My review of Foambymail.com 9" Queen 100% Latex mattress-Appearance/Quality (with pics!)
Jul 22, 2010 12:02 PM

Here is my story...hope this will help some of you considering buying latex foam. I have been searching for MONTHS which route to take on purchasing! Due to the chemical increase and health increase issues in this country, I decided to go latex. Finally convinced my hubby too! He suffers from allergies at night. Hoping this will also alleviate that and assuming it was from our previous conventional mattress.

Our Foambymail.com latex arrived in 6 days smiley after I ordered it online. UPS shipped it and left it at the sidewalk, without protectionsad. It weighed 130 lbs. I believe that is an "oil spot." FBM had the latex so wrapped in plastic that it did not leak through thank goodness! Not sure if that was from UPS or FBM. But, I'm willing to give mercy since it did not affect the mattress at all.

After ripping off the cardboard, here is our very tightly bound latex. enlightened I decided to use our livingroom to open it rather then on the bed so I could get around it all to make adjustments.  ADDED NOTE AFTER THE FACT...UNLESS YOU HAVE 4 PEOPLE, UNFOLD IT ON THE BED!!! IT'S NOT ONLY HEAVY, IT'S AWKWARD TO CARRY!!! surprise

After getting all the saran wrap material off, this is what we have. There was a very slight odor, but could have been from the plastic. I have NOT noticed any sense of smell other then a "new" odor. Nothing chemical smelling, just a fresh natural smell.yes

As you can see all 3 layers were already in the terry cloth zippered cover. I expected just the 6" core to be.

After initially laying it out, this is what it looked like.

After unzipping the terry cloth case, the latex appears to be clean, but the layers have shifted due to shipping and rolling it up. Naturally going to happen of course. On the other side of this, the layers were hanging off the edge.

We purchased a 6" firm core, 2" medium, 1" soft. Total of 9".

Total of 9". The latex is very clean. No complaints there! yes

I was told on the phone by their Cust Serv Rep there would be some imperfections. I'm assuming this is what they were referring to.

The top 2 layers appeared to be a little bit wider then the core. Or I could not get the core completly relaxed out since I was by myself doing this. It is VERY heavy! The latex material does give easily just awkward to move.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the "stretchy material case." FBM has an upgrade of terry cloth for $20, definitely worth it. This was a 10" terry cloth cover. Our latex was a total of 9". Although I'd rather have a completely chemical free bed (20% polyester in terry cloth cover), I'll take what I can get. We plan on purchasing the Dormier wool cover as well (thanks to the many recommendations on here.) The stretchy material allows you to tweek! You ladies will understand if you've ever put on pantyhose! wink

Having it on the floor to tweek was much better then trying to do this on the bed itself, although I know most companies recommend doing the unfolding on the bed because of the weight of it. I was able to walk around the entire mattress this way though.

The terry cloth is very soft too. Everything is an off white color. It's not as yellow looking as my photo shows.

I did lay on it for a few minutes with it on the floor and it was very comfortable. Time will tell sleeping on it a few nights once it's in our room on our foundation. We already expect that for the next few days, our backs will need time adjusting to it though. That will be my next post in a few days.

The total price for 9" QUEEN 100% natural latex (they emailed me the certificate from Europe testing-I know 'who's to say it's for theirs or not,' but I'm willing to trust them on this) was $877.97. (Although I could have gotten it cheaper had I of ordered it a few days earlier...they just had a price increase, which I was not surprised. I did see other companies stating there would be an increase on latex across the country very soon.)

Overall though, based on appearance and value, I'm very pleased thus far for a "DIY sort of company" bed from foambymail.com yes.

Tracey.

This message was modified Jul 22, 2010 by moneysworth4us
Re: My review of Foambymail.com 9" Queen 100% Latex mattress-Appearance/Quality (with pics!)
Reply #14 Aug 19, 2011 3:22 AM

The price is right.  FBM is about 60% of the cost of SleepEZ?  Remember that all natural latex is only about 95% pure because of the process by which it is made.  I had UPS ground leave a $600 package on my doorstep while I was at work.  It was a water softener in three large boxes and I had no idea it was going to show up.  Cardboard boxes cost more than paper and string.  If you are on a tight budget, FBM cuts out some costs yet still purchase a mattress that will probably outlast any Mattresses-R-Us mattress of equal cost.
Re: My review of Foambymail.com 9" Queen 100% Latex mattress-Appearance/Quality (with pics!)
Reply #15 Jan 4, 2012 12:23 AM
Curious, how well did  it hold up? Still happy?
Reply #16 Jan 9, 2012 1:24 PM
do you see any compression after so much use of  latex form  foambymail ?  I am looking for a firm mattress and they have ony 36 ILd at max. I am not sure how it would feel in comparison to 40 ILD.  Can I put an extra firm topper atop 6" firm matress to make it more firm ? Can somebody share their experiences ?

Thanks in advance 

Dee

Recent Posts