Ikea latex vs. Sealy Embody
Oct 17, 2010 10:36 PM
Hi there,

I am looking for some advice on choosing between 2 mattresses.  1st a little history.   I owned an Englander latex mattress for about 5 years.  After the 4th year, it developed uncomfortable body impressions, just under 1.5" deep, so it didn't qualify for the warranty.  So I went shopping for a new mattress 9 months ago.  Sales person tried to get me to look at latex again, but I would have no part of it after my experience.  So I went with a Sealy Posturpedic firm innerspring.  It felt great for about 3 months, and now it too has very uncomfortable body impressions.  The store has agreed to let me use their one time comfort exchange even though it is beyond the time limit.  They carry the Sealy Embody line, which is a layer of latex ontop of a high density poly foam core.  The one we are interested in(and the one we can afford) is the Inspiration.  It has 3" of latex and 7" of the poly foam core.  After my comfort exchange, I will have to pay another $1200 to get it.  The other mattress we are considering is the Ikea Elsjford.  It is 5.5" of synthetic latex, super firm, and no poly foam core, just latex.  It is $599.  I have read good things about Ikea latex mattresses.  There are almost no reviews of the Embody line from Sealy because they are new.  The Spring Free line had fairly good reviews, but they are no longer available here.  So my question is......3" of natural latex ontop of 7" of poly foam or 5.5" of synthetic latex.  The biggest thing we want to avoid are body impressions, and the poly foam core on the Sealy makes me nervous.  Any help would truly be appreciated.

Mike

Re: Ikea latex vs. Sealy Embody
Reply #20 Oct 19, 2010 4:26 PM
Ok, so I am still considering taking the comfort exchange and selling it on craigslist.  Now looking at the link you sent to the mattress at Costco vs. one from Sleepez.  I haven't had a lot of time to look yet, but I like my first look at the Sleepez.  Opinions?  I'm guessing much much better quality then Ikea or the Embody.

Mike

Reply #21 Oct 19, 2010 5:45 PM
REDDOG1970 wrote:

Ok, so I am still considering taking the comfort exchange and selling it on craigslist.  Now looking at the link you sent to the mattress at Costco vs. one from Sleepez.  I haven't had a lot of time to look yet, but I like my first look at the Sleepez.  Opinions?  I'm guessing much much better quality then Ikea or the Embody.

Mike

I don't quite understand.  You are going to buy a new one through the comfort exchange and then sell it right away?  If so, then you might want to get a cheaper one, so your downside is limited, and it might be easier to sell something at a lower price.  Seems easier and less risky to sell the one you have, but obviously that is not new condition.   I guess you would have to figure out what each could be sold for.

Sleepez is good if you think you want to be able to customize fairly specifically to your needs.  Also, if you want one half different than the other.  It might have a better cover as well, with some wool fill.   You can also choose talalay (blended or 100% natural) or dunlop or a combo of the 2.  

Downside of course is that it costs more, and I think you would have to pay the cost of return shipping.  You would have to pack up and ship it back, where Costco would come and pick it up.

I think either is better quality than a foam based Embody, but that does not mean that you would like them more.

Reply #22 Oct 19, 2010 6:18 PM
I was confused for a second when you mentioned a link to Sleepez in this thread until I realized that I had linked to the wrong place. The link was supposed to go to the Sams club mattress with 3" of 5 zoned talalay on top over 6" of HR foam. I didn't mean to recommend this but I just wanted to show you a mattress that was very similar but (IMO) superior to the insightful (3" latex over a thicker layer of foam) at a lower cost. The link in the other post is now fixed. Having said that the sleepez special (now it's linked correctly) would also be superior to the Insightful. It is a 3 layer 3 zoned mattress made from 100% natural Dunlop for 1295 so in the range of your budget.

Here are the pluses and minuses of 4 mattresses that are in the range of your budget as I see them.

Sleepez: $1295. 8" of good quality 3 zoned natural Dunlop latex. Has a comfort guarantee if you don't like it but you pay shipping. Initial shipping for the mattress is free. Unclear if you would be returning the whole bed or just the top layer for a comfort exchange on their special which would affect shipping charges (I would call and ask or perhaps someone here knows but I would guess it is a layer). Very trustworthy merchant.

Arizona mattress: $1295. 8" (well 7.6 actually) of all Talalay latex blend which many people prefer particularly in the top layer. The cover is nicer (has 1.5" of wool not just cotton). Comfort exchanges can be done with the top layer which means the shipping cost is less than if you had to ship the whole bed. There is an initial shipping charge for the bed but not a lot since it ships UPS so factor that into the cost. You get a bonus (I believe it's currently 2 latex pillows) when you buy. Very trustworthy merchant.

Costco: $1395. 10" of natural Dunlop latex. Somewhat flippable (the inner layers have to be removed and flipped so you are sleeping on the correct side of the cover). This means it has 2 firmness choices built in, one on each side so while the level of "customization" is limited to 2, it does not involve shipping anything. Basic cover. If you don't like either of the 2 comfort choices, it costs nothing to ship back. Very trustworthy merchant.

Latexmattressshop: $1124.10 with their 10% coupon. 8" of natural Dunlop 7 zoned latex. Nicest cover of the lot with bamboo, wool, and quiltable latex. You can select 1 of 3 comfort levels when you order but you cannot do a layer exchange after you have it. Free shipping if you decide to return it. Initial shipping is also free. Seemingly trustworthy merchant but not as well known here as the others. Can upgrade to the next model with 10" of latex and latex/wool/bamboo cover for $1385.10 with their 10% coupon (just to compare with the Costco).

In my view, all of these represent very good choices but have slight differences in the quality of mattress, prices, adjustability, and difficulty and expense of return. You may have to pay tax on the Costco but the others would be tax free unless you lived in their state (strangely enough all 3 of them are in Arizona). All of them would be better than the insightful upgrade in my opinion. All of them (exept the Costco) would also be happy to talk with you to advise you on the comfort level that would be best for you in their experience. What level of risk/value you feel is better for you or even whether to go this route at all is of course part of your own personal decision.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 19, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #23 Oct 19, 2010 6:36 PM
Sandman,

The idea was to exchange the bed he has with a similar quality and price mattress, perhaps a little firmer or softer (I would go firmer because they tend to cost a little less perhaps leaving a little more in your budget and also because I would feel a little better about selling it). He would now have a brand new mattress. Now he could use the money he would have spent on the insightful upgrade to get a superior all latex mattress as in the choices in the last post. He would now have 2 brand new mattresses. He could now sell the one he exchanged for as an unused mattress or keep it if that was his choice.

Phoenix

Reply #24 Oct 19, 2010 7:15 PM
OK, I see where you are going.  Probably a better strategy than selling a used one, but more hassle and possibly risk.  I assume no hidden delivery costs or anything like that?

I assume Mike can use the $585 credit to buy anything?  Or does it have to be equal or greater value?  If he buys a $585 mattress (costing zero out of pocket), then anything it sells for would be pure "profit".   If he puts up $1200 to buy the Embody, then he would have to sell it for $1200 or greater to make a profit.  There would be risk of not getting the $1200 back.

So, the question is what should he buy to get the greatest "profit" (really money back to reduce the loss).  This assumes he is not going to use it at all to maximize the resale value.  I think new and never used would have a significant premium over anything used.  I would keep it is the plastic wrapping and never touch it.

I guess one would have to know the market for such things.  I assume it would probably be at least 30% below what one could buy it in the store for?

Have you tried to have the store just give you some money back and let you sell the one you have?  I did that once.

p.s. I haven't seen those discount Sleepez ones before.  I thought sleepez would be more than Costco, however it is 8" vs. Costco's 10".

This message was modified Oct 19, 2010 by sandman
Reply #25 Oct 19, 2010 10:40 PM
Doing a little math here and pursuing the refund option (which would be great if it could happen). You paid $1200 for your mattress and boxsprings (you can keep the cover). You are going to lose around $300 no matter what you do ($199 for the comfort exchange and another $100 or so from the price manipulations on the box spring and/or the price of an exchange mattress). That means that if you could return the mattress and boxspring and get $900 back for them, that would be your best option of all. I would probably even take less than this just to walk away given what you know now (unless you wanted a spare mattress). If they let you do that and start over (not with them) then I would be really happy in your shoes ... but I somehow doubt that they will.

The next best option would be to go in the direction we have been going and sell the new but similar mattress with the boxspring and then buy a foundation (a decent slatted one with no springs) for your new latex mattress. I'm not sure what model of posturepedic you have but the lowest priced of the posturepedics in a king here is the Bryant park which is $839 for the set in a King. I'm guessing that you have a better model than this unless you paid a lot more than you needed to ($839 is not the lowest price online) but if it was this one then 60% of that would be around $500. I don't really know if that would sell on Craigslist but it seems to me that for a mattress that had never been used and was still in plastic it wouldn't be a bad deal. If your model is higher, then of course the price would be more.

The worst case is that you would have a better (less polyfoam in the firm) mattress that by itself or with a topper could make a decent guest mattress ... and you would have a really nice mattress to sleep on for yourself.

Phoenix

Reply #26 Oct 20, 2010 11:24 AM
Why is there such an aversion to the Sealys?

I've been mattress shopping for about the past month...I have tried several latex mattress including the Natural Choice Hotel Collection by Macy's, & a few other mattress store brands that weren't as familiar to me & I can't remember.

I tried the Embody line, and by far out of all mattresses I've tried, the Embody Shelter was the most comfortable. Of course I would love to save some money over the nearly $2900 for the Cali King Embody Shelter, but again, all the mattresses I've tried did not compare to in terms of comfort, spring, and support. How can I know I will be happy with something I order online, when it seems so many other latex mattresses did not match up to what admittadly seems like a pretty meager setup from a spec standpoint on the Shelter (only 6.5" latex).

Thanks for your input.

Reply #27 Oct 20, 2010 12:18 PM
Valis wrote:

Why is there such an aversion to the Sealys?

I've been mattress shopping for about the past month...I have tried several latex mattress including the Natural Choice Hotel Collection by Macy's, & a few other mattress store brands that weren't as familiar to me & I can't remember.

I tried the Embody line, and by far out of all mattresses I've tried, the Embody Shelter was the most comfortable. Of course I would love to save some money over the nearly $2900 for the Cali King Embody Shelter, but again, all the mattresses I've tried did not compare to in terms of comfort, spring, and support. How can I know I will be happy with something I order online, when it seems so many other latex mattresses did not match up to what admittadly seems like a pretty meager setup from a spec standpoint on the Shelter (only 6.5" latex).

Thanks for your input.

The problem is what exactly are you getting for $2900?  What kind of latex?  What ILD rating?  What kind of foam is underneath?  How long will that foam last? Can you return it?  You can get 6" of high quality foam and 6" of latex for about half of that, so what is the extra premium for? 

Without knowing that, I would not buy it.  That does not mean it is not comfortable and that you would not like it.

Reply #28 Oct 20, 2010 3:14 PM
sandman wrote:

The problem is what exactly are you getting for $2900?  What kind of latex?  What ILD rating?  What kind of foam is underneath?  How long will that foam last? Can you return it?  You can get 6" of high quality foam and 6" of latex for about half of that, so what is the extra premium for? 

Without knowing that, I would not buy it.  That does not mean it is not comfortable and that you would not like it.

Exactly.

Laying on beds with the same specs, I would say the Sealy was more comfortable....Why is that? That's the question I have, & is it as simple as the ingredients/components. Does it have something to do with the build?

Otherwise it's a no brainer to order one of these internet only companies..just afraid that I would come to the same conclusions as I did with the beds that looked better from the standpoint of foam specs, but were just not as comfortable.

*shrug*

Reply #29 Oct 20, 2010 3:42 PM
Valis wrote:

Exactly.

Laying on beds with the same specs, I would say the Sealy was more comfortable....Why is that? That's the question I have, & is it as simple as the ingredients/components. Does it have something to do with the build?

Otherwise it's a no brainer to order one of these internet only companies..just afraid that I would come to the same conclusions as I did with the beds that looked better from the standpoint of foam specs, but were just not as comfortable.

*shrug*

What did you try in comparison? Were the others too soft, too firm, or what?  Were they 100% latex?

Maybe you like the feel of the non-latex foam base.  It is possible that it feels better now, but will soften up too much (and possibly get body impressions) too quickly?  Hard to say.  Do you know anything about the density or other details of the foam base below the latex? 

It is possible that their "smart" latex has a different feel as well.  I don't enough about to know if there is a significant difference from other latex out there.

It is possible that this will be the one you like the most.   I don't think it will last nearly as long as an all latex (assuming not 100% synthetic) mattress, but it is possible that a well made foam base can last quite a while.   Tempurpedic uses a foam base as well, and some people are happy with those for many years.   Not sure how the quality of their foam base would compare to the Sealy.  

This message was modified Oct 20, 2010 by sandman

Recent Posts