bed. Not kidding! But thanks to the 90-day trial period, we were able to exchange it for the TP cloud (with a $175 shipping fee). I really hope this mattress works out for us and would love to hear some good reviews for reassurance that it will improve if we are not initially pleased. Please continue to update your experiences with the mattress. I will do the same once ours arrives.
This message was modified Dec 22, 2010 by mandapb89
Reply #59 Jan 6, 2011 1:05 PM
I'll get back to you in a couple of weeks with a first hand report.  We just purchased the Tempurpedic Could Supreme with adjustable base and it will be delivered next week.  I cannot wait.  We've tried everything to find relief and hopefully this is it.  I never wanted a tempurpedic bed until I tried this one and I think the adjustable base is the secret.  A flat bed is frustration from one end to the other because I need a ton of pillows to get a comfortable position.  With the adjustable bed the minute I laid down I was not wowed but when I inclined the head and feet just a little it made a world of difference in the comfort level and it was shear love.  The true test is sleeping on it night after night.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I almost went with Select Comfort but the reviews are terrible as a whole so I didn't want to chance it.  I'll report back soon!  The Luxe is hard the Supreme is totally different.
Reply #60 Jan 6, 2011 7:39 PM
If an adjustable base is really the "secret" then the Tempur-pedic adjustable base is a really expensive way to go. The Reverie (which they use) is available for much less (over $700 less in a queen from their website prices) at other outlets. Other brands with similar functions could save you even more.

Phoenix

This message was modified Jan 6, 2011 by Phoenix
Reply #61 Mar 5, 2011 2:12 PM
I have the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe - almost 3 weeeks now -  and I can't say that I love it.  I don't know if it is too soft for me - feels good initially - but I wake up with low back and hip pain.  I had the same pain on a 15 year old inner spring mattress but I think it is worse on the Cloud.  I was hoping to find a mattress to alleviate it, not aggravate it!  I have a 90 day trial period so I hope it "breaks in" for me.  Otherwise, it is going back.
Reply #62 Oct 5, 2011 12:26 PM
- how did this post get bumped to top of heap if last post was in March? -

To the OP and poster above, Cloud Luxe is a very plush, soft mattress.  The ones I tried at Sleep Train remind an awful lot of my iComfort Revolution - Lay there and can feel how much the mattress goes down under your butt.  Not necessarily the mattresses fault, just not right mattress for you, wasn't for me.  It led to spine misalignment which came out as stiffness in my neck.  I'd wake up, turn my head, hear scraping and tissues kinda popping in there.  4 weeks and got a replacement, had to.

I've been on the regular Cloud for almost 4 weeks now and my neck is fine.  Impressive mattress it is.  Very few mattresses I can just lay on my right side due to bad shoulder, but I can on this Cloud.  Doesn't sleep hot.  If I enter closed room, can smell a little odor. but in the room, can't smell anything.  It is going away though.  It takes more than a few days to go away as Tempurpedic says.  All told, impressive mattress, especially for those with a tender hip or shoulder.

This message was modified Oct 5, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #63 Feb 22, 2012 8:23 AM
Can't go wrong with one from BedInAbox, got my Pacdown last week and love it!
This message was modified Feb 22, 2012 by a moderator
Reply #64 Feb 26, 2013 11:19 PM
Cloud has been discontinued, but I might as well comment anyway.  It's being replace  by a similar model, I understand.

I bought this matress back in June 2012 becuause my old pillowtop shook so much when my wife moved.  It kept waking me.  We went to the store and the Cloud was the cheapest of the models that felt really good.  It absorbs the movement, too.

We didn't do the bed-walking.  For me, the matress was perfect as is.  It was super comfy for a long time.  Recently (about eight months later), I noticed it was a little softer on my side of the bed where my torso goes, less so where my wife (who weighs less--I am 155, she is 125) lies.  I was alarmed at first, but I don't think it's sag, just softening.  I rotated the mattress, which annoyed my wife because she liked it broken in and experienced it like-new hard a couple of nights.  Then I flipped it back and realized I didn't mind the slightly softer mattress.

If it doesn't get softer, then this will be fine for the next 20 years. :)  If it does, well, I can always flip the mattress around and double the life span.

It's very very comfortable, and I sleep much better now.

I got the adjustable base, by the way, and sleep with head slightly elevated.  It's cool.

Recent Posts