The long ordeal is over -- call me a spring man!
Mar 19, 2008 8:25 AM
Got the latest mattress yesterday, a Serta.  It's great. Supportive and yielding.  Maybe it will only last 2 yrs, at this point that's fine with me!  I slept on it last night with no foam and it was acceptable. I will likely add 2 or 3" of some memory foam (or maybe keep a soft latex foam layer from the Sleepez kit) to give it a bit more cushioning and it will be great.

It feels significantly different than the mattress I tried in the showroom.  Much firmer which is GOOD. But it made me realize what a waste of time it is bothering to test a mattress in the store!  They are all being pounced on for years, so they are pretty much useless as test models.  In hindsight, I should have just ordered any Serta Plush mattress as this was the mattress type I had been using for many years and loved for the first five years of ownership. 

I probably prefer the Serta spring system over the Sealy and Simmons since it is what I got used to... Very little motion transfer, and it feels like a solid unit.  When the padding starts to collapse in a couple years I now know (thanks to hundreds of hours reading this forum) to just slice the thing open, remove and replace with my own foam  (if the warranty won't replace it first though).
This message was modified Mar 19, 2008 by novahelp
Re: The long ordeal is over -- call me a spring man!
Reply #6 Mar 21, 2008 12:51 AM
Novahelp, I am so happy for you that you found a set up that works for you.  Everyone is so different.  Please keep us updated.
Reply #7 Mar 21, 2008 4:58 AM
I'm delighted you finally found a comfortable mattress at last. Isn't it nice to sleep through the night without waking up in pain after a few hours? I hope it lasts more than 2 years, but unfortunately in this day and age that seems to be about all you can expect before the foam softens up so much it ceases to support you. Good thing you know what to do about it from reading this forum. I've already collected all the foam I need to start my reconstruction project when the day comes.

As for the warranty, well, don't count on it. You could be sinking six inches into a mattress but as long as the depression is less than a visual inch and a half (most S-brands) they won't cover it. And if your mattress warranty is pro-rated after the first year they usually base your cost at a percentage of the so-called retail price--not the price you paid or the price the mattress was ever really sold at. You'd be better off replacing the crappy foam with something better yourself.

Also, don't you love all that marketing double-talk that makes cheap low density PU foam  ( the "comfort foam" and the "convoluted foam" ) sound like some kind of wonderful innovation in sleep comfort? The body loft is probably dacron. Undoubtedly there is some memory foam in your mattress, but this can be as little as 5/8s of an inch of the stuff.

Oh well, enjoy it while it still feels great. At least you'll have a good solid innerspring unit to work with when you have to replace all that marketing foam.

Reply #8 Mar 21, 2008 7:16 AM
I ditto Cloud 9 Novahelp! Good for you for finally finding a mattress that works for you. The good thing is you're an educated mattress consumer and you know what to do to give your mattress a new life after your comfort layers die on you. Think of the savings over the years....replacing foam instead of replacing mattresses. I'm so thankful for the folks who share their knowledge on this forum.
Reply #9 Mar 21, 2008 9:03 AM
Well, the mattress got better! I placed the 2.9" latex SOFT layer from my Sleepez mattress kit on top of the serta -- it's GREAT!!!  The soft latex on top of the mattress is actually quite firm (more so then when it was on top of a latex core for some weird reason), and it's firm enough to pretty much keep me off the mattress layer while the springs support my weight.  In fact, its better than the memory foam I had tried previously.

Some of the folks here are right, springs with a latex topper is really the best of both worlds.  Will keep trying it another couple nights to determine if it is a fluke or not :)

I know regarding the mattress warranty and I honestly don't care anymore :). If I get 2 yrs, fine I know what to do is to either just get any serta plush, try to get warranty service, or just remove the plush layers and replace them.  After hundreds of hours of work on sleep, I am just not going to worry about the future longevity as I am happy to be close to finishing... :)
This message was modified Mar 21, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #10 Mar 22, 2008 12:38 AM
Or like mine where I have springs and a couple 1" latex layers OVER the springs (inside my zippered mattress) and my Dream Coil Omalon topper. Like YOUR mattress, it definitely has that "awwwww factor".

I hope your mattress configuration continues to work for you novahelp!

novahelp wrote:
Well, the mattress got better! I placed the 2.9&quot; latex SOFT layer from my Sleepez mattress kit on top of the serta -- it's GREAT!!!  The soft latex on top of the mattress is actually quite firm (more so then when it was on top of a latex core for some weird reason), and it's firm enough to pretty much keep me off the mattress layer while the springs support my weight.  In fact, its better than the memory foam I had tried previously.<BR><BR>Some of the folks here are right, springs with a latex topper is really the best of both worlds.  Will keep trying it another couple nights to determine if it is a fluke or not :)<BR><BR>I know regarding the mattress warranty and I honestly don't care anymore :). If I get 2 yrs, fine I know what to do is to either just get any serta plush, try to get warranty service, or just remove the plush layers and replace them.  After hundreds of hours of work on sleep, I am just not going to worry about the future longevity as I am happy to be close to finishing... :)<br type="_moz"/>
Reply #11 Mar 22, 2008 12:40 AM
My teenage daughter has a VERY firm twin size mattress and just 1" of soft Overstock.com latex (topper) has really made a difference. I also added about 3/4" of lightweight memory foam, also from Overstock. Her mattress is still very supportive, but also comfortably plush.
This message was modified Mar 22, 2008 by BeddyBye
Reply #12 Mar 24, 2008 1:52 PM
Well it's been seveal nights. While the bed without the latex topper is ok, with the topper it's still pretty much perfect.  I guess I will just keep  one of the layers.
Phew, it's a lot of money to spend on a bed, but I just am happy this is all finally over...
Reply #13 Mar 24, 2008 2:41 PM
Novahelp, I am glad you finally have a bed that you are comfortable with. It takes time but it is well worth it and we are all different and have different needs.
Reply #14 Mar 24, 2008 11:22 PM
When I was changing her bed last night I noticed there was no memory foam. Just the inch of talalay latex and a fiberbed over that. Nice!

BeddyBye wrote:
My teenage daughter has a VERY firm twin size mattress and just 1&quot; of soft Overstock.com latex (topper) has really made a difference. I also added about 3/4&quot; of lightweight memory foam, also from Overstock. Her mattress is still very supportive, but also comfortably plush.
Reply #15 Mar 24, 2008 11:23 PM
I bet you are! Now go to bed! ZzzzzZzzzzzzz. LOL

novahelp wrote:
Well it's been seveal nights. While the bed without the latex topper is ok, with the topper it's still pretty much perfect.  I guess I will just keep  one of the layers.<BR>Phew, it's a lot of money to spend on a bed, but I just am happy this is all finally over...

Recent Posts