Firm vs Plush - please advice
Oct 13, 2010 1:39 PM
Greetings.

I have read posts going into the last few pages, the FAQ and the highlighted threads, so hope I won't ask something that's been answered before. If I do, please point me in that direction and close this thread.

I have two problems to address with my mattress requirements. I currently own a queen sized plush mattress.

1) I wake up really tired all the time. I thought this was just me (for 3 years since I bought the mattress!!), but reading on the forum gives me other ideas. I also have a specific tolerance for mattresses. I have an old shoulder/elbow injury that flares up to the point of immobilizing my arm if I sleep on a firm mattress. But these days, even my plush mattress is starting to hurt.

2) My wife needs a firm mattress otherwise she wakes up with a bad headache and is forever unrested as well.

We're both side sleepers, and I try my best to avoid my bad side. We're both 5ft 9in, weigh in at 140 and 170 lbs.

So, my question is, how do I go about finding the right mix? Ideally, I'd like one half of the bed to be somewhat plush for me (and I need to find the right amount of softness) and the other half to be firm. One option is to buy a firm mattress and buy a soft topper for myself. The other is this mattress I found in a store that is half firm and half soft. It's about $800 and is slightly over my budget, but I guess this is an important investment and I have to grin and bear it?

Any advice would help. Thanks!

This message was modified Oct 13, 2010 by thanatos

Recent Posts