My back hurts. I need advice.
Apr 13, 2009 1:52 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new here.  I think I need a new mattress.  I have a CA King Simmons Beautyrest (I don't know the model), but it's a pillowtop and quite soft.  I'm about 6'3" and 175 lbs, 30 years old.  The mattress is about 4 years old.  It sags in the middle.  Every morning, the middle of my back hurts for a few minutes after waking up, which is crazy because I'm in very good shape and have never had back problems before.  The pain goes away after a few minutes of getting out of bed.  This is crazy.  The mattress industry confuses the hell out of me.

But I think I need a new mattress.  I'm currently sleeping on my guest room twin bed, even though my feet hang off the edge.  That bed is fine, and it is pretty firm.  This leads me to believe maybe I need something more firm.

I'm a stomach sleeper, but in my current bed, my back hurts no matter how I sleep.  I've tried back and side also.  The problem is the sag.

My parents have an expensive Chattham & Wells CA king size.  It's better than mine but it still sags.  Is it possible to get a King size bed that doesn't sag?!  If not, I'm willing to put two extra long twins together or something.

I'm trying to learn all i can about mattresses, but like I said, it's very confusing.  I'm thankful for this forum, but even the layout here is somewhat dificult to sift through because it's all one big list of threads, there's not much organization.  But I'm trying to read through it.

Here's what I've learned so far.  Maybe latex is the way for me to go.  But also, maybe there's something about the king size bed that just lends itself to sagging and there's no way around it.  That little twin I mentioned above, that thing is like 20 years old, and it doesn't sag at all.

Please help me figure out what I need to do.  I love the luxury of having a large bed, but the pain is unbearable.  I haven't slept well for months in my house.  Thanks.
Re: My back hurts. I need advice.
Reply #9 Jul 20, 2009 7:22 PM
Someone else also suggested that I get two twins and put them together.  Are there any drawbacks to this?  it makes sense to me because there might me less sag because of the narrow widths.  Has anyone tried this and was happy?  My parents have a king also, expensive, Chattham and Wells, but I swear that one sags also (even if they don't admit it).

What would I do about the center divider line?  Could I make it so it is undetectable?  Sometimes I like to sleep diagonal.
Reply #10 Jul 24, 2009 5:02 PM
BeddyBye, what type of mattresses do you sleep on? I'm considering putting two twins together, because maybe (??) it would cut down on motion transfer...Do you find it comfortable enough with the attaching device? We're thinking of going with HR foam for the cores, because i think (??) it has the least motion transfer of the foams.

thanks for your reply! :)
Reply #11 Jul 28, 2009 1:55 AM
See my above post about our two XL twins together in an Eastern King frame. No drawbacks whatsoever. I would never go back to one large, King mattress. With a topper over both mattresses, we don't even feel the division between the two. I highly recommend it.

mybackhurts wrote:
Someone else also suggested that I get two twins and put them together.  Are there any drawbacks to this?  it makes sense to me because there might me less sag because of the narrow widths.  Has anyone tried this and was happy?  My parents have a king also, expensive, Chattham and Wells, but I swear that one sags also (even if they don't admit it).<BR><BR>What would I do about the center divider line?  Could I make it so it is undetectable?  Sometimes I like to sleep diagonal.
Reply #12 Jul 28, 2009 2:04 AM
We sleep on two XL twins from here: http://www.baybed.com/ A local company that puts together mattresses with zippered, quilted covers. Inside we have a firm HR base layer over LuraFlex coils. Over that are two layers of a high ILD of talalay latex. I also have a Omalon topper on the mattress and Cuddlebed topper over that. Perfect combination for us! Since we each sleep on our own mattress, we don't feel the motion we would if it were just one King. Also, my husband has a wee bit firmer HR layer in his mattress. I like being able to "tweak" our mattresses individually if we want.

electracat wrote:
BeddyBye, what type of mattresses do you sleep on? I'm considering putting two twins together, because maybe (??) it would cut down on motion transfer...Do you find it comfortable enough with the attaching device? We're thinking of going with HR foam for the cores, because i think (??) it has the least motion transfer of the foams. <BR><BR>thanks for your reply! :)
Reply #13 Jul 28, 2009 2:41 PM
What sort of pricing does Bay Beds have?

Recent Posts