PU/Latex/Memory Foam Mattress
Oct 28, 2007 7:19 PM
Has anyone put together a mattress with PU base, latex in the middle, and memory foam on top? I was laying on a Simmons ComforPedic the other day with this configuration. It felt like Temperpedic support laying in it, but it didn’t have that hard feel when you roll over or sit on it – it actually had a little spring to it. When I was looking at it in a showroom, I was able to see some of the specs on the sheet the sales person was holding:

Top layer: 4.5” 5.5lb memory foam – ILD unknown, but possibly 2 different foam ILDs (springs back faster than Temperpedic)
    Middle layer: 2" 24 ILD latex (said it was to dissipate heat)
    Bottom: 7" 30 ILD foam (I'm assuming it's PU, but I'm not sure???)

From what I've been reading about foam lately, I thought a combination like this would be too soft, but it was really supportive. After laying in it for awhile, it did seem a lot cooler and more comfortable than a Temperpedic. The price for the above configuration was $4200. Any ideas on putting one together for a lot cheaper?

Re: PU/Latex/Memory Foam Mattress
Reply #1 Oct 29, 2007 5:41 AM
That whole configuration seems really soft to me. If you're thinking of buying this bed I would recommend lying on it for at least an hour. That may seem extreme but with foam beds-- particularly soft ones-- what feels wonderful initially quickly loses that feeling when muscle fatigue sets in after a few hours of struggling to find support. And while you can always make a firm bed softer there's nothing you can do to firm up a too-soft bed.

On the other hand, if you like a soft bed and are interested in duplicating this one for less money, check out foamorder.com . This is one source for both memory foam, PU or HR foam and latex. They also sell covers to hold it all together. There are others out there. If Hays checks in, he can probably give you a list of all of them.

I don't know what size mattress you are looking for. If it's king you might think about getting a split configuration, as all this foam can be very heavy very limp and very unwieldy to manage.  Also unless you are a big guy, 4.5" of memory foam seems like an awful lot to sink into. Memory foam sleeps hot and the more there is to sink into the warmer you are going to feel. I'd keep it at 2 to 3" of memory foam. Especially over 24 ILD latex which is also pretty soft.

Reply #2 Oct 29, 2007 8:32 AM
I think Simmons designed this one to feel good in the store, and not at home.  My guess is that you get that mattress home, and you will wake up after 8 hours of sleep feeling very sore due to lack of support.

In addition, $4,200 sounds like way too much for a foam bed.  Try foambymail.com for much lower prices.

I agree with cloud9 about split configuration.  At most, get the top layer non-split, but even that is probably not necessary.

Good luck, and let us know what you do.

Reply #3 Oct 29, 2007 8:48 AM
Thanks for your input. The ComforPedic mattress definitely wasn't too soft or too hot when comparing it to the Tempurdic - it was pretty firm. It doesn't make sense to me since ILD is ILD - there shouldn't be a variance like one companies medium to another companies firm. The sales person did claim that ComforPedics memory foam layer breathes better than Temperpdic...and it did seem like it after laying on both for about 30 minutes on each. That being said, I still think I would be better off taking the advise of the people on this forum who have slept on foam. I need to do something pretty quick to alleviate this lower back pain - I'm now sleeping along the foot of my king sized Sealy Fenway from Costco since my normal spot has sunk in, but not the 1.5" needed for the warranty.
Reply #4 Oct 29, 2007 9:32 AM
Foam Nerd
steve2u wrote:
It doesn't make sense to me since ILD is ILD - there shouldn't be a variance like one companies medium to another companies firm.

You would think so, but I'm not convinced it's true. Based on what I have been told by some people who should know, and some large samples of various kinds of foam that I have, polyerethane foam feels firmer for a given ILD than does latex. I cannot explain this because the ILD's are measured in exactly the same way.

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with a support base of Urethane foam. There is a bias against PU foam here, and for some good reasons, but it can be used effectively. One of the problems is, there is el-cheapo PU foam, with a 1.6-1.8 lb density, there is a better quality 2.2-2.4 lb foam, and then there are some high quality ~3.0 lb foams. If you don't know which it is, that's a problem, because the lighter foam would tend to break down sooner than the more dense foam.

That's a whole lotta money for a mattress.
Reply #5 Oct 29, 2007 10:20 AM
haysdb wrote:
That's a whole lotta money for a mattress.<br type="_moz"/>

Paying that much is not even an option, but I would like to try to create something with the same feel.
Reply #6 Oct 29, 2007 1:40 PM
Here's a link with a little discription of the ComforPedic from my local retailer:

http://www.mattressgiant.com/default.aspx?n=69&shop=store&perpage=18&category=MFLX&model=990626
Reply #7 Oct 29, 2007 5:17 PM
I wonder if Simmons is using Venus foam.
Reply #8 Oct 29, 2007 6:06 PM
Foam Nerd
donw wrote:
I wonder if Simmons is using Venus foam.

Is there something which leads you to believe they might be?
Reply #9 Oct 29, 2007 10:20 PM
I have to agree about the HR polyurethane base. You're correct in stating that the density is important. And, when you look at high density upholstery foam, for instance, think of how well it holds up over time. We've had our couch and loveseat for 13+ years and there's nary a dent or sag in the foam. Of course, we wouldn't want to sleep on something so firm. But, i also wouldn't care to sleep on the low density, cheaper stuff, either. And, believe me, I have! :)

haysdb wrote:
I personally don't think there is anything wrong with a support base of Urethane foam. There is a bias against PU foam here, and for some good reasons, but it can be used effectively. One of the problems is, there is el-cheapo PU foam, with a 1.6-1.8 lb density, there is a better quality 2.2-2.4 lb foam, and then there are some high quality ~3.0 lb foams. If you don't know which it is, that's a problem, because the lighter foam would tend to break down sooner than the more dense foam.<BR><BR>That's a whole lotta money for a mattress.<br type="_moz"/>
Reply #10 Oct 30, 2007 1:26 AM
haysdb wrote:
Is there something which leads you to believe they might be?

Their description: "more breathable, faster response"
Reply #11 Oct 30, 2007 1:17 PM
Foam Nerd
donw wrote:
Their description: "more breathable, faster response"

Faster response doesn't really describe Venus, which recovers almost identically to Sensus, which is relatively slow.

It could be Aerus:

Foamex New Breathable Aerus™ 4lb Memory Foam is the cool solution to memory foam.  Aerus with its unique proprietary open-cel construction, allows air to flow through the topper approximately eight times more efficiently than traditional visco elastic.

I have been ultimately frustrated in my attempts at figuring out who's selling what, and was only ever able to get samples of a few different kinds of memory foam. Beyond Tempur, Foamex, and Vita, everything else is "mystery foam."

Reply #12 Oct 30, 2007 1:23 PM
Aerus - that's what I meant to say! It seems like I also saw some mention of a special manufacturing method in a vacuum? And they said it was patented.
Reply #13 Oct 30, 2007 4:01 PM
Foam Nerd
donw wrote:
Aerus - that's what I meant to say! It seems like I also saw some mention of a special manufacturing method in a vacuum? And they said it was patented.

You and me both have trouble NOT saying Venus.

If it's "chamber foam" then it's made by Foamex. They are the only manufacturer in North America with a license to use this patented process.

Reply #14 Oct 30, 2007 7:11 PM
Okay, here's my whack at re-creating this mattress (king size).

Top layer: 4" Aerus from sleepwarehouse, $460

2" 20ILD talalay latex from foambymail $160

5" 35ILD HR foam (2 lb/sq. ft)  from foambymail  $115

It does seem like quite a soft mattress. This one is a little thinner that the one you're looking at, but 11" is plenty thick. The latex is a little softer, and the PU is a little firmer - maybe they would make up for one another.

Read the thread about mattress "cases" for a decent case to shove it all into.

Reply #15 Oct 30, 2007 9:05 PM
Foam Nerd
Conventional wisdom says that's a lot of memory foam. Add 2" of soft latex under that, and you have a really soft mattress. I don't know first hand how that would be to sleep on. 3.5" is about the maximum amount of memory foam I have seen on any mattress. 3" is often recommended for side sleepers, 2" for back sleepers.

I wasn't paying attention, but 5.5 lb memory foam is what FoamByMail is selling. Sensus has occasionally been described as 5.3 lb or even 5.5 lb, but Foamex themselves call it a 5 lb foam.

You don't need 7" of PU foam on the bottom. That's a couple of inches more than you need, unless you just want a thick mattress for aesthetic reasons.

That's my opinion. Few things are carved in stone when it comes to mattresses.
Reply #16 Oct 31, 2007 12:11 AM
Steve, was this (Mystere) the one you were looking at? Did you try the other ones? It looks like they offer different thicknesses of memo foam and latex.
Reply #17 Oct 31, 2007 1:21 AM
Foam Nerd
My guess is that Simmons is using a memory foam that's made specifically for them by Foamex. Foamex already makes a special foam for Sleep-Aid that falls somewhere in between Aerus and Sensus. Foamex has been doing this long enough that they can make about anything a company the size of Simmons would want.

Let me throw out the name Perfection Mattress. The composition of their mattress is not specifically stated on their website, but when I talked to Lee (the owner) some weeks ago, it was 6" of natural Sri Lankan latex with 3" of Venus memory foam. It's the only mattress I know of using Venus foam, and it uses a whopping 3" of it.
Reply #18 Oct 31, 2007 11:02 AM
<BR> donw wrote:
Steve, was this (Mystere) the one you were looking at? Did you try the other ones? It looks like they offer different thicknesses of memo foam and latex.
That's the one. It is a little thicker than than other ones. I think the next one down has 3.5" of memory foam. 4.5" of memory foam seems like way too much, but you don't sink in too far - it's different. Simmons resently bought this line from another company, so it would probably be tough to say where the memory foam comes from.
This message was modified Oct 31, 2007 by steve2u
Reply #19 Oct 31, 2007 12:08 PM
Well, if it was a small company bought by Simmons, then I doubt they had Foamex custom-make a foam. So..

1. 4lb foam

2. Open cell structure

3. Slower than regular memory foam

4. Patented chamber process

= Aerus

Steve, did you try the other (thinner) mattresses? Were they not plush enough?

Reply #20 Oct 31, 2007 12:24 PM
donw wrote:
Steve, did you try the other (thinner) mattresses? Were they not plush enough?

I did, and they were fine. I actually need something around 12" for aesthetic reasons. Let's just say it wasn't my idea to buy taller than normal nightstands to complement height of the bed I have now.
Reply #21 Oct 31, 2007 2:07 PM
Foam Nerd
donw wrote:
Well, if it was a small company bought by Simmons, then I doubt they had Foamex custom-make a foam. So..

1. 4lb foam

2. Open cell structure

3. Slower than regular memory foam

4. Patented chamber process

= Aerus

If it's 4 lb foam then I agree.

I don't know how small Comfor-Pedic was in relation to Sleep-Aid, which does sell memory foam custom made for them by Foamex.

3. Did you mean to say Faster?

This message was modified Oct 31, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #22 Oct 31, 2007 2:47 PM
Ooops, I did mean to say faster. Also, now that I look at the original post, it says 5.5lb...so who know.
Reply #23 Oct 31, 2007 4:23 PM
I found this info: Comfor-Pedic™* is a division of I/R Foam, a 60 yr. old company out of Washington. Their mattresses utilize a little over 3 1/2" of memory foam in combination with underlying layers of latex. These mattresses have a feel all their own.

http://www.memory-foam-buyers-guide.org/memory-foam-mattress-pricing.html
Reply #24 Oct 31, 2007 8:31 PM
Foam Nerd
Beware that many if not most of these "buyer's guides" have a hidden agenda of promoting a particular product. On the page you linked, notice how only two brands are mentioned by name, Tempur-Pedic and Comfor-Pedic. On the FAQ page they just happen to mention three features of the Comfor-Pedic product - at least 3.5" of memory foam, edge support, and a latex layer, which deftly eliminates one of the two brands mentioned by name on the other page. The reader is left with one choice - Comfor-Pedic.

According to this link Chuck Harmon, owner of the aformentioned domain name, is a part owner of the Tahoe Mattress Company, which just happens to sell...Comfor-Pedic.

How about this one: whatsthebest-mattress.org - self-proclaimed "The Web's Non-Profit Consumer Advocacy Site". It's nothing more than an ad for SAT beds, equating their name with the "name brand" mattresses" DUX, Boyd, Natura, Tempur-Pedic, Select Comfort.

As consumers we just have to stay one step ahead of this marketing slight-of-hand.
Reply #25 Nov 1, 2007 10:37 AM
Has anyone tried the Foamex Aerus? I didn't notice anything being mentioned about it having faster recovery on their website, but that would be something I want. It also sounds like it offers more support than traditional visco - I wonder if that means you can go thicker without sinking in too far?
This message was modified Nov 1, 2007 by steve2u
Reply #26 Nov 1, 2007 3:37 PM
Foam Nerd
More support?
Reply #27 Nov 2, 2007 3:24 PM
Steve, you're right about Aerus not being advertised as "faster". After researching all these foams, they start to merge together in my mind. I was probably thinking about Isoform. I am very interrrested in this foam, as it is claimed to be "breathable" and "faster remold" than traditional memory foams. Also, it has the best rating on epinions and is more reasonably priced than Aerus. It is also a 5lb foam, compared to Aerus's 4lb. I was really torn between it and foambymail's pink 5.5lb foam. Of course if you read my foambymail thread, you'll see that the foambymail is really a 4lb foam, and may be hot sleeping. I probably should have gone with Isoform.
Reply #28 Nov 3, 2007 8:01 AM
Thanks for the info. I was just about ready to order a 3" Sensus to get my new mattress started, but I think I'll take a little time to read some reviews on the Isoform first.
Reply #29 Nov 4, 2007 2:15 PM
Foam Nerd
Isoform is a memory foam I have been wanting to know more about. Here are my own notes on Bergad Isoform:

Isoform memory foam. "100% American made using American technology and labor". Claim to be "more open than other foams." This is "fast" foam. Not "chamber foam." Bergad mattress rated 4.5 stars on epinions with 130 reviews. Topper rated highly also. Strong smell. Reportedly poor customer service and shipping.
Density: 5.0 to 5.3. ILD: 15-17. Yellow in color.
www.bergad.com is redirected to www.isoform.com

As far as I know, Bergad, the manufacturer, is the only retail source for this foam.

I have been unsuccessful in acquiring a sample.

Edit: I may have a sample of this memory foam, but I don't know for sure.  I have a chunk of foam from "Vitalityweb" but I have no idea who makes it. It's the same yellow color as Isoform, but this doesn't necessarily mean it's Bergad foam. Not every manufacturer has a trademark color, so this may just be what color memory foam is by default.

Edit: Here is an article about how Bergad purchased their own foam making machine in 2003: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/leadertimes/s_117969.html
This message was modified Nov 4, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #30 Nov 4, 2007 3:04 PM
ILD of 15-17. Maybe that's why several of the epinions posts stated that it was a little too firm. Some of those who commented on the "too firm" issue still rated it 5-stars, though.
Reply #31 Nov 6, 2007 9:37 AM
Foam Nerd
I again requested a sample of Isoform memory foam and this time the response was "I would be happy to send you a sample and some information." Maybe they have someone new working in customer service.

Bergad/Isoform is a company that has flown a little bit under the radar and I'm not sure why. They are actually one of a very few "name brands" of memory foam made in the U.S., the others being Foamex/Sensus & Aerus, and Carpenter/Isotonic. Who has heard of Essentia, AdaptaFlex, Viness, Vitality, Vx, or Dual-Peak?
This message was modified Nov 6, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #32 Nov 6, 2007 10:09 AM
Has anybody used foambymail 2.0 lb/ft3 conventional foam mattresses? I think I'm going with 3" Sensus top over 2" of firm latex or Energia (to give it a little spring) over polyurethane foam, but I'm not sure what firmness to go with for the poly (HD36 or Lux), or if I should do two different firmness layers. Any opinions?
Reply #33 Nov 6, 2007 3:41 PM
Steve, I have had no experience wiht foambymail's PU foam, but judging by the way they over-sold their memory foam density, I wonder if it really is 2.0 - it may be 1.5 - who knows. Any way, 1.9 or 2.0 PU is considered a 4-5 year foam - you may want to consider a 2.5 to 3.0 HR (high resiliency) foam. These are more like 10-year foams. Here are a some sources:

PerfectFit is an upholstery supplier, and the foam sizes listed are not quite large enough for a king-size bed, but they say that other sizes are available. Looks like reasonable prices.

Foam On-line does custom sizing, but seems expensive.

Simple-pedic has a price calculator and seems very expensive.

This message was modified Nov 7, 2007 by donw
Reply #34 Nov 8, 2007 1:32 AM
Foam Nerd
FoamByMail's "HQ" foams, HD36-HQ and LUX-HQ, are 2.8 lb foams. The LUX HQ is an ILD 55 and will be VERY firm. I might use 2" of that for a bottom layer but I think an entire core of that would be too firm for the vast majority of people. You have to custom order a size to get it. Their standard mattresses are the 2.0 lb foam.

Energia is nice, if somewhat pricey. It's a very definite step up from a conventional PU foam. It doesn't quite achieve a latex feel, but there is no question it's a high quality foam.

I received a sample of memory foam from IsoForm. Some of the information I had about this foam was wrong. For starters it's a light green in color, not yellow. I would not call this a fast foam. In fact out of all my samples, I'd call it the slowest of the lot. It does have an open cell structure. I would call it a "coarse" cell structure but not with any negative connotation.

This is the first foam I've received that literally freezes into a solid block. All of the Foamex foams, including Sensus and Venus as well as the foams they make for Sleep-Aid and FoamByMail, get firm but do not actually freeze solid. It gets softer and responds more slowly when it's warm, vs. room temperature. I would definitely call this a temperature sensitive foam.

I wish I had a sample of Tempur foam. My guess is that Isoform is very similar to Tempur foam. It's a dense (5.0+) foam that's temperature sensitive, and like Tempur foam, it's a relatively firm foam, as memory foams go. For someone wanting a very traditional memory foam feel, this fits the bill.

I would "rate" FoamByMail and Isoform about the same. This is VERY subjective. The FBM foam recovers just a bit quicker, is less temperature sensitive, and has a finer and more consistent cell structure, but I suspect the Isoform might sleep a bit cooler because of the larger cell structure and higher permeability. That's just my educated guess. Both seem like a good value at around 2/3 the price of Sensus.
This message was modified Nov 8, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #35 Nov 8, 2007 10:55 AM
Thanks again to everyone for the information and taking the time to post.

I did order a 3" Sensus topper from Sleep Warehouse as a start to my new mattress. They were really good about answering questions in a timely matter by email. After a few emails, I decided it would be easier to call to get a price on putting together a custom mattress, but the CS person I talked to couldn't answer my questions and said she would have a mattress specialist call me back...I never heard back. But like I said, their email support has been very good and whoever was replying, new what they were talking about...unlike foambymail. I sent an email to FBM to see if I could order and get a price on their 2.6 - 2.8 lb/ft3 polyurethane without the memory foam attached to it and I received a reply with a link to their 2.0 lb/ft3 mattresses...did they actually read my email???

So, I'll still need to figure out what to put under the Sensus as far as Energia, latex, or polyurethane. I think I'll probably want 2 layers with different ILDs incase one configuration is too soft or too hard. I also want a finished mattress size of 12", so I may need something cheap and extra firm for the bottom layer to make the size. Will a cheap, low density extra firm (possibly hard even) polyurethane last any longer than a a cheap, low density medium polyurethane?
Reply #36 Nov 8, 2007 1:21 PM
Just add it to your cart from here: LUX-HQ and here: HD-36HQ. It looks like they are 2" longer than a king-size bed, but I'd guess that my pink memo foam I ordered from them is almost that. I think you could readily cut it. I'd think about 2" of latex under your 3" Sensus, 3" HD-36HQ, and then 4" LUX-HQ for a total of 12". (Use  3 LUX and 4 inch HD-36, instead to get softer.)
Reply #37 Nov 8, 2007 6:00 PM
steve2u wrote:
 Will a cheap, low density extra firm (possibly hard even) polyurethane last any longer than a a cheap, low density medium polyurethane?

Typically, low density foams don't last very long.
Reply #38 Nov 10, 2007 4:34 PM
I can't believe I didn't see this foambymail page: custom sizes of HQ foam. Man, FBM does have the best prices. I just wish they weren't so squirrely!
Reply #39 Nov 10, 2007 11:40 PM
Comparing FBM's prices for custom sizes to their full sheet prices, it looks like thay charge $37 to cut the 2 extra inches off. I think I would just take a full sheet and cut it down myself.
Reply #40 Nov 11, 2007 9:35 AM
PU foam & memory foam are very easy to cut with an electric kitchen knife.
Reply #41 Nov 11, 2007 10:11 AM
Does anyone have ideas for a inexpensive boxspring style, slat foundation? I'm going to try to return my 2.25 year old mattress (or should I say...hammock) to Costco this week. If they take it, I won't have the option of trying to firm-up the boxsprings. I noticed SleepEZ sells them, but they're a little too expensive for me.
Reply #42 Nov 11, 2007 12:10 PM
Flexible slat foundation video.
Reply #43 Nov 11, 2007 1:22 PM
How about a non-flexible slat foundation, or other style that will work with foam mattresses?
Reply #44 Nov 11, 2007 3:34 PM
Steve, in another thread, this Ikea adjustable slat foundation was suggested as the least expensive alternative. I have no experience with it, but it looks like it would work in a standard king metal frame (which has a support down the middle.) Of course, I'd ask Ikea if it would work. By the way, what foam layers did you order? (And please report back here with results when it all arrives.)
This message was modified Nov 11, 2007 by donw
Reply #45 Nov 11, 2007 4:03 PM
haysdb, did you give your Isoform sample the "blow through" test that you did with Venus? Does it compare?
Reply #46 Nov 11, 2007 9:19 PM
I just ordered a 3" Sensus topper for now - it should be delivered by Tuesday. I'm going to see if Costco will allow me to return my current mattress and box spring before I purchase anything else. If I can't return it, I'll probably use the box spring as my foundation. It seems to be very ridged when I walk on it - there really is no spring to it. I'm still undecided on what layers to go with. I was reading the legacy forum and it sounds like a number of people had a problem with sinking into latex too far and that seems to be the source of my lower back pain now, so that leaves poly foam for my support layers. I'm tossing around the idea of going with FBM 2.0 density foam with the hopes of getting a couple years out of it. I would at least give me some sort of idea what ILD will work for me before I spend too much money on something that doesn't. If I go the FBM route, I'll probably go with a 5" and a 3" layer of 50 ILD and 36 ILD, but I'm not sure what one will be what. I would assume the 50 ILD my be too hard for anything but the very bottom?
Reply #47 Nov 12, 2007 10:37 AM
Foam Nerd
PU and Latex ILD's seem to be different. I cannot explain the discrepancy since the ILD's are measured in exactly the same way, but for a given ILD, PU will be more firm. I have a couple of ILD 55 samples and they are VERY firm. I can't really imagine using this foam anywhere but the bottom layer, and 2" to 3" would seem to be more than enough. Alas, this isn't based on experience, but only my subjective impressions based on some foam samples.

Donw, the sample of Isoform I have is a very open celled foam. Whether this translates into it sleeping cooler than other memory foams I can't say, but intuitively one would expect this to be true.

This foam felt fairly firm when I first got it. Now that it is broken in, I would call it one of the softer memory foams. That's very subjective since my samples are of various thicknesses. This may have a lot to do with how permeable it it. Because air escapes from it so readily, it has a softer feel.

Something else that has changed since it's gotten broken in - it seems to recover quicker now than it did initially. I initially commented that this felt like a very "slow" foam. Initially it recovered similarly to the FoamByMail foam. It's definitely a "Slow Recovery Foam," but it recovers it's shape within about 3 seconds vs. 4 to 5 for the FBM foam. Sensus and Venus are faster still, recovering their full height in about 2 seconds. Sleep-Aid is a 1-second foam. Some cheap "memory foam" I have can't even be called memory foam because it recovers instantly.
This message was modified Nov 12, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #48 Nov 12, 2007 11:09 AM
Haysdb - I guess that info takes care of my indecisiveness. 2" to 3" of the 50 ILD or 55 ILD (depends on what website of Foam Factory you go to - they list different ILDs for the same stuff) and 5" of the 36 ILD on that. That will give me a little room in a 12" cover to fit a latex layer if I feel the need for a little more cushion. Would you consider this configuration to be firm enough with good support, yet be comfortable...obviously "comfortable" is subjective.

When stacking all this foam, can I expect my finished thickness of the mattress to be less because of the weight of the upper layers of foam compressing the lower layers? Should I shoot for a 13" size to fit in a 12" case?
Reply #49 Nov 12, 2007 1:45 PM
Does anyone know of a good price on a 12" King cover that zippers around at least three sides. The one I was previously looking at on eBay is no longer available. It was only $35 too.
Reply #50 Nov 12, 2007 4:12 PM
Steve, I think you are on the right track, leaving room for a 1" layer of 20ILD latex. If it works the way it is, then you're done, but if you need softer, you could always add it. Most of the support issues people have had with latex have been with 100% latex. Since you can't get soft PU foam with high density, it makes sense to use latex for the comfort layers and dense PU for the base layers. I would still consider the more dense (HQ) foam for the base layers - it's maybe $160 more? And it'll last 15 years or so.
Reply #51 Nov 12, 2007 4:32 PM
steve2u wrote:
When stacking all this foam, can I expect my finished thickness of the mattress to be less because of the weight of the upper layers of foam compressing the lower layers? Should I shoot for a 13" size to fit in a 12" case?

No & No.
Reply #52 Nov 12, 2007 5:00 PM
What if I went with a 2" layer of latex instead of 1", would I want a higher ILD of 32 like FBM sells? I would think 2" of 20 ILD with a 3" Sensus topper may allow a little too much sinking in? I'm open to opinions on this since I've never slept on any of these layers.

Maybe this configuration:

3" Sensus
2" Latex 32 ILD
5" 36 PU
2" 55 PU
Reply #53 Nov 13, 2007 12:56 AM
Steve, I wish I could help you. You may not believe this, but I've been racking my brains trying to design the perfect inexpensive memo/latex/PU mattress, and I am pretty much out of the market now (it's just been haunting me for some reason!) I wish FMB made a 25ILD or so, or that their 1" 20 and 32 didn't feel so much alike (see haysdb's experience with those.) Sensus is supposed to be pretty soft, yet supportive. I'd think about getting the cover after you've tried the first few layers you order - that way you have a choice of added thickness.
Reply #54 Nov 13, 2007 6:55 AM
I'll probably just start with the PU and go from there. I did find a forum last night on fatwallet.com that talks a lot about FBM poly - it sounds like the 36 ILD is pretty firm. Maybe I'll look somewhere other than FBM if I want to add latex.
Reply #55 Nov 13, 2007 8:15 AM
Why don't you try to get some samples of each kind of foam you are interested in?  That would probably answer a lot of your questions about firmness.
Reply #56 Nov 13, 2007 9:09 AM
I have feeling that I could feel the foam all I want, but wouldn't have a good idea how it would work for me without laying on it. That's part of the reason I will possibly go with the 2.0 density. If it seems to work well for a few months, I'll upgrade it and use the old foam to make a couple dog beds and seat cushions for my POS office chair (my boss is cheap). It will only set me back $170 - seems like a small price to pay to figure out if foam will even work for me.

I did receive this reply from Costco on my current mattress:
We do guarantee your satisfaction 100% for the mattresses we sell. Costco.com is not able to advise or assist with a purchase made from the stores. Please contact the Costco Wholesale location nearest you for additional assistance with this return.

Does anyone have more ideas for a foundation that's about the same thickness as a box spring. I'm assuming Costco will wan't the box springs back too.
Reply #57 Nov 13, 2007 12:06 PM
Good Lord...I changed my mind again.

I'm going with 4" of LUX HQ, 3" of HD36 HQ, 3" Sensus...that's my final answer! This will give me 2" to play around with in a 12" cover. I'm not sure that the LUX will really come into play with when I get 8" of foam above it. I'm going to order it tonight before I have a chance to change my mind. Does anyone think a 2” layer of latex or eggcrate foam really helps to dissipate heat underneath the memory foam?

Thanks again for your help and opinions.
Reply #58 Nov 13, 2007 9:19 PM
Foam Nerd
Steve2u, that sounds perfectly reasonable. 4" may be an inch more than you need for the bottom layer, but if you are targeting a 12" finished height, adding an inch of "filler" there makes sense.

I have no idea whether the samples I have are representative or typical, but the ILD 34 "Firm" I have is pretty firm. Subjectively considerably more so than my ILD 38 (as tested) latex. I have a block of 3.0 lb ILD 26 labeled "medium firm" and I would not be afraid of using that in the middle of a mattress. The ILD 44 "Ex Firm" is bottom layer only stuff. My samples are large blocks about 8"x6"x4". If I place my palms in the two sides of the 44 and press them together with all my strength, I can compress the foam only about one inch.

However, if you have left youself 2" to play with, going too firm on the support layers should not be a fatal decision.

I have a 5.6" ILD 38 (as measured at the factory) talalay latex core, 1" of 32, and 1" of 20. This is very firm and plenty supportive for my 240 lbs. I am adding 2" of memory foam in place of one of the 1" layers of latex to try to soften things up a bit on top.

My 3.0 lb foam is from FoamOnline. I also have small samples of V34, V44, V90 from FoamOrder.
Reply #59 Nov 13, 2007 10:27 PM

haysdb, which memo foam are you trying?

I thought I'd throw out some foam mattress ideas I've had.

how about:

2" Isoform

2" FBM 20 ILD latex

3" FBM 36 HQ PU

3" FBM LUX HQ PU

or

2" FBM "5.5lb" (really 4lb) memo foam

1"FBM 20 ILD latex

1"FBM 32 ILD latex

4" FBM 36 HQ PU

2" FBM LUX HQ PU

This message was modified Nov 13, 2007 by donw
Reply #60 Nov 14, 2007 2:46 AM
Foam Nerd
donw wrote:
haysdb, which memo foam are you trying?
I thought I'd throw out some foam mattress ideas I've had.
how about:
2" Isoform
2" FBM 20 ILD latex
3" FBM 36 HQ PU
3" FBM LUX HQ PU
 or
2" FBM "5.5lb" (really 4lb) memo foam
1"FBM 20 ILD latex
1"FBM 32 ILD latex
4" FBM 36 HQ PU
2" FBM LUX HQ PU

I'm considering the Isoform memory foam, but I am concerned at how firm it gets when the temperature drops. Because I will not be laying directly on the memory foam, I need a foam that is not temperature sensitive. Isoform becomes a brick after 10 minutes in the refrigerator. None of the other foams I have get that stiff when left in the FREEZER overnight. OTOH, the coolest my bedroom will ever get is about 64 degrees.

I have been conditioned to believe that one measure of the "quality" of a memory foam is a fine and consistent cell structure. This is a characteristic of all of Foamex' foams, and their VPF (vacuum chamber) foams in particular. The other sample I have with a coarse cell structure is garbage. Turns out that's not fair as the Isoform has numerous large cells giving it a rather coarse texture, but it has a soft "hand" and a "luxurious" feel.

Something I like about this foam is that you can crush the crap put of it, compress it into a little crushed wad, and it recovers fully within a few seconds without a mark. In fact it's like Foamex Venus in that regard. Other foams will show dents and creases for awhile before they fully recover their original state. I honestly don't know what this means or how important it is, but I think it tells me the Isoform is consistent and resilient.

Caveat: This all presumes the samples I have are representative. There is no way for me to know what kind of batch to batch variations there are.
This message was modified Nov 14, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #61 Nov 14, 2007 2:21 PM
haysdb - I noticed you have a review on the Easy Fit Wood Foundation. How has it been holding up? A king would cost me about $200 from the manufacturer. I questioned the manufacturer on it being one piece and that I would be concerned about flex - here's what he said: The foundation is one piece but with our design it makes it stronger than a conventional one piece static foundation. I know I could build one, but for this price it probably wouldn't be worth the time.
This message was modified Nov 14, 2007 by steve2u
Reply #62 Nov 15, 2007 2:07 AM
Foam Nerd
I replaced mine with a flexible slat foundation. The BSA foundation is now a bundle of wood in my living room. I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. It's a Cal King.

For a rigid foundation, the Easy Fit was a screaming bargain. I added some additional slats to reduce the distance between them. It's not a thing of elegant beauty, but it absolutely will do the job. The king comes as three "beams" running head to foot connecting to end beams. The whole thing goes together with 6 carriage bolts. The slats then cover the entire width and a cover stretches tightly over all of it. You might have to dissemble it to move it, but that's not hard is it takes only a wrench to assemble or disassemble and a perfectly adequate one comes in the parts bag.

The issue I had with the rigid foundation is I wasn't getting the hip support I needed from my latex mattress. Rather than try a firmer latex or even zoned latex, I decided to try the Euro slat foundation, which worked out well BTW.

My personal preference is for a two-piece foundation. That's one of the things I did not like about the BSA foundation. They are chintzy on the slats, requiring a trip to the lumberyard for additional slats and new webbing. But it's also very inexpensive, so there are going to be some sacrifices.
This message was modified Nov 15, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #63 Nov 15, 2007 9:04 AM
haysdb - Do you think the slats would be adequate for supporting my firm bottom layer of 50 ILD LUX - it sounds like the foam is pretty hard? I guess is wouldn't be a big deal for me to add more slats if needed. Also, would you recommend going with two Twin XL's? I asked them if it would fit and they replied:

A Twin XL would cost $104.08 each and shipping would be $73. In total it will cost $281.16 compared to $197.21 for the one piece unit.

I'm sure I want a ridged foundation instead of Euro and I'm thinking this price would be tough to beat. If I were to build my own, it would probably be stronger (and a lot heavier), take more wood (estimating $150+ for material) and an entire afternoon. Did the cover on it look okay?

I have to say, Drew Wagar at BSA http://www.boxsa.com/boxspring.html was really good about answering questions and getting me prices fast.

Also, do you realize you have 530 posts? I may have the same by the time I'm done building my bed.
Reply #64 Nov 15, 2007 9:40 AM
Foam Nerd
steve2u wrote:
haysdb - Do you think the slats would be adequate for supporting my firm bottom layer of 50 ILD LUX - it sounds like the foam is pretty hard? I guess is wouldn't be a big deal for me to add more slats if needed. Also, would you recommend going with two Twin XL's? I asked them if it would fit and they replied:

A Twin XL would cost $104.08 each and shipping would be $73. In total it will cost $281.16 compared to $197.21 for the one piece unit.

I'm sure I want a ridged foundation instead of Euro and I'm thinking this price would be tough to beat. If I were to build my own, it would probably be stronger (and a lot heavier), take more wood (estimating $150+ for material) and an entire afternoon. Did the cover on it look okay?

I have to say, Drew Wagar at BSA http://www.boxsa.com/boxspring.html was really good about answering questions and getting me prices fast.

Also, do you realize you have 530 posts? I may have the same by the time I'm done building my bed.

The BSA comes with "corrugated material" (aka cardboard) intended to lay over the top of the slats before the cover is stretched over everything. This is actually perfectly adequate. Unfortunately the cardboard is cleverly used as part of the box and mine got pretty mangled in transport. I would probably have chosen not to use it anyway (it just didn't seem right somehow), but it would have served in lieu of the extra slats. I think even without the extra slats OR the cardboard, you would be fine, but I'm not speaking from experience because I did not try it.

The cover looked fine. It looks pretty cheesy right out of the box, but once it's stretched over the wood frame (the fit is snug), it looks like a very typical foundation with quilted sides.

I am a fan of split support layers and full size comfort layers. It makes the foam pieces vastly easier to manage and allows for different configurations left and right. If the foam pieces are placed inside a zippered cover, the pieces will be held sightly together and you will never know it's not one solid piece when laying on it so long as the top 3" or so is a full-size piece.

530 posts? I would have guessed it was more!
Reply #65 Nov 15, 2007 9:53 AM
Do you think the 2 Twin XL's slat foundations would be worth the extra $80? It seems the slats would have more support in the center and be altogether stronger and more manageable.
Reply #66 Nov 15, 2007 11:04 AM
Foam Nerd
steve2u wrote:
Do you think the 2 Twin XL's slat foundations would be worth the extra $80? It seems the slats would have more support in the center and be altogether stronger and more manageable.

I'm sorry, I glossed right over that question, didn't I.

The extra center support would only be a factor if your frame does not have a center beam, but only two steel rails running side to side. Even then I don't think it would be anything to be concerned about. But if you'd feel more confident in having the twin center support, I see no downside to it other than the extra cost.

As far as the convenience factor goes, I'd say it depends on how often you think you might move. If I'd had the option, I would have bought twin foundations. Twin foundations could be moved easily without having to disassemble anything.
Reply #67 Nov 15, 2007 11:26 AM
Thanks. I can't help but to think that it would be a good idea to go with the Twins...just wanted a little reinforcement from someone that has one of these foundations.

Well, I have 2 nights on a 3" Sensus topper - it seems to be a little softer than I thought, but it is on my plush no flip mattress that I flipped to make it a significantly firmer, but still probably not firm enough. I did try it on the normal side of my hammocking mattress and I thought I was going to disappear in the abyss. I'm 175 lbs. and my girlfriend is about 125 lbs. - she was sinking too...I was able to save her in time though. I think it will be better once I get new support foam. I hope I won't have to return it for 2" Sensus (or maybe Aerus) and 2" medium firm latex.
Reply #68 Nov 15, 2007 1:30 PM
Steve, I have to say, I had my doubts about anything over 2" of the softer memo foams. My 2" VERY soft FBM pink momo foam sinks in all the way, allowing the MyComfort pocket gel mattress under it to do it's job (also sinking at the hips, but supporting the lower back.) Some times it almost feels like it sinks too far, but it's okay. I think 3" may work for more firm foam like Isoform.
Reply #69 Nov 15, 2007 3:18 PM
I just emailed Isoform and they replied within 5 minutes and said they would send me a sample along with information. They said the ILD is 15-17 and the Density is 5.5 lbs.
Reply #70 Nov 15, 2007 5:04 PM
I'm with you on the split support layers and full comfort layers, and for the same reasons you gave. I really like having the flexibility to switch around configurations individually if needed. And, as you mentioned, once it's all "tied together" so to speak, and especially with the full topper(s), you'd never know the difference. And, so much easier to handle. Latex, in particular is so heavy. I can't imagine trying to work with King size layers. Plus, they're more apt to tear.

haysdb wrote:
I am a fan of split support layers and full size comfort layers. It makes the foam pieces vastly easier to manage and allows for different configurations left and right. If the foam pieces are placed inside a zippered cover, the pieces will be held sightly together and you will never know it's not one solid piece when laying on it so long as the top 3" or so is a full-size piece.
Reply #71 Nov 15, 2007 5:40 PM
steve2u wrote:
Well, I have 2 nights on a 3" Sensus topper - it seems to be a little softer than I thought, but it is on my plush no flip mattress that I flipped to make it a significantly firmer, but still probably not firm enough. I did try it on the normal side of my hammocking mattress and I thought I was going to disappear in the abyss. I'm 175 lbs. and my girlfriend is about 125 lbs. - she was sinking too...I was able to save her in time though. I think it will be better once I get new support foam. I hope I won't have to return it for 2" Sensus (or maybe Aerus) and 2" medium firm latex.

Sensus really works best on a relatively firm and flat surface.  At least from my experience.
Reply #72 Nov 19, 2007 10:03 AM
Well, I decided to put my new Makita 12" compound sliding miter saw to good use this weekend and build my own mattress foundations. I basically used 1x4's laying flat for the framing around the top and bottom where the slats will rest and the foundation sits on the bed frame. I spaced 2x4's at 12" between the 1x4's and will wrap the sides in 1/2" OSB. I figure my total cost will be around $75 by the time I'm done...depending on the price of the fabric to wrap around them. I'm planning on using 4x1's for the slats (actual size is 3.5 x .75) - but I'm not sure what the recommended gap between the slats is. Any ideas?

I placed an order at Foam Factory Thursday for 4" LUX and 3" HD36, but I still haven't received a ship notification. I did email them on Saturday to let me know when it will ship and to make sure they ship the high density. I will be sure to weigh them when (or if) I get them.
Reply #73 Nov 19, 2007 10:11 AM
Foam Nerd
FBM doesn't send any communications. Not order confirmations, not shipping notices, nothing.
Reply #74 Nov 19, 2007 10:16 AM
Hmmmmm... I think I'll keep emailing then.
Reply #75 Nov 19, 2007 7:23 PM
steve2u wrote:
I'm not sure what the recommended gap between the slats is. Any ideas?

I used 1.5" for slat spacing between slats, and it works great. 
Reply #76 Nov 27, 2007 10:42 AM
Error
This message was modified Nov 27, 2007 by steve2u
Reply #77 Nov 27, 2007 10:58 AM
Update:

I received my foam from FBM and it was the correct density - it's sad that I'm surprised at this. The foundation construction is going a little slower than expected, but they should be pretty strong. Here's a link to a few pictures: http://www.visi.com/~stevet/bed.html

I'm still thinking about returning my Sensus topper. I noticed this morning that the spot where I slept throughout the night was like Jello an hour after I got out of bed. The edges of the bed were much more firm. I think that the Sensus topper may be too sensitive to heat for me - it just doesn't seem like it could offer adequate support when it's that soft.
This message was modified Nov 27, 2007 by steve2u
Reply #78 Nov 27, 2007 2:05 PM
How would 3" of FBM 32 ILD latex compare to my 3" Sensus topper? It sounds like latex is generally softer than poly at the same ILD. I'm a little gun shy about going too soft now. I rather be on the firm side and add soft poly or something else on top of the latex if needed. I may even try sleeping on my 36 ILD poly with a comforter under me (for a little extra softness) for a few days. This may be a little bit hard for side sleeping, but I seem to keep waking up on my stomach with the Senus topper for some reason, so it probably won't matter.
Reply #79 Nov 27, 2007 2:17 PM
A couple of my recent posts were not viewable unless you hit "all" to view the entire thread. Sorry if there's repeats in your browser, but here they are again:

Update:

I received my foam from FBM and it was the correct density - it's sad that I'm surprised at this. The foundation construction is going a little slower than expected, but they should be pretty strong. Here's a link to a few pictures: http://www.visi.com/~stevet/bed.html

I'm still thinking about returning my Sensus topper. I noticed this morning that the spot where I slept throughout the night was like Jello an hour after I got out of bed. The edges of the bed were much more firm. I think that the Sensus topper may be too sensitive to heat for me - it just doesn't seem like it could offer adequate support when it's that soft.

How would 3" of FBM 32 ILD latex compare to my 3" Sensus topper? It sounds like latex is generally softer than poly at the same ILD. I'm a little gun shy about going too soft now. I rather be on the firm side and add soft poly or something else on top of the latex if needed. I may even try sleeping on my 36 ILD poly with a comforter under me (for a little extra softness) for a few days. This may be a little bit hard for side sleeping, but I seem to keep waking up on my stomach with the Sensus topper for some reason, so it probably won't matter.
Reply #80 Nov 27, 2007 4:30 PM
Fascinating thread this has been, Steve...

So, I've been thinking about the following:

2" Foamex Venus
3" FBM Talalay 20ILD
3" FBM HD36 HQ
3" FBM LUX HQ

I wonder if it will be firm enough... I'm 180lbs 5'8" with back and neck probs...
I do side sleep at times, so softness is key...

Any advice?

TIA...

-Jay
Reply #81 Nov 27, 2007 5:51 PM
steve2u wrote:

Sensus was not designed to provide support, it was designed as a comfort layer.  You don't want to go too thick with your comfort layers unless you have fibromyalgia or something like that.

32 ILD latex will be MUCH firmer than the Sensus.  A whole different feel, not even in the same ballpark.  I don't know if that will be good or bad for you.  32 ILD latex is generally not considered a pure comfort layer.

Reply #82 Nov 27, 2007 6:19 PM
Foam Nerd
I had a 2" ILD 32 latex topper from FBM. I was using it under something else, not as a topmost comfort layer, and I still found it to be too firm for side sleeping. I was "afraid" to go all the way to 2" of ILD 20 so I compromised on 1" of 20 and 1" of 32. Still too firm so now I have 2" of the softest latex I can find on order.

Moral: this forum is very much of the firmer is better persuasion, and for the support layer I agree (up to a point anyway), but for me this does not extend to the comfort layers. I would have been perfectly happy with any of my configurations if I slept on my back, but for side sleeping it was very easy to go too firm.

Reply #83 Nov 27, 2007 6:32 PM
Steve, I would recommend 2" of Isoform. It isn't supposed to be as soft as Sensus, and is supposed to be cooler. But you may be one who cannot sleep on memo foam at all. You could try a 1.5" to 2" eggcrate PU topper on your current base foam. They are pretty cheap and could be discarded every other year. Two inches of 20ILD latex may work for you, but I have to agree that 32 seems too hard on top of your pretty firm PU. How firm does that  50ILD LUX feel, any way?
Reply #84 Nov 28, 2007 11:42 AM
donw wrote:
How firm does that  50ILD LUX feel, any way?

The LUX is very firm, but seems like the right idea for the bottom layer. You don't sink in much at all laying directly on it. The 36 ILD is still pretty firm, but allows you to sink in a little.

I never did receive my Isoform sample. Maybe 2" of 32 ILD latex under 2" of soft poly or 2" of 20 ILD latex would be better for me?
Reply #85 Nov 29, 2007 11:03 AM
Here's my latest idea:
1" soft poly
2" of 20 ILD latex
2" of 32 ILD latex
or
1" soft poly
1" of 20 ILD latex
3" of 32 ILD latex
<over >
3" 36 ILD poly
4" 50 ILD poly

With this configuration, do you think this would be supportive with a soft feel (I'm 175 lbs.)? I want to make sure I don't have a hammock effect - sounds like it's common with too soft of latex used in the lower layers. Do most of you with latex prefer to sleep directly on a soft latex without the poly foam?
Reply #86 Nov 29, 2007 6:18 PM
The problem with the foambymail 20 ILD latex is that it is really too firm.  I had to take out my 32 ILD Latex International (tested at 32 ILD) topper and put that on top.  This is softer than the 20 ILD from foambymail.com

1 or 2 inches of 14 ILD LI talalay would be very nice on top.  The trouble is, where do you find that, and at what price?  When Mark (batman) used to own memoryfoam.com he used to sell it for a fair price, although only in 3" thickness which seemed too thick to me.  However the feel was heavenly.....

Otherwise memory foam is nice as a top layer.  Get the 1.5" thick memory foam from Walmart.  That stuff is very nice on top.  However it won't last forever.

Good luck.

This message was modified Nov 29, 2007 by MequonJim
Reply #87 Nov 29, 2007 6:40 PM
Jim, I wish you'd seen and responded to my post "is 20ild latex soft enough for top layer" I went and bought a 1" top from FBM, hoping it would work for the very top layer, but it sounds like (at least the one you got) was more firm than your LI 32. I'm hoping for less than 20. I'll let you know when mine comes in.
Reply #88 Nov 29, 2007 8:28 PM
I wonder what is the ILD of the Brylane toppers. 
Reply #89 Nov 30, 2007 12:28 AM
I think my back is getting tired of foam, period. ANY kind of foam. That includes latex and memory foam. I almost wish I had gone with something made of cotton filling like the McRoskey or maybe one of the higher end Kluft ot Aireloom matresses. Oh, don't get me wrong. All my mattresses in the last several years have had foam in them. But, it just seems not so MUCH! Also, as I get older, I just think my back and hips crave a different type of experience in a mattress. But, WHAT???!!! On the one hand, I loved the billowy feeling that my down alternative fiber bed gave me when it was on top of latex and memory foam. But, on the other hand, after awhile it tends to sink in and that can wreak havoc on my lower back. So, I am at a standstill as to what kind of mattress my body will adapt to for the duration. This right lower back pain is NOT going away!
Reply #90 Nov 30, 2007 7:09 AM
After last night, the memory foam is definitely going back. My girlfriend is starting to get lower back pain in the morning now. She's a nursing student, so she's at her house on nights she has classes during the week and she's even starting to like her worn out innerspring mattress at home more than the thick memory foam. I have a firm, but springy King Coil in my guest bedroom that we would probably use if it wasn't so small. We are starting to think that a normal medium to firm innerspring mattress is the most comfortable to wake up in. That's why I questioned the 32 ILD latex for, I guess you could say, a pre-comfort layer and not the actual comfort layer. More like a layer to give some supportive spring to the bed that the polyurethane doesn't provide, but I don't want to feel like the middle of the mattress is sagging. My thought was that I can always order more foam and get softer as I go up, as long as I don't go over 13" to 14" mattress thickness. I would assume the 32 ILD latex would be a little softer (and have more spring) than my 36 ILD poly foam. After reading Batman's reply on "Is 20ILD latex soft enough for top layer?", it sounds like 20 ILD latex would be too soft to offer the support that I'm looking for in this layer. To add a little more confusion, I was reading some of the old posts here and some thought the 20 ILD was was useless, then I've read other posts on all latex mattress and most people did not go below 28 ILD for their top 2.8" layer, or it was too soft. I'm going to assume most of these people are talking about LI latex? Can someone compare the FBM latex in 20 and 32 ILD to equivalent LI ILD?
This message was modified Nov 30, 2007 by steve2u
Reply #91 Nov 30, 2007 4:14 PM
I wish that I could just have a mattress that feels good "as is". That means not having to make it more comfortable with various toppers. Sure, maybe one thin-to-medium layer of softness would be fine. But this business of needing 4-5 inches of toppers in order to make it feel good...only to STILL have my back hurt...is just wrong. Not to mention, that my sheets don't fit now. AND, I need a step stool to get into bed!

Well, I'm going to keep tweaking it until I finally come up with the perfect match. I sure hope that doesn't mean going with an entirely different mattress. OR that my back pain is related to more than just my mattress. On the other hand, that might be a GOOD thing. At least I could stop my quest for the perfect bed.

steve2u wrote:
After last night, the memory foam is definitely going back. My girlfriend is starting to get lower back pain in the morning now. She's a nursing student, so she's at her house on nights she has classes during the week and she's even starting to like her worn out innerspring mattress at home more than the thick memory foam. I have a firm, but springy King Coil in my guest bedroom that we would probably use if it wasn't so small. We are starting to think that a normal medium to firm innerspring mattress is the most comfortable to wake up in. That's why I questioned the 32 ILD latex for, I guess you could say, a pre-comfort layer and not the actual comfort layer. More like a layer to give some supportive spring to the bed that the polyurethane doesn't provide, but I don't want to feel like the middle of the mattress is sagging. My thought was that I can always order more foam and get softer as I go up, as long as I don't go over 13&quot; to 14&quot; mattress thickness. I would assume the 32 ILD latex would be a little softer (and have more spring) than my 36 ILD poly foam. After reading Batman's reply on &quot;Is 20ILD latex soft enough for top layer?&quot;, it sounds like 20 ILD latex would be too soft to offer the support that I'm looking for in this layer. To add a little more confusion, I was reading some of the old posts here and some thought the 20 ILD was was useless, then I've read other posts on all latex mattress and most people did not go below 28 ILD for their top 2.8&quot; layer, or it was too soft. I'm going to assume most of these people are talking about LI latex? Can someone compare the FBM latex in 20 and 32 ILD to equivalent LI ILD?
Reply #92 Nov 30, 2007 4:19 PM
Well, my FBM 20ILD 1" topper came in today. I noticed barely any smell, and it is pretty soft. In fact, I'd guess it to be 20 or maybe a little softer. The softness must depend upon which layer of the core you happen to get. We'll sleep on it tonight and report back, but after laying on it for several minutes, it felt great.
Reply #93 Dec 17, 2007 10:08 AM
Update: I'm still waiting on my 2" 32 ILD latex from FBM - they said they were waiting on their latex order to come in and that it would ship Friday, but I never received a tracking number...I'm sure it hasn't shipped yet. They were really fast to ship when I ordered my PU foam. I should have my case from FoamOrder on Thursday and will report on that when I get it. I'm still sleeping on 4" Lux and 3" HD36 and it's very firm!

I went to Costco this weekend with my almost 2 1/2 year old Sealy Fenway and they took it back with no problems. I probably could've told them I didn't like the color anymore and that would've been okay. They really do back up what they sell.
Reply #94 Dec 17, 2007 12:07 PM
steve2u wrote:
Update: I'm still waiting on my 2" 32 ILD latex from FBM - they said they were waiting on their latex order to come in and that it would ship Friday, but I never received a tracking number...I'm sure it hasn't shipped yet. They were really fast to ship when I ordered my PU foam. I should have my case from FoamOrder on Thursday and will report on that when I get it. I'm still sleeping on 4" Lux and 3" HD36 and it's very firm!

I went to Costco this weekend with my almost 2 1/2 year old Sealy Fenway and they took it back with no problems. I probably could've told them I didn't like the color anymore and that would've been okay. They really do back up what they sell.

I emailed them this morning asking for a tracking #.  My 2" 32ILD shipped on Friday, yours may have also.
Reply #95 Dec 17, 2007 12:49 PM
Thanks for the info!
Reply #96 Dec 17, 2007 7:42 PM
For the record, I am quite disapointed with FBM's customer service.  I placed my order on the morning of the 4th, and had expected delivery by the 14th latest.  Only through this forum and earlier today did I discover they were out of stock. 

An explainatory email once they discovered they couldn't fill my order was in order.  I have no issue with the quality or price.

Edit: I guess this proves the old adage: Quality, Price, Service; you can have only two.

Even in the internet age.

This message was modified Dec 17, 2007 by ericgl
Reply #97 Dec 18, 2007 10:56 AM
ericgl wrote:
An explainatory email once they discovered they couldn't fill my order was in order.  I have no issue with the quality or price.

At least you got an email. I was told it would ship Friday and had to send them two emails on Monday before they sent me my tracking number. I'm not sure if actually has shipped yet - UPS is still showing "Billing Information Received". Fortunately, it only takes 2 days from Michigan to Minnesota. Hopefully they'll have enough latex in stock if I decide to order another 2" topper.

Recent Posts