PU/Latex/Memory Foam Mattress
Oct 28, 2007 7:19 PM
Has anyone put together a mattress with PU base, latex in the middle, and memory foam on top? I was laying on a Simmons ComforPedic the other day with this configuration. It felt like Temperpedic support laying in it, but it didn’t have that hard feel when you roll over or sit on it – it actually had a little spring to it. When I was looking at it in a showroom, I was able to see some of the specs on the sheet the sales person was holding:

Top layer: 4.5” 5.5lb memory foam – ILD unknown, but possibly 2 different foam ILDs (springs back faster than Temperpedic)
    Middle layer: 2" 24 ILD latex (said it was to dissipate heat)
    Bottom: 7" 30 ILD foam (I'm assuming it's PU, but I'm not sure???)

From what I've been reading about foam lately, I thought a combination like this would be too soft, but it was really supportive. After laying in it for awhile, it did seem a lot cooler and more comfortable than a Temperpedic. The price for the above configuration was $4200. Any ideas on putting one together for a lot cheaper?

Re: PU/Latex/Memory Foam Mattress
Reply #21 Oct 31, 2007 2:07 PM
Foam Nerd
donw wrote:
Well, if it was a small company bought by Simmons, then I doubt they had Foamex custom-make a foam. So..

1. 4lb foam

2. Open cell structure

3. Slower than regular memory foam

4. Patented chamber process

= Aerus

If it's 4 lb foam then I agree.

I don't know how small Comfor-Pedic was in relation to Sleep-Aid, which does sell memory foam custom made for them by Foamex.

3. Did you mean to say Faster?

This message was modified Oct 31, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #22 Oct 31, 2007 2:47 PM
Ooops, I did mean to say faster. Also, now that I look at the original post, it says 5.5lb...so who know.
Reply #23 Oct 31, 2007 4:23 PM
I found this info: Comfor-Pedic™* is a division of I/R Foam, a 60 yr. old company out of Washington. Their mattresses utilize a little over 3 1/2" of memory foam in combination with underlying layers of latex. These mattresses have a feel all their own.

http://www.memory-foam-buyers-guide.org/memory-foam-mattress-pricing.html
Reply #24 Oct 31, 2007 8:31 PM
Foam Nerd
Beware that many if not most of these "buyer's guides" have a hidden agenda of promoting a particular product. On the page you linked, notice how only two brands are mentioned by name, Tempur-Pedic and Comfor-Pedic. On the FAQ page they just happen to mention three features of the Comfor-Pedic product - at least 3.5" of memory foam, edge support, and a latex layer, which deftly eliminates one of the two brands mentioned by name on the other page. The reader is left with one choice - Comfor-Pedic.

According to this link Chuck Harmon, owner of the aformentioned domain name, is a part owner of the Tahoe Mattress Company, which just happens to sell...Comfor-Pedic.

How about this one: whatsthebest-mattress.org - self-proclaimed "The Web's Non-Profit Consumer Advocacy Site". It's nothing more than an ad for SAT beds, equating their name with the "name brand" mattresses" DUX, Boyd, Natura, Tempur-Pedic, Select Comfort.

As consumers we just have to stay one step ahead of this marketing slight-of-hand.
Reply #25 Nov 1, 2007 10:37 AM
Has anyone tried the Foamex Aerus? I didn't notice anything being mentioned about it having faster recovery on their website, but that would be something I want. It also sounds like it offers more support than traditional visco - I wonder if that means you can go thicker without sinking in too far?
This message was modified Nov 1, 2007 by steve2u
Reply #26 Nov 1, 2007 3:37 PM
Foam Nerd
More support?
Reply #27 Nov 2, 2007 3:24 PM
Steve, you're right about Aerus not being advertised as "faster". After researching all these foams, they start to merge together in my mind. I was probably thinking about Isoform. I am very interrrested in this foam, as it is claimed to be "breathable" and "faster remold" than traditional memory foams. Also, it has the best rating on epinions and is more reasonably priced than Aerus. It is also a 5lb foam, compared to Aerus's 4lb. I was really torn between it and foambymail's pink 5.5lb foam. Of course if you read my foambymail thread, you'll see that the foambymail is really a 4lb foam, and may be hot sleeping. I probably should have gone with Isoform.
Reply #28 Nov 3, 2007 8:01 AM
Thanks for the info. I was just about ready to order a 3" Sensus to get my new mattress started, but I think I'll take a little time to read some reviews on the Isoform first.
Reply #29 Nov 4, 2007 2:15 PM
Foam Nerd
Isoform is a memory foam I have been wanting to know more about. Here are my own notes on Bergad Isoform:

Isoform memory foam. "100% American made using American technology and labor". Claim to be "more open than other foams." This is "fast" foam. Not "chamber foam." Bergad mattress rated 4.5 stars on epinions with 130 reviews. Topper rated highly also. Strong smell. Reportedly poor customer service and shipping.
Density: 5.0 to 5.3. ILD: 15-17. Yellow in color.
www.bergad.com is redirected to www.isoform.com

As far as I know, Bergad, the manufacturer, is the only retail source for this foam.

I have been unsuccessful in acquiring a sample.

Edit: I may have a sample of this memory foam, but I don't know for sure.  I have a chunk of foam from "Vitalityweb" but I have no idea who makes it. It's the same yellow color as Isoform, but this doesn't necessarily mean it's Bergad foam. Not every manufacturer has a trademark color, so this may just be what color memory foam is by default.

Edit: Here is an article about how Bergad purchased their own foam making machine in 2003: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/leadertimes/s_117969.html
This message was modified Nov 4, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #30 Nov 4, 2007 3:04 PM
ILD of 15-17. Maybe that's why several of the epinions posts stated that it was a little too firm. Some of those who commented on the "too firm" issue still rated it 5-stars, though.

Recent Posts