Beckley vs. Viviteque (Latex) Round 1
May 19, 2008 4:18 PM
I have been watching this forum for sometime now. I am amazed with the wealth of information that is on here. You guys know your stuff. I have narrowed down my options.

1) Beckley Bristol in the medium firm (I have a platform bed so they said it would make it more like a firm with that set up). I will probably add some form of topper to this bed.

2) Viveteque 6 inch firm Dunlop Latex mattress as the main foundation. I will add a Talalay latex topper to this, or maybe wool/down.

I have a herniated disk in the lumbar region. I realize being in So Cal that I cannot check out the Beckleys. I have read nothing but good things about them from people on the forum, and some people who found them firm worked it out. They never said they hated it. I have also read that latex is bad for this type of back injury. The latex feels good, but I do not want to spend that much (2200) on a mattress that I will hate in 3 months. I like the feel of a good mattress. Hotel mattresses feel nice, but do not hold up over time. That is the "feel" I am going for.

ANYone who can provide insight or suggestions, I am very thankful for. I want this process to be over, and not to spend any more money on my sleep!

Thank you all. It has been great to see support and such insight on a subject I think people don't really think about, but that is VERY important.

Cheers!

Sweepy
Re: Beckley vs. Viviteque (Latex) Round 1
Reply #1 May 20, 2008 9:42 AM
How lucky you are to be in Southern CA! (I'm from there, but now am up in No. Ca).  You have a chance to go to Custom Comfort Mattress Store and try out 2 sided mattresses!  If you've read anything about anything here, you'll find that most of us agree that the one sided mattresses that have been on the market from about 2003 to now, are CRAP.  Most of us have spent $$$ on some brand or another that only made 1 sided mattress beds, and have come away losing all the $$ we spent.  No matter how expensive, they are all cheaply made ca-ca.

That said, I have not had the chance to come down to Southern Ca to try out Custom Comfort beds myself, but they do have a website, and their website actually has photos of all the mattresses they carry, with descriptions.  There has to be one near you, they have a lot of stores.  I would never put my money in a one sided piece of mattress crap again.  Both my sons sleep on a McRoskey mattress, which is similar to the Beckley.  I would not buy one of these mattresses myself, because they do not seem to have as much cush as I need at my age (middle aged white woman).  My sons are not complaining about the McRoskey's, but then they know I spent a lot of money on them, and probably don't want to rock the boat. 

Anyway, I'd go for a test drive at Custom Comfort.  If Bloomingdale's CA stores had mattresses, I'd try a Shifman, as they still are 2 sided too.  I'd stay away from latex.  I bought/tried a European Sleepworks bed up here in Berkeley, which had latex as it's comfort layer, and I woke up in a sweat along my neck, every single night.  My then 10 yr old son had the exact same bed, and he woke up with a sweaty neck too!  This was in the winter time, and we were not hot during the day, or using too many blankets.  Just a fyi.  I think you have a store that is similar to European Sleepworks down there in So. Cal called Ergo in Irvine and Anaheim.  Their premise is the same---springs over a latex comfort layer, all zipped up.  If you're set on latex, you might want to swing by this store (type Ergo into google and it come's up) to see if it's right for you.

Good luck!  Julie

Reply #2 May 20, 2008 8:36 PM
Julie-I know what you mean about the ESW --hot and sweaty even when the weather and bedroom were cool.  I'm not sure why this was.  I tried a Flobed after that and even though it did not work for me, heat was not an issue.  I also had a McRoskey and hated it--way too firm, but it was nice and cool.  I sent you a PM awhile back.
Reply #3 May 21, 2008 1:01 AM
Princesspea, I just recently was able to join this forum, even though I have been reading the posts for years. . . I don't see a PM from you! I know I get them and can read them, because I recently exchanged a few PM's with Beddybye . . . can you resend it?

I am glad to hear that the sweaty issue wasn't just me and my son with European Sleepworks beds . . . I knew that it wasn't something that was "off" with me, I was nowhere near menopause symptoms, and was not having issues with my health otherwise.  I knew my youngest son wasn't either (lol not even menopausal for him either!) but did not know of anyone else who had tried a ESW bed to compare this disturbing symptom with.

I had such high hopes for McRoskey's too.  But, alas, was not to be the case for me.  I also ran out of money after buying one for each of my sons.  We'd already done the one sided Sealy mattress from Macy's for one of my son's, and ate the 1K after it tanked at 1.5 yrs old.  Such a disappointment, but had to learn the hard way I suppose.  I'm last in line for a new bed, currently sleeping on a twin mattress (no box) from 1999.  At least it's double sided!  It's not hammocking, it's just too small for me.  At this stage in life, I'm not going to settle for anything smaller than a queen.  The last bed I bought that was double sided was one made by a company named "Masterpiece", which sold out to Serta, lasted for a year after that buyout, and then disappeared as well.  It's in the master bedroom and my husband is enjoying it still, at 7 yrs old.  It's flipped/turned and is in decent shape.  Snoring keeps us sleeping in separate bedrooms, thus, the last bed purchase is for me. . . always last in line!

I've followed just about everyone's sleep/bed dilemmas, and learned a great deal by others mistakes, and I"m thankful for that!  Hope I can give back in some way.   I'm tired of always being tired~~~ Julie

Reply #4 May 21, 2008 5:07 PM
My choice was the Beckley over the latex and we are happy with it.  It is sturdy and stands up - after a year or so it looks brand new.  Yes, we do use toppers, it is too firm otherwise BUT there is nothing that can compress to any great degree.  My partner has herniated disks and cannot handle the latex at all.  Doing fine on the Beckley springs.

The only thing I wish we had done differently is to get a king size, and probably, a split one as we do feel some motion transfer.  We went with the Hastens topper because we wanted to preserve that horsehair feeling but you could certainly do it cheaper with memory foam and other types of toppers.  Good luck with your choice.

This message was modified May 21, 2008 by confusedbedbug

Recent Posts