Serta iComfort Revolution memory foam set - my experience
Jul 15, 2011 3:40 PM
I just wanted to start another thread because there are some claims in the 'request for advice' thread that I have not found to be the case.

My iComfort Revolution is on the matching box spring, not adjustable base. I've tried the Revolution in 3 Sears stores for quite some time before purchasing.  Mine feels virtually the same as all 3 in the stores.

The Revolution is not a 'firm' bed.  Even Serta lists it as a Plush.  It is a very plush bed with quite of bit of give in the top layers of memory foam.

There were some comments of a 'strong odor' coming from new iComforts.  I can tell you for sure, there is no strong odor whatsoever from mine.  I smelled the slightest whisp of smell from the mattress, I think.  It's that faint. Less than two days after getting it, I cannot smell a thing from it.

As for 'sleeping hot' issues.  I have slept 2 nights in the bed.  I've been wearing shorts with sheet and comforter in the bed.  The house is about  65 at night.  I'm not too hot in the bed (edit - see below).  It might be a little warmer than the S&F conventional I just had, but I do mean only a little.

Only time will tell about durability - whether or not the foam keeps its support, but so far, the support is fine.

There was a claim that iComfort had something to do with Sleep Innovations.  Although it may use a similar foam to a Costco/Novaform/Sleep Innovations product, the iComfort law tag states the mattress is mfrd. by Serta in Moreno Valley, CA.

This message was modified Jul 19, 2011 by slpngoc
Re: Serta iComfort Revolution memory foam set - my experience
Reply #3 Jul 17, 2011 4:30 PM
What's the room temp?

I just tried the iComfort Revolution & Insight for the 10th time. This time the store also had the Tempur-Pedic Rhapsody & Cloud Supreme so I could really compare. I have to say that I felt like I was in a hammock on both iComforts. I'm not a big guy either @ 130 lbs.

Reply #4 Jul 18, 2011 12:17 PM
tompa wrote:

What's the room temp?

I just tried the iComfort Revolution & Insight for the 10th time. This time the store also had the Tempur-Pedic Rhapsody & Cloud Supreme so I could really compare. I have to say that I felt like I was in a hammock on both iComforts. I'm not a big guy either @ 130 lbs.

Room temp is pretty close to 65 F.  We don't have A/C.  I think most don't have it near the SF Bay.  Bay is about 3 miles West of here.

Sorry about your experience.

I am 6'2" tall and about 195 lbs.  I'm not having any neck or backaches after 5 nights on the Revolution.  It's a plush mattress and I sink into it somewhat, but the support is there for me.

I always felt like the support was there on the Insight, but it is a little firmer, so I skipped it.  Genius is most firm.

Keep in mind the Rhapsody is in Tempurpedic's HD line.  Rhapsody feels quite a bit firmer and dense to me than a iComfort Revolution. 

I thought the Cloud Luxe felt similar to a Revolution, but hard to remember as this hot brunette saleslady was talking to me the whole time I was trying the Cloud :)  I recall the Cloud Supreme is somewhat firmer than Revolution.

This message was modified Jul 18, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #5 Jul 18, 2011 12:22 PM
I looked at some quilts yesterday at Sears and realized they are much thinner than my beefy comforter.  So I slept with just a top sheet and thin blanket and was much better temp wise.  I can still say the Revolution is a little warmer than a conventional.  I hope it works out in hotter weather.

It's a pretty good mattress.  It's as supportive as the Stearns and Foster I had and more pressure relieving too. 

In the other thread someone mentioned a stinky Insight mattress when new.  My Revolution sure was not stinky.  I stuck my nose right up to it and didn't smell anything.

Reply #6 Jul 19, 2011 11:41 AM
Argh!  It is night 6.  I'm sleeping with only a top sheet and a thin quilt, our house heater is off the whole night, it's about 56 F overnight and overcast outside (read: cool) ....

and I'm still simmering on the underside in this bed!  Everything contacting the bed surface is too warm!  Definitely not cool!  And I don't feel refreshed this morning.

And to be clear, conventional beds never sleep too hot to me.  The only time things are too hot is when we have a heat wave and the air temperature is too warm in the room to sleep. We don't have A/C and we don't need it. 

I'm already looking at other beds.  Not looking good for Revolution at this point.  Sort of a shame because it is more pressure relieving than the S&F plush I exchanged for it.  But if the warm thing keeps happening, I'll likely be going for a refund in a week. 

So, I need to start looking for the next bed.

Argh!

This message was modified Jul 19, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #7 Jul 19, 2011 10:43 PM
Slpngoc, thanks for you great review. I am currently in a dilema where I have a warranty reselect pending at my local Jcpenny. Now they mainly have Pillowtops and then the iComfort Revolution. I know not to go with a pillowtop and they really do not have decent non Pillowtops. Now today I was informed that the iComfort comes with a 120 days comfort guarantee and if not happy I get my money back and not be forced to reselect. Not sure on this, I would have to see this in writing first.  Will see what to do.  Thanks again
Reply #8 Jul 21, 2011 1:03 PM
Well, the sleeping warmer has become less of an issue, but there is a bigger issue than will likely become a knockout factor ...

I can't breathe very well in this bed.  It's 4 3/4" of memory foam - 2 3/4" of gel infused and 2" of 'Kool Komfort' memory foam.  I'm sinking in too much.  I weigh 195 lbs and 6'2" tall.

This message was modified Jul 21, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #9 Jul 21, 2011 5:17 PM
slpngoc wrote:

Well, the sleeping warmer has become less of an issue, but there is a bigger issue than will likely become a knockout factor ...

I can't breathe very well in this bed.  I can only take shallow breaths.  I sink pretty far into the bed, so my back is probably tweaked which makes it hard to breathe.

Only had it a week, so plenty of time to return it. 

Reply #10 Jul 23, 2011 10:48 AM
I'm a little confused about this mattress ....

This morning I was sleeping with my knees up (more fetal position) and the mattress felt pretty good.  Enough support and breathing was decent.  My back feels better this morning.

But last night I crawled into bed and stretched out on my side.  Felt myself sinking down and thought, ah man, need to go to the couch.

So, I'm a little confused. 

One good thing is this mattress is very pressure relieving.  I can spend much more time on my right shoulder than my plush conventional mattress. 

So, I just need to have another mattress picked out.  Meanwhile I ought to give this Revolution more time.  It's so different.  I hope I'm figuring it out.

Reply #11 Jul 25, 2011 8:49 PM
Sears has now come back and said that an exchange mattress is non-refundable.  A few mattress sales associates and a customer serv. rep did say a mattress you get as an exchange would be refundable with their 15% fee.  Obviously, they don't all know their policies.

Last time I'll buy a mattress from Sears.

This message was modified Jul 25, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #12 Jul 26, 2011 2:20 AM
Did you receive any paperwork explaining the warranty when you purchased the mattress?  Do they have a written return policy somewhere online?  Otherwise, it's your word against theirs.

Recent Posts