The long ordeal is over -- call me a spring man!
Mar 19, 2008 8:25 AM
Got the latest mattress yesterday, a Serta.  It's great. Supportive and yielding.  Maybe it will only last 2 yrs, at this point that's fine with me!  I slept on it last night with no foam and it was acceptable. I will likely add 2 or 3" of some memory foam (or maybe keep a soft latex foam layer from the Sleepez kit) to give it a bit more cushioning and it will be great.

It feels significantly different than the mattress I tried in the showroom.  Much firmer which is GOOD. But it made me realize what a waste of time it is bothering to test a mattress in the store!  They are all being pounced on for years, so they are pretty much useless as test models.  In hindsight, I should have just ordered any Serta Plush mattress as this was the mattress type I had been using for many years and loved for the first five years of ownership. 

I probably prefer the Serta spring system over the Sealy and Simmons since it is what I got used to... Very little motion transfer, and it feels like a solid unit.  When the padding starts to collapse in a couple years I now know (thanks to hundreds of hours reading this forum) to just slice the thing open, remove and replace with my own foam  (if the warranty won't replace it first though).
This message was modified Mar 19, 2008 by novahelp

Recent Posts