Durability of pocket coils?
Nov 12, 2011 10:50 PM
Hi all-- as we progress, I'm doing my due diligence on pocket coil systems as well, as an option to consider along with foams and such. I'm specifically reasearching the Berkeley Ergonomics beds, but generally other high quality pocket coils as well.

A have a number of questions that I'm hoping you can shed some light on regarding quality. I've learned that the Berkeley Ergonomics "Willow" or "Alpine" model is as follows:
- 1530 pockets coils for a king- they are honeycombed like the attached photo.
- Since it's honeycombed, some are taller & others shorter. I believe the shorter rows are ~13.75 gauge & the taller rows are ~16.75 gauge. (2.1mm & 1.4mm since they are German coils)
- Coil tensile strength is 1900-2100N/mm2 (not sure what this means)
- there is then 2" of latex on top of the coils and a wool cover.

Primarily I wondered about the following:-the durability of pocket coils in general, but specifically with the stats above.
- the coil count listed above for a king
- if honeycombed multilevel structure adds to the strength or durability
- if adding a topper of wool & latex would extended the life of this set- by buffering the coils a bit more than just the 2" of latex or if it doesnt matter at all.

And then lastly in my digging, I've read various conflicting things about foundations for this type of bed. Whether a solid wood foundation is best or whether a flexible slat foundation is best. One source said that coil beds like this should NOT be paired with a flexible slat foundation. Sovn of course tells you that they were built to go together. So, just wondering thoughts on that too.

In addition to Berkeley Ergonomics, Green Sleep, etc...-- are there other high quality pocket coil beds I should research?

Are high quality pocket coils as durable as other coil systems? As durable as latex? Much less durable, etc?

My primary goal is still to find a bed construction that does not sink, sag, and soften for many years!!!!! I am a stomach sleeper & beds I select are almost always great for several months, and then they quickly begin to sag, soften, and mush. Then the back pain always sets in.

I do like the feel of latex, but could not seem to situate with the feel of an all latex bed for some reason. So- was contemplating a simple configuration of high quality coil system with 2" of 25 ILD talalay latex with wool cover.

All thoughts welcome & appreciated!

http://sovn.com/latex-mattresses/models

Re: Durability of pocket coils?
Reply #1 Nov 12, 2011 10:51 PM

Reply #2 Nov 13, 2011 12:18 AM
Dallasgirl,

Leggett and Platt claims 'the majority of innersprings are from L&G'.

http://www.beddingcomponents.com/innersprings.asp

btw, if that Embody on a 'box spring' type of foundatin (the kind almost all innersprings matt ..s are on?

I thought generally firm for stomach, little less firm for back and more plush for side sleepers, generally speaking.  So, you'd need a firm mattress that stays firm.

----------------------------------

If you're at a mattress store that has Tempurpedic, have a look at the fixed foundations for them.

Before I set the TP foundation down, I was able to pull the fabric underneath aside enough to spot a definite vertical wood spine that runs right down the center top, head to toe.  I don't see any way this foundation could sag one iota.  The thing probably weighed over 50 lbs as opposed to the 25 lb box springs from all other S brands. 

This message was modified Nov 13, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #3 Nov 13, 2011 1:40 AM
Hi Dallasgirl--I'm not sure if Berkeley Ergonomics is connected with European Sleepworks in Berkeley, California, but it looks like it could be.  I purchased the Nordic about eight years ago which looks comparable to the Magnolia on the sovn site.  I also purchased the separate pillow top.  I can tell you this mattress is very firm, or at least it was for me.  I am about 120 lbs. and a side sleeper.  Because of exteme pressure, I would get numb arms, sore shoulders and hips and end up on my stomach.  Also, contrary to the claims, this bed slept hot.  I don't know why, but it did.  I gave it to my son and he loves it.  It is still in great shape--still flat with no dips or impressions of any kind.  It is really heavy and almost impossible to move (california king). When you do move it, the insides shift around and you have to try to reposition it.  They actually delivered the mattress in several pieces. The pocketed coils were in sections in bags and they put it all together in the bedroom.  It has the adjustable slats.  We have never tried it on anything else, so I don't know how it would change the feel.  Hope that helps.
Reply #4 Nov 13, 2011 10:31 AM
Hi Princesspea! Yes- European Sleep Works is also Berkeley Ergonomics beds. BE sells their beds through a handful of boutiques around the country- Sleep Works & Sovn included. And yes- the Nordic and the Magnolia should be the same! I'm glad to hear at least that it's still not sagging!

A few quick questions if you have a moment--

- Do you recall which firmness level you chose? A, B, C, or D?

- May I inquire how big your son is? If he's an adult, I assume he's larger than 120lbs and thus putting more pressure on the bed? I ask b/c my husband and I are both larger than 120lbs! If he's a child, he's probably much easier on the mattress b/c less weight.

- May I ask how many year's he's been sleeping on it? The full 8 years?

I'm sorry it was too firm for you. I'm wondering if the Willow might be a good fit for us. While the Nordic only has 1" of latex, the Willow has 2", which makes it just a bit softer. I liked the "C" level- which is firmer coils, no microcoils, and then 2" of soft-medium 25ILD talalay latex over the coils within the wool cover. I also may need a firmer bed b/c I am over 150lbs and a stomach sleeper. My usual problem is not with mattresses being too firm, rather with them getting soft and sagging quickly.

I'm sorry the bed didn't work for your needs, but I'm happy that it sounds like after 8 years, your son is still very happy with it and more importantly, that it's not sagging?

May I ask what you have been sleeping on since you gave this one to your son?

Thanks so much!!!

princesspea wrote:

Hi Dallasgirl--I'm not sure if Berkeley Ergonomics is connected with European Sleepworks in Berkeley, California, but it looks like it could be.  I purchased the Nordic about eight years ago which looks comparable to the Magnolia on the sovn site.  I also purchased the separate pillow top.  I can tell you this mattress is very firm, or at least it was for me.  I am about 120 lbs. and a side sleeper.  Because of exteme pressure, I would get numb arms, sore shoulders and hips and end up on my stomach.  Also, contrary to the claims, this bed slept hot.  I don't know why, but it did.  I gave it to my son and he loves it.  It is still in great shape--still flat with no dips or impressions of any kind.  It is really heavy and almost impossible to move (california king). When you do move it, the insides shift around and you have to try to reposition it.  They actually delivered the mattress in several pieces. The pocketed coils were in sections in bags and they put it all together in the bedroom.  It has the adjustable slats.  We have never tried it on anything else, so I don't know how it would change the feel.  Hope that helps.

Reply #5 Nov 25, 2011 1:16 AM
In ll actuality, I like this type of coil system (although I have not sold it before) because it allows the taller coils to provide alittle softer response before kicking in the firmer shorter coils. Your body has curves that need to be addressed while on your side and should keep your spine level while providing enough "cradling" of your hips and shoulders so as not feel pressure points. The latex should add enough of a cushioning barrier between you and the coils, but only your own back can tell!

If, while you are in your sleep position and using your favorite pillow, ask your partner to look at your spine from behind you... does there appear to be a fairly straight line from the base of your skull through your tail bone and down through your knees? THIS is proper alignment... and if this alignment ALSO feels comfortable to you as the sleeper, you have found a very compatible bed.

What I do not see in your question is how comfortable you are in the bed while sleeping... none of us can truly give you a better choice for your back unless it is not comfortable (and then we would need to hear WHY it is not comfortable) because brand and construction have very little to do if the bed is comfortable...

Sleep Well "dallasgirl"! I miss my old stomping ground in the north LBJ area and hope you are enjoying the Big D! 

Recent Posts