Already have some latex toppers...help me pick the correct ILD cores to make an all-latex bed
Jan 30, 2008 6:11 PM
Right now I have a 2" 32 ILD and 1" 24 ILD topper from Latex International on top of a firm innerspring mattress.

I originally started with the 2" 32 ILD and that didn't alleviate my hip numbness at all (side sleeper, 150-160 lbs).  The 1" 24 ILD helped, but I think I need a little more thickness, so I was considering ordering another 1" 24 ILD from sleeplikeabear.com (who has been excellent).  Problem is, my bed is already getting tall and I really don't want it to be another 1" in height.

So, if I were to build a complete Latex bed (10-12" overall height is the goal), what density ILD cores should I be looking at?  I was even thinking of getting something cheap for the bottom-most layer (maybe from foambymail or something) and then another Latex International topper so at least the top half is all good quality latex.  Foambymail has a 6" latex core with an average ILD of 36 for CHEAP, but I'm not sure that's dense enough for the bottom layer.

What ILDs would you get for the bottom layers to go underneath what I already have to give me good support while alleviating pressure points?  Should/can I go cheap on the bottom layers?  Please help me build my bed!

Thanks!

This message was modified Jan 30, 2008 by jkozlow3
Re: Already have some latex toppers...help me pick the correct ILD cores to make an all-latex bed
Reply #4 Jan 31, 2008 7:33 AM
Top looks good, but I doubt you need both lower layers. Dropping the 36 and going 40 probably sufficient. Remember that ILD varies. Something labeled 36 can average 33/34, labeled 28 can average 25 (personal experience,from pieces received with the original ILD measurement tags).
Re: Already have some latex toppers...help me pick the correct ILD cores to make an all-latex bed
Reply #5 Jan 31, 2008 11:41 AM
What if I wanted to build a 12" mattress?  Keeping in mind that I already have a 1" 24 and a 2" 32, what would you recommend?  I realize that 12" may not be necessary, but 10" is a little lower than I prefer for the bed I currently have, and it seems that all newer sheet sets are being made for deeper mattresses anyway.

Can people make some recommendations for me on a 10 or 12 inch mattress (using 3" latex layers as the maximum).  I prefer 12", but 10" is OK too.

Maybe something like this for a 12"...

2" 24 ILD (already own 1" - would add another 1")
2" 28 ILD
2" 32 ILD (already own)
3" 40 or 44 ILD
3" 40 or 44 ILD

OR...

1" 24 ILD (already own)
3" 28 ILD
2" 32 ILD (already own)
3" 40 or 44 ILD
3" 40 or 44 ILD

And for a 10"...

2" 32 ILD (already own)
3" 36 ILD
3" 40-44 ILD

OR...

2" 32 ILD (already own)
3" 40-44 ILD
3" 40-44 ILD

Please help...Thanks!

Reply #6 Jan 31, 2008 1:42 PM
Suggest go with Door #4, but w/ only 1 ILD 40 to start. If too firm, add a 36. If feels good, add a 40-44.
Reply #7 Jan 31, 2008 2:11 PM
Thanks.  Alright, since I would like a finished height of 12" or so, what if I ordered a 5" piece of x-firm PU foam and put it under 7" of latex to cut down on cost?  I can't imagine that the PU foam would come into play too much with 7" of latex on top of it, would it?

I could do something like...

2" 24 ILD
2" 32 ILD
3" 36-40 ILD
5" x-firm PU foam (kind of acting like a built-in box spring under the 7" of latex)

Then I could get a 12" quilted zippered encasing and place this all on top of a solid plywood (with holes drilled for ventilation) or slatted foundation.

Thoughts?  Or should I just stick with all-latex?

Reply #8 Jan 31, 2008 2:38 PM
The savings is tempting. My concern, though some dismiss it, is a science experiment between the latex and PU layer. IIRC, water loss during sleep roughly a pint. Latex breathes, but PU doesn't. In the desert SW, might be OK, but above 50% relative humidity in other climes could be problematic. And don't count on dehumidification through AC. The vast majority of AC systems are oversized for the space with the result that temperature reaches target way before sufficient moisture is removed so easily end up w/ 60%+ RH. Not good.
Reply #9 Jan 31, 2008 3:37 PM
Maybe I should just stick with latex then.  I live in a very dry climate (Colorado) where most people have humidifiers on their furnaces and few even have central AC due to the dryness and 30+ degree temparature drop at night.  But still, I'm not sure the $300 savings is worth the potential drawbacks in the long run. 

It would be nice to have an all-latex bed, but 12" of latex seems like overkill.  I just wish it were easier to find sheets that fit smaller mattresses.  Plus, I need somewhere around 12" of height or the bed will be too low (although I could add several layers of plywood with holes drilled for ventilation on top of my slatted foundation to raise the mattress).  But sheets will still be an issue if I go too shallow.  Ugh!

Reply #10 Jan 31, 2008 7:23 PM
Eastern slope? CO is pretty dry since swamp coolers are usable there. And, 12" may be overkill at $150/inch--especially when you may end up not liking the support of thick latex (which is why I've turned to zoning). If I were you, I might buy another 1" or 2" topper and see how that works over the mattress.
Reply #11 Feb 1, 2008 7:52 AM
Then go from there.
Reply #12 Feb 1, 2008 9:05 AM
Bed risers are less expensive than foam layers.  Something to consider.
Reply #13 Feb 1, 2008 12:31 PM
MequonJim wrote:
Bed risers are less expensive than foam layers.

...and they're SO attractive.

Recent Posts