I love my mattress!
Mar 17, 2010 5:21 PM
hi everyone, again,

I haven't posted in a while, because I've been enjoying my bed! Took a bit of tweaking, but finally got the combination that feels really good. Here it is (from bottom up):

3" LUX-HQ --FoamDistributing ($120--king size)

3" HD36-HQ--FD ($120)

1.5" HD36 eggcrate--FD ($50)

1.5" supersoft eggcrate--FD ($30)

1" latex ILD 20 (or 22?)--FoamByMail ($100)

All on top of a platform bed with regular cotton/poly mattress pad.

I had a few different layers, including memory foam, another latex layer, another supersoft eggcrate layer, wool topper...played around a LOT with them, then finally got this combo and really love it. It's a bit cushiony on top but very supportive...I was having trouble previously with the bed being too soft, but this is really heavenly now. My boyfriend, who can sleep anywhere and usually doesn't even notice the mattress, can't stop raving about it; he says it's like heaven, and is the perfect combo of soft yet very supportive.

Only problems (there have to be some!): I awaken sweating every night, even in middle of winter with almost no clothing. AND, unfortunately, i originally created this bed to have no motion, because i'm supersensitive to it and can't sleep with partner any more--but I've come to realize that no mattress will have absolutely zero motion, which is why i'm considering slicing the bed and making two separate twins out of it! 

But again, i have to emphasize how lovely this mattress is! I know it's individual preference, but i really think those of you who want a little cushion yet a lot of support would really like this one! It's delicious.

Thank you to everyone on this forum who, with their great wisdom of mattresses, helped me in building this one! I really appreciate it! 

Re: I love my mattress!
Reply #2 Mar 18, 2010 12:42 AM
I envy you. I am curious how long the HD is going to last, so please post back - hopefully many years from now - when it starts to give out.

I tried HR (not sure exactly what the difference is between HR and HD) for a year or more and I couldn't get it quite right. But maybe your HD is better than my HR. And I never tried it with a soft latex topper.

Anyway, good luck with it and thanks for posting!

And for $420 for a King, you can certainly afford to replace it in a few years if necessary. I think this sounds like a very good recommendation for those who can't afford an all-latex mattress.

This message was modified Mar 18, 2010 by jimsocal
Reply #3 Mar 18, 2010 10:23 AM
What are you using for a mattress cover?
Reply #4 Mar 18, 2010 11:53 AM
Congrats!  I hope it keeps working for you. 

I think all of the PU foam you have does trap the heat.  Probably more than all latex.  Putting your wool topper may help, but I think it has to be pretty thick.

I now think that wool does help moderate high temperatures.  However, I will not be really sure until I test again in warm weather.

Reply #5 Mar 18, 2010 1:37 PM
I'm using just a cotton/poly mattress cover.  Sandman, you may be right in the PU foam trapping heat...I tried using the wool topper but it didn't seem to make much of a difference. I'm resigned to sweating each night, at least for now. ;) Maybe one day I can get an all-latex mattress.

Jim, the support feels consistent and good right now; we'll see how that goes. But you're right--it's not very expensive to replace certain components of the mattress.

Reply #6 Mar 18, 2010 3:31 PM
sandman wrote:

Congrats!  I hope it keeps working for you. 

I think all of the PU foam you have does trap the heat.  Probably more than all latex.  Putting your wool topper may help, but I think it has to be pretty thick.

I now think that wool does help moderate high temperatures.  However, I will not be really sure until I test again in warm weather.

Sandman, it has been my experience that wool does just like they say: it regulates temperature. It's cooler in summer and warmer in winter! (At least in terms of a mattress topper. Not sure I would want to wear wool in the summer! wink  (Maybe a light sweater on cool night, though.)

That's why I keep trying to use my wool topper even though at times its thickness with lack of support seems to cause me problems. I love the feel of it, it really makes laying down feel more luxurious. IF I had it to do over again, I'd buy a thinner one; mine is about 2" when fluffed up.

Reply #7 Mar 18, 2010 3:43 PM
I like what you've done. Its refreshing to see this because it seems that very few on this forum are building things themselves anymore, most all seem to be buying the retail finished mattresses.  The retailers have good products, there's no doubt about it.  But your grand total for a very nice King setup is a whopping  $420.  Wow! Remarkable! That right there should be proof that you do not have to spend two to three thousand dollars for a good mattress.  I have also considered doing what you've done for a second mattress in our home. There's no good reason that the excellent LX foam could not be a substitute for some of the lower layers in a Latex DIY bringing the overall cost down.

You could probably bring the heat down by spending more money and replacing some of the PU foam layers on top with latex thicker than 1", but it sounds like you'll probably find a way to work around this.  Be sure and let us know how you deal with this as the weather gets warmer.

Bill

Reply #8 Sep 15, 2010 10:06 PM
Pretty interesting build, I know its been a while any updates?

Recent Posts