Help me with latex bed configuration please
Oct 10, 2010 3:16 PM
Background info:

Currently we have a very firm queen sized spring mattress with minimum padding, and a 2" 32 ILD talalay latex topper.  We are finally ready to upgrade and are looking for a king sized mattress, or 2 twin xls.  I'm not too thrilled with spring mattresses ( my previous bed was a think cotton futon with a foam core).  We are looking at getting a latex bed.

me:  5'6", 140 pounds, side sleeper, issues with mid and lower back pain, pressure pain on the side

hubby:  6'4", 260 pounds, side and stomach sleeper, low back pain, pressure pain on the side

I find the 32 ILD topper to be a little too firm.  While it provides some cushioning, for the most part I float on top of it.  Hubby sinks into it, causing me to roll toward him.  He also says the topper feels a little "bouncy".

Talked to Sleepez, was told about their 8" special, and here's what they suggested for a split configuration: 

Topper:  for both me and him 2" soft, 20 ILD

my side:  3" medium (32 ILD), 3" firm ( 38 ILD)

his side:  3" firm (38 ILD), 3" X firm (44 ILD)

They said the 100% natural Dunlop is firmer than Talalay, and Dunlop will support hubby better, although I may prefer the more plush feel of Talalay.  The price is the same for either type.  I have never slept on a Dunlop mattress so I have nothing to compare it against.  I do like the feel of the Talalay topper we have and like the "plush" feel of it.

One of my concerns is to have enough support for my husband so he does not bottom out or excessively curve his spine.  Would Dunlop be a better choice than Talalay?

Is he going to feel more "bouncy" on a Dunlop than a talalay? 

Does Dunlop last as long as talalay?

Can we do a combination of Dunlop and talalay?  BTW the Dunlop and Talalay layers are of slightly different height so if we do this we have to make sure the number of Dunlop and talalay pieces are the same on either side.

Will the 20 ILD topper be too soft for us?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Recent Posts