Serta iComfort Revolution memory foam set - my experience
Jul 15, 2011 3:40 PM
I just wanted to start another thread because there are some claims in the 'request for advice' thread that I have not found to be the case.

My iComfort Revolution is on the matching box spring, not adjustable base. I've tried the Revolution in 3 Sears stores for quite some time before purchasing.  Mine feels virtually the same as all 3 in the stores.

The Revolution is not a 'firm' bed.  Even Serta lists it as a Plush.  It is a very plush bed with quite of bit of give in the top layers of memory foam.

There were some comments of a 'strong odor' coming from new iComforts.  I can tell you for sure, there is no strong odor whatsoever from mine.  I smelled the slightest whisp of smell from the mattress, I think.  It's that faint. Less than two days after getting it, I cannot smell a thing from it.

As for 'sleeping hot' issues.  I have slept 2 nights in the bed.  I've been wearing shorts with sheet and comforter in the bed.  The house is about  65 at night.  I'm not too hot in the bed (edit - see below).  It might be a little warmer than the S&F conventional I just had, but I do mean only a little.

Only time will tell about durability - whether or not the foam keeps its support, but so far, the support is fine.

There was a claim that iComfort had something to do with Sleep Innovations.  Although it may use a similar foam to a Costco/Novaform/Sleep Innovations product, the iComfort law tag states the mattress is mfrd. by Serta in Moreno Valley, CA.

This message was modified Jul 19, 2011 by slpngoc
Re: Serta iComfort Revolution memory foam set - my experience
Reply #1 Jul 16, 2011 4:17 PM
I was using a king size pillow as a body pillow and I had to ditch it during the night - I was getting too warm.  Without it I didn't notice being too warm.
Reply #2 Jul 17, 2011 2:20 PM
Oh boy.  I woke up at 4am and noticed I was definitely too warm in the bed.  This is unusual.  Was using the same comforter and top sheet, and I never woke up to warm in the traditional Stearns and Foster mattress.

So, I kicked off the comforter, but it sucks only sleeping with a top sheet.  Got up, took the protect-a-bed off.  Not an issue, felt same without it.  Opened window more.  Later on took comforter off and put a light blanket on. 

I ate too much ice cream (darn Ben & Jerry's) after 6pm last night.  Could be part of the problem.

We're having cool weather too.  Overcast every night since I got the bed 4 nights ago.  What's going to happen when we have hot weather?  No A/C here, and I wouldn't want to waster energy compensating for a too hot mattress anyway.

I'll keep going on it, but I'm skeptical now.  No other issues, just too warm last night and also too warm using body pillow night before. 

This message was modified Jul 17, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #3 Jul 17, 2011 4:30 PM
What's the room temp?

I just tried the iComfort Revolution & Insight for the 10th time. This time the store also had the Tempur-Pedic Rhapsody & Cloud Supreme so I could really compare. I have to say that I felt like I was in a hammock on both iComforts. I'm not a big guy either @ 130 lbs.

Reply #4 Jul 18, 2011 12:17 PM
tompa wrote:

What's the room temp?

I just tried the iComfort Revolution & Insight for the 10th time. This time the store also had the Tempur-Pedic Rhapsody & Cloud Supreme so I could really compare. I have to say that I felt like I was in a hammock on both iComforts. I'm not a big guy either @ 130 lbs.

Room temp is pretty close to 65 F.  We don't have A/C.  I think most don't have it near the SF Bay.  Bay is about 3 miles West of here.

Sorry about your experience.

I am 6'2" tall and about 195 lbs.  I'm not having any neck or backaches after 5 nights on the Revolution.  It's a plush mattress and I sink into it somewhat, but the support is there for me.

I always felt like the support was there on the Insight, but it is a little firmer, so I skipped it.  Genius is most firm.

Keep in mind the Rhapsody is in Tempurpedic's HD line.  Rhapsody feels quite a bit firmer and dense to me than a iComfort Revolution. 

I thought the Cloud Luxe felt similar to a Revolution, but hard to remember as this hot brunette saleslady was talking to me the whole time I was trying the Cloud :)  I recall the Cloud Supreme is somewhat firmer than Revolution.

This message was modified Jul 18, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #5 Jul 18, 2011 12:22 PM
I looked at some quilts yesterday at Sears and realized they are much thinner than my beefy comforter.  So I slept with just a top sheet and thin blanket and was much better temp wise.  I can still say the Revolution is a little warmer than a conventional.  I hope it works out in hotter weather.

It's a pretty good mattress.  It's as supportive as the Stearns and Foster I had and more pressure relieving too. 

In the other thread someone mentioned a stinky Insight mattress when new.  My Revolution sure was not stinky.  I stuck my nose right up to it and didn't smell anything.

Reply #6 Jul 19, 2011 11:41 AM
Argh!  It is night 6.  I'm sleeping with only a top sheet and a thin quilt, our house heater is off the whole night, it's about 56 F overnight and overcast outside (read: cool) ....

and I'm still simmering on the underside in this bed!  Everything contacting the bed surface is too warm!  Definitely not cool!  And I don't feel refreshed this morning.

And to be clear, conventional beds never sleep too hot to me.  The only time things are too hot is when we have a heat wave and the air temperature is too warm in the room to sleep. We don't have A/C and we don't need it. 

I'm already looking at other beds.  Not looking good for Revolution at this point.  Sort of a shame because it is more pressure relieving than the S&F plush I exchanged for it.  But if the warm thing keeps happening, I'll likely be going for a refund in a week. 

So, I need to start looking for the next bed.

Argh!

This message was modified Jul 19, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #7 Jul 19, 2011 10:43 PM
Slpngoc, thanks for you great review. I am currently in a dilema where I have a warranty reselect pending at my local Jcpenny. Now they mainly have Pillowtops and then the iComfort Revolution. I know not to go with a pillowtop and they really do not have decent non Pillowtops. Now today I was informed that the iComfort comes with a 120 days comfort guarantee and if not happy I get my money back and not be forced to reselect. Not sure on this, I would have to see this in writing first.  Will see what to do.  Thanks again
Reply #8 Jul 21, 2011 1:03 PM
Well, the sleeping warmer has become less of an issue, but there is a bigger issue than will likely become a knockout factor ...

I can't breathe very well in this bed.  It's 4 3/4" of memory foam - 2 3/4" of gel infused and 2" of 'Kool Komfort' memory foam.  I'm sinking in too much.  I weigh 195 lbs and 6'2" tall.

This message was modified Jul 21, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #9 Jul 21, 2011 5:17 PM
slpngoc wrote:

Well, the sleeping warmer has become less of an issue, but there is a bigger issue than will likely become a knockout factor ...

I can't breathe very well in this bed.  I can only take shallow breaths.  I sink pretty far into the bed, so my back is probably tweaked which makes it hard to breathe.

Only had it a week, so plenty of time to return it. 

Reply #10 Jul 23, 2011 10:48 AM
I'm a little confused about this mattress ....

This morning I was sleeping with my knees up (more fetal position) and the mattress felt pretty good.  Enough support and breathing was decent.  My back feels better this morning.

But last night I crawled into bed and stretched out on my side.  Felt myself sinking down and thought, ah man, need to go to the couch.

So, I'm a little confused. 

One good thing is this mattress is very pressure relieving.  I can spend much more time on my right shoulder than my plush conventional mattress. 

So, I just need to have another mattress picked out.  Meanwhile I ought to give this Revolution more time.  It's so different.  I hope I'm figuring it out.

Recent Posts