Durability of pocket coils?
Nov 12, 2011 10:50 PM
Hi all-- as we progress, I'm doing my due diligence on pocket coil systems as well, as an option to consider along with foams and such. I'm specifically reasearching the Berkeley Ergonomics beds, but generally other high quality pocket coils as well.

A have a number of questions that I'm hoping you can shed some light on regarding quality. I've learned that the Berkeley Ergonomics "Willow" or "Alpine" model is as follows:
- 1530 pockets coils for a king- they are honeycombed like the attached photo.
- Since it's honeycombed, some are taller & others shorter. I believe the shorter rows are ~13.75 gauge & the taller rows are ~16.75 gauge. (2.1mm & 1.4mm since they are German coils)
- Coil tensile strength is 1900-2100N/mm2 (not sure what this means)
- there is then 2" of latex on top of the coils and a wool cover.

Primarily I wondered about the following:-the durability of pocket coils in general, but specifically with the stats above.
- the coil count listed above for a king
- if honeycombed multilevel structure adds to the strength or durability
- if adding a topper of wool & latex would extended the life of this set- by buffering the coils a bit more than just the 2" of latex or if it doesnt matter at all.

And then lastly in my digging, I've read various conflicting things about foundations for this type of bed. Whether a solid wood foundation is best or whether a flexible slat foundation is best. One source said that coil beds like this should NOT be paired with a flexible slat foundation. Sovn of course tells you that they were built to go together. So, just wondering thoughts on that too.

In addition to Berkeley Ergonomics, Green Sleep, etc...-- are there other high quality pocket coil beds I should research?

Are high quality pocket coils as durable as other coil systems? As durable as latex? Much less durable, etc?

My primary goal is still to find a bed construction that does not sink, sag, and soften for many years!!!!! I am a stomach sleeper & beds I select are almost always great for several months, and then they quickly begin to sag, soften, and mush. Then the back pain always sets in.

I do like the feel of latex, but could not seem to situate with the feel of an all latex bed for some reason. So- was contemplating a simple configuration of high quality coil system with 2" of 25 ILD talalay latex with wool cover.

All thoughts welcome & appreciated!

http://sovn.com/latex-mattresses/models

Recent Posts