My back hurts. I need advice.
Apr 13, 2009 1:52 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new here.  I think I need a new mattress.  I have a CA King Simmons Beautyrest (I don't know the model), but it's a pillowtop and quite soft.  I'm about 6'3" and 175 lbs, 30 years old.  The mattress is about 4 years old.  It sags in the middle.  Every morning, the middle of my back hurts for a few minutes after waking up, which is crazy because I'm in very good shape and have never had back problems before.  The pain goes away after a few minutes of getting out of bed.  This is crazy.  The mattress industry confuses the hell out of me.

But I think I need a new mattress.  I'm currently sleeping on my guest room twin bed, even though my feet hang off the edge.  That bed is fine, and it is pretty firm.  This leads me to believe maybe I need something more firm.

I'm a stomach sleeper, but in my current bed, my back hurts no matter how I sleep.  I've tried back and side also.  The problem is the sag.

My parents have an expensive Chattham & Wells CA king size.  It's better than mine but it still sags.  Is it possible to get a King size bed that doesn't sag?!  If not, I'm willing to put two extra long twins together or something.

I'm trying to learn all i can about mattresses, but like I said, it's very confusing.  I'm thankful for this forum, but even the layout here is somewhat dificult to sift through because it's all one big list of threads, there's not much organization.  But I'm trying to read through it.

Here's what I've learned so far.  Maybe latex is the way for me to go.  But also, maybe there's something about the king size bed that just lends itself to sagging and there's no way around it.  That little twin I mentioned above, that thing is like 20 years old, and it doesn't sag at all.

Please help me figure out what I need to do.  I love the luxury of having a large bed, but the pain is unbearable.  I haven't slept well for months in my house.  Thanks.

Recent Posts