my design from Custom Sleep Design
Nov 23, 2010 12:22 PM
This company in Connecticut was recommended by Phoenix and cazual on this forum. I met with the owner, Bob, who was very helpful in designing the following configuration for my queen-size latex mattress:

Bob zoned the layers with the idea that softer ILD should be below my shoulders and higher, firmer ILD below my hips, in order to allow the shoulders to sink in more, and to promote correct spine alignment. This is why the top layer has 32 inches of 19 ILD and the remainder at 28 ILD.

The second layer similarly has a lower ILD of 24 at 36" from the top with the remainder at 32 ILD. The reason that the second layer "softer" zone is slightly longer than the top layer's "softer" zone by 4 inches is so that the slits are not right underneath each other. The core 6" height layer is constant throughout at 36 ILD. All layers are Talalay blended synthetic latex. 

My remaining dilemmas:

• Whether to use natural Talalay for the top 2" layer instead of the blended. I kind of liked the "bouncier" feel of the all-natural Talalay bed more than the synthetic when I was trying it out in the store. The down-side of using natural latex is that the warranty will be less.
  • Would it be better to have a solid top layer instead of having it zoned and cut into two pieces?  I am concerned if I will be able to feel the split while lying down on the mattress, and whether just the mattress cover itself will enough to mask the split enough for me not to feel it.

Curious as to what you all think of this design, the zoning element, the distinction in length between the top layer and the second layer soft zone to avoid the slits from being one on top of each other, the top layer split vs. solid, and using natural vs. synthetic latex for the top layer, please let me know what your thoughts are.

This message was modified Nov 23, 2010 by rocco50
Re: my design from Custom Sleep Design
Reply #1 Nov 23, 2010 1:10 PM
Rocco,  this mattress seems like an excellent design to me.  ( I wish I had found that company before I got my mattress!).  I like the fact that you have 11 inches of latex in total, since I feel anything less than 10 inches makes it possible to bottom out.   The zoning also seems very appropriate for many people.  I would not be concerned about the layers separating once they are held in place inside the mattress cover.  Latex is very heavy and does not move easily.  Some companies use a little velcro at the seams to help hold it all together.  If you like the bouncier feel of all natural, go for it.   I really don't think the durability is a major issue.  I have a "natural" top layer with a 30 year warranty!    

For what it's worth, I ended up with a 6 inch bottom layer of 40 ILD, 2.5 inches of 32 ILD, then added a 3 inch Natural top layer of 24-28 ILD. (Close to your setup minus the softer shoulder areas).   Since I still felt some "push back" from the top layer which I didn't like, I ended up adding another 1 inch of Sensus memory foam.   I think you will avoid the problem I had by using that soft 19 ILD top layer!)

Once again, I really like your design and commend the person who came up with it for you.    Would you mind telling us what the final cost is?  (I have about $2400 into my queen setup which includes a nice solid foundation)

Reply #2 Nov 23, 2010 3:09 PM
I agree with Mark (Mark I sent you a PM) that natural latex is a good choice.  I have natural latex and I think it will last as long as the blended.  If you like it better than the blended go for it.  The sections that are cut will stay in place.  I cut latex and just put it under the mattress cover it stays in place fine.  I think the softer for the shoulder is a great idea.
Reply #3 Nov 23, 2010 4:50 PM
I agree that the choice between natural and blended is more about personal preference than "which one is better". They are slightly different and which of the differences is an advantage is more about how someone feels about it.

It is clear to me from my research that natural is "likely" to last slightly less and this has been confirmed by many sources including the manufacturer and also by Bob who used to be a VP of latex international. I think this difference would be more apparent in the very soft ILD's than it would in the firmer ones (say above 20 or so). If there is a difference I doubt it would be a lot.

I also doubt that you would feel any cut lines even if they were right on top of each other in 2 different layers but with how he makes the cuts I would say it is highly unlikely (read close to impossible). As far as zoning the top layer it would depend on your body makeup. There have been people in recent threads that chose a mattress there with no zoning at all after laying on them and some who "zoned". If you tend to pressure issues in your shoulder or arms or you think they "don't sink in far enough relative to your hips" on mattresses you have tried ... I would zone it ... especially considering you can exchange it.

Warranties protect you from manufacturing defects more than anything else and these tend to show up early. Your greatest protection from issues later on is in knowing what is in your mattress rather than having a warranty. I would have no problem buying an all latex mattress with a 2 or 5 year warranty if I knew what was in it (type and manufacturer of the latex) and how it was constructed.

Phoenix

PS: I have natural latex in the upper layers of my mattress and if you'd like and can wait that long, I'll be happy to give a report in 10 years (laughing). Seriously though I would go by feel more than anything else and given the big difference in ILD's in your "recommended" construction I would definitely zone the top layer as it seems you probably need it.

This message was modified Nov 23, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #4 Nov 23, 2010 5:19 PM
What I find interesting is the zoning changes at the rib cage for the second layer, what a great idea.  This is the first I have seen for considering your rib cage wanting soft, but not too soft.  Please let us know how it works for you in months to come, and years.
Reply #5 Dec 19, 2010 10:42 AM
Leo3 wrote:

What I find interesting is the zoning changes at the rib cage for the second layer, what a great idea.  This is the first I have seen for considering your rib cage wanting soft, but not too soft.  Please let us know how it works for you in months to come, and years.

I too am anxious to hear how you like your mattress.  Give us some early feedback and you don't have to wait months and years.

Thanks

Reply #6 Dec 19, 2010 1:58 PM
I also filled out his form and got a custom config. I think it might be interesting to compare the differences. You didn't give your stats, but I am 5-10, 230lbs, and mostly a side sleeper. My config was very similar to yours - 3 layers, 11" total. My split point was at a different place (which is just a measure of where hips lie). 

My top 2" layer was 19 / 24

My middle 3" layer was 28 / 32

My bottom layer was 6" 40

As I say I assume the differences are weight, height and sleep position related...

Steve

Recent Posts