Frustrated with DIY surgery bed and need topper help!
Apr 2, 2012 6:51 PM
Last fall (I think it was last fall) -- we got inspired by the folks here and cut open our 7 yr old Stearns and Foster E King mattress (posted pics here too). We pulled out all the crappy foam and put in 2" of 32 and 1" of 20 ILD latex from Foam by Mail. We have tried a Cuddlebed topper from Costco and I liked it at first -- but now -- meh-- so we took it off. We had a piece of 2" Overstock memory foam that we took out -- I just felt it was beginning to 'lose its memory'. Then we tried a different 2" MF topper from Costco -- I REALLY didn't like that -- my hips hurt! We tried both of the MF on top and under the FBM 20. So now we are sleeping on just the latex. I've read here that people think FBM's 20 is really something between a 24-28. Whatever it is, it is really just too hard -- though it feels soft when I just push down with my fingers -- but when I lay down -- it is hard. For me it isn't horrible -- it is better than the floor or a board -- but it's just not gonna work long term. My husband is suffering a lot more than I am. So -- where do we go from here?

Our stats -- I am 5'2" and 170ish (sigh) side and back sleeper (more back recently cause of how firm the bed is). Jim is 6'4" and 210 -- mostly side sleeper. 

He's getting tempted to just start from scratch which would be a cheap firm Sealy king from Costco (what we can afford at the moment) at around $600.

Other options are 1" of softer talatech latex from SLAB which is $274 + tax -- I'm leaning toward 19 ILD (but don't know btween the 19 and 24).

There's this from Arizona Mattress 2" 22ILD -- but I don't know where it's from and don't want to get another too firm piece. But the price is good -- $239.

Also this from Sleep EZ -- 1.5" of blended talalay $220 + $50 for shipping -- it says it's 22-24 ILD -- again wondering if it will it be soft enough? 

Finally I've considered 1" of the 5.3 lb density MF from foam order (I think it was shovel99's rec?) for $122 + shipping.

I'd would LOVE to hear any opinions of anyone here. Thanks!

Recent Posts