My review of Foambymail.com 9" Queen 100% Latex mattress-Appearance/Quality (with pics!)
Jul 22, 2010 12:02 PM

Here is my story...hope this will help some of you considering buying latex foam. I have been searching for MONTHS which route to take on purchasing! Due to the chemical increase and health increase issues in this country, I decided to go latex. Finally convinced my hubby too! He suffers from allergies at night. Hoping this will also alleviate that and assuming it was from our previous conventional mattress.

Our Foambymail.com latex arrived in 6 days smiley after I ordered it online. UPS shipped it and left it at the sidewalk, without protectionsad. It weighed 130 lbs. I believe that is an "oil spot." FBM had the latex so wrapped in plastic that it did not leak through thank goodness! Not sure if that was from UPS or FBM. But, I'm willing to give mercy since it did not affect the mattress at all.

After ripping off the cardboard, here is our very tightly bound latex. enlightened I decided to use our livingroom to open it rather then on the bed so I could get around it all to make adjustments.  ADDED NOTE AFTER THE FACT...UNLESS YOU HAVE 4 PEOPLE, UNFOLD IT ON THE BED!!! IT'S NOT ONLY HEAVY, IT'S AWKWARD TO CARRY!!! surprise

After getting all the saran wrap material off, this is what we have. There was a very slight odor, but could have been from the plastic. I have NOT noticed any sense of smell other then a "new" odor. Nothing chemical smelling, just a fresh natural smell.yes

As you can see all 3 layers were already in the terry cloth zippered cover. I expected just the 6" core to be.

After initially laying it out, this is what it looked like.

After unzipping the terry cloth case, the latex appears to be clean, but the layers have shifted due to shipping and rolling it up. Naturally going to happen of course. On the other side of this, the layers were hanging off the edge.

We purchased a 6" firm core, 2" medium, 1" soft. Total of 9".

Total of 9". The latex is very clean. No complaints there! yes

I was told on the phone by their Cust Serv Rep there would be some imperfections. I'm assuming this is what they were referring to.

The top 2 layers appeared to be a little bit wider then the core. Or I could not get the core completly relaxed out since I was by myself doing this. It is VERY heavy! The latex material does give easily just awkward to move.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the "stretchy material case." FBM has an upgrade of terry cloth for $20, definitely worth it. This was a 10" terry cloth cover. Our latex was a total of 9". Although I'd rather have a completely chemical free bed (20% polyester in terry cloth cover), I'll take what I can get. We plan on purchasing the Dormier wool cover as well (thanks to the many recommendations on here.) The stretchy material allows you to tweek! You ladies will understand if you've ever put on pantyhose! wink

Having it on the floor to tweek was much better then trying to do this on the bed itself, although I know most companies recommend doing the unfolding on the bed because of the weight of it. I was able to walk around the entire mattress this way though.

The terry cloth is very soft too. Everything is an off white color. It's not as yellow looking as my photo shows.

I did lay on it for a few minutes with it on the floor and it was very comfortable. Time will tell sleeping on it a few nights once it's in our room on our foundation. We already expect that for the next few days, our backs will need time adjusting to it though. That will be my next post in a few days.

The total price for 9" QUEEN 100% natural latex (they emailed me the certificate from Europe testing-I know 'who's to say it's for theirs or not,' but I'm willing to trust them on this) was $877.97. (Although I could have gotten it cheaper had I of ordered it a few days earlier...they just had a price increase, which I was not surprised. I did see other companies stating there would be an increase on latex across the country very soon.)

Overall though, based on appearance and value, I'm very pleased thus far for a "DIY sort of company" bed from foambymail.com yes.

Tracey.

This message was modified Jul 22, 2010 by moneysworth4us
Re: My review of Foambymail.com 9" Queen 100% Latex mattress-Appearance/Quality (with pics!)
Reply #1 Jul 23, 2010 1:56 PM
First night on latex...was pleasantly surprised! It was soft, yet firm....didn't want to get up this morning! Felt great! Nothing to "adjust too" for me....hubby will be home tonight, we'll see what his thought is...
Re: My review of Foambymail.com 9" Queen 100% Latex mattress-Appearance/Quality (with pics!)
Reply #2 Jul 23, 2010 4:45 PM
glad to hear...i always get confused when i read these two words together

latex foam

one is latex and one is foam, right?  or is latex foam one thing and memory foam (tempurpedic) another?  i have had all these beds so i should know but it is terminology i think

Reply #3 Jul 24, 2010 5:02 PM
Latex foam is one thing and memory foam is another which is a form of polyurethane foam.  Memory foam and polyurethane foam contain chemicals. Latex can be synthetic as well, unless you get 100% Natural Latex. Latex is made from the sap of rubber tree plants.
Reply #4 Aug 5, 2010 5:32 PM
Thanks a ton for the post Tracey, very informative.

Is there a reason you decided to go with 3 different layers?  I was thinking of the 6" FBM Latex base, coupled with a 3" Medium Plush Latex topper from Rocky Mountain (http://www.rockymountainmattress.com/talalaylatextoppermediumplush-p-86.html).

If there's a good reason for a middle layer I may go that route.

Thanks again!

Thanks and questions?
Reply #5 Aug 9, 2010 12:20 PM
Hi,

Thanks so much for posting!  It would be super helpful to have your thoughts to advise on what to add.

I am a 170 lb male side and back sleeper and the many mattresses and topper combos I have tried have not worked for me.  I ama side and back sleeper who needs enough soft for hip and shoulder on the side but firm to support lower (bad) back.  I decided today that the mattress under my latex toppers goes and perhaps you can share your experience to help me pick what I need?

I have cut in half and stacked to 6 inches two queen FBM "soft" 20 ILD toppers:  1 inch and 2 inches x 2 = 6inchs.

When I lie on that, it feels "very firm".   When I lie on my back, I do not sink in much at all, and feel like my butt is "in the air" and I am supported by my butt, my spine, shoulder blades and little contact with the rest of my body. 

I am wondering if I am "bottoming" against the box spring and if another layer should be firmer or not?  Logic seems to tell me that any additional layers should be soft, so I am really confused.

A lot of people who have done the latex layers suggest starting firmer, so that's a conflict with my perceptions.

I will have a better idea after attempting to sleep on the 6 inches tonight.

Thanks for your thoughts.

shovel99

Reply #6 Aug 10, 2010 11:16 AM
I was just thinking last night laying in bed...I need to get back on here and let you know how things are going with us....

It's been about 3 weeks and I really have no complaints other then we are lower to the ground!

As far as comfort, I have slept very well. My husband is 175lbs and was really skeptical about buying a latex mattress....he said he no longer wakes up with back pain or stiffness and neither do it (which we both had been. He's 44 and I'm almost 39.)

It's not like laying on something super luxurious. It's not tooooo soft and it's not toooo firm...apparently just right for our backs and comfort.

I'm a side sleeper starting out, but usually end up on my back during the night and have found either way comfortable. I did have to chunk my contour pillow though and got a thick cotton pillow.

After reading others comments/suggestions, I went with the 3 layers so we could replace one out if there were any issues of comfort. I figured it would be cheaper that way. We like a soft bed, but was advised from some on here to get the firm bottom. I think we would have been alright with a medium. By using FBM, their prices are much lower that we didn't need to worry about mailing them back a layer. But, that may not work well for everyone. We took the chance and it paid off.

We are looking into getting a platform bed foundation. We have the 9" latex on a "boxspring" (minus the springs) but it's squeeky when we get up out of bed.

Shovel....do you work out? The only thing I can think of is you have a REALLY FIRM buttocks!! cheeky LOL  I'll have to ask my hubby that question...you could bounce a quarter off of his too. I have read though that you should NOT be able to slide your hand under your lower back when laying on your back...are you waking up with stiff joints or pain? 

The mattress you had under your latex toppers...what kind was it?

How did you sleep last night just on the 6" of soft? I'm thinking that may be toooooo soft for your bones...although initially probably felt pretty comforting! wink

Reply #7 Aug 10, 2010 4:03 PM
Tracey,

Thanks again for the great post and getting back to me.  Unfortunately, at 61 years and no more working out, I have lost the "buns of steel" I used to have.sad  Probably some gap at the small of my back, indicating how firm all that is.

I have a 1 inch "soft" 20 ILD from FBM and 2 inch "soft" from FBM like yours.  Because I have had both dunlop and Talalay latex before, I believe you and I have "Dunlop" because of the non uniform appearance. Not a problem to me (sleeps cooler and firmer... less jiggly than Talalay) ... but Dunlop is definitely firmer.  A poster  said add 10 to Dunlop ILD to compare to Talalay ILD.  So my 6 inches of talalaylast night  was like 30 ILD from most of the posters using Talalay International who supplies the big high dollar suppliers.  And my previous experiments with one inch, 2 x one inch, one inch + 2 inch, etc. on a very firm Serta Auburn Firm matttress must be very close to your mattress.

My conclusion is to exhaust possibilities with softening up the 1-2 inches of "comfort layer" in the mattress vernacular.

Because I believe I have "dunlop"... equivalent of 30 ILD.... I believe there are some softer talalay one or two inch toppers to exhaust before pitching my mattress.

As you may have seen here, not everyone is successful right out of the box... some never... with the DIY mattress experiment.

Glad you were.

shovel99

Reply #8 Aug 10, 2010 5:16 PM
cheeky Well, at least I'm sure I made you smile today!!!

FBM claims they are Talalay...do you think they aren't then? Mine was very jiggly trying to move it and with just 2 of us, we couldn't even go 1 foot without stopping.

I know it makes it very difficult when you can't lay on one before hand to try out! crying  Hopefully you will find your perfect match soon! Buying a mattress is not an easy thing to do! I do think what's underneath the latex DOES make a difference.

Thanks!

Reply #9 Aug 11, 2011 7:29 PM
Hello!

I'm back to give an update on our latex mattress...it's been 1 whole year now and I still have NO complaints. In fact, I haven't had a cold or sinus issues since sleeping on latex! It REALLY has made a difference.

Tracey

Reply #10 Aug 12, 2011 5:52 AM
w00t!  Thanks for the update after a whole year!  So many people have complaints about mattresses after a few weeks to a few months and we hear about them.  But people rarely come back to report good news.  There have been a couple of people who recently purchased from FBM and are happy with their purchase.  You got a great mattress for a very reasonable price.
Reply #11 Aug 14, 2011 6:09 PM
Hi,

Thanks for sharing.

"The total price for 9" QUEEN 100% natural latex (they emailed me the certificate from Europe testing-I know 'who's to say it's for theirs or not,"

I read that European companies are allowed to label something 100% natural latex, even if only 80% is natural, and the remaining 20% is synthetic. I can't find the link now, but I'll keep looking. Does anyone have information on this?

Thanks,

pimy

Reply #12 Aug 18, 2011 2:32 PM
Dear Tracey

Very helpful posting.  It caused me to decide against BeautyRest Black line in favor of buying foam from FBM.  I am planning to order the same configuration as you did: 6, 2, 1  Your logic of getting a third layer is good!

I am wondering what the difference between the 29 and 36 ILD is?  Which number did you get?

Thanks

David

Reply #13 Aug 18, 2011 3:00 PM
So, what is the advantage of buying from a foam factory who advertises only a 6" basic foam block mattress, basic cloth cover, says the latex is 'made in Europe' but doesn't say the mfr. and seemingly only authorizes returns for defects or maybe dissatisfaction, but with a 25% restocking fee?

And they package it like that, drop on curb with no signature?

Whuh?  We have a foam factory in Fremont, but I wouldn't buy a mattress from them.  That is not their specialty.  It would be special order foam and final sale anyway.

This message was modified Aug 18, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #14 Aug 19, 2011 3:22 AM

The price is right.  FBM is about 60% of the cost of SleepEZ?  Remember that all natural latex is only about 95% pure because of the process by which it is made.  I had UPS ground leave a $600 package on my doorstep while I was at work.  It was a water softener in three large boxes and I had no idea it was going to show up.  Cardboard boxes cost more than paper and string.  If you are on a tight budget, FBM cuts out some costs yet still purchase a mattress that will probably outlast any Mattresses-R-Us mattress of equal cost.
Reply #15 Jan 4, 2012 12:23 AM
Curious, how well did  it hold up? Still happy?
Reply #16 Jan 9, 2012 1:24 PM
do you see any compression after so much use of  latex form  foambymail ?  I am looking for a firm mattress and they have ony 36 ILd at max. I am not sure how it would feel in comparison to 40 ILD.  Can I put an extra firm topper atop 6" firm matress to make it more firm ? Can somebody share their experiences ?

Thanks in advance 

Dee

Recent Posts