Just ordered Sleepez 10000....
Dec 15, 2007 12:44 PM
Ok, I bit the bullet and ordered the SleepEZ 10000 and returned the Costco Comfortluxe.

I am a bit nervous about ordering a mattress without having tried it!  :)  However, what I really liked was Shawn even suggested I spend LESS and buy the 8500 model because "you just don't use more than 5.6/6" of foam." He said that until the mid-80s all the latex mattresses were just 6", but since then people think more is better. I ended up choosing the 10000 because of bed sheet fiting, Shawn said that sheets can be a bit of a pain to get for the thinner mattresses nowadays (Sheets are made for huge beds now)

So despite my nervousness on buying something sight unseen, I just keep telling myself all the wonderful reviews I have read here about the service level with Sleepez means it should be ok! :) (i hope :) ).
This message was modified Dec 15, 2007 by novahelp
Re: Just ordered Sleepez 10000....
Reply #73 Feb 14, 2008 9:05 PM
Novahelp, I am glad you found a combination working out for you. My suggestion is to try the mattress case that SleepEZ sent to you with a soft padded fitted mattress pad on top before putting a fitted sheet over this.  You will still get the benefit of latex since you will not have springs pushing into your back.  I am still thinking of looking for a 100% cotton fitted mattress cover. Sometimes I sleep with my mattress fitted pad and other times just a fitted sheet. I just want to protect my zippered mattress cover FloBed sent to me but I do not want a mattress pad with a lot of padding since I want mine just for pretection. 
Reply #74 Feb 14, 2008 11:31 PM
Congratulations novahelp! What about a medium-medium-X-firm combo? Would that make it a bit firmer without making it TOO firm? I don't have any soft layers in my mattress. It's X- firm HR PU, 44 ILD latex and 32 ILD latex. (Or maybe two 32 ILDs--forgot) But no soft. And the CuddleSoft fiber mattress pad over the mattress.

novahelp wrote:
This is definitely the best combo!!!!!!!<BR><BR>I sleep great on the soft-medium-X-firm combo.  I would like it a bit firmer but the Medium-Firm-xfirm is too much.<BR><BR>Hmm, now what are my case options? I could try the included case again, but I really dread the hip pain I got from it the last few times....
Reply #75 Feb 14, 2008 11:45 PM
I agree with BeddyBye that maybe two medium ILD latex cores over the X-Firm with a thin topper on top that is somewhat soft would be ideal but it seems that what you set up is at least working and you are happy.
Reply #76 Feb 15, 2008 5:32 AM
BeddyBye wrote:
Congratulations novahelp! What about a medium-medium-X-firm combo? Would that make it a bit firmer without making it TOO firm? I don't have any soft layers in my mattress. It's X- firm HR PU, 44 ILD latex and 32 ILD latex. (Or maybe two 32 ILDs--forgot) But no soft. And the CuddleSoft fiber mattress pad over the mattress.

BeddyBye, I think you said your latex layers were 1" each and they are combined with an innerspring unit. This feels completely different than a bed made entirely of 2.8" talalay latex cores. And you've got that cuddle bed over it which really alters the feeling of the latex.

Novahelp, it seems like you have found a configuratiion that works for you, although I tend to think that BeddyBye's suggested medium/medium/x-firm would probably be better. SleepEZ soft layer is really soft, although I think they have changed from a 20 when I bought my mattress to a 24. This is still really soft for a 2.8" layer. My feeling is that the medium/medium/x-firm would be the most comfortable along with a soft 1" topper.

I know you would like the bed to work as it is sold, but sometimes it's necessary to tweak it a little bit above and beyond to acheive optimal comfort.

I preferred the SleepEZ mattress cover the bed came with to the feel of the latex with less between it and my body. Have you tried leaving the cover unzipped? This will give you much more slack and less of a trampoline effect when you lie on it. If you find it's shifting around too much place a mattress pad over it. I like the kind with the wide horizontal bands rather than the kind with tight quilting. Overall they feel much softer, have more give to them and don't pull taut enough to produce that trampoline effect.

Reply #77 Feb 15, 2008 12:38 PM
BeddyBye wrote:

Hmm, good idea. Let me try that. I think the issue is I like the soft layer on the top, medium feels a bit too hard. Let me try it in any case!

p.s. Another GREAT night of sleep on soft-medium-xfirm!!
Reply #78 Feb 15, 2008 12:49 PM
cloud9 wrote:
BeddyBye, I think you said your latex layers were 1" each and they are combined with an innerspring unit. This feels completely different than a bed made entirely of 2.8" talalay latex cores. And you've got that cuddle bed over it which really alters the feeling of the latex.

Novahelp, it seems like you have found a configuratiion that works for you, although I tend to think that BeddyBye's suggested medium/medium/x-firm would probably be better. SleepEZ soft layer is really soft, although I think they have changed from a 20 when I bought my mattress to a 24. This is still really soft for a 2.8" layer. My feeling is that the medium/medium/x-firm would be the most comfortable along with a soft 1" topper.

I know you would like the bed to work as it is sold, but sometimes it's necessary to tweak it a little bit above and beyond to acheive optimal comfort.

I preferred the SleepEZ mattress cover the bed came with to the feel of the latex with less between it and my body. Have you tried leaving the cover unzipped? This will give you much more slack and less of a trampoline effect when you lie on it. If you find it's shifting around too much place a mattress pad over it. I like the kind with the wide horizontal bands rather than the kind with tight quilting. Overall they feel much softer, have more give to them and don't pull taut enough to produce that trampoline effect.

I like the feel of foam.  Also, as you said, the soft ILD is now 22-24 instead of 20 so I do not  find it too soft in the soft-medium-xfirm combination. 

As for the case, the problems I had with the included case were as follows:

1) OUCH! every time I used it killed my hip!

2) I couldn't even tell it was foam I was sleeping on. The cover, for me, completely inhibited the conforming properties of latex and I felt like i was sleeping on a cheap mattress (apologies to anyone who likes the included cover).  I bought foam because I like to feel the foam.

I will try the Medium-Medium-Xfirm tonight as a last adjustment to see if that makes it better.  Hmm, though I wonder if I should try SOFT-FIRM-X-Firm? I assume the soft won't separate me enough from the firm layer though...

However, not sure why people are against sleeping close to the foam. Memory foam mattresses don't pad themselves with thick wool covers...(i do understand they need the body heat to contour)
This message was modified Feb 15, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #79 Feb 16, 2008 2:24 AM
Novahelp, I really feel you should sleep on the combination you have now but with a medium on top and a 2" topper in soft rather than a 2.8" latex core.  I think 2" latex soft topper in a 24 to 26 softness over a Medium ILD latex core, over a firm ILD latex core, over a extra firm latex core.   I really feel that will give you the softness you love. I think this is why FloBeds does offer the 2" soft latex topper since there are many people that like a soft topper over firmness. I know I do also I learned but only about 1" thick since I am very petite and do not sink in enough to get the support underneath.  My FloBed mattress cover has a little give and is very comfortable. I did not like the former mattress cover FloBeds used to sell but their new one they sell is wonderful.  If you like lying right next to the latex, then maybe a terry cloth cover is for you that is not too tight so you can feel the latex underneath. 

Also what type of pillow are you sleeping on since that matters also with getting the comfort right on a bed.

Reply #80 Feb 17, 2008 6:04 AM
novahelp wrote:
I like the feel of foam.  Also, as you said, the soft ILD is now 22-24 instead of 20 so I do not  find it too soft in the soft-medium-xfirm combination. 

As for the case, the problems I had with the included case were as follows:

1) OUCH! every time I used it killed my hip!

2) I couldn't even tell it was foam I was sleeping on. The cover, for me, completely inhibited the conforming properties of latex and I felt like i was sleeping on a cheap mattress (apologies to anyone who likes the included cover).  I bought foam because I like to feel the foam.

I will try the Medium-Medium-Xfirm tonight as a last adjustment to see if that makes it better.  Hmm, though I wonder if I should try SOFT-FIRM-X-Firm? I assume the soft won't separate me enough from the firm layer though...

However, not sure why people are against sleeping close to the foam. Memory foam mattresses don't pad themselves with thick wool covers...(i do understand they need the body heat to contour)

Some people do like sleeping right on the latex. And that's fine if you find it most comfortable,but you should keep the latex covered with something like a stretch terry mattress pad. Latex is biodegradable if exposed to UV light and will decay in a few years rather than the 20 or so you can expect if you keep it in the dark.

Reply #81 Feb 17, 2008 9:16 AM
1) Thanks. Sean said that the degrade aspects wont kick in for a year or so really, while I do my trial he said it will be fine. In long run you are correct, I need to get a case just for convenience and protecting my investment.

2)I tried

Medium
Medium
X-firm

And I couldn't use it for more than a few minutes. Here is the weird thing, I felt like I kind of SUNK through at the hips while the rest of my body stayed up, just felt weird. Imaging you are laying on a sheet of ice, and someone carved a hole to fish through. That's kind of how I felt, though of course it was NOT as hard as ice.

3) I tried
Soft
Firm
Xfirm

Found the soft couldn't cushion me from the harder layers enough.

4) GOOD NEWS.

I did some more testing by placing some memory foam on the harder side of the bed (medium-firm-xfirm). Good news. I really prefer latex over memory foam.  I just cant stand the memory foam marshmallow feeling and the heat build up. So, at least I know latex IS the material I prefer!

5) The bed is really close with the soft-medium-xfirm.  I am getting some side soreness because while the firmness is enough, I just need more material or something (though the soreness could be just a result of the other nights of sleep where I got a little bit sore  or exercise).  I tried moving the layers so it is medium-soft-xfirm, and I couldn't really feel a difference except it kinda felt like the feeling I got from the medium-medium-xfirm (see point 2 above). 

I also tried soft-medium-firm-x-frim again and I don't like how jiggly and rubber feeling that number of layers feels. I guess a case might make it feel different?

6) Next steps

I am going to try the combo I liked best in the orginal mattress case today.  Maybe the hammocking won't be so bad now?
This message was modified Feb 17, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #82 Feb 17, 2008 11:40 AM
Soft medium -xfirm on one side, soft-firm-xfirm on the other side inside the mattress case. 

The case makes the bed feel "frumpy" and like an old hand-me-down. You sort of plop into it, no spring or push back.  Amazing how different the case makes the latex feel!  Laying on either side  within about 2-3 minutes i feel a pain on my hip bone.  It does sort of contour, but the contours are just big indentations that pool into one big sack.

And, interestingly, when I un-zipper the top (as someone suggested), it gets much more conforming and comfortable though still not as nice as just having a sheet over the latex.
This message was modified Feb 17, 2008 by novahelp

Recent Posts