My Foambymail 8" Latex mattress - actual setup with pictures
Nov 29, 2008 11:13 AM
The mattress and topper finally arrived here from Michigan on Wed, Nov 26th.  We could not set it up until Fri as that is when the old bed was going to be picked up by JCPenneys. So it took 9 days from order to delivery; Michigan to Oregon. FBM did send out a UPS tracking number as soon as it was sent. As you can see by the pictures, it was packed up very well and although the boxes look a little ragged, it was well packed inside with several layers of plastic. On Friday morning, I went and picked up the two king foundation pieces from the local furniture store and then waited for the shippers to come and pick the old bed up.

They arrived just after noon, and took the so-called "green" Simmons mattress and foundation set away, so we were able to then go ahead and set up the new king size latex mattress set. To call that mattress "green" is really stretching the core of the English language, but I guess they have a right to do it. 
Here's what we ordered, the latex is from Foambymail:
1 King 6" Medium ILD Latex core - $580
1 King 2" Soft ILD Latex topper - $185
1 King terry cloth mattress cover from Foambymail - $20 upcharge
1 KIng all-cotton (heavy) mattress cover from ShopSatin.com (spare cover) - $23
2 XL twin Englander 7" foundation pieces (very nice for the price, from a local store) - $190
Grand total for 8" King sized latex, with foundation and extra cover - $998

I took the advice of a post I had read here to put the packaged foam up on the bed and unpack it there. This was certainly the easier way to do it. The boxes weighed 106 lbs for the king 6" medium ILD core, and 35 lbs for the 2" soft ILD topper. Heavy stuff, for sure. And for chris137 who just had a problem with his specs, this works out to be 4.9ish lbs/cf. So it's a little less than advertised. But I am not worrying about it. I'm more interested in whether it does the job or not.  We placed the big piece of packaged latex up on the bed and started to unpack it. This thing was really encased well in multiple layers of plastic within the outside cardboard box. After several careful cuts of removing plastic and what looks like their ticking material used as rope, we finally got to the one bag that actually contained the mattress. When this bag was cut, you heard a big whoooosh and then the mattress took on about twice its size in volume.  Then it was a matter of finishing the removal from the bag, then figuring out which end was the long end (not easy on a 76 x 80 size). Ended up measuring and then spread it out correctly on the bed.  The Terry cover has sort of rubber nubbins on the underside to keep the mattress from moving around. Like you might see on kid's slippers. It is a nice cover.  The 6" piece did come already within the cover which made it easier to deal with.  So after it was spread out I unzipped the cover all the way around and then repeated the unpacking process with the 2" topper.  It too let out a big whoooosh when it finally got its air.  Both of these did not take any time after that to come to full volume. Minutes. The topper was then laid out on the core and zipped up. Pretty easy. Entire process took 45 minutes or so.

Initial impressions:
The latex looks very similar to other Latex products I have seen, both in pictures and actual. Color is whitish. It does look like this might be more of a 2nd piece and I say that only because I notice a slight dent, or hole, or other imperfection here and there. I see nothing that would in any way alter what I'm looking for with the latex of affect the way it would perform. Just cosmetic stuff. There's a slight smell but not much. My initial reaction to the feel; soft on the surface but supportive underneath.  Laying on my stomach feels a whole lot better and supportive than the other bed.  I am both a stomach and side sleeper and my wife is a side sleeper. We're not big, 155 and 135 lbs, so we did not want to go the other way and get something way too firm that both of us would have problems with.  We don't bottom out sitting on this. I think the foundation has a little give in it which helps with this. I bought the foundation and sized it exactly so the finished hieight of the bed would be about 25" , which is a perfect height for us.  The other mattress was 31" high and was a probem getting out of bed and also sitting on, it was just too high. This seems to "sit" pretty well and is more supportive than what I was expecting.

Update after first night:  I slept pretty well, did "feel" the mattress some, it was firmer than I thought it was going to be. Being new I was conscious of it. It didn't really wake me up or anything like that.  My wife said she could feel some pressure in her shoulder area but like the feel of it. Overall I think this is very good. I know it will take some getting used to. We are going to eventually put some sort of mattress pad on it, and I think we just need to sleep on it for several nights and see if we only need a bare minimum of pad or something more like the Costco Cuddle bed pad. If needed, I might also put something underneath it too, like a 1" or 2" firm piece of HQ foam.

I wanted to post all of these setup pictures as these are exactly the type of questions that I had myself but could find no reference to. If they can answer some questions for anyone, good.  The pictures have been resized down quite a bit to make posting and viewing them easier, but it does reduce the quality some. Note* - thank you Sager for the coding help. It's been awhile.... 

This message was modified Dec 27, 2008 by BillB
Re: My Foambymail 8" Latex mattress - actual setup with pictures
Reply #1 Nov 29, 2008 11:24 AM
Very nice contribution!
This message was modified Nov 29, 2008 by sager66
Reply #2 Nov 29, 2008 2:18 PM
BillB,

Thanks so much for this post.  It's so helpful, just what I've been looking for to help make a decision. Did you use the mattress cover from shopsatin.com? If so, how did you deal with getting the mattress inside?

Thanks,

Ilene 

Reply #3 Nov 30, 2008 5:50 AM
Bill, I'm so glad you took the plunge. Now you're probably wondering why you were knocking your head against a wall over this. Thanks for the post with all the pictures. It always helps when people can see exactly what to expect, cause yes, this process is intimidating. Delighted it seems to be working out nicely for you.

By the by, latex usually does come with imperfections. As you've probably noticed it's pretty fragile and it's really easy for it to get little cracks, tears and bits missing simply by handling it.

After you've been sleeping on it for awhile let us know how it's holding up and if you had to make any adjustments to your original configuration.

Reply #4 Nov 30, 2008 11:52 AM
BillB, Thanks for posting all the detailed information and the pictures since it seems that you are happy with your combination of latex cores that did not cost you a lot and from the pictures it looks like they are a good quality latex.  Please post updates on if you need to reconfigure your bed and if you are still comfortable. The only thing I would have done differently, is order split cores so you wife can configure her side to her comfort level but despite this, the bed looks great made and it sounds like you are comfortable.  We all appreciate the pictures and the detailed instructions.
Reply #5 Dec 1, 2008 11:59 AM
Great post Bill.  I found it interesting that even with the soft latex topper you are finding it to be quite firm.  I've decided that my setup is too firm for me right now but can't decide what to add to it.. maybe I will try memory foam rather than latex..
Reply #6 Dec 1, 2008 8:36 PM
Great thread.......After great research and thought I also order a 6" Latex Mattress from FBM..... I got the Medium Core with the upgrade to the terrycloth cover.  I already have a decent 2" Memory foam topper that I am going to try before investing any more $$$$$.  I will post updates once the product arrives and I have slept on it for a few weeks.   Thanks Bill for the detailed pictures. 
Reply #7 Dec 2, 2008 12:04 AM
Update after a few nights: I felt the bed less the 2nd night, and last night I did not wake up once and probably got the best sleep I've had for 3 months. I am very impressed so far and my back is feeling better already. My wife still feels the shoulder pressure points some, but less than the first night. I went ahead and ordered the Costco Cuddle Bed mattress pad, it will more than likely help her with this, I just hope it doesn't make things too soft; I doubt it will.

Ilene - we are using the terry cloth cover that came with the bed. I bought the cotton cover from shopsatin as a spare. I just thought for $23 it was worth having it around if needed. It will be interesting changing it but I don't think it will be that hard to manage.

Cloud - I read your post on the featherbeds and I think it would depend on the feather content as to how much it would compress. Down compresses very easily so the more percentage of down versus feathers, the more it will compress. I have an old down sleeping bag that is warm, but its very important to have a good pad underneath or it will sleep very cold as the down compresses so easily underneath you.

Lynn - thank you for all of your posts in this forum. I have read many of them and have learned alot from you. I do remember you remarking how even an extra 1" piece of foam underneath can affect the firmness. I'd like to hear more on this. Yes, I wanted to get the split cores as I agree this would have given us more potential flexibility, but could not do it easily from FBM.  Their XL kings are 39" wide instead of 38" which would have put the mattress 2" too wide for my bed. I probably could have stuffed it into the cover but didn't want to take a chance with this.

Reply #8 Dec 3, 2008 6:01 AM
BillB wrote:

Cloud - I read your post on the featherbeds and I think it would depend on the feather content as to how much it would compress. Down compresses very easily so the more percentage of down versus feathers, the more it will compress. I have an old down sleeping bag that is warm, but its very important to have a good pad underneath or it will sleep very cold as the down compresses so easily underneath you.

Lynn - thank you for all of your posts in this forum. I have read many of them and have learned alot from you. I do remember you remarking how even an extra 1" piece of foam underneath can affect the firmness. I'd like to hear more on this. Yes, I wanted to get the split cores as I agree this would have given us more potential flexibility, but could not do it easily from FBM.  Their XL kings are 39" wide instead of 38" which would have put the mattress 2" too wide for my bed. I probably could have stuffed it into the cover but didn't want to take a chance with this.

Bill, thanks for your input on the featherbed. You're right about the down content. Down is soft and fluffy. Love it in my comforter, but I definitely want something firm underneath me. Something else to look for is fill content. The more feather fill the firmer the featherbed is going to be. As it happened I found exactly what I was looking for and replaced the 2 1/2" of too-soft foam in the quilting of my mattress with a two inch featherbed covered by a 1" Overstock.com MF topper. A full report on my mattress surgery will be coming soon. I just want to sleep on this new arrangement awhile before I do, but so far so good!

Yes, as little as 1"-- or even 1/2" of foam can make a big difference. If the Cuddlebed isn't enough to solve your wife's shoulder pain go over to Joann (the fabric store) and pick up some 1/2" HR foam. I love this stuff for extra padding or bolstering. The 1/2" size makes it easy to fine tune the exact amount needed to achieve the desired effect. Cut a piece and insert it between the mattress and the topper. It should help.

P.S. How did you insert your pictures into your post?

Reply #9 Dec 4, 2008 12:08 AM
Bill, this is an excellent post!

Thanks for all of the hard work and details that you put into it.

Seeing what you got, and hearing about your post makes me quite comfortable in making a similar purchase.

Sleep well, you have earned it.
Reply #10 Dec 8, 2008 3:42 PM
Bill,
Thanks so much for all of the details. I'm in the mkt for a latex mattress and after trying out a Sealy at a local mattress store, I went online looking for ways to save money. I was amazed that you guys are making your own mattresses. Then, after following all of the links and looking at specs of mattresses, it seems to make sense to just buy the components and DIY.
Your last post indicated you are happy with it. It's a few weeks later, is that still the case? or the case for anyone else who went this route?

I looked at foam by mail, and following the posts of others, I thought I'd start with a 6in mattress and add a 2 in topper. You said "Both of these did not take any time after that to come to full volume. Minutes. The topper was then laid out on the core and zipped up" I had an email in to foam by mail about this-both the mattress and the topper (8 in total) fit inside the terry cover? I was concerned about that.

I'm just leery b/c hubby wants to spend as little $ as possible, but I want to make sure my aching back and hips are taken care of.  Anyone try to DIY and had bad results? If so, what is the best online comany to purchase from? It looks like you can't spend less than $1K for a queen at any of the mjr online stores.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply #11 Dec 8, 2008 11:06 PM
Thanks for this excellent roundup of the FBM bed configuration.

I have had experience with the 2" latex topper from FBM before, having ordered it to get several additional months out of a 10 year old sagging mattress that is giving up the support it once offered.  It made a significant and comforting difference.

There has been a lot of complaining about FBM on some of the deal sites because it "routinely short-weights orders" and "doesn't tell you the source of the latex, which is probably China," and "may not have the quality of the higher priced competition."  In my online journeys, I can say FBM does definitely have an issue with delivering true to weight products, which will drive some shoppers crazy.  I can also say it could easily be true the latex originates in China and may not have the same qualities as more expensive competitors, but ultimately I have been extremely happy with my latex topper, don't care where it was made, and has held up under my weight since the spring with zero wear and tear, and I don't even have the protective cover.

I am particularly interested in Bill's configuration because I can take my existing 2" topper to the new design, reducing costs.  But I have some questions I hope others with more experience might be able to answer:

1) I am a big and heavy guy.  My weight has shown no consequence on the latex topper at all - no valleys or compression visible whatsoever.  Will the same be likely with a 6" core?

2) As I am a larger person, should I be considering additional layers and/or a firmness adjustment to prevent any bottoming out issues?

3) I actually prefer a higher sleeping position - I do not like lower beds.  Our existing box spring seems to be in reasonable condition (no detectable valleys or dips, nothing poking through, etc.).  Could I adopt this design to my existing metal frame bed by either placing thin plywood between the foundation and the mattress to guarantee even support, or is it preferable to switch to something akin to a slotted drop-in wooden foundation (like the one BedInABox sells) and use that instead?

4) The total weight of the latex is going to add to the weight on the existing bed frame.  Anyone have any experience with a heavier latex/foam mattress on an existing bed frame's durability?

5) While I don't mind the latex topper's feel just beneath the fitted sheet, I can definitely say the type of sheet used does make a difference in what you feel.  I have a Martha Stewart sateen sheet set which I like for its crispness and cool feeling (it's especially nice in the warmer months), but it really transmits the springiness of the topper and it's very noticeable.  Additionally, the snugger the fit, the more you will feel (and this one's fitted sheet is very snug).  The Costco mattress topper idea is probably a great suggestion, although I've heard some others remark it tends to be a bit warm for some people.  Experiences welcomed.

I appreciate the input and experiences from those who know far more about these things than I.    If it keeps me from playing the obnoxious "let's rip you off at the bed store" game for traditional mattresses, I'm all for it!
Reply #12 Dec 12, 2008 3:27 PM
Hi Cloud9 and Bill,

Those pictures are great, and the info also.

I hope Bill is still happy with the setup, if not what did you change?

Cloud9, what have you changed to your setup now? What brand and where did you buy the featherbed?

Remember I have the Overstock memory foam 1" over the cheap foam topper, over the 1" Brylane Home latex topper, over the Spring Air bed. Which has the Costco mattress cover. I have been okay with the hip area. But the shoulder and leg area has not been happy.

Show us pictures Cloud9 when you change out your mattress. Good luck.
Reply #13 Dec 14, 2008 6:17 AM
Hi Leo, good to see you're still with us. I haven't seen any posts from you in awhile so I thought you'd solved your problem. Sorry to hear you're still having problems getting comfortable.

I took my mattress apart in stages and I'm still tweaking the rebuild.  I'll have more to say about it in awhile. Basically I removed 2 1/2 inches of extremely soft, squishy convoluted toam from the quilting. This made the bed feel quite firm. Hard in fact, but still not really supportive. This is my big issue with this mattress and I'm not sure whether my back just doesn't like sleeping on foam--even firm foam, or whether the spring unit in these no-flip--no box spring mattresses are just not as rigid as the spring units in the old flippable mattresses. OR it could be that replacing 2 1/2" of soft foam with a featherbed topped by 1" of MF is still undermining support. It's actually quite frustrating because tearing the bed apart and remaking it all the time is-- well you know--a pain in the patooty.

Anyway, I got the featherbed at Kohl's. They had it for an unbeatable price on Black Friday and I thought if I was going to try it now would be a very good time. As featherbeds go it's pretty firm--which is what I wanted, but after a few nights I had to put the carpeting back on because apparently it isn't firm enough, or as compressed enough as the old feather pillow I'd been sleeping on. Overall I like the feel of the featherbed better than the soft foam that was sewn into the quilting , but I'm not sure that I've really improved anything as far as my back is concerned. It still hurts!  The full report--with pictures will follow.

Reply #14 Dec 14, 2008 2:32 PM
Hi Cloud9,<BR><BR>What brand of featherbed is it? Pacific Coast? Is it sewn in single rows without stitching between? That is what I have. I loved it EXCEPT the feathers wouldn't stay in place. I had to fluff it every day! It was exhausting to do that every day.<BR><BR>Yes, I know what a pain in the XXX it is to change out the layers in the bed all the time. That is why I have left it alone for 4 months or so.<BR><BR>I think you need more padding! But you always said you like firm. But what you have right now isn't enough (in my opinion). Thank God my back is good. So I just have issues with the legs having pressure and shoulders. I end up sleeping on my back, which I don't like. I may have too much padding. EXCEPT my shoulders needs lots of padding.<BR><BR>As for the springs you have I have no clue. The non-flippable mattresses are not the same. Take pics of the old padding, I want to see what was in there before.<BR><BR>I wonder if there is a 100% solution to a comfortable bed...... Good luck Cloud9, look forward to pics...<BR><BR>
This message was modified Dec 14, 2008 by Leo3
Reply #15 Dec 15, 2008 10:10 AM
I have been away at a training and also have been very busy at work lately.... Just wanted to give a brief update, more to come in the next week or so when I get a chance to catch my breath.

We put the Costco Cuddle bed mattress pad on just after Thanksgiving and it has helped my wife's pressue points in her shoulder area, without making it too soft for me. So we have the 6" med core, 2" soft topper, with FBM's terry cover, then the 2" Fiber-filled Costco Cuddle bed pad. For me, sleeping on my stomach it is just a touch soft but I haven't had any back pain and don't think I will.  It is perfect for both of us sleeping on our side. For anyone that weighed substantially more than me (155lbs), I would recomend the firm 6" core piece.

I really like how many new posters there are on this thread. I would say to them that, yes you can!  Be sure to read many posts on here before you buy and try your darndest to go out and find some actual latex to lay on and not the S brand's latex with their 8" of fluff on top of the latex but the actual real stuff.  It is out there. Try to get the feel of what you need for your particular situation. Do you like a firm or medium bed? How much do you weigh? Do you sleep on your side, stomach or back? Look for posts that address these issues and try to find someone who has a similar situation to yours and see what they did.

Cloud9 - About the posting of pictures.... First, if you use Windows XP, go and get the Microsoft picture resizer (google this). It will take the pictures that our current digitals are taking and turn them from 2 mb into 50 kb size without a big loss in clarity. This is a must if you are posting a bunch of pictures. You don't want to put 2 or 3 mb pictures up on webpages. So take all your pictures and then resize them down to under 100kb. Then find one of the numerous websites that freely host pictures and figure out how to upload your pictures to the site. I used imageshack.us to host mine, it is free and works well. There are many others. When you upload the pictures, you will get a web address for the picture, and then you will insert this into your post using the "insert/edit image" button on the editor toolbar.  I had a little trouble getting the address right as there are a few possibilites depending on where you are going to post your pictures. Sager noticed my frustration and gave me a hand. Try it and see what happens. You'll figure it out.

More pictures to come as I noticed I don't have the final shots of the mattress or the Cuddle bed pad.

Bill

Reply #16 Dec 16, 2008 2:25 PM
Thanks for the update Bill!

I went ahead and ordered the 2" medium latex topper from foam by mail to start with and if all goes well, I hope to order the 6" firm latex core from there. Hubby and I are heavier, so it seems like that's the general firmness advice for that issue.

The thing I'm still overthinking is the configuration. Looking at Flobeds and Sleep EZ, they tend to have more layers. Is that primarily for flexibility in firmness b/c you can switch them out? I'm having a difficult time finding smaller 2-3" layers in the firmer range:most are medium-soft, so a firm configuration seems best accomplished by the 6" core from FBM (and cheaper)

Do most of you feel the quality of FBM is comparable to online merchants like Flobeds? Do they just order from a general source as well, or make their own?

I look at the online companies and it looks like they basically DIY, so I think I can do it, but it sounds weird to say "I'm making my own mattress" out loud.  I had no idea that a google search for latex mattresses would lead to this......

Thanks for the encouragement and feedback.
Reply #17 Dec 19, 2008 6:02 AM
Bill, thanks for the info on including pictures. I think I can handle it. It's kind of like building a web page. I'm still messing around with my mattress configuration. It can take a few days before I know if something is working or not. Haven't found the winning combination yet.
Reply #18 Jan 2, 2009 10:30 AM
Any updates on the mattress, Bill? Still comfortable? 

I think there are quite a few of us who are waiting for your final opinion(s) before pulling the trigger on our own DIY beds...
Reply #19 Jan 10, 2009 7:34 PM
Ok, I did it. I just made my own mattress-similar to Bill's.

We ordered the 2 in latex medium topper from FBM and used that on top of old mattress to sample. Then I ordered a 6 in latex firm core from FBM with upgrade to terrycloth cover b/c they assured me it would fit the core and topper both-it has zipper all around.

Hubby is CHEAP (hence the DIY plan) so we're trying to re-use our spring foundation. It has slats on the bottom and our bed frame has 6 legs instead of 4 (center support for queen). We flipped the foundation over so slats were bedside up. Then hubby went and got 2 pieces of plywood to go on either side of center support and make a seamless layer. I put a fitted sheet on top to protect mattress from the wood.

When we opened the core (on foundation as Bill suggested), it was already in the terry cover, so I opened one side and slid the topper in on top of the core and zipped the whole thing shut.

We're just using current mattress cover for now, but if we need more fluff, we'll get Cuddlebed.

FYI-I think the latex smells when you first sleep on it. So if you are ordering some, be ready for that. Also, FBM does a crummy job of packing. It's tightly sealed in several layers of plastic and vacuum packed, but the boxes were torn with each shipment.

Does anyone have reason current foundation plan will be disastrous? I know the slatted ones are around $200, so it's not cost prohibitive, but cheapskate prohibitive. LOL

Will give you update on comfort after a few nights sleep. Hubby can't stop guffawing over fact that I made my own mattress.
Reply #20 Jan 11, 2009 5:37 PM
Very nice post, Bill.
I would only add that if I were going to do a similar project, I would probably buy each side seperately - instead of one big latex medium core, I'd buy 2 extra long twin cores, one medium and one medium firm. The same with the toppers : one extra long twin medium and one twin extra long softer topper. That way I could change it up a bit and if one side is definitely better for either partner, one can change it up.

For a more radical and adjustable approach, one can also divide each extra long twin up into 3 parts, divided equally length-wise and instead of a 6" core, get 2 x 3" cores. With 3 different ILD's: very firm, firm and medium, one can then make the same bed in the same way as Bill's photos, but with a compartmentalized and adjustable method - adjusting each side individually for the top, midsection and lower section of each side.

This is what I have done, only with HD foam (10 year warranty high-quality foam) instead of latex (I do not like the feel of latex).

The individual pieces butt up against each other very easily and do not move around. We put a fitted sheet over the whole deal to kind of hold it together, then the cuddlebed topper over that, then an extra sheet to protect the cuddlebed topper, and voila!
Reply #21 Feb 26, 2009 1:32 AM
Bill (and other sleep gurus),

I'm about to do the same as you did, but my wife is a little afraid of the DIY approach (I'm very, very competent at DIY).

All of my figures come from Foam By Mail. I probably won't consider another supplier.  They did, BTW, tell me over the phone that this was not chinese latex, if that makes a difference, and that it was 100% natural Talalay.

I did want to try the 2 twins, instead of 1 king (mainly to give her more options), but worry about the extra 2" in width.  If its an issue, can I shave an inch off each side myself (our bed frame has an inset at the corners 77" wide max)? 

I'm a stomach sleeper about 180 lbs.  She's a side mainly, about 130 lbs, and she likes the top soft and "luxurious". 

I figured a firm 36 ILD and medium 29 ILD base, for me and her respectively, than a firm 32 and soft 20 topper (his-hers).  I thought of the 3" toppers just because it seemed she always gravitates to the thick pillow tops when we shop, and I still shouldn't sink much with the 3" 32 ILD topper. 

If I felt my side was too firm (which I doubt), I could exchange just my topper for a soft at minimal shipping expense.  The Costco cuddletop sounds good too.

Anyone have any words of wisdom? 3" too overkill for a topper?  36 ILD base and 32 ILD topper too firm in general even for me (I like soft too, but firm keeps my face from sinking in). It does seem like the FBM toppers, at 20, are still firmer than most (and I hear you when you say numbers don't tell the whole story, but I have to start somewhere).

If I had to buy just one king, I would get the firm 36 base and soft 20 ILD 3" topper for both of us.  I know she'd like the topper, I just worry if the base would be too firm...but would the 3" make up the difference for her?

FBM says I worry too much, and there isn't much difference between the medium and firm base feel (29 vs 36) yet Bill says get the firm base at my weight, and that his wife felt too firm at the shoulder with the medium 29 ILD base and 2" soft 20 top...would the extra inch of a 3" soft top have helped her (and my Pam) even if I get the firmer base?

Also, do you think the 3" topper would also fit in the terrycloth cover?
Reply #22 Feb 27, 2009 6:08 AM
jeffandpamsmith wrote:

Anyone have any words of wisdom? 3" too overkill for a topper?  36 ILD base and 32 ILD topper too firm in general even for me (I like soft too, but firm keeps my face from sinking in). It does seem like the FBM toppers, at 20, are still firmer than most (and I hear you when you say numbers don't tell the whole story, but I have to start somewhere).

If I had to buy just one king, I would get the firm 36 base and soft 20 ILD 3" topper for both of us.  I know she'd like the topper, I just worry if the base would be too firm...but would the 3" make up the difference for her?

FBM says I worry too much, and there isn't much difference between the medium and firm base feel (29 vs 36) yet Bill says get the firm base at my weight, and that his wife felt too firm at the shoulder with the medium 29 ILD base and 2" soft 20 top...would the extra inch of a 3" soft top have helped her (and my Pam) even if I get the firmer base?

Also, do you think the 3" topper would also fit in the terrycloth cover?

The 36/32/ 20  (firm, medium, soft) arrangement is similar to the old SleepEZ configuratiion before they made the top layer a little firmer. If your wife likes soft she will probably LOVE the 3" 20 ILD topper. You might find it a bit too soft though. Hope you are splitting your cores so you can customize each side.  Terrycloth covers are pretty stretchy and can probably accomodate an extra inch, but it's always best to ask for the vendor's opinion.

Let us know what you end up with and how you both like it,

Reply #23 Feb 27, 2009 6:52 AM
If I get a 3" 32 topper and she gets the 3" 20 (too keep the heights the same) do you think we really need separate cores, The "firm" coreis only 36 (med is 29, and FBM says thr're not that diff, but maybe to a 130 lb woman they are) and I don't want her to lose all support with the 20/29 combo.
Reply #24 Feb 27, 2009 9:40 AM
Jeff,

I think you're on the right track. Yes, I do think that the XL twins are the way to go and I also like your idea of getting one firmness (firm and med) of each 6" base, and one firmness (med and soft) of each topper. You've got maximum flexibilty that way. You can try every combination out and see what is best for the both of you. If you are a true DIYer, you'll figure out a way to make the XL twins work. It does sqwuish up a bit so yes, it will fit into the 9" terrycloth cover just fine.  Just make sure that FBM knows you want a King mattress cover.  If I could do it over I would get the XL twins just for the extra flexibility of a different configuration, but like you was worried that it would work.  

One thing also, If you bought different firmnesses and you didn't like them and had to order an extra piece and you live in a big city; you could always unload the extra piece on Craigslist and I would bet you could get pretty close to what you paid for it as the prices from FBM are excellent.  And contrary to what you will hear on some of these threads, the product is excellent. It compares favorably to all the latex I have seen with my own two eyes.

A 3" topper would feel softer than a 2"... but if your wife really likes a soft mattress, then I would recomment the medium core 6" piece rather than the firmer one.   The Costco cuddle bed cover is really a great product and you do need some kind of mattress cover to protect it, but the thing is, don't let your body get too far away from the latex or you're losing the reason for having it.

You also need a nice smooth foundation for all of this to go on. I wouldn't put these on box springs, but these newer smooth foundation pieces work fine. I see the wooden slats being recommended and I understand the breathing concept, but I would not use them myself as you can actually feel any irregularities in the foundation. I know that sounds strange but its the truth, you can feel any irregularities under 8" of latex.

This message was modified Feb 27, 2009 by BillB
Reply #25 Jan 22, 2010 12:03 AM

I wanted to give an update after sleeping on the FBM latex mattress for one year. This is a 6" med ILD Latex with a 2" soft ILD Latex topper. Its on a normal foundation (no springs) and is covered with a Costco Cuddlebed mattress pad. The entire package cost right at $1000 for a king sized setup. I am a stomach and side sleeper, 5' 8", approx 155lbs and my wife is a side sleeper, 5' 3", approx 140lbs. We chose the medium support layer as a compromise, I would have preferred just a touch firmer and she a touch softer. This has worked out well though. The mattress when it came was firmer than you might imagine, and we bought the Costco Cuddlebed mattress pad both for the mattress protection, and the additional 1" of softness.

Before I bought this mattress, I spent several months on this forum, reading and studying and asking questions and also did my best to go out and find some real latex to lay on, look at, touch, etc, so we knew what we might be getting into. This a is very important part of the process. Trying to digest what these mattresses are going to actually 'feel' like by just reading is likely to bring unsatisfactory results.

We are both very satisfied with the mattress and it looks and feels exactly the same today as it did a year ago. I was never that hard to please before but this mattress is much more comfortable than what I used for the last several years. I have changed pillows, I used to like an old down/feather mix pillow and really couldn't sleep on anything else. Now I use two down-only pillows that I bought for $15 each at TJMaxx and they are much more comfortable for me. My wife likes the mattress alot. She had alot of trouble with the older bed being too hard for her, even though we had a 2" memory foam piece on it. All in all, we couldn't be happier. If I had one thing I would have done differently, it would have been to buy two XL twin pieces, one firm and one med for the base layer. I got exactly what I thought I was going to get from Foam by Mail, a decent latex mattress at an excellent price.

I am well aware of the continual bashing that Foambymail gets on this forum. I represent them in no way other than being a very satisfied customer who would buy from them again.

Reply #26 Jan 22, 2010 12:18 AM
Bill, thanks for coming back and reporting to us. I appreciate your honest report!
Reply #27 Jan 22, 2010 9:26 PM
BillB wrote:

I wanted to give an update after sleeping on the FBM latex mattress for one year. This is a 6" med ILD Latex with a 2" soft ILD Latex topper. Its on a normal foundation (no springs) and is covered with a Costco Cuddlebed mattress pad. The entire package cost right at $1000 for a king sized setup. I am a stomach and side sleeper, 5' 8", approx 155lbs and my wife is a side sleeper, 5' 3", approx 140lbs. We chose the medium support layer as a compromise, I would have preferred just a touch firmer and she a touch softer. This has worked out well though. The mattress when it came was firmer than you might imagine, and we bought the Costco Cuddlebed mattress pad both for the mattress protection, and the additional 1" of softness.

Before I bought this mattress, I spent several months on this forum, reading and studying and asking questions and also did my best to go out and find some real latex to lay on, look at, touch, etc, so we knew what we might be getting into. This a is very important part of the process. Trying to digest what these mattresses are going to actually 'feel' like by just reading is likely to bring unsatisfactory results.

We are both very satisfied with the mattress and it looks and feels exactly the same today as it did a year ago. I was never that hard to please before but this mattress is much more comfortable than what I used for the last several years. I have changed pillows, I used to like an old down/feather mix pillow and really couldn't sleep on anything else. Now I use two down-only pillows that I bought for $15 each at TJMaxx and they are much more comfortable for me. My wife likes the mattress alot. She had alot of trouble with the older bed being too hard for her, even though we had a 2" memory foam piece on it. All in all, we couldn't be happier. If I had one thing I would have done differently, it would have been to buy two XL twin pieces, one firm and one med for the base layer. I got exactly what I thought I was going to get from Foam by Mail, a decent latex mattress at an excellent price.

I am well aware of the continual bashing that Foambymail gets on this forum. I represent them in no way other than being a very satisfied customer who would buy from them again.

Hey Bill, thanks for the update! Maybe this will steer a few people towards FoamByMail.
It's good to get a post from someone who actually likes their mattress after a year on it! Congrats!
Reply #28 Jan 22, 2010 9:48 PM
Bill, Thanks for your follow-up. Great to hear the product is holding up. I might make a comment regarding the Euro slats. I recently purchased a LARGE ottoman as it had a fold out single bed for visitor's with a "euroslat" support system with a thin layer of synthetic foam. It is quite comfortable. My quest is to isolate the motion, and add one further layer of variation to the bed by considering to purchase the euroslats from Flobeds as they look like the best constructed and will offer individual support for my wife and I. I am 6'5" and 210 lbs and she is 5'4" and 130 lbs. While I am not heavy for my size, I am solid. Might private message you for some more thoughts.
Reply #29 Jan 29, 2010 8:34 PM
Bill,
Thanks for the update, and that is great to hear one year later.  I loved seeing your little schnauzer looking on.  Does the little cutie get to sleep in that nice comfy bed?  Hope so :-  )
Reply #30 Jan 29, 2010 9:31 PM
I am going to post pics of my 2 inch topper tomorrow! I am sold on latex but NOT overpriced latex......as well as Costco 8 inch latex, equal in pic and quality. Overstock was selling 8 inch latex for less than $600. SOLD OUT! Twin is all they have left. 
Reply #31 Feb 3, 2010 8:24 PM
Hey FantasticAlice, Did you ever buy the bed? Take pics? Post them? Would love to see them.
Reply #32 May 18, 2010 3:02 PM
thanks for sharing your photos, it really helped me. I was hesitant about ordering from them after reading some bad online reviews, mainly about their acoustic sound proof foams. I need to get my daughters a topper for their too firm mattress. Your latex mattress looks great. I ordered the 3 thinner layered latex mattress from SleepEz. I keep thinking it would have been easier to just get a good solid 6" core, but then I couldn't adjust my pieces around like we can do now. Can you tell me if your latex is Dunlop or Talalay?. Because Dunlop is much firmer, that might be why your bed feels firmer on the core part. Mine is all Talalay, and we think ours is too soft. BTW you got a heck of a deal. Foambymail has everyone beat right now. They are even willing to give an extra 10% off after beating anyone else's price, because Overstock did have a lower price. But Foambymail is willing to match that if you bring it up to them. I was just leary also because they sent me out a sample of their latex, and it was covered in hairs, and it was dirty. It was gross. But again looks like your latex mattress looks fine.
Reply #33 May 18, 2010 3:07 PM
what is in that costco pad?. I have read the memory foam is not good for your health, due to the offgasing. I read an interesting story, I believe it was called how my memory foam bed almost killed me. This guy goes indepth how sick it made him, and when he finally got rid of it, his health returned.

anyways, I was told that if you do not sleep directly on the latex, you loose the feeling of it. Padding on interfers between you and the whole reason to get latex. I know this to be true from personal experience. Once I put the stiffer cover over ours, the marshmellow yummy effect was gone. Now our mattress feels stiff. The soft Terry cloth gave our bed a much nicer feel, without putting much between us and our latex.

your pad does look heavenly though.

Reply #34 May 18, 2010 3:20 PM
Dampier wrote:

Thanks for this excellent roundup of the FBM bed configuration.

I have had experience with the 2" latex topper from FBM before, having ordered it to get several additional months out of a 10 year old sagging mattress that is giving up the support it once offered.  It made a significant and comforting difference.

There has been a lot of complaining about FBM on some of the deal sites because it "routinely short-weights orders" and "doesn't tell you the source of the latex, which is probably China," and "may not have the quality of the higher priced competition."  In my online journeys, I can say FBM does definitely have an issue with delivering true to weight products, which will drive some shoppers crazy.  I can also say it could easily be true the latex originates in China and may not have the same qualities as more expensive competitors, but ultimately I have been extremely happy with my latex topper, don't care where it was made, and has held up under my weight since the spring with zero wear and tear, and I don't even have the protective cover.

I am particularly interested in Bill's configuration because I can take my existing 2" topper to the new design, reducing costs.  But I have some questions I hope others with more experience might be able to answer:

1) I am a big and heavy guy.  My weight has shown no consequence on the latex topper at all - no valleys or compression visible whatsoever.  Will the same be likely with a 6" core?

2) As I am a larger person, should I be considering additional layers and/or a firmness adjustment to prevent any bottoming out issues?

3) I actually prefer a higher sleeping position - I do not like lower beds.  Our existing box spring seems to be in reasonable condition (no detectable valleys or dips, nothing poking through, etc.).  Could I adopt this design to my existing metal frame bed by either placing thin plywood between the foundation and the mattress to guarantee even support, or is it preferable to switch to something akin to a slotted drop-in wooden foundation (like the one BedInABox sells) and use that instead?

4) The total weight of the latex is going to add to the weight on the existing bed frame.  Anyone have any experience with a heavier latex/foam mattress on an existing bed frame's durability?

5) While I don't mind the latex topper's feel just beneath the fitted sheet, I can definitely say the type of sheet used does make a difference in what you feel.  I have a Martha Stewart sateen sheet set which I like for its crispness and cool feeling (it's especially nice in the warmer months), but it really transmits the springiness of the topper and it's very noticeable.  Additionally, the snugger the fit, the more you will feel (and this one's fitted sheet is very snug).  The Costco mattress topper idea is probably a great suggestion, although I've heard some others remark it tends to be a bit warm for some people.  Experiences welcomed.

I appreciate the input and experiences from those who know far more about these things than I.    If it keeps me from playing the obnoxious "let's rip you off at the bed store" game for traditional mattresses, I'm all for it!

Check out the nomad bed frame at Amazon, that is what I ordered. My husband found it for me. It lets the latex breathe underneath like it is suppose to do. And you are right about what sheet to use, I find that something with a stretch works best if you want to maintain that wonderful latex feel. I have latex pillows from JcPenny too, and after I put an expensive waterproof pillow case over it, I hated it. It made the pillow too stiff.

The box spring will have more give to it, but again I think the slat bed is what is suited best for the mattress. I read it keeps it from growing mold underneath it. the slats must be no more than 3 inches apart. I like the look of the NOMAD Bed, check it out, it's only $149

Reply #35 May 18, 2010 7:55 PM
mycakebed wrote:

what is in that costco pad?. I have read the memory foam is not good for your health, due to the offgasing. I read an interesting story, I believe it was called how my memory foam bed almost killed me. This guy goes indepth how sick it made him, and when he finally got rid of it, his health returned.

anyways, I was told that if you do not sleep directly on the latex, you loose the feeling of it. Padding on interfers between you and the whole reason to get latex. I know this to be true from personal experience. Once I put the stiffer cover over ours, the marshmellow yummy effect was gone. Now our mattress feels stiff. The soft Terry cloth gave our bed a much nicer feel, without putting much between us and our latex.

your pad does look heavenly though.

I think this is purely a preference.

I, for one, at times find that sleeping right on the latex is better and other times it's better with a wool pad. I haven't decided yet. But the point is, it's not a cut and dried "fact" - it's a preference. Some even like memory foam on top, or a pu foam topper, etc.. Just depends. wink

Reply #36 May 18, 2010 8:11 PM
mycakebed wrote:

Check out the nomad bed frame....

I like the look of the NOMAD Bed, check it out, it's only $149

I saw that bed frame - I like the look of it too, and I think it got great reviews. Do you own it yet? Is it sturdy?

Recent Posts