my design from Custom Sleep Design
Nov 23, 2010 12:22 PM
This company in Connecticut was recommended by Phoenix and cazual on this forum. I met with the owner, Bob, who was very helpful in designing the following configuration for my queen-size latex mattress:

Bob zoned the layers with the idea that softer ILD should be below my shoulders and higher, firmer ILD below my hips, in order to allow the shoulders to sink in more, and to promote correct spine alignment. This is why the top layer has 32 inches of 19 ILD and the remainder at 28 ILD.

The second layer similarly has a lower ILD of 24 at 36" from the top with the remainder at 32 ILD. The reason that the second layer "softer" zone is slightly longer than the top layer's "softer" zone by 4 inches is so that the slits are not right underneath each other. The core 6" height layer is constant throughout at 36 ILD. All layers are Talalay blended synthetic latex. 

My remaining dilemmas:

• Whether to use natural Talalay for the top 2" layer instead of the blended. I kind of liked the "bouncier" feel of the all-natural Talalay bed more than the synthetic when I was trying it out in the store. The down-side of using natural latex is that the warranty will be less.
  • Would it be better to have a solid top layer instead of having it zoned and cut into two pieces?  I am concerned if I will be able to feel the split while lying down on the mattress, and whether just the mattress cover itself will enough to mask the split enough for me not to feel it.

Curious as to what you all think of this design, the zoning element, the distinction in length between the top layer and the second layer soft zone to avoid the slits from being one on top of each other, the top layer split vs. solid, and using natural vs. synthetic latex for the top layer, please let me know what your thoughts are.

This message was modified Nov 23, 2010 by rocco50

Recent Posts