Just ordered Sleepez 10000....
Dec 15, 2007 12:44 PM
Ok, I bit the bullet and ordered the SleepEZ 10000 and returned the Costco Comfortluxe.

I am a bit nervous about ordering a mattress without having tried it!  :)  However, what I really liked was Shawn even suggested I spend LESS and buy the 8500 model because "you just don't use more than 5.6/6" of foam." He said that until the mid-80s all the latex mattresses were just 6", but since then people think more is better. I ended up choosing the 10000 because of bed sheet fiting, Shawn said that sheets can be a bit of a pain to get for the thinner mattresses nowadays (Sheets are made for huge beds now)

So despite my nervousness on buying something sight unseen, I just keep telling myself all the wonderful reviews I have read here about the service level with Sleepez means it should be ok! :) (i hope :) ).
This message was modified Dec 15, 2007 by novahelp
Re: Just ordered Sleepez 10000....
Reply #53 Feb 9, 2008 11:15 AM
mattressmom wrote:
What do you have the mattress on? Is is a solid platform?

It might sound counterintuitive, but I wonder if two layers of medium over firm or even medium over medium on a solid platform would work. The solid platform at the bottom would be the extra firm layer. Maybe you have TOO MUCH latex under you.

I'm a side sleeper and found the Dunlop +/- 30 in the top layer to work for everyone in our family of side sleepers - even though we are different sizes. I recently played around with a cheap 1" layer of Talalay doubled over with a thick wool topper on top of the whole thing. (see the Brylane Latex Topper thread) I liked the extra cush for my hips but it didn't work for my husband.

As suggested above, maybe you need a good solid base with a one or two inch topper for your hips to sink into. That's pretty much the SleepEZ 8500 configuration. I wonder if Shawn could send you a layer of soft DUNLOP for your top layer.

You are right, you'll have to work this out soon.

The layers are actually on the floor. I didn't buy a platform for it yet because I wanted to be sure I would keep it. 

At this point, lol, I have tried so many combination I just can't tell anymore what I like. :)
Reply #54 Feb 9, 2008 11:41 AM
novahelp wrote:
The layers are actually on the floor. I didn't buy a platform for it yet because I wanted to be sure I would keep it.  <BR><BR>At this point, lol, I have tried so many combination I just can't tell anymore what I like. :)

It wouldn't hurt to try two layers for a night or two. It won't cost anything. It always takes my husband two or three nights to get used to a new configuration.

Or maybe this just isn't going to work for you and you'll have to cut your losses and move on. If it's any consolation, this thread helped convince me to go with Dunlop and a non-SleepEZ manufacturer. I didn't like the sound of your problems with the cover. Not much help for you but it did help us.

For the kids we got plain old medium six inch cores of Dunlop latex with simple covers. Much cheaper than the fancier alternatives and seem just as comfortable as our expensive mattress. The Dunlop is denser at the bottom than the top so it is sort layered without all the layers. Much simpler and more straight forward IF it works for you. The Dunlop isn't as wiggly. See the Talalay vs. Dunlop threads.

We used a cheap velour cover from eBay for my son's mattress. Works great. Comes in lots of sizes. Around $30 plus shipping - depending on the size.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ZIPPERED-VELOURCOVER-for-10-QUEEN-MEMORY-FOAM-MATTRESS_W0QQitemZ110220660299QQihZ001QQcategoryZ20479QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Reply #55 Feb 9, 2008 1:58 PM
mattressmom wrote:
It wouldn't hurt to try two layers for a night or two. It won't cost anything. It always takes my husband two or three nights to get used to a new configuration.

Or maybe this just isn't going to work for you and you'll have to cut your losses and move on. If it's any consolation, this thread helped convince me to go with Dunlop and a non-SleepEZ manufacturer. I didn't like the sound of your problems with the cover. Not much help for you but it did help us.

For the kids we got plain old medium six inch cores of Dunlop latex with simple covers. Much cheaper than the fancier alternatives and seem just as comfortable as our expensive mattress. The Dunlop is denser at the bottom than the top so it is sort layered without all the layers. Much simpler and more straight forward IF it works for you. The Dunlop isn't as wiggly. See the Talalay vs. Dunlop threads.

We used a cheap velour cover from eBay for my son's mattress. Works great. Comes in lots of sizes. Around $30 plus shipping - depending on the size.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ZIPPERED-VELOURCOVER-for-10-QUEEN-MEMORY-FOAM-MATTRESS_W0QQitemZ110220660299QQihZ001QQcategoryZ20479QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am going to go back and try an old configuration because I think it was not used to latex yet.

Don't let me being crazy :) dissuade anyone from trying Sleepez, they really are a great company. I am just adjusting I think

Spoke to Sean. I am going to go try an original configuration without their cover and see how it is.

Soft
Medium
Firm

Wish me luck! :)
Reply #56 Feb 9, 2008 2:34 PM
Novahelp, what about trying the Brylane topper we are all ordering? It is only one inch thick and maybe that's all the cushion you need for your hips. It is not so thick that you negate the support of the firmer layers beneath.

I am also a side sleeper and on too firm a surface my hips go numb, but when I tried our 3 inch PU camping foam on top of the firm mattress, while it relieved the pressure points in my hips, itt allowed my spine to sink in too much and I was waking up with lower back pain.

3 inches for your soft layer is too much in my opinion. If you can get your support layers right I think one or two inches of “cush” on top is all you need. Would Sean send you a 2 inch or 1.5 inch soft layer to try instead of the standard 3 inch? When I talked to him, he said he could get a 1.5 inch topper for me if I wanted.

Good luck – I know what it’s like to be exhausted yet dread going to bed at the same time...
Reply #57 Feb 9, 2008 2:36 PM
Novahelp, In my opinion a 2.8 or 3" of soft latex layer is usally too soft and to get the benefits of latex and have firm support and softness on your pressure points and not pushing back against you, I would go with a less thick topper (1" or 1.5" or 2.0") in the firmness you like (it sounds like that is soft) and firmer layers underneath. This is what works best for me and I am very comfortable. I could not sleep on such a thick soft latex core or  a very firm latex core without a soft topper.  I am more comfortable than I was with a conventional mattress.
Reply #58 Feb 9, 2008 4:25 PM
"After all the cheerleading in this forum on how great latex is, returning this thing is going to cost me $400."

The above statement about cheerleading is not true. It also appeared to be an attempt to blame others for your predicament. There is a lot of valuable information on this forum, but it's fairly useless if you don't digest it all it all before acting. $348 restocking? You paid $2300 for a SleepEz mattress?

Moving forward: I returned my 3 memoryfoam.com toppers after 30 days (with no restocking and no charge for original free shipping) when it didn't work. I'm working on creating a zoned mattress, but at the moment have 2 1" cheapo Overstock toppers mated (ILD maybe 20-24), over 3" 36 ILD (actually @33) in hip area, 5" of the soft Overstock for shoulders. Everything over an old, firm, failing coil mattress. It's comfortable. Play around with what you have on hand in your remaining time. Your biggest problem may be, as others have noted, the 3" of soft foam (too thick) OR could be a nonstretch cover.
Reply #59 Feb 9, 2008 6:46 PM
mccldwll wrote:
"After all the cheerleading in this forum on how great latex is, returning this thing is going to cost me $400."

The above statement about cheerleading is not true. It also appeared to be an attempt to blame others for your predicament. There is a lot of valuable information on this forum, but it's fairly useless if you don't digest it all it all before acting. $348 restocking? You paid $2300 for a SleepEz mattress?

Moving forward: I returned my 3 memoryfoam.com toppers after 30 days (with no restocking and no charge for original free shipping) when it didn't work. I'm working on creating a zoned mattress, but at the moment have 2 1" cheapo Overstock toppers mated (ILD maybe 20-24), over 3" 36 ILD (actually @33) in hip area, 5" of the soft Overstock for shoulders. Everything over an old, firm, failing coil mattress. It's comfortable. Play around with what you have on hand in your remaining time. Your biggest problem may be, as others have noted, the 3" of soft foam (too thick) OR could be a nonstretch cover.

Oops math error, blame it on the lack of decent sleep, so it will be 232+74+100 (likely)  = $406
Reply #60 Feb 9, 2008 6:52 PM
Here are my various attempts

Arrangement (top to bottom):
Soft
Medium
Firm
Result:: I like it.  The problem is that when I turn from my side or move around, I bottom out in the thing and my hip or butt hits the ground (ouch!) and i sort of rebound off it...

Arrangement (top to bottom):
Medium
Firm
x-firm
Result: Its too hard.

arrangement (top to bottom):
Soft
Medium
Firm
X-firm
Result:  I feel like I am sleeping on a rubber ball.

Tonight will try the:
soft
medium
x-firm

to see if perhaps my body can deal with it though I still seem to hit the ground a bit.
This message was modified Feb 9, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #61 Feb 9, 2008 10:49 PM
Try :

Medium

Soft

Firm (Bottom)

Also I think as others, that 3" of soft on top is too much. This configuration  may solve that problem.

If it does not, then get a 2" or even 1" soft layer to try on top of a Medium middle and Firm bottom.

Get 2 Brylane latex toppers and try one and two of those instead of the 3" of soft you have on top.

Reply #62 Feb 11, 2008 10:49 AM
novahelp, I wonder if you would feel less like you are on top of a rubber ball if you put your layers back inside the case - and try something like medium/soft or medium/firm and put a one or two inch soft topper on top of the whole thing. The case is an important part of the mattress. It holds the latex together and gives it some oompf and should dampen some of the rubberyness of the latex. IIRC, you had problems with hammocking when you had a soft top layer inside the case. I can't remember if you had tried a medium top layer inside the case. I wonder if the case will stretch a bit over time so you'd sink into a medium layer but still have the structure of the case to provide support. The top of the case should fit tightly over the latex and conform to it - like a thick mattress pad.

If the case doesn't fit tightly and/or doesn't conform to the top of the latex, I wonder if your real problem is with the case and not the latex. The more I think about it, three layers of Talalay latex on the floor without a case - would be pretty jiggly. I wonder if you might get used to the feeling of the wool top of the case if you had the right latex under it - and a bit of soft cush on top of the whole mattress for hip pressure relief.

I did feel a bit of hip pressure on our quilted wool mattress top for a night or two - but it disappeared when I got used to the new mattress and it stretched out a bit. Making the bottom layer slightly less firm by putting the soft side of the bottom layer up made a slight but significant change. (We have Dunlop which has a firm side and a soft side.) That's why I think the firm rather than extra firm on the bottom layer might work better for you.

Besides, you paid for the case - it's a big part of the cost of the mattress. If it doesn't work for you, SleepEZ should be able to work something out with you besides the simple terry cover. FloBeds has several mattress case choices that seem more flexible than the one SleepEZ case.

Best of luck to you....

Recent Posts