lower back pain from flobed
Sep 8, 2009 9:48 AM
I've had my flobed for 31/2 years now. I absolutely loved it when I first bought it but over the years the "elasticity" has weakened and I now find I have severe lower back pain. Is this common for the latex to loose it's elasticity so quickly? I was under the impression I would have this bed for 20 years when I bought it. When I lay in the center of the bed (where neither my husband nor I sleep) it feels great on my lower back and there is still plenty of firmness to support my lower back. I tried to contact flobeds directly but their store isn't open yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Re: lower back pain from flobed
Reply #2 Sep 8, 2009 11:12 AM
Thanks so much for the information. I just checked my receipt and it doesn't mention Dunlop it says "Talalay Latex". I bought a 14 slat queen bed frame with center support when I bought the flobed so I think the foundation is adequate but I'm no expert. On my side of bed I have the "flobed air mattress" with a layer of firm latex. I only weigh 120 lbs so I'm surprised the latex hasn't held up better. My husbands side is 2 layers of medium latex (because he likes it softer) and his side is completely shot. No support at all left but he weighs about 170lbs. I originally had the medium firmness (that's what website recommended) but decided I liked it firmer and he likes it softer so we switched after a few days. I was reading the flobed warranty and you must have a 1" dip for it to kick in. I think a 1" dip is almost impossible because the latex does rise back up a bit once you get off of the bed (not completely level, only about a 1/2" dip) but the elasticity (firmness) is gone. I'm just extremely disappointed because I spent months researching beds before I bought one. I think if you're going to spend $2,000 on a bed it should last longer than a couple of years.
Reply #3 Sep 8, 2009 12:39 PM
It is always the foam that craps out, isn't it?  I had a latex bed once, and mine did it too in about the same timeframe.  I am the same weight as you, too, and experienced low back pain that got so bad I hated going to bed....it made me cry.  I gave that bed away. 
The latex did, however, last longer than P/U foam, for that you can be glad.
I used to have a very early model of air mattress, when the S. C. first came out.  That bed could ONLY be slept on with an adequate amount of foam on top(I got a non-pillowtop model).  However, in hindsight, maybe that wasn't such a horrible bed...at least the foam could be replaced every now and again for a minimum of cost...the rest of the bed stayed okay.  I do like springs, tho.
Kait
Reply #4 Sep 8, 2009 12:42 PM
Dave Turner, who own's FloBeds, is very customer oriented and I'm sure will be willing to try and help you. As far as reaching them is concerned keep in mind they are on the West Coast therefore there operating time is Pacific Standard Time.

Also realize that if you have a standard latex mattress, it came in basically pieces. Split through the middle with three layers on either side. You can switch those layers around, and even turn them over. You might give that a try.

Good luck.
l

LoveToCruse: I just noticed you said something about an "Air mattress on your side"? Just what kind of a bed do you have? I thought you had an all Talalay latex foam mattress. These are any where from 3 to 4 layers of natural organic Talalay from FloBeds.
This message was modified Sep 8, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #5 Sep 8, 2009 2:02 PM
Hi everyone, thanks for your comments. I just contacted flobeds (spoke to Dewey) and they gave me a "test" to perform (i.e. different camera shots) that I need to send in an e-mail to them. He said it is most likely my bed cover because that tends to get matted down but I have my doubts. I hope I'm wrong. I'll let you know how I make out.

Kait I know, my back pain has gotten worse and worse over the last couple of months. I've been going for a massage every 2-3 weeks. I got one last week (Sept 2nd) which helped but my back hurt again the next morning. On Sept 3rd I went on a 4-day cruise to Canada and had the best night sleep I had in a loooong time. After the first night my back only hurt a tiny bit. The next 3 mornings my back pain was completely gone. We came home last night (Sept 7th) and this morning my severe back pain was back again. This leads me to believe the problem is my bed. I've been struggling for months to figure out the source of my back pain.

eagle2 I bought the air mattress right from flobeds. My layers consist of (1) flobeds air mattress, (1) latex core layer, (1) top latex layer (the thin one with waffle look). Here's a linkwww.flobeds.com/air/index.htm. I later added (1) more layer of latex (which I removed after about a week) because it was firmer the closer I got to the air mattress. I also flip my layers (except the air mattress) about every 6-9 months.
Reply #6 Sep 9, 2009 1:05 AM
I have faith that flobeds will work this out with you. I've read TONS of positive reviews about them and I, myself, had experience with returning a mattress to them under the sleep trial.

I think if you are reasonable with them and give them a chance to figure out what is wrong and work with them, they will come to a solution with you, as they are very customer service oriented. Let us know how it works out!
Reply #7 Sep 9, 2009 2:19 AM
love2cruise wrote:
Hi everyone, thanks for your comments. I just contacted flobeds (spoke to Dewey) and they gave me a "test" to perform (i.e. different camera shots) that I need to send in an e-mail to them. He said it is most likely my bed cover because that tends to get matted down but I have my doubts. I hope I'm wrong. I'll let you know how I make out.

Kait I know, my back pain has gotten worse and worse over the last couple of months. I've been going for a massage every 2-3 weeks. I got one last week (Sept 2nd) which helped but my back hurt again the next morning. On Sept 3rd I went on a 4-day cruise to Canada and had the best night sleep I had in a loooong time. After the first night my back only hurt a tiny bit. The next 3 mornings my back pain was completely gone. We came home last night (Sept 7th) and this morning my severe back pain was back again. This leads me to believe the problem is my bed. I've been struggling for months to figure out the source of my back pain.

eagle2 I bought the air mattress right from flobeds. My layers consist of (1) flobeds air mattress, (1) latex core layer, (1) top latex layer (the thin one with waffle look). Here's a linkwww.flobeds.com/air/index.htm. I later added (1) more layer of latex (which I removed after about a week) because it was firmer the closer I got to the air mattress. I also flip my layers (except the air mattress) about every 6-9 months.

This whole business about the air mattress as a support layer has me concerned. I had not seen this mattress on their web site before. My concern has to do with the air mattress leaking air. I believe I read where the new air mattresses have an auto-matic pump that is supposed to keep the air pressure at the selected level. If you have a slow leak and a defective pump that can not keep up with the leak this could cause problems I would guess.

Then the Talalay may not be able to give you the proper support your back needs.

I do no care for the concept of the airbed as a support layer. It does not seem like a good idea to me.

But as Jimsocal has said. Dave Turner, owner of FlowBeds, is a good guy and will “do you right” I do believe.

Reply #8 Sep 9, 2009 2:09 PM
Thanks for everyone's replies. I sent my pics via e-mail yesterday and am still waiting to hear back from Dewey. Eagle2, the air mattress I've referred to is on this page www.flobeds.com/air/index.htm My air mattress is NOT leaking and is completely full of air. I confirmed this as I took each layer off to take pics for Dewey. I bought the air mattress because I thought it would provide me with more control over my firmness (i.e. leave air out for less support, fill up for full support) while the latex layer reduces pressure points.

Last night I switched out my air mattress layer with the extra layer of latex (only medium firmness) I had bought a few months after I originally bought the bed. My layers last night consisted of 1 firm (this is the layer I had used for 3-1/2 years so I moved it to the bottom because I suspect the "elasticity has loosened") and 1 layer of medium (like new) along with the thin top layer of latex. Unfortunately I still woke with back pain.

Has anyone tried the "super firm" latex layer from flobeds? If so, any thoughts?
Reply #9 Sep 9, 2009 5:11 PM
love2cruise wrote:
Thanks for everyone's replies. I sent my pics via e-mail yesterday and am still waiting to hear back from Dewey. Eagle2, the air mattress I've referred to is on this page www.flobeds.com/air/index.htm My air mattress is NOT leaking and is completely full of air. I confirmed this as I took each layer off to take pics for Dewey. I bought the air mattress because I thought it would provide me with more control over my firmness (i.e. leave air out for less support, fill up for full support) while the latex layer reduces pressure points.

Last night I switched out my air mattress layer with the extra layer of latex (only medium firmness) I had bought a few months after I originally bought the bed. My layers last night consisted of 1 firm (this is the layer I had used for 3-1/2 years so I moved it to the bottom because I suspect the "elasticity has loosened") and 1 layer of medium (like new) along with the thin top layer of latex. Unfortunately I still woke with back pain.

Has anyone tried the "super firm" latex layer from flobeds? If so, any thoughts?

I have been told by another supplier of foam that they quit using Talalay in their mattresses because they had so many returns due to the material breaking down over time. This is the only place that I have heard this. FlowBeds in fact went  exclusively Talalay some time ago and they sell a lot of mattresses.

I have also been told, by yet another manufacture, that you always want to have a very firm layer on the bottom, whether it is a Talalay bed for a Dunlop bed.

I have also been told that 100% organic natural latex will “soften up” over time. So the idea of having your firmest layer on the bottom with a firm or medium firm layer in the middle would make good sense to me.

I’m going to receive my new combined Talalay and Dunlop mattress in about a week or so. After I have slept on it for at least a week I will have a much clearer idea about the realities of foam. But only someone like yourself who has actually used it for several years can speak to this issue with any clarity.

Personally, I still do not care for the idea of an air mattress as my bottom layer, or any layer for that matter. One thing about the mattresses, that folks like us are purchasing, whether it’s FowBeds, Savvy Rest, or Sleep EZ, or some other company that lets you construct your own mattress, we have the luxury of undoing the zipper and making changes. Try that with one of the big S. brand mattresses. We could do as Jimsocal does of course, and perform mattress surgery. I believe Jim has more intestinal fortitude than I do.
Reply #10 Sep 9, 2009 6:07 PM
Eagle2 wrote:
<quote>I have been told by another supplier of foam that they quit using Talalay in their mattresses because they had so many returns due to the material breaking down over time. This is the only place that I have heard this. FlowBeds in fact went exclusively Talalay some time ago and they sell a lot of mattresses.

I have also been told, by yet another manufacture, that you always want to have a very firm layer on the bottom, whether it is a Talalay bed for a Dunlop bed.

I have also been told that 100% organic natural latex will “soften up” over time.</quote>

Thanks for the info Eagle2. It's interesting you just wrote this because yesterday Dewey told me that they've "never had an issue with the latex breaking down". This was making me start to think that I was nuts, LOL. Dewey did contact me today and made me an offer to buy a firmer layer (at a discount) to see if that helps. Flobeds is definitely trying to work with me but I'm a little hesitant. I don't want to have to buy new layers every couple of years because I think they lost their firmness.
Reply #11 Sep 9, 2009 6:25 PM
love2cruise wrote:
Eagle2 wrote:
<quote>I have been told by another supplier of foam that they quit using Talalay in their mattresses because they had so many returns due to the material breaking down over time. This is the only place that I have heard this. FlowBeds in fact went exclusively Talalay some time ago and they sell a lot of mattresses.

I have also been told that 100% organic natural latex will “soften up” over time.</quote>

Thanks for the info Eagle2. It's interesting you just wrote this because yesterday Dewey told me that they've "never had an issue with the latex breaking down". This was making me start to think that I was nuts, LOL. Dewey did contact me today and made me an offer to buy a firmer layer (at a discount) to see if that helps. Flobeds is definitely trying to work with me but I'm a little hesitant. I don't want to have to buy new layers every couple of years because I think they lost their firmness.

I probably should not have included this statement by a young man who has only been working for this company for a year regarding the Talalay breaking down. I have not heard this anyplace else, and in fact, in the bed that I have just purchased and will receive next week, the top two layers are medium firm Talalay. I will know a lot more about both the Talalay and Dunlop hundred percent natural organic foam after I have tested it.

I would be much more inclined to go with Dave or Dewey Turner, as they have a great deal of experience and I feel are honorable men running a legitimate mattress business. As you’re finding out there willing to work with you. Had I not got myself into a crack purchasing my mattress, a very convoluted affair that I will not bore you with, I would have probably purchased from FlowBeds as I feel they are very legitimate and have a return policy. It says something to me that in the last seven years they have had zero complaints at the BBB. I believe this factor alone will keep them on their toes as they value this record and do not want to lose it.

Just work with FlowBeds, I think they should be able to work out your problem. Be grateful you have a company that is willing to do this after 3 ½ years of use. Hopefully, if I have your kind of difficulty, the company I am purchasing from would do the same for me 3 ½ years into the purchase.
This message was modified Sep 9, 2009 by eagle2

Recent Posts