PU/Latex/Memory Foam Mattress
Oct 28, 2007 7:19 PM
Has anyone put together a mattress with PU base, latex in the middle, and memory foam on top? I was laying on a Simmons ComforPedic the other day with this configuration. It felt like Temperpedic support laying in it, but it didn’t have that hard feel when you roll over or sit on it – it actually had a little spring to it. When I was looking at it in a showroom, I was able to see some of the specs on the sheet the sales person was holding:

Top layer: 4.5” 5.5lb memory foam – ILD unknown, but possibly 2 different foam ILDs (springs back faster than Temperpedic)
    Middle layer: 2" 24 ILD latex (said it was to dissipate heat)
    Bottom: 7" 30 ILD foam (I'm assuming it's PU, but I'm not sure???)

From what I've been reading about foam lately, I thought a combination like this would be too soft, but it was really supportive. After laying in it for awhile, it did seem a lot cooler and more comfortable than a Temperpedic. The price for the above configuration was $4200. Any ideas on putting one together for a lot cheaper?

Re: PU/Latex/Memory Foam Mattress
Reply #10 Oct 30, 2007 1:26 AM
haysdb wrote:
Is there something which leads you to believe they might be?

Their description: "more breathable, faster response"
Reply #11 Oct 30, 2007 1:17 PM
Foam Nerd
donw wrote:
Their description: "more breathable, faster response"

Faster response doesn't really describe Venus, which recovers almost identically to Sensus, which is relatively slow.

It could be Aerus:

Foamex New Breathable Aerus™ 4lb Memory Foam is the cool solution to memory foam.  Aerus with its unique proprietary open-cel construction, allows air to flow through the topper approximately eight times more efficiently than traditional visco elastic.

I have been ultimately frustrated in my attempts at figuring out who's selling what, and was only ever able to get samples of a few different kinds of memory foam. Beyond Tempur, Foamex, and Vita, everything else is "mystery foam."

Reply #12 Oct 30, 2007 1:23 PM
Aerus - that's what I meant to say! It seems like I also saw some mention of a special manufacturing method in a vacuum? And they said it was patented.
Reply #13 Oct 30, 2007 4:01 PM
Foam Nerd
donw wrote:
Aerus - that's what I meant to say! It seems like I also saw some mention of a special manufacturing method in a vacuum? And they said it was patented.

You and me both have trouble NOT saying Venus.

If it's "chamber foam" then it's made by Foamex. They are the only manufacturer in North America with a license to use this patented process.

Reply #14 Oct 30, 2007 7:11 PM
Okay, here's my whack at re-creating this mattress (king size).

Top layer: 4" Aerus from sleepwarehouse, $460

2" 20ILD talalay latex from foambymail $160

5" 35ILD HR foam (2 lb/sq. ft)  from foambymail  $115

It does seem like quite a soft mattress. This one is a little thinner that the one you're looking at, but 11" is plenty thick. The latex is a little softer, and the PU is a little firmer - maybe they would make up for one another.

Read the thread about mattress "cases" for a decent case to shove it all into.

Reply #15 Oct 30, 2007 9:05 PM
Foam Nerd
Conventional wisdom says that's a lot of memory foam. Add 2" of soft latex under that, and you have a really soft mattress. I don't know first hand how that would be to sleep on. 3.5" is about the maximum amount of memory foam I have seen on any mattress. 3" is often recommended for side sleepers, 2" for back sleepers.

I wasn't paying attention, but 5.5 lb memory foam is what FoamByMail is selling. Sensus has occasionally been described as 5.3 lb or even 5.5 lb, but Foamex themselves call it a 5 lb foam.

You don't need 7" of PU foam on the bottom. That's a couple of inches more than you need, unless you just want a thick mattress for aesthetic reasons.

That's my opinion. Few things are carved in stone when it comes to mattresses.
Reply #16 Oct 31, 2007 12:11 AM
Steve, was this (Mystere) the one you were looking at? Did you try the other ones? It looks like they offer different thicknesses of memo foam and latex.
Reply #17 Oct 31, 2007 1:21 AM
Foam Nerd
My guess is that Simmons is using a memory foam that's made specifically for them by Foamex. Foamex already makes a special foam for Sleep-Aid that falls somewhere in between Aerus and Sensus. Foamex has been doing this long enough that they can make about anything a company the size of Simmons would want.

Let me throw out the name Perfection Mattress. The composition of their mattress is not specifically stated on their website, but when I talked to Lee (the owner) some weeks ago, it was 6" of natural Sri Lankan latex with 3" of Venus memory foam. It's the only mattress I know of using Venus foam, and it uses a whopping 3" of it.
Reply #18 Oct 31, 2007 11:02 AM
<BR> donw wrote:
Steve, was this (Mystere) the one you were looking at? Did you try the other ones? It looks like they offer different thicknesses of memo foam and latex.
That's the one. It is a little thicker than than other ones. I think the next one down has 3.5" of memory foam. 4.5" of memory foam seems like way too much, but you don't sink in too far - it's different. Simmons resently bought this line from another company, so it would probably be tough to say where the memory foam comes from.
This message was modified Oct 31, 2007 by steve2u
Reply #19 Oct 31, 2007 12:08 PM
Well, if it was a small company bought by Simmons, then I doubt they had Foamex custom-make a foam. So..

1. 4lb foam

2. Open cell structure

3. Slower than regular memory foam

4. Patented chamber process

= Aerus

Steve, did you try the other (thinner) mattresses? Were they not plush enough?

Recent Posts