lower back pain from flobed
Sep 8, 2009 9:48 AM
I've had my flobed for 31/2 years now. I absolutely loved it when I first bought it but over the years the "elasticity" has weakened and I now find I have severe lower back pain. Is this common for the latex to loose it's elasticity so quickly? I was under the impression I would have this bed for 20 years when I bought it. When I lay in the center of the bed (where neither my husband nor I sleep) it feels great on my lower back and there is still plenty of firmness to support my lower back. I tried to contact flobeds directly but their store isn't open yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Re: lower back pain from flobed
Reply #12 Sep 9, 2009 7:41 PM
I know what you mean about people thinking you are crazy....I kept changing out beds, refusing to sleep on a practically new bed, my husband started calling me the Princess and the Pea.  BUT MY BACK HURT.  Just because his didn't did not mean I was crazy.
It IS your mattress.  My low back pain was so chronic it was awful.  I went to Denver and stayed at the Brown's Hotel and Spa and had wonderful sleep.  I stayed three nights.  The first one healed my back by 80%.  The next night I was 100% perfect.  The third night was a blessing.  I wrote down what kind of bed...it turned out that it had offset coils and somewhat minimal padding...which set me on my course of what I needed to buy.  It also had real springs in the box spring...which I now have.  My back is much improved and I do not have the chronic pain anymore.
I came home from my trip to Denver and refused to sleep on our bed even one night.  I knew it would be painful...so that night out came the Exacto knife....and we did surgery.
I was that sure that the bed was the issue.  I never could get that particular bed just right...it had pocket coils which I don't like the feel of.  Too much foam on top, too.  My step daughter and her boyfriend have it now.  Still looks great...but sleeps awful.  Just like the S and F bed did.  Looked great...but...what good is a bed that causes pain?
Kait
Reply #13 Sep 9, 2009 8:16 PM
That's so weird that you just posted here Kait. I was just about to do a search of your posts to find out if you ever mentioned (in any of your other posts) what kind of bed you bought. If you don't mind me asking, what kind is it?

I'm seriously considering the bed I slept on during my recent cruise. The cruise line actually has a website set up so you can buy their "specially designed" beds because they got so many compliments on it. I posted on a cruise forum yesterday to see if anyone actually owns it and how it held up over time. I really don't want to be buying a new bed every 3-4 years. It can get very expensive.
Reply #14 Sep 9, 2009 11:27 PM
Of course I don't mind!  Short version is that I pieced together that the bed I liked had offset coils, coil box springs, and minimal padding on top(the exact padding I never did determine, as the bed is no longer made and the comparable one that they do make costs way more than I could spend).  I already spent thousands of dollars on beds, plus I was not believing in the bed industry much at that point.  Anyway, I got a local bed manufacturer to make it for me  the old fashioned way.  He got the springs I wanted, used insulator wire and burlap, layered cotton batting on top, then a few inches of foam(which was the big mistake, it was a lot firmer than the store's floor model, so I added a fiberfill topper and made it okay for my shoulders).  What I should have done was have the top made in a duvet style, so I could use/move foam around.  Anyway, knowing who made the bed means that I can have it worked on if and when I want.
Anyway, that was me, worked out affordably, and it has been nearly a year since I brought this bed home.  Typically a bed would only last me three months.  Pretty sad.
I'd be happy to tell you the long version if you write to me on the site privately.   I can laugh now...
Kait
This message was modified Sep 10, 2009 by Kait
Reply #15 Sep 11, 2009 1:27 AM
I needed one Super Firm Latex core on each side of my bed for the best back support and I sleep well. I have now 5 herniated disks from a car accident and the bed is supportive to me since all my layers are either Super Firm or Extra Firm. 

Maybe FloBeds will let you exchange a latex core for a Super Firm latex core despite the time period that has elapsed.  Please keep us updated.

Recent Posts