Just ordered Sleepez 10000....
Dec 15, 2007 12:44 PM
Ok, I bit the bullet and ordered the SleepEZ 10000 and returned the Costco Comfortluxe.

I am a bit nervous about ordering a mattress without having tried it!  :)  However, what I really liked was Shawn even suggested I spend LESS and buy the 8500 model because "you just don't use more than 5.6/6" of foam." He said that until the mid-80s all the latex mattresses were just 6", but since then people think more is better. I ended up choosing the 10000 because of bed sheet fiting, Shawn said that sheets can be a bit of a pain to get for the thinner mattresses nowadays (Sheets are made for huge beds now)

So despite my nervousness on buying something sight unseen, I just keep telling myself all the wonderful reviews I have read here about the service level with Sleepez means it should be ok! :) (i hope :) ).
This message was modified Dec 15, 2007 by novahelp
Re: Just ordered Sleepez 10000....
Reply #6 Dec 15, 2007 8:49 PM
Lynn2006 wrote:
What are the ILD's for those combination Latex Cores Novahelp? I am just curious since I know Sleepies ILD are different from FloBeds ILD's for what they name the core. For instance, I have one one side of my bed a 1.5" soft non-convoluted topper over a 44 ILD (SUPER FIRM per FloBeds) over a 36 ILD (Extra Firm FloBeds calls this) over a 36 ILD.  On my other side of the bed. I have the same topper over a 36 ILD that averages out to over 37 ILD over a 44 ILD that averages out to over a 45 ILD over a 36 ILD over a solid pine slat box with organic cotton sides over 10" legs.  The mattress is incased in a zippered cotton/wool cover (the previous one was organic so I am not sure about this one but it is wonderful) and looks like a real mattress when zipped up.  I think SleepEZ's Extra Firm is 40 ILD. I do wish FloBeds had a 40 ILD latex core but otherwise I am very happy with my Latex Kit from Flobeds.com.

I am sure you will be happy too from your latex kit from SleepEZ.com. Just trry out the different combinations for awhile before making a decison to exchange a latex core.  Also did you get the split cores like I got to give you more latex combinations and to make it easier to move around?

Yes, i got split cores. Here are the firmness from the web site.

4 Firmness Choices For Each Layer
Soft
22-24 ILD
Medium
30-32 ILD
Firm
38-40 ILD
X Firm
44 ILD
Thank you Novahelp- Re: Just ordered Sleepez 10000....
Reply #7 Dec 16, 2007 12:22 PM
Novahelp thanks for sharing.  I hope you continue to be happy with your SleepEZ bed and your configuration you chose.  It seems you like a firm bed also like I do. 

My configuration (FloBeds) is similar but a little more firm than yours but with a 1.5" soft topper over a 44 ILD over a 36 ILD over a 36 ILD.  I tried the medium firmness (32 ILD at FloBeds) and it was too soft for me but that was before I had a 44 ILD to put under it so maybe I would have loved your configuration also if I had no topper.  But I still think I can not go softer than a 36 ILD in my configuration and I like having a little cushion near my pressure points I found out from my experiences these past several months of trial and error in getting my bed just right. I loved the 1" topper over my 36 ILD over my 44 ILD over a 36 ILD the best but the Overstock topper was flimsy and not holding up well so that is why I went with the 1.5" sturdier topper from FloBeds.  I feel everyone should have at least one 44 ILD in their configuration if they are going with 3 or more layers.  I wanted a 44 ILD but did not order it at first due to it being blended latex and I was trying to stay with all natural latex but I feel the Talalay latex blended does a good job at making the product safe for me since it is not bothering me and I am chemically sensitive. Most of my latex mattress is 100% natural but I have added the two blended 44 ILD latex cores and a soft latex pillow from FloBeds that Dave made less thick for me to accommodate my small size and like for flatter latex pillows.   I know when I had two 36 ILD's over the slat box with no third layer, it was very firm and needed on 44 ILD latex core but the mattress was too thin for my sheets and too low for the height of my new beautiful Iron Headboard.  I also love my 10" legs that allow storage under my bed and are sturdy making the bed feel very solid and make the bed a nice height for me.

This message was modified Dec 16, 2007 by Lynn2006
Reply #8 Dec 16, 2007 3:17 PM
I haven't actually gotten my bed yet :)

I don't really like a firm bed. But because of my size, Shawn strongly suggested I start with that configuration. He said most people find the SOFT layer to be too soft once they try it, and given my size he said to definitely start with Medium-Firm-X-firm.
Reply #9 Dec 16, 2007 6:24 PM
Novahelp, I feel you will be happy with the configuration you chose since lying on the Medium is supportive but very cushiony I found out. I have a slight case of Scoliosis so I do not like sinking into a bed and have always slept on a very firm bed that had no topper so it is surprising to me that a little bit of cushion is actually comfortable with support underneath.
This message was modified Dec 16, 2007 by Lynn2006
Reply #10 Dec 26, 2007 5:43 PM
Just put it together.  Funny thing, the case was too small initially. Called Shawn and before I could finish my question he explained that the case gets stretched by the foam. It did and it is a perfect fit.  Will report back over the next couple nights. Very initial impression, i like this more than memory foam!  another impression, I may want to switch to a softer layer on top...
Reply #11 Dec 26, 2007 7:48 PM
Thanks Nova. 

Personally I prefer a soft, some would say unbearably soft, feel.  I think you will have to find what works best for you.

Reply #12 Dec 27, 2007 4:21 AM
ow!  Yep, given the time I am posting, this mattress is much too hard for me I think...

or, are the years of sleeping on memory foam made latex not good for me?   I had to put the 3" fbm topper on top of the mattress to soften it up.

I am beginning to think this was a mistake the latex foam.  It's just awful.  Please tell me that latex can be much softer than this? :)
This message was modified Dec 27, 2007 by novahelp
Reply #13 Dec 27, 2007 9:08 AM
My first night felt way too firm and that was with 3" 20 ILD, 3" 32 ILD, and 5" 50 IFD PU foam.  The second night was much better.  I added another 2" 32 ILD latex in an attempt to get me further off the PU foam.  Better, but still not soft enough, so I'm adding some 16-18 ILD latex.
Reply #14 Dec 27, 2007 9:30 AM
ericgl wrote:
My first night felt way too firm and that was with 3" 20 ILD, 3" 32 ILD, and 5" 50 IFD PU foam.  The second night was much better.  I added another 2" 32 ILD latex in an attempt to get me further off the PU foam.  Better, but still not soft enough, so I'm adding some 16-18 ILD latex.

I hope I don't have to do all that. I thought by spending  the $$ I wouldn't have to start spending even more on top of it nor create a frankenbed :)
I guess I like a very soft bed that is supportive, which I didn't know before (or realize). I will call Shawn to discuss later today.  OUCH!!!!! 

Currently I have with this with the sleepez 10000 that makes is ok & slightly comfy, but hardly worth $1550 :(

3:" FBM memory foam 15 ILD , 5.5lbs topper
2.8 Latex medium 30-32 ILD
2.8 Latex firm  38-40 ILD
2.8 Latex x-firm 44 ILD
This message was modified Dec 27, 2007 by novahelp
Reply #15 Dec 27, 2007 7:01 PM
I would check with Shawn about the advisability of trading your extra firm layer for a soft layer.  I find that latex is supportive even when the ILD is low (unlike memory foam).

Recent Posts