Tempurpedic "Cloud" Mattress???
Dec 30, 2009 10:22 PM
Has anyone tested the new Tempurpedic Cloud series yet?  It looks like a slightly softer version of the Deluxe series, which is the one we were originally favoring.  The reasons we're leaning towards a memory foam mattress are:

1.  Our last two pillow top mattresses have been busts, as I have a bad back and constantly wake up in pain.

2.  Because I wake up in pain, I am constantly tossing and turning, which in turn wakes my wife up.

3.  90 day trial period is a great way to hedge your investment

Re: Tempurpedic "Cloud" Mattress???
Reply #4 Jan 11, 2010 10:32 PM
this is good advice Jim, but I would just like to add that if you buy one of these.  always ask the sales person how long the floor model has been on display.  its something I talk about with all my customers, because if I had someone laying on a bed that was already 6 months old I want them to know when they get their new bed that it will be significantly firmer than the showroom model but will soften up to eventually feel the same.  or like Jim said that if they are looking at a very fresh sample that they are made aware it will become softer with use.
Reply #5 Jan 13, 2010 8:51 AM
i am returning bellfina for costco latex, but, the last two nights on it after 6 weeks were wonderful

the first 40 days were miserable, so now more confused than ever
Reply #6 Jan 13, 2010 12:47 PM
If you are looking for a good night's sleep, proper sleep posture is everything. Your mattress should help you obtain the proper posture for your position.
Almost all Tempur-pedic's will be firm right now due to the low temperatures experienced during distribution and warehousing.
Reply #7 Jan 18, 2010 3:10 PM
We just bought one of these beds last night and will be delivered on Tuesday.  I'll be sure to post my results of the bed during my 100 day sleep trial.
Reply #8 Jan 18, 2010 9:20 PM
Thanks, looking forward to hearing your review of it.
Reply #9 Jan 18, 2010 9:57 PM
I have the Tempur-pedic Cloud. Here is my opinion (Sorry for the length, but I want to be as accurate as possible)

I had an Englander Latex mattress for 17 yrs with no problems. I have fibromyalgia which, until an unrelated surgery and drop of 20 lbs., was never a problem on the old mattress. Over the last year I regained 15lbs, now I weigh 128lbs. Apparently I didn’t gain any of the weight back on my hips where most of my problems reside. I am a side sleeper, 60 yrs. old, and now very bony in the shoulders and especially the hips.

First I bought a new Englander Nature’s Finest Latex. The 3 weeks I spent on that were miserable. Numb hips and thighs and then shoulders… felt like a pro boxer was beating up through the night. Kept waking up with red sore spots over hip bones. Bought a three inch memory foam topper, only to find that 2.5 density foam doesn’t really do the trick. My son needed a new mattress badly so the new Englander went to he and his wife.

Okay on to the Tempur Cloud:

On Dec 21 I went to Sleep Train and laid on the Tempur-Cloud for a full 45 min. Sat up with pillows behind me for another 20 min. to be sure it was comfortable for TV watching, (and to be sure my butt didn’t go to sleep as it did on the Englander). It felt very comfortable, so I took the plunge and bought it.

The salesman gave me a TP Comfort pillow to take home with me. When I opened the pillow I DID notice the odor, but it wasn’t anything near what I read about. I have to say I had anticipated the same awful smell as “foam toppers” I had tried, but it’s not anything like those. After rolling it up and mushing it around to soften it, I had no problem sleeping on it. Just a whiff or two of “new smell” during the night. A week later and the pillow WAS great with no odor. I have since found it made my neck hurt so I quit using it.

On Dec 28 my TP Cloud was delivered.

1st night, after airing out the mattress for 7 hrs., it felt a little firm and cold. But it was 50° here and I don’t think it had fully warmed up to room temp yet. Sleep Train gave me a mattress protector (not a Tempur-pedic brand), and it fit the bed perfectly, but felt scratchy even through the jersey bottom sheet. I also think it made the mattress feel a little firmer and hotter. BTW, I absolutely love the cover on this mattress.

2nd night, (after I took off the mattress protector), the mattress was much softer, though still not as soft as the one in the store, but a good 25% softer than night one. It did smell stronger this second night, and I was afraid it would never go away.

After 5 nights my mattress no longer had any odor and was the most comfortable bed ever! My hips quit hurting after 3 nights and I was just too happy. This lasted for all of a week.

Last night was three weeks of sleeping on my Cloud. My hips and shoulders, are aching again, but not nearly as significantly as on previous beds. The Cloud has softened. It has softened ALOT! We keep the house at 68° to 70°, so I can't imagine how soft this will be in summer when the house is at around 78°.

I know I'm saying the bed is soft, but at the same time it also feels firmer and harder on pressure points then it did 3 wks ago ... as if I'm now "bottoming out" onto the firmer core material, yet surrounded by softer foam. Best way I can describe it is imagine a few marshmallows held between your fingers. If you squeeze your fingers together softly, the marshmallows compact, the more times you squeeze the more they compact until you can feel your fingers meet through them. I'm a side sleeper, so this is only in the shoulder and hip area. BUT, now in addition to the other pains, for the first time ever I have lower back pain, and neck pain even with the use of a soft thin pillow, so I'm thinking the mattress is losing support and my bony areas are sinking in deeper than the rest of me.

As to it sleeping hot, I'm using jersey sheets and right now no mattress protector (though I have ordered the TP protector and am waiting for it to arrive), and I don't find this mattress any hotter than the latex foam beds I've always had. That may change with the TP protector, but TP claims it won't.

The Tempur-Cloud Supreme, IMHO is PLUSH! It doesn’t feel as if you’re sinking into it like the Deluxe does. I don’t get that “my mattress wraps around me”, or “sleeping in sand” feel at all, but If you've got any type of back problem this mattress may be too soft for you.

Sleep Train gives a 100 night money refunded or one time exchange guaranty, and I really, really, REALLY want to love this bed, so I'm giving it the full time before making a final decision.

If you have any questions I'll try to answer them, otherwise I will update if things change either way.

Hope this helps someone,

Natalie

This message was modified Jan 18, 2010 by Natalia
Reply #10 Jan 19, 2010 2:41 AM
thanks for the review Natalia!

Id have to say that if you are noticebly more comfortable than you were on the other mattresses that this is a good sign.  Perhaps this will continue to improve over time, it is normal to go through some adjustment period on a Tempur-Pedic. 
Reply #11 Jan 19, 2010 10:38 AM
Natalia - thank you for the review!  I am so confused as I have sat on and layed on the mattress in the store several times but just don't know about sleeping on it.  I suffer from low back problems and I am just afraid of it aggrevating it more.  I will continue to monitor this thread as I continue my search to finding the right mattress.
Reply #12 Jan 20, 2010 12:35 AM
We just received this bed on Saturday.   The bed feels great and I have only experienced a little pain in my shoulders.   I assume this will get better during the first 90 days.

This is our 5th mattress in 2 years.   No luck with two Simmons Beautyrest and two Sealy Posterpedic mattresses.  We hope this is the one.   I will repost in a few weeks.
Reply #13 Jan 20, 2010 11:31 AM
Received Mattress yesterday, it does have smell, but not very strong, the pillows were worse.  We are letting it air out for two days before we start using it to sleep on.  Will post more latter.

Recent Posts