Zoning may not work for everyone...
Apr 2, 2008 6:26 PM
After struggling and struggling with various ways of changing the zones of my component style HR foam and latex and memory foam mattress, I decided just on a hunch to try NOT zoning.

So I tried a couple combinations of that and didn't find much improvement but felt that there was potential. So I kept experimenting.

And finally I found what worked, which was getting rid of the zones and using the following combinations of foam layers.

Zoning sure sounds great in theory but for whatever reason (maybe I just never got it "right", though I did try most EVERY combination I could think of, took photos of the alignment of my spine laying on it, etc.) it didn't work for me.

So what finally seems to be working is this:

From the top to the bottom:

Cuddlebed topper

2 x 3/4 latex toppers (maybe 20ILD?)

1" of HR foam - medium

1" of HR foam - firm

2 x 1/2" of HR foam Extra Firm

Sealy Fenway springs

ALSO, and this I think is key:

I started doing these yoga exercises at night and in the morning:

the Cat and the Cow. If you don't know what those are, and want to know, I'll explain.

Re: Zoning may not work for everyone...
Reply #1 Apr 2, 2008 8:45 PM
Did you think about doing what I did... go springs with a great topper on top?
Reply #2 Apr 3, 2008 8:25 AM
Jim

Can't recall if you were always working on top of springs or not. It's when working with all latex that I think zoning is important for some since it's the support system, not comfort layers, you're zoning. Still, nothing works for everyone. BTW, are the sealy springs already zoned--firmer in midsection? Many beds are.
Reply #3 Apr 4, 2008 1:30 AM
mccldwll wrote:
Jim

Can't recall if you were always working on top of springs or not. It's when working with all latex that I think zoning is important for some since it's the support system, not comfort layers, you're zoning. Still, nothing works for everyone. BTW, are the sealy springs already zoned--firmer in midsection? Many beds are.

Yes, I've been working over springs the whole time. I did not notice any zoning with the springs themselves - doubtful I think, considering it's a cheap CostCo Sealy. But next time I rebuild my bed I will take a closer look.

Anyway, this formulation I have now is much better - for me - without the zoning.

Now that I think about it, I doubt the springs are zoned for another reason:

Before when I had only 1 x 1" layer of HR foam, I noticed that the springs seemed to be too soft in my midsection. This led me to believe that maybe the springs are shot - maybe from - ahem - having my wife and I work out the springs in the middle of the bed over the years... So that is why I added the 2nd layer of 1" firm foam, and that seems to have done the trick of making it not sink so much in the middle.

My theory is, for my body at least, that the difference in "feel" between the middle section and the top section when zoning is what my body did not like. I'm a bit like the "Princess and the Pea" in that I seem to be able to feel very slight changes in my mattress, and that difference of density between one zone and another somehow bothers me, actually more than bothers me, it caused pain to my back and/or shoulders.

Or maybe it is just that the perfect "zoning" for my body is to have the same density all the way through.

In any way, this "no zone" system seems to be much better; I've been using it for about a week now. Although I STILL wake up with a sore back, it's much less than it was before.

Meanwhile, I went to a neurologist and he did some simple tests and determined there IS somethng wrong with me neurologically. But he's not sure which. He has taken blood tests, did 2 MRI's - one of my spine and one of my brain - and then had a nerve conduction test done on me. (If you have never had a nerve conduction study done on you, I hope for your sake you never do! If you have, then you know what I mean when I say it is very much like being tortured, as they progressively shock you with higher voltage of electricity, then put needles up and down your arm or shoulder or whatever it is, and then run electricity into those and make you move your arm or whatever until you get a sharp pain. This is my 2nd one andI HOPE I never have to have any more. (Admittedly, I'm somewhat squeamish when it comes to torture! ;-) Don't expect me to keep any State secrets under torture conditions!)

I have not heard back from the spinal mri yet but thank goodness the brain mri was normal. And unfortunately the nerve study also was normal - I would have liked to have found an "explanation" for my symptoms through that test. Am still waiting for the spine mri though I suspect it was fairly normal as well or I'd have heard from my doctor.  

It's ironic that the HMO will spend thousands on these tests which do no good at all, but will NOT pay even $500 for what I think I need, which is Trigger Point Therapy or some type of deep tissue massage therapy. So I go round and round with tests and appointments which will probably end up proving nothing - again. (I went through all this 2 years ago before I got tired of it and the doctor I was seeing was clearly at a loss as to why my arms are tingling and my back is chronically hurting.) So it goes.

Reply #4 Apr 4, 2008 3:30 PM
Gotta run now.

Try one:

http://theracane.com/
Reply #5 Apr 11, 2008 12:41 AM
mccldwll wrote:
Gotta run now.

Try one:

http://theracane.com/

Thanks. I bought one a few months ago and I use it. Mine is a slightly different design but the same idea.

I like it and sometimes it helps. But sometimes it doesn't. I bought the book on Trigger Point Therapy too but you almost have to be a body worker student to really understand and have a feel for the trigger points - there are so many. I do use it though. And some day I hope to be able to afford a Trigger Point therapist. I'm not sure it will work - thus my reluctance to spend the money now - but I am hopeful.

Reply #6 Jun 6, 2008 2:53 PM
So what is the cat and cow?  Stretching out the back I guess.

How is the zoning working for you now?

Recent Posts